The game that made you jump...

Doom 3.

God-damn modern graphics! In older games, you could tell parts of the wall or floor that were programmed with actions. You knew where monsters would jump out.

In Doom 3, everything looks the same. You have no idea where or when something will jump out, and most of the monsters come from behind you. Whenever I'd hear a monster emerge, I first turned a 180 and by then I was usually getting hurt.

So it's not so much scary as startling.

Sometimes I had little desire to load the game 'cause I was getting tired of saving my game after every monster I killed. :p

As already mentioned, and it can't be said enough, Human campaigns for AVP and AVP 2were some of the best-designed downright scary levels in game history. Do I use my 3 flares and hear 'em coming with the motion tracker, or switch to night vision and lose the motion tracker? The frantic backpedaling and firing because you've got 5 health and if you kill an alien too close to you and get splashed, it was all for nothing anyway. And don't get me started on the facehuggers...gawd.

The black headcrabs in HL2 are creepy as hell, too. Every time I hear that high-pitched, almost animal-cutesy cry, I get a chill cause I just know they're around some corner and waiting to fuck me up!

Goddamnit I'm 30 and still getting creeped out by this shit. Fuckit, I'm gonna reinstall AVP!

I'll show my age by saying Hexen. In more recent times I would say AvP and Doom3.

I forgot to mention the Dark Eye in my other post... It's point and click but still scared the crap out of me. The music you hear when the game starts up is freaky too. Anyone remember this game?

id have to agree on 2 of the more popular games here...fear and doom 3.
5.1 surround sound is only eh on doom 3. the way to play it is with a sound card that can simulate surround sound through headphones and a nice pair of headphones. well the 5.1 adds a nice effect by beeing directional theres still distance between you and the sound even when the zombies right next to you no matter how high you have the volume. but with a nice set of headphones (like bose triports what i use) the sound is literally right next to your ear and it just adds even more to the jumping parts. i remember a part near the end where its an open room untill you approach the door and it narrows then the wall opens (which you cant hear) and you just hear this zombie moan. On this part in particular i literally looked over to my right (the side that the sound came from with the simulated surround sound in the headphones) and just about threw a punch but ended up launching my mouse across the room.

seriosly if youve never played doom 3 with headphones and a sound card that simmulates surround sound through them youve never played doom 3!

oh and to end the story i died at that seen seeing as how i was mouseless and had to reload and go through it again without remembering exactly where it was going to happen and the 2nd time i damn near shit my pants but i lived and saved right after it so i didnt have to live through that moment again!

A long time ago I played a demo of Clive Barker's: Undying. That was some creepy stuff.

I'd just like to say, if anyone is not playing these games in full 5.1 or 7.1 sound where there is at least some rear speakers you don't know the meaning of scary, working out theres something behind you in the game simply because it's not in front of you, isn't half as scary as actually HEARING it behind you, very freaky.

I'd just like to say, if anyone is not playing these games in full 5.1 or 7.1 sound where there is at least some rear speakers you don't know the meaning of scary, working out theres something behind you in the game simply because it's not in front of you, isn't half as scary as actually HEARING it behind you, very freaky.
FACT! it can get damn exciting =P

...alien vs predator

[UPS] Sorce;1030699452 said:
What got me in that game was the zombies telling you to either "run" or telling you to kill them. Usually while they're beating you with a lead pipe.

That game was creepy as hell.

Those damn zombies in System Shock 2. Either with the surround sound or headphones I would run through it with my nerves on edge. I wonder if that game is the reason I am always looking over my shoulder.

Remembered another thing that really got me in Resident Evil (game cube edition). Whenever you walk through a door there is a quick cutscene of a door opening as the room loads. After a little while it makes you feel like the cut scene is a somewhat stock scene that is simply filler for a room that's loading, and can be ignored. There are a few times in the game where, in the cut scene, the door opens and there is a zombie right there jumping at you! There first time that happened I about pissed myself. It was a GREAT way to sneak a scare into the game.

System Shock 2 was really spooky. The atmosphere was excellent and the enemies were the freakiest I have ever seen in a game. I remember when I first played it, I thought all was clear and walked up to a monkey that I thought was friendly and it started attacking me. That gave me a bit of a scare.

No game has been scarier than System Shock 2. That game actually made me afraid to open doors in certain areas, for fear of what I suspected was on the other side. Here's to hoping Bioshock lives up to that heritage.

Definately AVP2 Marine missions.

