The game that made you jump...

Koko56

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just wondering what games or parts of them did you find to be the most terrifying.

For me it's - the 1st level in Doom 3, bits of FEAR Extraction Point and the last few levels of FEAR. :D

P.S. - Ravenholm is not scary at all....for me anyway.

Doom3.. don't remember exactly what level it was, and I guess it didn't really make me jump as much as it just plain scard the shit out of me... but when the whispering voice says "follow me" and then the bloody footprints start walking down the hall..... I swear, that, to me was probably one of the most startling, un-expected and scary moments I remember in any game.

F.E.A.R. has some startling moments as well... just not as memorable.

BF2 after I installed a new patch and it wouldn't load any servers for me anymore.

BF2 after I installed a new patch and it wouldn't load any servers for me anymore.

That's a really good one... I had the same feeling after I discovered that FEAR installs SecuROM along with the game:mad:

I never played it [unfortunately] but I've heard that System Shock 2 is quite scary. Which makes me want Bioshock even more!

I don't think I've played many scary PC games, if any at all... I could be wrong, but as of right now I have to say FEAR just because it has so many WTF moments.

I know it's cheesy, but FEAR always manages to creep me out. The ambiance and mood that game sets are spot on for making it seem like the next second something is going to pop out from around the corner.

That said, I didn't find any of the game to be particularly startling (ie "boo" scary), but the setting was spot on.

Boo scary moments tend to happen to me in fast paced games as opposed to campaigns. I've been ambushed and scared out of mind more than a few times in cs.

Most recently, Resident Evil 4 gave me a few jolts. Before that, probably FEAR and Doom 3

System Shock 2 scared me the most followed by Doom 3 and then FEAR. I guess I got a little jumpy in Half-Life, too.

Aliens vs. Predator 2... Marine Campaign. I had to make my roommate play it because I was too chicken. Really a great game, and much easier on the nerves when you aren't playing it yourself.

Like i said in the HL2 headcrab thread, Ravenholm just stressed me out instead of scaring me. The part that did make me jump was on the bridge sequence you enter one of the hanging buildings and a headcrab jumps out at you from one of the corners. That made me jump in my seat and lose some health while i fumbled to get control of the mouse and keyboard again.

FEAR had plenty of spooky and scary moments.

I have felt heart arrhythmias when playing Capture the Flag and the whole team is chasing you. (Quake2, BF2, Team Fortress, etc...)

Two of the creepiest, scariest games I ever played were:

The Suffering
Condemned: Criminal Origins

The only game that really got to me ever was the original AVP. They balanced not being able to see thigns with good atmosphere and good positional audio.

Some of the levels with the facehuggers skittering about would induce some pretty intense fight/flight responses and get the adrenalin running especially when you wound up with one attached to your face.

F.E.A.R.
DOOM III
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Cold Fear ( somewhat )

winner: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The Hotel and somewhat the Abandoned Hospital......man...the Hotel.... the cellar .... got under my skin....and i'm allmost 21 ^^

*ashamed*

I gotta go with Doom 3 on this one, some of the stuff in that game totally creeped me out.

The rest sadly was Zombie closets...

why did they build those closets other than for the zombies?!?
!?

You nailed em down for me too.Doom 3 & FEAR.Especially in Doom 3 when a creature on the out side roof crawled across glass cieling and cast a shadow down.Sound effects are huge too.

FEAR in my basement with full 5.1 Surround, on the 42" Sceptre 1080p LCD looted from my parents while they were on vacation...that was intense.

We also played Doom III + Expansion, HL2, CSS as well...wasn't incredibly enthralling. My only wish was that the blacks were better on the Sceptre.

Ravenholm was scary the first time around for me. The 2nd time I played it though, I laughed because I thought the zombies sounded like cows... weird huh?

Motherbrain, tho i was 8 at the time.

The dogs from resident evil also scared me, moved to fast for my liking :p

and flashback had an eerie feel to it.

Now that I think of it, Blood 2 was probably the scariest game I've played. Those little crawly things that jumped on your head and sucked out your brains while taking up the whole screen nearly made me shit my pants.

