The game that started it all!

Stiler said:
Hmm, as far as online goes.

Myth I and II were really up there, and Ultima online aswell.

I remember I'd get on B.net really early before school just to cram in some king of the hill or last man standing matches in.

I miss the old bungie.net days, though I still play online thanks to www.playmyth.net :).

Myth II was one of the few games I took a very active role in the community and joined tournaments, etc.

I remember playing in the tournament for the statue of the Mykridian(sp), but I lost on the second round :(.

Our clan won a couple of tourneys...do you remember ~HoL~ Hand of Lathander? :)

The original 16 color SimCity got me hooked on PC games. From there, the next big game for me was Star Flight. For adventure games, it was Legends of Kyrandia 1 which I still play thanks to DOSBox. My first FPS was Catacomb Abyss

Online: Tradewars

Singleplayer: Silent Service on my friends dads commodore when we were like 7-8 years old.

for me it was warcraft 2 and startcraft starcraft more so from there it just went down hill (my grades in school that is i had to goto summer school in 6th) then came Starwars glactic battle grounds then age of empires 2 then wc3 im just getting into fps now....

I played the shit out of Doom 1 and 2. But the game that kept me comming back time and time again was the original Quake. I was also a huge Descent fan.

Lets see...
Online: Anarchy Online. Damn Funcom and their free trail. Yes, I am that much of a noob :)
Overlooked: Wouldn't really consider it "overlooked", but Super Mario RPG kicks major ass. Sadly, this came first to my head for overlooked.

coffee33 said:
Our clan won a couple of tourneys...do you remember ~HoL~ Hand of Lathander? :)

I think so...it's been so long though.

I went by "Wallace" , never did join a clan though.

I wish the Mill was still up and running. Then I wish bungie would re-obtain the rights back to it and make a new one, there's no RTS IMO that came close to the playing experience of it and online community.

Aaron_ATX said:
Online: Tradewars

Singleplayer: Silent Service on my friends dads commodore when we were like 7-8 years old.

I used to play tradewars back in the BBS days. That was the closest thing to a MMOG and a BBS was the closest thing to the internet. I played on an atari 800 with a 300baud modem. Few years later my dad got a Zienith Data Systems laptop, which rocked because it had a 3inch disk drive and a 1200 baud modem.

Legends of Kyrandia: any one need a red garnet? ;)

urbsnspices said:
I used to play tradewars back in the BBS days. That was the closest thing to a MMOG and a BBS was the closest thing to the internet. I played on an atari 800 with a 300baud modem. Few years later my dad got a Zienith Data Systems laptop, which rocked because it had a 3inch disk drive and a 1200 baud modem.

Legends of Kyrandia: any one need a red garnet? ;)

wow, I think I played Legends of Kyrandia.....seems like sooooo long ago. Wasnt a "kings quest" style game?

I think it stands out in my mind because there was one scene where you get the dude kills and he actually cussed.....bitch, or shit or something like that. I can remember being pretty surprised at that....man how old was I at that point......13 or so? Dang. Forgot all about that game.

*edit* says the game was released in 94' ? No way...so I was 16 or so.

Dune II was the game that influenced me the most. This was a long time ago, but I remember playing it religiously. :D

Aaron_ATX said:
wow, I think I played Legends of Kyrandia.....seems like sooooo long ago. Wasnt a "kings quest" style game?

I think it stands out in my mind because there was one scene where you get the dude kills and he actually cussed.....bitch, or shit or something like that. I can remember being pretty surprised at that....man how old was I at that point......13 or so? Dang. Forgot all about that game.

*edit* says the game was released in 94' ? No way...so I was 16 or so.

