The G9X is too small

TheResidentEvil

[H]ard|Gawd
So i have been wanting this mouse forever. its $100 and I already have a mx518. I couldnt justify buying it because of how good my current mouse is. Anyhow, i finally got one. I wanted this mouse back when there was no G9X only a G9.

After about 1.5 years of waiting, I dont think im going to like this mouse. my wife got one too and is already returning it because its too small. I have even bigger hands than her! Is it too small? Keep it or return it?

Hard for me to keep it when my mx518 is already so good.

We can't tell you if it's too small or not; that's a conclusion you have to make yourself since you're the one holding it. If it's uncomfortable then it's uncomfortable, simple as that.

I still use my old MX518, and love it. The grip is great, the buttons are positioned perfectly for me; I agree that it's a great mouse. Why not stick with it?

Well the mouse is old probably 5 years old and its going to be gone soon...I just dont understand how everyone can say how great this mouse is when its smaller than any other gaming mouse out there.

The G9/G9x are definitely for claw/finger grippers. I'm a finger gripper so the small profile of the G9 is great since you don't feel the top/back of the mouse pushing into your palm.

The MX518 fit palmers much better.

It's going to be up to you whether it's too small or not. It will depend on the size of your hands and the playstyle.

I'm a claw gripper (Mouse never moves past 1 inch in any direction) but my hands are so big, i use the regular mice meant for office work.

When i go to the store to buy a mouse, i actually have them lay them out so i can size them up.

And for a claw gripper, the position of the optical sensor can also drastically affect your playstyle. A quarter of an inch off from your last mouse and it will ruin your game.

The G9/G9x are definitely for claw/finger grippers. I'm a finger gripper so the small profile of the G9 is great since you don't feel the top/back of the mouse pushing into your palm.

The MX518 fit palmers much better.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

OP, if you think the G9x is too small, you need to get this. Fast, before it disappears.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Custom-Grip-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002P8M6RK

That's what I did. I am NOT a claw grip type of gamer. I palm my mice, let my hand rest on it. This grip did exactly that: turn the G9x into the perfect mouse for me.

I have this for my G9. Does anyone else who have this find that theirs just kind of...flakes and kind of has the tape peal off for no apparent reason? Mine looks like it went through Beirut and I never was rough with it or anything. :confused:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have this for my G9. Does anyone else who have this find that theirs just kind of...flakes and kind of has the tape peal off for no apparent reason? Mine looks like it went through Beirut and I never was rough with it or anything. :confused:

Not mine. Been using it like mad since the day I got it (3 months ago) and it still looks brand new.

Maybe your hands are just...caustic?:p

Not mine. Been using it like mad since the day I got it (3 months ago) and it still looks brand new.

Maybe your hands are just...caustic?:p

It's weird. *shrugs* Ah well, it still works fine. :)

I was dead set on a G9X too, until I saw how small it was. I went with the Sidewinder X8 instead and have loved every minute of it.

MX518 with fresh teflon feet on a freshly waxed glass ICEMAT mouse pad and a small fan blowing onto your hand is = sex :p

shizmouseod9.jpg

Did you buy one with the pattern shown or pick one with your own pattern? I think the pre-pattern ones are bonded better than the customized ones they used to sell.

Plus the amazon grip, when I bought mine was 7-8 bucks..they got it up there for 16 something now..which is a rip off. The grips included with the G9X are not much different and I was disappointed to find they sold a full size hand grip but had discontinued it not more than a year after it was announced.

I like the idea of grips, it just seems they came up with it and pretty much dropped support for it completely.

Did you buy one with the pattern shown or pick one with your own pattern? I think the pre-pattern ones are bonded better than the customized ones they used to sell.

Whatever came packed in with the original G9.

A few posts up: Those keyboards look bad ass. I'd love to have one but I've really become spoiled by ergonomic style keyboards. If Logitech ever makes an ergonomic variant to their G line keyboards, I'm all over it. :)

Well the mouse is old probably 5 years old and its going to be gone soon...I just dont understand how everyone can say how great this mouse is when its smaller than any other gaming mouse out there.

