The game that made you jump...

FEAR
that girl just creeped the hell out of me :|

Doom 3 Just pissed me off that we had managed to colonise mars and forgot to bring the duct tape :p

HL2 Ravenholm and the voice of the G-Man gives me goose bumps :\

The creepy atmosphere in FEAR was done beautifully, and it could've been one of the scariest games ever, were it not for one major shortfall. It became pretty obvious early on that the game is rigidly divided up into "action" sequences and "scary" sequences. In other words, if there's something creepy going on, it's almost a guarantee that you're not going to get hurt. And without any tension, the creepiness is a little hollow.

The original Doom, late at night in the dark, was pretty unnerving in places. The level of immersion in that game was phenomenal for its time. Prince of Persia used to creep me out a bit as well - after level 3, I could never comfortably walk past a pile of bones again...

The game which got under my skin worse than any other was Shadow of the Beast on my Master System. Though I have no idea why - thinking back, I can't see what made it that much scarier than Alex Kidd - but more than once I couldn't even bring myself to stick the cartridge in.

FEAR for sure, condemned had a few parts that made me jump, but overall it was lame.

wow no Unreal
that was the frist game that realy made me jump
the part were your in the hall and the light start shutting off and then the thing jumps out from in the wall

Aliens vs. Predator 2... Marine Campaign.

QFT.
The start of that campaign was awesome. The 1st time I heard my radr ping something(just after the start/entering the ship) i spun around wildly trying to find it. That game scared the ish out of me.

AVP 1 did that for me. The marine just felt so much more helpless and fragile than he did in AVP2.

No love for Undying?

ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY!

I thought I was going to be the first to say it :)

I could BARELY play over an hour at a time because my nerves would get so shot. Of course I played with surround sound, at night in the dark each time :)

Half-Life kept me on the edge of my seat enough that I twitched quite a bit.

Doom 3 did absolutely nothing for me. I was too busy being frustrated with the stupid flashlight and annoying mid-action cutscenes (hey, let me just stand here while that monster walks up within arms' reach) to notice if the game were scary or not.

Same goes for Resident Evil. Now, i haven't played the most recent offerings in the series, but after playing the first two games I've got no interest in them. I heard for years how awesome and scary RE was, and it was absurd. Not a single scary scene, artificial tension provided by awkward camera angles and a beretta with the fire rate of a flint lock, and horrid voice acting to boot.

I haven't played FEAR, but from what I've seen watching friends play it looks fairly formulaic in its story and not particularly scary.

Ravenholm was a joke. That was about as scary as the scene on Shawn of the Dead where they threw records at a zombie.

edit: I should probably note that I'm one of those people who doesn't scare easily. It's been years (and years and years) since a movie scared me, and I watch horror a lot. I suffered through Saw 3 while munching on a pizza..."gross" doesn't do much to me, either.

Doom 3 made me jump constantly (which just pissed me off)

FEAR scared the crap out of me the first time through the game.

AVP2 scared me like nothing else ever has, game or movie. Doom 3 also worked for me. I made a point to always play in the dark with the sound up.

Oblivion when I have my sound maxed and out of nowhere a damn wolf starts attacking me.

Doom 3 made me jump constantly (which just pissed me off.

Yeah, Doom 3 had a habit of surprising you.

Of course, it almost invariably did it like this:

You're walking down the hall, checking every nook and cranny for monsters. You get to the end of the hall and just before you open the door, secret passageways open behind you and there are monsters coming after you.

Now, seriously...who builds an off-planet installation on a hostile planet with so many secret doors?

Nothing sums up the game better than the first time you see an imp: it goes to a cut scene where it crawls out of the wall and moves across the floor to within a few feet of you, while you are forced to stand there and watch. It scores a free hit on you as there isn't time to shoot it before it strikes the first time. I quit playing the game after 6 hours because that sort of nonsense never seemed to quit. They were always finding ways to bleed off your health by taking control away from you.

ive got to agree with the AVP (1 and 2) people

I played for about 10 minutes before turning it off and uninstalling...it was just to much for me

I wanted to have a good time, not a massive heart attack

The DEMO for AVP2 with the Marine in the destroyed outpost was probably the scariest computer game I've played.

With that red lighting, all the destruction, and the "thump-thump-thump" of the tracker I was on edge almost immediately.

Then when there was even the slightest blip on that thing I would get rather anxious and of course there were several false alarms that made me reach for my Emergency Pants.

I actually quit the demo before I even saw an alien. Only time I ever pussed out of a game. I just don't need that kind of additional stress in my life!

I've never really found a game that makes me tense. FEAR a very small bit... very small. Usually horror stuff, movies or games, dont really get to me.

However, as far as being startled goes, you should see me in CSS. I hate it when I run around a corner only to find an enemy I was not expecting, and get startled, only to die with my crosshair pointing towards the sky. Its frustrating :(

Doom3 made me jump a lot
FEAR sent tingles down my spine and made me panic
Condemed: Criminal Origins freaked me out and made me panic a lot

Scariest level of all time?

The Cradle from Thief 3, the game isn't meant to be scary, in fact for the most part it puts you into the position of being the hunter rather than the prey, but this one particular level was meant to be scary and they pull it off with terrifying precision.

How did I forget AvP2?! Man, that game is definitely the scariest game I've ever played. The tension in that game is just unreal, especially when you hear your motion tracker go crazy. I think I only got about halfway through the marine campaign before quitting. At least I lasted longer than most people here who turned it off after 10 mins :p.

I dont know about terrifying, but damn, no game has made me jump like this one:

64jumpman.gif

Did anyone mention system shock 1 and 2? Those damn mutant monkeys freaked me out...