Wasn't that the game with the villian who was like a court jester or something? I definitely played through that one if I remember correctly...

pistol222 said:
Wasn't that the game with the villian who was like a court jester or something? I definitely played through that one if I remember correctly...

thats the one

x-wing was the origional. and the first warcraft. :D

They seriously need to make a refresh of xwing/tie fighter. I would pay $1000 for that modernized well done.

computerpro3 said:
x-wing was the origional. and the first warcraft. :D

They seriously need to make a refresh of xwing/tie fighter. I would pay $1000 for that modernized well done.

With the cult following of the Xwing and Tie FIghter games, plus all the new cool space craft in the new movies, you would think some sort of new Starwars space combat game would be a sure money maker. It just seams like a cash cow just waiting to be made.

Wolfenstein 3d on Windows 3.1 got me hooked on computer gaming when I was about 5 or 6. Granted, I'm probably a bit younger than most folks that are gaming, since I'm about to turn 16, so I didn't have a chance to enjoy the Commodore 64 until it was obsolete, or at least relatively so. ;)

The game that got me hooked on internet multiplayer gaming, however, came a little later. It was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead. Our family had dialup for about 3 months when I was 8, then we got rid of it until we got DSL and I received Spearhead for my 13th birthday. Now I'm among the wondrous hordes of time-wasters on the 'net! :D

Game that sucked me in... Quake 1 TF... the modem days rocked
Then I was die hard Action quake 2 forever

Everquest was good and WoW is soooo addicting.

If there was a GOOD flight sim like Tie-Fighter or X-wing I would be all over that. Tie fighter rocked my world.

centipede, space invaders w00t

Then came Half-life on my AMD k6 233mhz ATI 8mb Rage! 10gb HD and A 17 Inch CRT man and with a 56k modem (yes 56k) in the time of 1997 that was a beast now its just sitting in a closet.....

Its still half-life im addicted to today since 1998 I believe and now I play HL2 and still norm HL once in awhile. Im addicted to UT2004 at the moment and a lil to guild wars kinda dien off tho....

LOL!

Aaron_ATX said:

He cussed when he tried to walk across the lava flow in serpent's Grotto before using the scroll to freeze it

As for the King's Quest games, KQ 6 was my favorite.

Back in the 386 days there weren't too many games that held my interest for long. It could barely handle Wolfenstein and the Doom series, I beat them and it was good time, but I never got hooked on them like others. We eventually got a 1400 baud modem and a local BBS to connect to. There was this one game called "Space Pirates" or something to that effect that I fell in love with Ahh, good memories.

The infocom series was fun, and so were the early arcade games, but pirates was among my favorites way back when for addictive power...Nothing beat the old sid meier games for fun way back when imho.....

Choplifter on the C64. Damn my kindergarten year was wasted on that game! LOL. One of my favorites ever.

spugnor said:
I used to run a BBS system, and LORD was the only game on that machine. :D
Legend of the Red Dragon? Gah, now I feel way older than I am. that game was fun, watching my brother play and get beaten with an ugly stuck

Quake 2, Action mod. It rocked until CS came out.

Also, Civilization II has taken a lot of my life's hours.

Right now, RE4 is my candy. Highly recommended!

Wolfenstein 3D for me. 286 for teh win
I couldnt play DOOM on it. til i got a 386

LORD rocked also. i played that back around the same time. ;) then the upgraded Usurper

Cool thread:

Online: I would have to say Quake 2, but it took awhile for me to get a good connection.

Computers in general? There was some Dungeons and Dragons game I was hooked on for my original DX-44 or whatever that POS gateway I had was. In fact, installing it trashed it and was what got me started on working on computers because I didn't want my ass handed to me when my parents got home, lol.

Prior to my own comp, I was turned onto Wolf3d and Privateer on my friends comp in college, and I was playing the Demo of Tie Fighter. I was then hooked, forever...

coffee33 said:
Whats the one game that got you hooked and spending to much time online on the computer. The one game that started it all?

Whats the best game you ever played but was overlooked by most?
A: The 1 game that got me hooked was Quake II Multiplayer

B: The best game I ever played was the Quake II Rocket Arena mod... I still play it, and noone really knew what it was all about.

