The Future of External Graphics Cards

Zurec

n00b
Hey People,

In mid-July i will present my Bachelor-Thesis of Industrial Design. The topic is the evolution of computing power, with the main focus on videocards. I did some research on the technological progression, aswell as the socio-cultural aspect of the future workplace.

Based on this theoretical construct, i have developed a concept of an external graphics solution. I`d like to show you some very rough and early concepts/mock ups, in i would love to hear your feedback on the main idea.

As is the focus of my university, the concept needs to be very future-oriented, so existing technological restrictions like usb-bandwith or pcb-size are no restrictions.
What you see is basically an extrapolation, of what we might see in the future.

That beeing said, here ist the main idea: Graphics cards are the part of the hardware that have the fastest product cycles of all computer hardware, and also the highest performance gains per generation. So we see a more and more GPU-driven workstations around. At the same time, people want to be as mobile as possible, so we see more and more ultrabooks and even tablets used for all types of work around. Of course, those are very limited in processing power, especially in graphics power. The idea of an external graphics card is not new, but my take isnt based on how gpus look today, but rather how one could imagine them in the future.

Basically, my concept consists of a small docking station, which contains the power supply, and the ports. The GPU(s) are inserted from the top.

Here are some early sketches and mock-ups:

I would really like to hear your thoughts on this. again, it should be a concept for the future, so i will extrapolate some very efficient GPUs, smaller then ever (3D-stacking, SOC-principle)
It is more a draft for the future than a concept we would see tomorrow.
Just leave any thoughts you have on this topic.

Thank you for your time!

These future gpu's look very small in your drawings compared to the size of the cable coming out of the dock. With gpu's becoming smaller and more power efficient I think integrated solutions will become better and continue to be the norm in laptops/notebooks.

Last edited:
Neat idea, but this seems more suited toward lower power chips (since everything looks passively cooled). What is the cable? Just power or power and data? Is this just the design of the aesthetics or is it meant to be more technical? If it's technical then what sort of bus are you using that can work with so few pins?

Although I agree with Killerxp100, I do like the idea of theoretical. Back when floppy disks were the primary source of external storage for the home user, products like the Zip drive were outlandish, and USB flash drives weren't even considered. As resolutions continue to increase the need for incredibly powerful GPUs will also increase. Since we have dual-graphics laptops today, I don't see the idea of an external GPU solution being outside the realm of possibility. This would allow a laptop to be thin, lightweight, and extremely portable, but then docked when you need the boost. Keep in mind, GPUs are used for more than just games, everything from Adobe Premiere to Sony Vegas Pro (and much more) uses GPU cycles.

I like the idea of the docking station having the ability for multiple modules, but if we're working in the realm of theory I think having the ability to expand beyond four would be nice. Personally, I would look into either vertical stacking of 'plates' with each module providing an expansion port for additional optional modules, or an expansion port built into the base unit so that you can daisy chain additional modules (much like we can do now with rack mounted switches). Also, keep in mind that there are several GPUs today that work well on passive cooling, and the need for cooling vents might not be necessary or preferable. The Mac Mini today is passively cooled and semi-sealed, partially because of the aluminium case, and as a result doesn't get clogged with dust like other units do that use fans.

Good luck with your thesis.

You could take it a step further and incorporate convergence into your thesis. As I see it 10-15 years down the road laptops will be replaced by tablets. I would suggest that the 4.5 inch phone I have in my pocket have the option to dock on the desktop to harness the horsepower of the GPU blocks and in turn become my only computing device. Multi monitor goodness running crysis on a phone. Additionally throw in "big screen" option to dock (or wirelessly pair) a larger portable screen for mobile entertainment / content consumption. Essentially in this future the desktop and laptop disappear in favor of a mobile personal computing device that docks for desktop work, and pairs for mobile entertainment. The core device is your phone, and the peripherals harness GPU power to run intensive tasks.

Gfx cards are necessarily kept very close to the motherboard so connections are kept short. The PCI-E bus speed can be maximised and latency is kept to a minimum.
If you extend the length of the bus to the gfx card, you increase latency and reduce max performance.
The layout of the tracks is also important to minimise crosstalk and other interference + transmission problems.

