The Game Worship Temple thread

Theme Hospital - Bullfrog made some of the best games, even by todays standards games like Theme Hospital are simply amazing. Theme Park and Dungeon Keeper also get honerable mentions.

Fallout 2 - This game got me in to RPGs, it's still today one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Thief 2 - The height of sneak em ups, we've not seen anything as close to this good since Thief 2.

Where to start?

Wolfenstein 3D - One of the first PC games I ever played. Was so young!

Doom - Epic, I remember lanning at my dads office when I was a little dude. So much fun!

Starcraft - Way too many hours on Battle.net

Goldeneye 64 - holy crap. Countless hours with friends. Memorable times.

Quake 3 - Still play this occasionally today. The best competitive FPS still today imo. Well Quake Live is now...

Battlefield 2 - Soooooo many hours playing this. Some of the best gaming moments ever here.

Warcraft 3 - Yeah, another ridiculous amount of time spent on Battle.net

Freelancer - Best multiplayer experience I ever had. Nothing has come close to the time me and two buddies had to fight off 15 shitheads from another clan to escape the Tau-32 system. Shows that good teamwork, tactics, and skill can overcome huge numbers.

Oh god how could i forget Freelancer. I lost count of how many times i played just the single player.... WHy is there no sequel? :(

Also, I forgot one game that I almost never hear get any love - Shogo! Was amazing at the time, and was one of the most fun LAN games, primarily the big city maps as a mech.

Ah, the Red Riot, one of my favorite guns in a game of all time. Funny enough, I ended up running into the guy who modelled it playing CS.

Wolfenstein 3D. Best Game Ever.
Quake 2
RTCW
Aliens Vs. Predator (The 2000 version)
Unreal Tournament
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Manhunt series
Duke Nukem (The side scroller version)
Silent Hill 2
Red Baron
Prey
Half-Life 1 & 2
F.E.A.R. series
Far Cry
BF 1942
Twisted Metal
Wipeout XL, Pure, and HD
infamous
God of War series
and some more that I can't think of right now. All these games are in no particular order, and have all been amazing games that I can play over and over for hours.

My list from oldest to newest:

Super Mario Bros.
Mike Tyson's Punchout
The Simpsons Arcade Game
Sim City 2000
Secret of Mana
Goldeneye 007
Starcraft
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Grand Theft Auto III
Counter-Strike: Source

Well i can remember playing The Ninja on the sega master system as a kid and i being totally captivated with it. Till this day i have fond memories of this game and hold it in high praise. It would only take me 10 minutes to be beat it now but back then it seemed like it was a never ending journey,

Quake 2 - This game here has got to be the most ive ever played. I spent multiple summers, days, weeks, months, years on this game. 56k connection, fov 90 (or 120, depending on how i was feeling that day), and a set of voodoo 2 graphics cards. :) ahh the memories. Most addictive game I have ever played. i would say.Rocket Arena still holds a special place in my heart along with the competitiveness of capture the flag. I use to play a mod called Expert CTF for quake 2. Was some of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. Made a great many friendships as well in this time.

System Shock 2 - Best PC game I've played to date, bar none. Not much more to say. Will always love this game.

Shenmue 1 and 2 for dreamcast also i hold in high praise. Countless weeks spent on these games. Still hoping theirs a third so I can kick Lan Di' ass. :)

Homeworld - great story, music, and graphics
Freespace 2 - the size of the capital ships
Planescape torment - story and character interactions, RIP Black Isle, not even Bioware can come close.
No one lives forever 1&2 - the humor actually made me chuckle
Need for speed porche unleashed - fun but not too complicated for me. I got a MS force feedback wheel just for this game
UT2k4 - countless hours spent on this game.

Looking at my own list I have to agree with the other poster who said they don't make games like they did pre-2005 anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old...

I still remember sitting for hours at my neighbors house (they had a 286 long before I ever got a PC) playing D&D Pool of Radiance and MechWarrior. Those were my first memorable introductions to PC gaming. Still love the original MechWarrior. Starflight was a lot fun too.

Once I got a 486, too much of my youth was spent with X-COM. The original is still a great game, and I still have the floppies somewhere. Also DOOM and Wing Commander and Ultima 6. There was so much to do in Ultima 6. Like eat an entire wheel of cheese for dinner, and make Dupre carry around a boat. Not sure if I ever did finish it.

Fleet Defender: really wish someone would make a modern-day re-boot of that.

After the 486 years I have to agree with Diablo II and Freelancer, though I never did finish the latter. Also the original Ghost Recon series. And the MechCommander series. Spent a lot of time messing around with the MechCommander mission editor.

On the console front, I can still remember being blown away by NHL Hockey on the Genesis. It was easily light years ahead of Blades of Steel. Wore a butt-groove in the sofa playing NHL hockey.

I'm sure there are more, but these all come to mind first.

Last edited:
I'm going to just do the older ones in order of me playing them.

Phantasy Star
Final Fantasy
Dragon Warrior
River City randsom
Blastermaster

Shining Force
Phantasy Star 2
Shining Force 2
Final Fantasy 6
Phantasy Star 4
Chrono Trigger
Lunar 1 and 2 sega CD.