Uhm you're assuming everyone likes large mice, I love small mice and the g9x has great tracking (compared to craptastic tracking on the Mamba/Imperator with their twin eye sensor of fail.) I even prefer the smaller of the two grips the g9x comes with. I feel like I have more control with it than a larger mouse. Give the g9x a week or two of use/fair evalution, I think you'll have a higher opinion of it (assuming you haven't used it for a while already.)

Last edited:
I don't understand how people move their whole hand with the mouse, I finger grip my mouse and love the g9x although I think I would prefer it even smaller, I guess I got used to playing with the VX Nano.

So i have been wanting this mouse forever. its $100 and I already have a mx518. I couldnt justify buying it because of how good my current mouse is. Anyhow, i finally got one. I wanted this mouse back when there was no G9X only a G9.

After about 1.5 years of waiting, I dont think im going to like this mouse. my wife got one too and is already returning it because its too small. I have even bigger hands than her! Is it too small? Keep it or return it?

Hard for me to keep it when my mx518 is already so good.

Get a G500 it's bigger :D I had a G9X for about a week then switched.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5750

I thought it was too small as well, but I purchased the ID Grip and it's been great ever since. The ID Grip is wider and larger than the grips supplied and feels more like the MX5xx series.

I don't understand how people move their whole hand with the mouse, I finger grip my mouse and love the g9x although I think I would prefer it even smaller, I guess I got used to playing with the VX Nano.

Try going to a gaming cafe. 10 inch mousepads aren't enough for those guys.

You can tell a palm gripper from a claw grip user by their wrists. Not pretty.

Hmm I just ordered one two days ago

I have medium sized hands so I hope it wont be too small. Im a claw/fingertip gripper so i dont think it would be a problem even if i had big hands.

I went from a Mamba to a R.A.T. 7 which feels similar to the G9 IMO.

It was quite a transition period but now that I am used to it (took about a week) I am better than ever with it.

That being said, the R.A.T. 7 has some adjustments the G9 does not, so I readjusted it to be a little longer and find that fits my hand really well.

G9X with fresh Polytetrafluoroethylene feet on a freshly waxed Ratpadz XT mouse pad = fun
logitech.png

Logitech has the Dented Box Logitech G9x Wired Gaming Laser Mouse for $41.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: logi_g9x_92810 (Exp 10/4).

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotional-items/devices/7406

Features a wide grip for comfort or precision for fingertip control. 5-profile onboard memory controlling keyboard macros, dpi setting and LED colors. Includes weight cartridges to customize feel and on the fly adjustable dpi from 200 to 5700dpi. Polytetrafluoroethylene feet for effortless glides.

Dented Box items from Logitech are products whose outer box has been torn, scratched, dented, or has other markings on it. The product itself is guaranteed to be in brand new condition and fully warranted. Sales are limited to quantities on hand. Limit 1 per customer.

What kind of mousepad is that in that picture?

That Dented box deal is pretty compelling although my current G9 is still in pretty good shape. Not sure it's worth my while.

I have given the mouse some more time last night. There are some really nice things about it.

Pros over the mx518
1) The click takes half the pressure of the mx518.
2) The side buttons are easier to hit. You can tell when you press them.
3) The tracking seems better. Its very minor but i have both mice plugged in and it moves a tiny bit better

Cons
1) Mouse5 is ridiculous to press. I cant even believe it made it out of testing its so bad.
2) The grip. The mouse sits loose in my hand. When I go to the mx518, i can feel the mouse fill out my hand. The g9x is loose and makes you grab it more. probably why people get hand cramps. Your pinky sits on the mouse pad because the mouse doesnt keep your hand elevated. Having to pay $16! for a better grip seems like a rip but i might do it.

The scroll wheel on the mx518 has very defined clicks which makes it very easy to change weapons. However, if you want to scroll fast, the g9x is better and smoother. I am not talking about the super fast wheel you can enable but the regular wheel does have less friction than the mx518.

This can be good and bad. In TFC when I bhop, i like the g9x. It makes it easy to land and jump again with the mwheel. however, when changing weapons in any game, the defined clicks are where its at. Depends on the game I guess but I would probably give the edge to the mx518.