A: Dark Forces (What a fantastic use of a license)
Daggerfall also got me hooked (Morrowind was pretty sweet, can't wait for Oblivion.

B: Deus Ex probably, the best game ever. Never really seemed that popular in the mainstream. If not that, Alpha Centauri. Jesus that game was addictive.

Too bad Invisible War sucked ass. The C&C series has always been a favorite too. Honestly Warcraft never had a great appeal to me.

enelson125 said:
A: Dark Forces (What a fantastic use of a license)
Daggerfall also got me hooked (Morrowind was pretty sweet, can't wait for Oblivion.

B: Deus Ex probably, the best game ever. Never really seemed that popular in the mainstream. If not that, Alpha Centauri. Jesus that game was addictive.

Too bad Invisible War sucked ass. The C&C series has always been a favorite too. Honestly Warcraft never had a great appeal to me.

Invisible war did suck horribly. I actually purchased the game, what a bad mistake, and when I installed it the thing must have crashed 3 - 4 times right off the bat. I had to wait, after purchasing it, for them to release a patch, just to make it somewhat playable. The graphics engine was so very buggy, and I just never really played it. It is utter BS that you cant return games after you open them (well from where I purchased the game). If a company releases crappy products that dont work, out of the box, you should be able to return for a full refund.

I was really young (about 5) and I was at another family's house who had the original mario bros. (I was so young I called it "mario bross") on a computer. After that, I begged to go over there just to play it.
Cut to years later, I had given up on console gaming after SNES became old (N64 had too many buttons, and I had other things to do....PC games seemed too complicated and involved) when my brother put Half Life on my computer and said "just try it". I was immediately sucked in, and the geek came back. WASD and Mouse combo made sense to me, and I was calling in sick to work just to play. I'm such a nerd now.

First I remember was Radar Rat Race on Vic 20. Then there has been:

Manic Miner (Amstrad CPC)
International Karate (C64)
Impossible Mission (C64)
Paradroid (C64)
Defender of the Crown (Amiga)
Dune 2 (Amiga/PC)
Secret of Monkey Island 1/2 (Amiga/PC)
Bubble Bobble (Arcade Machine/Amiga)
Arkanoid (C64/Amiga)
Tetris (Amiga)
Giana Sisters (Amiga)
Sierra Adventure Games (Police Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry)
Deja Vu (Amiga)
Wolfenstein (PC)
Doom (PC)
Command & Conquer (PC)
Warcraft (PC)
Wipeout (PS1)
Tekken (PS1)
Resident Evil (PS1)
Diablo 1 & 2 (PC)

I have a Playstation 2 now but nothing have really turned me on on that system, and no recent games have that either.

Well, if you skip the endless and nameless commadore 64 games (I was 4, what do you expect?), and remember that trade wars had a turn limit per day, I guess doom and doom2.

For me: Battlefield 1942 was the first game i played on PC it was like magic to me - i'd spent my whole life playing two-player Quake II on the PlayStation, then a friend showed me BF42 online with like 20 other people, flying about and shooting the hell out of them. I got a copy and persevered, i've no idea how, i was on 56k and this machine (32mb integrated graphics, Intel 2.4Ghz no HT etc...) but i still loved it. Since then it's been CoD, played that multiplayer for over a year now, on 56k i was unbeatable with a rifle on the ol' jolt.co.uk servers, but unfortunately now i have 1meg AOL UTTER SHIT I HATE AOL NO ONE EVER BUY AOL EVER i can't seem to hit people with my beloved karabiner, makes me sad...

It's because of what BF42 did for me that i'm pissing myself in anticipation of BF 2, getting a whole new rig sorted out (hopefully) by the end of june, winnie 3500 and X800XL goodness :D

Adventure for the Atari 2600, hands down.

Best overlooked game was probably Legacy of the Ancients on C64. Maybe Myth:TFL.

Back