The Future of Gaming is eSports is VR DEATHMATCH!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Well, "VR Deathmatch" is not exactly how Reuters spells out its take on "Esports," but I felt we had to run with it as you will see below. eSports events have started to garner enough support that Reuters announced today that it will "devote a wire" to covering this section of the industry, which is getting YUGE! While a lot of eSports events look like the picture below, we think it is going to be a bit more than that.

For some publishers, esports will offer a new and younger audience to their platform. According to Statista, worldwide audience is expected to reach 589 million viewers by 2020. Approximately 23% of esports viewers are between the ages of 25 and 34 and a majority are male.

Gearbox Software and the city of Frisco, TX have been cooperating with eSports in mind. Recently, what used to be Texas' biggest LAN gaming event, "The FRAG," was brought back to reality. HardOCP, InsideVR, and others were involved in our first test event at Dr. Pepper Arena. InsideVR (which I am a partner in) invested our time and resources to put together our first two-person VR Arena that allowed users to play head-to-head live-action Raw Data deathmatch while standing side-by-side in their own VR pods. You can get a look at how that turned out below. Even with it being a small event, watching the VR deathmatch was quite exciting and we were able to live stream the event as well in order to test out all the new equipment, which we showed off some of a couple weeks ago.

Check out the video!

The EdgeTV VR Arena all started out as an idea that progressed through a bunch of testing, to building, to testing in my garage, to finally becoming an reality this month at The FRAG. It has been a fun journey and I think VR will surely find its place in eSports. The fact of the matter is that it is a whole lot more fun to watch, and certainly a lot more fun to actually participate in. We have no less than six more events scheduled for 2018 here in North Texas and I am going to suggest that you might find the VR Arena popping up a few other places as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: Monte
like this
neat setups. Im wondering how long till we see VR setups like you saw in the old movie the lawnmower man, where you had complete 3 axis of movement

and im sure.. the first game to use such a setup will involve lightsabers

LOL

Given the some of the weird ass sporting events I've seen in the Winter Olympics, I've wondered just how soon it will be that eSports will be in the Summer Olympics or have some kind of worldwide competition similar to that.

VR eSports seems like it can really take off. I got Onward on sale the other day and I was blown away at its gameplay. It is very physical and definitely takes more coordination than your typical KB\M game.

You will sweat by getting your heart rate up, but not by cardio or use of muscles. It's more tension. Sort of what a scary game does to me. I'm not bashing VR, just a bit of eye rolling at the name. It's cool and all.

Heart rate up = cardio. If you're up and moving around the increase in HR is not simply from "tension" as you put it. Comparing tension from something like a scary game to actually standing and moving around is not even in the same ballpark. Not to mention that VR games do very well make use of your muscles. I played Onward for 3 hours the other night and woke up the next morning with my legs and calves sore as hell from all the ducking and crouching.

Last edited:
You will sweat by getting your heart rate up, but not by cardio or use of muscles. It's more tension. Sort of what a scary game does to me. I'm not bashing VR, just a bit of eye rolling at the name. It's cool and all.
Yeah, we know your thoughts already on nomenclature. As for the rest of your thoughts on physical exertion a bit of ignorance may be showing. Even something simple like Space Pirate Trainer will wear your ass out. But what do I know.....

Heart rate up = cardio. If you're up and moving around the increase in HR is not simply from "tension" as you put it. Not to mention that VR games do very well make use of your muscles. I played Onward for 3 hours the other night and woke up the next morning with my legs and calves sore as hell from all the ducking and crouching.
Hehe, we put a military trainer through Onward. Not as exciting as playing it yourself. DON'T SHOOT THE HOSTAGE!

He definitely played that much calmer than I did. Every time I'd hear gunshots I'd immediately get down and start looking everywhere, hah. I'd also crouch from cover to cover because it does feel pretty tense while playing.

He definitely played that much calmer than I did. Every time I'd hear gunshots I'd immediately get down and start looking everywhere, hah. I'd also crouch from cover to cover because it does feel pretty tense while playing.
I guess a few tours in Iraq will do that to you. ;)

Spoken like someone who has not actually played a physically-intensive VR game before.

Looks interesting but I couldn't even watch the footage without a headache. Way too jittery. But I'm a wuss when it comes to that. Anything with a lot of random motion in it and I'm reaching for the puke bucket and an icepack for my head.

Eh, I don't watch regular sports so I'm not about to watch this. I like to do sports, just don't get any enjoyment watching other people do sports.

At its current state not even close. Maybe in 5 years when the technology catches up and better developed games but for now it's still clunky as hell IMO..

At its current state not even close. Maybe in 5 years when the technology catches up and better developed games but for now it's still clunky as hell IMO..
What have you played?

Back