Warcraft 2
Final Fantasy 7
Shining Force 3 - all 3 scenarios

I come here to sing these games praises:

Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Heretic
Hexen
Alien Carnage
Ultima 6! (7&8 too)
Privateer
Earthsiege
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Deus Ex
Half-Life
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
Armored Fist 2

too be continued...

Xenogears is the only game really worthy of being mentioned in this thread, so that's where my list begins and ends.

Final Fantasy for NES: A gift from my grandmother, never played an RPG before then. Great game..

Was my first rpg as well. I think I got to pick this out for myself as a gift from my mom for my 10th birthday.

Theme Hospital - Bullfrog made some of the best games, even by todays standards games like Theme Hospital are simply amazing. Theme Park and Dungeon Keeper also get honerable mentions.

Pretty under-rated game you listed here! What year was that, like 98'?

edit: just checked, it was march of 97', exactly a year before a year and a half was devoured by Everquest (which certainly belongs in this thread as well!)

Revenant.

One of the most under rated action RPG's ever, this game was gold! I wish they had a widescreen mod for it.

Xenogears is the only game really worthy of being mentioned in this thread, so that's where my list begins and ends.

Got bored in the sewer section after you get that blanka dude to join you.

So many memories in this thread! And so many under-rated and amazing games. Got a great nostalgia kick :-D

Can't believe I forgot about Everquest.... I'll admit that game sucked a lot of my time away for a few years and is the reason I haven't played an MMORPG since. lol. (I did play WoW for a few months, didn't hold my interest like EQ did).

I know I'll probably forget some, but here goes off the top of my head:

FPS
---
Wolfenstein 3D -- My first true computer game!
Doom I & II -- First ever Deathmatch!
Quake -- Internets Deathmatch!
Half Life series

RPG
---
Diablo I & II

RTS
---
Warcraft series
Starcraft series

MMORPG
---
WoW -- Epix! (So far my first & only MMORPG to date)

Shadow of the Colossus - completely different from everything else, fantastic art and monster design, great atmosphere

Games that I played to death when I was younger and still had the time:

SNES

New Super Mario Bros. - This is where it all really started for me. Sure I played NES before it but New Super Mario Bros. really got me into gaming because the graphics were so much better than NES

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - I logged so many hours into this game it was unreal. Used to host tournaments at my house to see who was the best in the neighborhood

NBA Jam and NBA Live '95 - I played these to death and especially loved playing them because I was all about basketball everything as a kid

Megaman X - I think that was the title. Anyway, it was the first departure from the traditional Megaman and the best one on SNES. You guys know which one this is even if I labeled it wrong. Loved it and it was sooo hard.

Contra III - I put so many hours into this game and never got past level 4 or 5. My friend and I used to take a day on the weekend to play it and see how far we could get and then we would take a week or two off by playing Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat I until we felt man enough to try again.

PC

Frogger - Don't tell me you guys never played the original Frogger. Yes, it was simple but this was the very first PC game I ever played and I was addicted to trying to get that stupid Frog across the screen. It used to piss me off so badly when the logs didn't come in the sequence you were expecting.

Mavis Beacon Typing - We used to have to do this in my 6th or 7th grade computer class and I am very competitive so I would also be trying to one up whomever could dethrone me in the typing tests. Specifically the car race. (I know, not really a great game but very competitive fun!).

Morrowind - I don't remember much of my life when I was like 12-13 because I spent most of it playing this game. When I first bought it I didn't have a powerful enough card to play it so I ended up begging my dad for a new PC for Christmas and I ended up with an Athlon 64 2000+ (either that or the 3000+) and an Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti-4600. Finally, I could enjoy the game and enjoy I did.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and 2 - Come on, this game was like crack. Building any rollercoast anyway you wished in the hopes of keeping the excitement and thrill gauges high but the vomit gauge low, was a tough task. I miss my 9,000 janitors...

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - It was this or Medal of Honor Allied Assault and I chose this because the box cover was better. Yes, I made the right decision (later bought Allied Assault and didn't care for it). Played the hell out of the multiplayer but could not defeat the final boss without cheats in the singleplayer.

Diablo I - Amazing. Played the rogue and got to the final battle with Diablo but I overwrote my save files back then and I saved right when the battle started and I forgot to go get potions from the witch lady so I never beat him.

There are numerous other games much newer such as Oblivion, Gran Turismo, and the Forza series which have stolen my life but the ones listed above were my dark secrets of enjoyment back when it wasn't so cool to be a gamer when you were also a competitive athlete.

HL2. I don't think this needs a description.

Time Splitters 2 and Future Perfect. I honestly couldn't tell you how many hours my friends and I poured into these games. It was one game where I embarrassed my friends at, strived to unlock everything, or just about all of the unlocks, and could never put down. Hell I got bored a few months back and fired up Future Perfect and had a blast.

Super Smash Bros Brawl. Similar reasons above. Just have fond memories of hanging with my friends playing this together.

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal. Probably the greatest of the series imo. Fun gameplay and great characters.

Honorable Mentions:
Resident Evil 4
God of War series
CoD4
Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 3

Diablo2:LOD (Unfortunately I didn't get the game until LOD was released)
Shining Force: Legacy of great intention (got it with the sega smash pack, best budget purchas ever, and still one of my favorite games)
Lord of the realms 2 (first PC game I really got into)
Warcraft 2 (introduced me to RTS, lots of fond memories with custom games)

Back