There's one mission in particular where you are wandering carefully through a mostly destroyed complex, and your motion tracker starts beeping. Had me trying to look every direction at once until I finally figured out it was just some giant cargo hook swinging in the breeze.

TBH, HL2's Ravenholm did scare the shit out of me the first time I played it. Just the eerie environment was enough to creep me out.

Doom 3 did an OK job, but the scare factor was just repetitive after a while.

Resident Evil 4 is the most recent game that shocked/scared me a lot. Game was a blast to play!

World of Warcraft scared me the most... woo baby!

Half-Life, System Shock 2 and.. sigh... Tomb Raider 1. Yes, TR1. That damn T-Rex made me piss my pants, ok?!

never was too interested in doom 3, FEAR was okay. It was a little drab, which I think killed the atmosphere for me. Not even real office buildings and warehouses are that... I dunno bland. STALKER so far has had wonderful atmosphere. The first time I saw a bloodsucker on the way to Strelok's lair scared the crap out of me.

AVP2 big time. I remember one part where you had to get through a door with the welding torch. The big problem was you had to turn your back to the dark tunnel to do it. So there I was using a flare for light and cutting through the door. AHHHHHH! ALIEN!!!!!!

Easily the scariest game ever for me.

For me it would be Diablo 1 :) remember playing it as a 11-12 year old kid... I was afraid to go into the catacombs ffs :D

Alien vs. Predator.

The firs level with the soldier. The darkness and the knowledge that aliens are everywhere.

brrr...

but condemned is really scary, too

Are we only limited to FPS's?

I can only play about 20 minutes into Silent Hill 2. I've had the game for a while now and have yet to get further. What's worse, i have the other sequels and i hate spoilers so much i can't play them until i finish this one:rolleyes:

FEAR and Undying were only scary the first time through. After that, you just run through the level and ignore the backstory. The only thing scary was the story, the actual game was just you shooting monkeys.

I've played Doom 3 several times and it would still make me jump. Even now the game still makes my hair stand on end. What added to the atmosphere was the way Doom 3 handled the lighting. You can't cheat and raise the gamma so you could see in the dark like in other games. If the area is supposed to be dark, it will be dark, and you won't know where the monsters are coming from until they're right in your face.:eek:

doom 3 the first 2 times i played it, ravenholm in hl2, fear, and stalker has had its moments where i was like WTF! and started flipping out.

i remember in DOOM3 where you go down a few stairs to get to a switch. you flip the switch and head back up the stairs. As you turn the corner, behind the stairs, is the silouhette of one of the big monsters in front of a bright white light, and then he just walks off and the light goes out. holy crap I was starring at those stairs for a long time before I could go up them.

I'll pretty much echo the sentiments already made...

Doom 3 always got me good...especially the first time I played it. Some sections were downright creepy (I can't remember any of them...I haven't played the game in a long time) and I definately jumped a few times during the course of the game. Great use of lighting and typical horror-flick stuff i.e. things jumping out of the shadows. The sound also played a big factor. Hearing monsters and zombies moving in the shadows definately kept me on edge.

FEAR was probably the most creepy and suspenseful game I've played. I going through it again now but it doesn't have the same effect on me as the first time I played it. There's definately a sense of foreboding throughout the whole game and the need to really keep on your toes. The gameplay gets a bit tedious but the mood and character of the game was always great.

Another game that creeped me out was Max Payne. I know...it doesn't seem to fit in this thread too well but the section of the game where you're going through the nightclub Ragna Rock always creeped the hell out of me. Something about all the Satanic references and the madness of Jack Lupino really tweaked me out. It has great atmosphere and effects...the bell gongs in the background with Lupino praising and giving blood sacrifices to the demons as you're finally coming up to his main sanctuary.... :shiver:

I was just wondering what games or parts of them did you find to be the most terrifying.

For me it's - the 1st level in Doom 3, bits of FEAR Extraction Point and the last few levels of FEAR. :D

P.S. - Ravenholm is not scary at all....for me anyway.

probably track and field for the NES about 20 YEARS ago.

probably track and field for the NES about 20 YEARS ago.

I really have not thought the title of this thread through...

Should've been 'what game squeezed the most shit out of you' :D

I'll pretty much echo the sentiments already made...

Doom 3 always got me good...especially the first time I played it. Some sections were downright creepy (I can't remember any of them...I haven't played the game in a long time) and I definately jumped a few times during the course of the game. Great use of lighting and typical horror-flick stuff i.e. things jumping out of the shadows. The sound also played a big factor. Hearing monsters and zombies moving in the shadows definately kept me on edge.

