The game that started it all!

For me, I'd have to go back to Civilization. For DOS.

By genre:
RTS: Dune 2. Yup, the grand-daddy of all RTSes
FPS: Unreal Tournament. I didn't get into FPS until I was in college.
SIM: Tie Fighter. I paid $50 for a joystick, Tie Fighter, and the Defender of the Empire expansion.
Adventure: Dark Castle on our Mac SE.

Mine was Tribes. I was hanging out at a friends house waiting on a D&D game, when he fires up his computer and starts gaming online. I was blown away at this game. So I bugged him for a few weeks to let me give it a try. At the time, I didnt have a computer to play on and he was very protective of people playing on his system. He finally submitted to my harrassment and allowed me a few minutes of pleasure on his machine.

Thats all it took, I was hooked like a junky. I dropped $1200 in his lap and asked him to build me a machine. Several weeks later, I had my very own machine and internet connection. It was blessed agony for the next few weeks, as I learned how to fly, shoot and game in first person gaming.

I played that game for months afterwards, until I was shown Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear. The rest is history.

probably Zack McKracken although i was very young. Maniac mansion would scare the shit out of me, especially nurse Edna.

California Games, in full 16 color glory. This was the first computer game that was purchase from my father. That game hooked me up to the pc.

I remember Test Drive, the Infocom games, Might and Magic, King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, Elder Scrolls, Simcity (the original), etc. One of my favorite games were the Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and Laura Bow games. The funny thing is that I never played the Ultima and Wizardry series. :(

I miss those games. :(

They should release compilation packages for these games that are compatible with Win XP.

I have fond memories of me and my dad bonding over the super mario bros. on the original NES. But then again, i was only around... 4 years old or so?

Then i have fond memories of Jet Force: Gemini on N64. Those were the days :)

But what i think really got me into gaming, especially first person shooters, was Halo on Xbox. I was maybe... 12 years old, and my brother introduced me to Halo. i played it for hours straight at one time.

the game that got me into pc gaming was rainbox six raven shield, and the game that got me gaming online was counter strike 1.6.

I remember playing Pong and Hangman way back in the day. Played the hell out of Gauntlet and Galaga in the arcades. Used to sink $20+ a night into Gauntlet playing with 3other people. Doom was what got me hooked online on the PC and then I remember upgrading to a Pentium75 just to play Quake in all its not 3d accelerated glory on QW. Played on id's Inferno server alot. It was all over from there. Currently hooked on WOW, looking forward to Conan and Hellgate: London.

First game I ever played online was Jedi Knight, or Rainbow Six, not sure... actually it was probably Rainbow Six at my buddies place, we played that quite often, but the game that really got me hooked was Jedi Knight.

I played that when I was like 12 years old, I used to sneak from the basement where my room was up 4 stories past my parents bedroom and up to my dad's office to play it all night. I was a little addicted...

First game that I ever played online was CS1.2 and played it all the way up to source. Then followed by JK2.

But the game that started my gaming addiction would have to be Heroes of Might and Magic, played on DOS.

I remember my friend showing me Doom, Quake, and Duke Nukem 3D in one night... needless to say I didnt sleep for a long time... and then came Quakeworld, and we finally made clans on an old service called Mplayer and played from there... and old-school Gamespy when it still had gray bars and drop down windows with a much cleaner interface.

The online game that burned online gaming into my restless psyche was Quake: Team Fortress... hours upon hours... I came home at 3:00 ... gamed till 6:00 at night, then tried to call my friend thinking it was only 3 hours after I got home ant it was just 6:00pm. When 15 hours flies by and feels like 3... now THAT is gaming.

The same friend later introduced me to EverQuest... and the rest is history :) ... I've got a good chunk over a year clocked in as me being logged in and playing EQ... and I quit it coming up on 2 years ago this january. I was an officer in a top 2 or the top (depending on the month) raiding guild on a large server (terris thule, later prexus)... that is all you need to know to understand how much I had sacrificed in the name of a game and the people playing it.

A great game that I think a lot of the world missed was Shadow Warrior... any Duke Nukem fan could appreciate the graphics and humor and cool weapons and designs.

First game I ever played online was Jedi Knight, or Rainbow Six, not sure... actually it was probably Rainbow Six at my buddies place, we played that quite often, but the game that really got me hooked was Jedi Knight.

I played that when I was like 12 years old, I used to sneak from the basement where my room was up 4 stories past my parents bedroom and up to my dad's office to play it all night. I was a little addicted...

Ahhh the memories... I used to dial up my buddy (with a PHONE modem) to play Jedi 1 v 1. Sometimes with bots... That game ruled. Not 12 though:eek:

Started with X-Wing on a friend's computer when I was 16. This was early 1993 and you could not get graphics or sound like that on a console. Then I purchased Alone in the Dark 2 to play on my dad's laptop when I was 17. It had so much mood and subtlety compared to anything I'd played before. Then I bought Doom shareware and I was officially hooked to PC gaming. It took me about six months to tire of my dad's laptop and save about five paychecks to get a pretty good computer for the time. The main games I loved on that system were Doom 2, Ecstatica, and Tie Fighter.

I haven't owned a console since SNES.

Blizzard titles in general have held a special place on my desktop.

Starcraft and Diablo(esp d2) got me hooked into pc games. But of course, who could forget pong.

Total Annihilation was not only an imbalanced game, but for that fact alone, it made for some great times. :D

Mine has to be counter-strike 1.3 that started alot of my shooting games and computer building.

Well I started playing games on PC during the Wolf 3D, Doom 1&2 era, but really the game that turned me into a hardware junkie is Descent. After that the tradition continued with Descent II and Quake I. I've been this way ever since.

Back