The future will have tighter integration to allow increased speed, the opposite of an external card.
Thats not to say that an external type interface wont ever be used, but it wont be for the highest performing segment of the market.

If you are talking pure computing from GPUs, well I don't think there is a future in external personal devices.
In the future, there won't be a need for external graphics for your laptop/mobile device, since your SOC/APU will have more than enough power for day to day tasks.

The future is cloud based computing and we have already seen quite a large leap in the past few years. There is no reason to try to confine a minimal amount of compute power into your personal device when you have can have 10000x that much power off-site at your fingertips.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies so far! It`s really helpful, and part of all the things you said were in my notes at some point. What mhenley and shyboi said is part of my theory. In fact, another strong crosscurrent is the cloud-based computing. With remote Desktops, content-streaming etc it is a strong competitor. But would you trust an anonymous Server with all your data? Hard to say.
However, it is one mayor trend that devices become thinner and lighter, until there is basically a screen left with some kind of frame and a few ways to interact. If we look at the new macbook, that is also the way notebooks are going, and why should`nt they? Research has shown that most people (89%) in the "creative industry", while happy to be able to work mobile wherever they are, still prefer to have one place like an office, where they can work together with people in the same or similar professions, even if only a coworking space.
That is another aspect of my concept; there are two docking ports on each side, (USB-C or the future of it, that may be able to transfer all data and Power in one cable) which enables to plug in multiple devices into one terminal. One concept is, like mhenley suggested to be able to link multiple devices together, to be able to adapt to the needed processing power.

Darakian, to Answer your question: It is a simplified depiction of a future mezzanine connector. The main focus is not on the technical side, but rather on the concept. As much as i would like to experiment with existing technology to prove my point (It is in fact possible today, to have multiple GPUs in a thunderbolt enclosure with an extra Power Supply) but that is sadly not given in my timeframe.

Anyways, thanks for your feedback and comments so far, keep 'em comming! ;)

I've looked into all kinds of existing external graphics solutions, and they are all basically the same: Its a big box, with standardized components. The provided power supplies are some really big tax-power supplies. Its like a small desktop tower, only for a graphics card, and most space is wasted.

Part of this project is also to emphasize on not to look for existing technologies to make a product, but rather to frame a desirable state, and to develop the technology to meet it (Or meet most of it)

Anyways, here are some renderings. One aspect of the project also is to convey the value of computing power in an aesthetic way (If that makes sense) Its one aspect aside of the technical functions, how the user perceives a product, what feelings it provokes and if he accepts it as a part of his daily life, so to speak. (Big part of Apples success is build on that)

It has a lot of good design elements. That is great but For ID I have one criticism. The good part is you get to decide if I'm full of it. My first impression was it's just a bunch of rectangular blocks stacked up. Can you do something to make it look interesting?

It has a lot of good design elements.

Eh, is it? It's not particularly aesthetically pleasing and is chock full of functional issues.

What's the story with the Powerline name? Doesn't really seem to fit the application and its already used in the computer industry.

Needs to have more modular flexibility. Being stuck with this 4-port dock when you only want one "GPU unit" is just hokey. And what if you want more than 4 "GPU units"? The dock should have one port, then each additional "GPU unit" should have the capability of having an additional "GPU unit" added to it. Making the dock for four units is just...eh.

Your "design" for cooling sucks. Cooling vents on only one side isn't going to work. You need inlet ports and outlet ports, referably on the bottom and top, respectively...especially if you're relying on free convection cooling.

What, specifically, are the "ports" for? Additional displays? Isn't this primarily for ultrabooks and tablets? The primary display is already on the device itself.

All in all, I can't say I'm a fan. But hey, I'm an engineer, so we've got some preconceived distaste for designers anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, we have been kicking this type of idea (external GPUs in general) around for years. The problem is getting the data back into the laptop or PC... and guess what, Intel (Thunderbolt licensing) isn't keen on the idea. At All.

Back