The DEMO for AVP2 ...I actually quit the demo before I even saw an alien. Only time I ever pussed out of a game. I just don't need that kind of additional stress in my life!

Right there with you. Every ping sent shivers down my spine and I ended up unloading a clip at a shadow. Like others, I felt I was heading for a heart attack is I continued playing.

wow no Unreal
that was the frist game that realy made me jump
the part were your in the hall and the light start shutting off and then the thing jumps out from in the wall

That was a good scary moment. But I think I have one earlier than that that could freak me out. The first time I encountered a Fiend in Quake 1. The Fiend had that crazy growling noise and it would come tearing at you really fast....man that thing freaked me out.

As for newer games though, I think Doom3 is the winner. That game had me so stressed out that I could only play it in like 20 or 30 minute increments. They did a great job on the atmosphere in that one.

I think I'm the only person to play it, but I thought King Kong was scary.
It only takes about 5 hours to play, so I thought it'd be worth playing even though it meant that I'd have StarForce on my comp for 5 hours.
It's the only game I've played recently that I could say had great cinemetography,
and that added a lot to the scariness.

+1 for Undying...the single scariest game I've played ever...

Doom3 didn't scare me at all. You get to the point where you KNOW something it going to happen and sure enough...there it is. That stuff ruins the game for me.

On a side note, I reinstalled Undying recently and tried playing it again...no scare. I think it was a "I played it at the right time" type thing.

And most horror movies I end up laughing at...except for The Exorcist that they re-released with the girl on the stairs...I wasn't laughing then.

I think an early contender for "the next game with scare potential" is STALKER.

Yeah, STALKER looks like it could have its moments. I'm betting Bioshock will leave a longer lasting terror though. Just something about the whole concept and the artwork that looks supremely disturbing.

- AVP/AVP2 as human freaked me out like none other. The brilliance in the motion sensor design by Ridley Scott is amazing. It gives the humans an extra sense like the Alien, but at the expense of them (and the audience) being constantly freaked out by the ping-ping-ping it makes.
- System Shock 2 was a game that didn't quite make you jump as it just keep a certain air of dread, and then throws a shotgun wielding zombie at you, probably right when you think its safe.
- Another vote for the Undying ::shudder::
- FEAR itself wasn't that scary, but the first time playing the demo when you hit the ladder and see alma... I jumped and my friend standing next to me screamed like a little girl.

- AVP/AVP2 as human freaked me out like none other. The brilliance in the motion sensor design by Ridley Scott is amazing. It gives the humans an extra sense like the Alien, but at the expense of them (and the audience) being constantly freaked out by the ping-ping-ping it makes.

Damn right. The motion sensor is one of the best things ever. Even the sound of it freaks me out. One of the scariest sounds ever.

- System Shock 2 was a game that didn't quite make you jump as it just keep a certain air of dread, and then throws a shotgun wielding zombie at you, probably right when you think its safe.

Very true. The atmosphere the game created was fantastic. But the metalic sound of the nurses still scares me a tad just thinking about it.

- Another vote for the Undying ::shudder::

I played it through and apart from the pictures on the wall i wasnt overly scared by it.

- FEAR itself wasn't that scary, but the first time playing the demo when you hit the ladder and see alma... I jumped and my friend standing next to me screamed like a little girl.

I found that the only creepy thing in FEAR was actually the smokey blob thing you see a couple of times through the game. Reminded me of a ghost film i watched once where a family moved into a house with a smokey blob ghost scary the hell out of the family. I forget what it was called.

Another game i found scary as hell was Fatal Frame. One AND two. they were VERY messed up. Excellent scarey games

What got me in that game was the zombies telling you to either "run" or telling you to kill them. Usually while they're beating you with a lead pipe.

That game was creepy as hell.

Are you telling me that NONE of you got a good fright or two out of Far Cry???

Come on, there were a couple of scenes in there that scared the crap out of me...Damn Trigens!

Are you telling me that NONE of you got a good fright or two out of Far Cry???

Come on, there were a couple of scenes in there that scared the crap out of me...Damn Trigens!

No way. They were just aggravating.

And while Alma on top of the latter scare me to death, it's Fettel showing up right after that causes me empty a clip.

the only game i can recall scaring me was the 1st time i played ravenholm from hl2.
aliens vs predator 2 single player marine. 1st mission was so creepy. how i miss the game, som1 threw it out!!:(

Original Quake, early on you had to shoot a symbol that lowered a drawbridge, but when you did a buzzsaw creature jumped accross the map at you.

Thief series all had moments of fright.

Original Doom had its moments.

And another game that I've never heard anyone else mention.. Requiem : Avenging Angel. It had some creepy parts to it.

Phantasmagoria. First scary game I every played and it creeped the fuck out of me. I borrowed it from a friend, and I've never heard mention fo the game since then so I have no idea how familiar others might be with it.

Resident Evil (Gamecube version). Bought it used on a whim and started playing in the dark at around 12:00 AM. Fairly early in the game you go down some stairs to some sort of vegitable cellar, where there are some creepy figures of heads and a crazy looking coffin hanging by chains from the ceiling. At that point I was seriously debating going to bed and never touching the game again. I went ahead and kept playing, only to be disappointed in how the game devolved from a zombie/horror game to a rediculous plot about worldy corporations and crazy genetic mutations. One other place in the game that really got to me was when you enter the really old shed/house where the shackled "girl" lives. You enter a back room and then see a quick cut scene of something shuffling into the house and making these horrible sounds. I found a corner and waited for her to enter the room, ready to start hammering her with bullets, only she didn't come (she waited for you to leave the room). Again I was about to flip a coin to see if I should just quit now.

Back