Cons
1) Mouse5 is ridiculous to press. I cant even believe it made it out of testing its so bad.
2) The grip. The mouse sits loose in my hand. When I go to the mx518, i can feel the mouse fill out my hand. The g9x is loose and makes you grab it more. probably why people get hand cramps. Your pinky sits on the mouse pad because the mouse doesnt keep your hand elevated. Having to pay $16! for a better grip seems like a rip but i might do it.

1. This I agree with. However, give it time, and it will break in, making it much easier to press. Although still harder than the MX518, much more acceptable over time.
2. With the ID grip, I do not have this problem. The MX518 is VERY uncomfortable for me now, as a matter of fact.

The scroll wheel on the mx518 has very defined clicks which makes it very easy to change weapons. However, if you want to scroll fast, the g9x is better and smoother. I am not talking about the super fast wheel you can enable but the regular wheel does have less friction than the mx518.

This can be good and bad. In TFC when I bhop, i like the g9x. It makes it easy to land and jump again with the mwheel. however, when changing weapons in any game, the defined clicks are where its at. Depends on the game I guess but I would probably give the edge to the mx518.

In this case, I think it's the exact opposite. It's important to remember that I've had 6 MX518s since they came out; 4 of the older versions (with the small mice feet) and 2 with the newer big feet.

As it wears in, the scrolling on the MX518 gets very "muddy", with the notches not being exactly registered. On the G9x, due to the new ratcheting mechanism, it's a whole lot more precise. On some of my MX518s, I can get the wheel to fail to register a scroll, and then the very next scroll, make it jump 2 notches up or down. I don't have this problem with the G9x.

I had the original mx518 for years. Then I got the g9x and it was a weird mouse at first.

I bought the id grip, used that for months, it was fine for things like WoW but it didnt feel right for shooters so I wasn't happy with it.

Went to the precision grip and it was good for shooters but the way I had to squeeze my hand around it to hold the tiny thing gave me carpal tunnel symptoms that took weeks to go away. Ended up with the wide grip and it seems fine now, wrists stay happy, works for both shooters and long sessions of MMOs.

Tried switching back to the id grip and even the mx518 but neither feels right now, both seem too big.

Last edited:
G9X with fresh Polytetrafluoroethylene feet on a freshly waxed Ratpadz XT mouse pad = fun
logitech.png

Logitech has the Dented Box Logitech G9x Wired Gaming Laser Mouse for $41.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: logi_g9x_92810 (Exp 10/4).

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotional-items/devices/7406

Features a wide grip for comfort or precision for fingertip control. 5-profile onboard memory controlling keyboard macros, dpi setting and LED colors. Includes weight cartridges to customize feel and on the fly adjustable dpi from 200 to 5700dpi. Polytetrafluoroethylene feet for effortless glides.

Dented Box items from Logitech are products whose outer box has been torn, scratched, dented, or has other markings on it. The product itself is guaranteed to be in brand new condition and fully warranted. Sales are limited to quantities on hand. Limit 1 per customer.
79.99:confused:

So if I'm already a happy G9 owner am I an idiot for even considering this?
It's an OK deal, but the $30 TactX deal from Dell was better. Also consider Logitech's G700 is now available and Logitech seem to be launching a lot of other stuff lately. It's quite possible that there will be replacements for the whole G series range (G500, G9x etc.) in time for, or during the holiday season. If you have a mouse that you're happy with and don't fancy the G700, a shrewd move may be to wait 2-3 months to see what else becomes available, perhaps hang on until as late CES in Jan. 2011 (Logitech used CES to lauch products in the past.)

It's an OK deal, but the $30 TactX deal from Dell was better. Also consider Logitech's G700 is now available and Logitech seem to be launching a lot of other stuff lately. It's quite possible that there will be replacements for the whole G series range (G500, G9x etc.) in time for, or during the holiday season. If you have a mouse that you're happy with and don't fancy the G700, a shrewd move may be to wait 2-3 months to see what else becomes available, perhaps hang on until as late CES in Jan. 2011 (Logitech used CES to lauch products in the past.)

Yeah, I'm not in any eager hurry here. Nothing to rush on. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Just got my dented box yesterday. I had to search for the actual dent. it looked like something you would buy at best buy. pretty crazy they would take $50 off because of it. Now i want the grip but $16 is so absurd!

Back