X-Com UFO Defense, when I did my first crashed ufo mission!

It was at night, near a farm and a cornfield with creepy music. I was looking through a barn and an alien popped out and starting shooting. this is a turn based game too.

No love for Undying?

that was prolly the first game that really made me crap my pants, i started playing it in the dark, head phones on, that lasted about 30 mins before i had every light on in the basement :)

DOOM 3 really had some heart stoppers for me, the part where u walk into the bathroom and look in the mirror and everything flashes red realy made my skin crawl.

for over all creepy feeling and atmosphere, FEAR and the expansion, i couldn't play that game at all with head phones. that little freaky girl gives me the willys. remember going up the ladder and when u get to the top she is there and comes out at u, OMG i have goose bumps just thinking about it.

There is a part in Return to Castle Wolfenstein where one of the floating zombies throws a scientist into a window as you are walking by it. That got me more than anything else in a game.

RE when that flippin dog came thru the mirror the first time.
both me and my buddy jumped off the couch

RE when that flippin dog came thru the mirror the first time.
both me and my buddy jumped off the couch

:p Same here. I was playing REmake knowing that the dogs would jump in, but still nearly shit my pants when they jumped through the windows. Other games that made me jump are FEAR and Doom 3 (damn cheap scares! especially in the beginning when the damn imp crawls out under the stairs).

Sacriest game: Blair Witch Project series BAR-NONE! That stuff scared the hell out of me and turned me off the horror game genre forever. It had great gameplay too... plus puzzle solving

The original Blood, I was so young when I played it. The part that scared me the most was in that hedge maze, and in the house nearby where those hands would crawl around everywhere. :eek:

Doom 3. Surprisingly, I got more scared when I was low on ammo and there were commandos after me than when spooky things happened. The Commandos were intimidating. Still, the creepy bits made me jump.

Ravenholm scared me a lot, mostly because of the distant sounds you could hear and also the poison zombies.

CSS has to be the game that's made me jump the most... I always freak out when like three guys come running around the corner. I usually manage to head shot all of them just because of the adrenaline. Once, i was on the fronts stairs in office with one other guy who wasn't watching the door, and two CT's with m4's ran in, shooting right at me. I just sidestepped around their bullets and head shot both of them in the space of a split second. :p

Condemed: Criminal Origins is a very underrated, VERY spooky game.

Yeah I could agree - I palyed the demo and it was quite scary, but the AI is a bit poor - they just jump out when you are about 5 meters away and they think you are right next to them, still though I'd imagine it's a scary game.... all the close combat. :eek:

I also think that the Manhunt was maybe not scary, but quite tense.

For me, the most scary games were (in the following order):

1) F.E.A.R - It's not your typical scary game, but rather a psychological terror one. Awesome game and excellent atmosphere.

3) Condemned: Criminal Origins - Much like F.E.A.R., it has an excellent atmosphere. Sounds are creepy and although not as "appealing" as F.E.A.R., the scare factor is awesome.

3) Clive Barker's Undying - Another one with an excellent atmosphere. Again psychological terror rules, just not as good as F.E.A.R. or Condemned IMHO.

4) Alien vs Predator 2 - One of the best story driven games I've played. Playing as marine, really makes you jump sometimes.

5) Doom 3 - It's a typical horror game, but it has some really scary moments.

Ok I'm going to date myself here, but the original DOOM. I downloaded the demo on my brand new 9600 baud modem. It took me hours to tweak my comp to run it. The first time I walked around the corner and saw a pinky demon I nearly died with fright!

Alas, no other game ever gave me the same moment. But that doesn't stop me from trying them all! :)

Doom3, 'jumped' many times, i couldnt even finish the game but i was only 14 by then
i finished FEAR the original one without any 'jumping', but in the multiplayer, i was moving around in an open area then suddenly got sniped with the paticle cannon...i almost fell off my chair

It's funny, even though I knew it were coming most of the time, Doom 3 made me jump a few times. I have an African grey parrot and when I jumped she would jump because of my reaction. lol

Back