FEAR was probably the most creepy and suspenseful game I've played. I going through it again now but it doesn't have the same effect on me as the first time I played it. There's definately a sense of foreboding throughout the whole game and the need to really keep on your toes. The gameplay gets a bit tedious but the mood and character of the game was always great.

Another game that creeped me out was Max Payne. I know...it doesn't seem to fit in this thread too well but the section of the game where you're going through the nightclub Ragna Rock always creeped the hell out of me. Something about all the Satanic references and the madness of Jack Lupino really tweaked me out. It has great atmosphere and effects...the bell gongs in the background with Lupino praising and giving blood sacrifices to the demons as you're finally coming up to his main sanctuary.... :shiver:

i found the crying baby blood maze stages to be rathe creepy. course i was playing alone at about 2 am and i was like 14yo

Alien Vs Predator 1 and 2 human campaign scared the crap out of me. The damn motion detector always got me.

Resident Evil Code Veronica, man back in college i would turn off the lights, crank up the sound, and get waaaaaaay into the game. best part was when I opened a door in the game and a zombie pop'd out to get me, and my roomate came through our rooms door at the same time, I damn near shit my self.

but scariest? System Shock 2, hands down the most disturbing game I've ever played.

Are we only limited to FPS's?

I can only play about 20 minutes into Silent Hill 2. I've had the game for a while now and have yet to get further. What's worse, i have the other sequels and i hate spoilers so much i can't play them until i finish this one:rolleyes:

FEAR and Undying were only scary the first time through. After that, you just run through the level and ignore the backstory. The only thing scary was the story, the actual game was just you shooting monkeys.

I've played Doom 3 several times and it would still make me jump. Even now the game still makes my hair stand on end. What added to the atmosphere was the way Doom 3 handled the lighting. You can't cheat and raise the gamma so you could see in the dark like in other games. If the area is supposed to be dark, it will be dark, and you won't know where the monsters are coming from until they're right in your face.:eek:

Thanks for the Silent Hill idea.. I tried the fourth one a while ago and chicken out.. I'm not into scary games but I'm a fan of scary movies, no clue why =/

Thanks for the Silent Hill idea.. I tried the fourth one a while ago and chicken out.. I'm not into scary games but I'm a fan of scary movies, no clue why =/

cuz you ARE the person. You controll that person's fate. You are doing all the puzzle solving and are into it. Totally know what you mean. I like horror movies but DAMN I have a hard time with scary games. Force myself to play for like a week, then take long breaks :D

Still haven't beaten Fatal Frame 2 for PS2. That to me is the scarest game that I have ever played. But I'm a glutton and love them too. Just can't keep playing like other games I can.

I've only played Silent Hills on PC and Silent HIll 2 was good but more disturbing than scary. Beat part 3 which felt more action than scary but was good and Silent Hill 4 is a lot a fun but overloaded on too many scary games at the time *shudder*

cuz you ARE the person. You controll that person's fate. You are doing all the puzzle solving and are into it. Totally know what you mean. I like horror movies but DAMN I have a hard time with scary games. Force myself to play for like a week, then take long breaks :D

That's what i did for the Resident Evil series.

*START GAME*

<Play for 5 minutes>

*CRASH* *MOANS* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

*SAVE*

*QUIT GAME*

<Wait 'til color comes back to face, repeat>

Playing DOOM in 1993 or so, right after getting my 1st Sound Blaster card and 4x CD-ROM drive. When your 12, playing that shit back then...thats scary.

[ T ] A C O;1030875465 said:
Playing DOOM in 1993 or so, right after getting my 1st Sound Blaster card and 4x CD-ROM drive. When your 12, playing that shit back then...thats scary.

I still don't get how people are scared of old games... I played the Doom series when I was 10-12ish too and it scared me as much as a cowboy shoot em up would. It's the graphics that make the scare. You wouldn't get scared if someone drew you a picture of a monster on a piece of paper, why would you get scared from 2D games?

I still don't get how people are scared of old games... I played the Doom series when I was 10-12ish too and it scared me as much as a cowboy shoot em up would. It's the graphics that make the scare. You wouldn't get scared if someone drew you a picture of a monster on a piece of paper, why would you get scared from 2D games?

Well, gee, guess Im just a big pussy then. :rolleyes:

Back