The Future of Darksiders & Red Faction IP

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
As many of you will know already, THQ bit the dust and publisher Nordic Games acquired several of their larger IPs. Among them are both Darksiders & Red Faction. Nordic has expressed the current status of these two IPs to IGN in this article.

It appears that while we may not see either of these games any time soon, there is a very high chance we will see these two franchises at some point in the future. It is encouraging to hear that Nordic are currently talking with former Volition members about the future of the Red Faction series, however, Red Faction has been given less priority due to the poor reception of RF: Armageddon.

I'm really hoping I can get a true Red Faction Guerrilla sequel within my lifetime!

I would like to see another Darksiders game before yet another FPS.

Ditto.

I love the Darksiders IP. I didn't like the second one as much, but it was still better than many games. I like the world and would love to see more stories from it.

I don't play many FPS games (motion sickness), so I don't really care if they do anything with Red Faction or not...

Red Faction has had some good games, and I think it has a lot of potential left to be lived up to. Darksiders... I don't know. I liked the first one better than the second, but their decision to try and mix Zelda, RPGs and beat 'em ups kinda felt unfocused. I also didn't really find the world design to be as engaging as other adventure games, and didn't end up having that much fun exploring. Again, Darksiders 1 was better in almost all these areas, but still had some shortcomings in most of them. Great ideas that just didn't really come together.

I loved the Darksiders games. They're like God of War crossed with Zelda. The second one was a little tedious at times, but I still played it all the way through and did all of the side stuff.

While I don't want the IP to go away, I also think they took that style of game about as far as they could without getting into Assassin's Creed territory and releasing DLC as a yearly sequel.

A re-boot in 3-5 years would certainly be welcome, though.

I personally love the Darksiders IP. There were so many things wrong with the game play but at the same time, it was also fun.

I loved the Darksiders games. They're like God of War crossed with Zelda. The second one was a little tedious at times, but I still played it all the way through and did all of the side stuff.

While I don't want the IP to go away, I also think they took that style of game about as far as they could without getting into Assassin's Creed territory and releasing DLC as a yearly sequel.

A re-boot in 3-5 years would certainly be welcome, though.

I think some new members to the development team could help smoth Darksiders out, too.

No shit Armageddon was poorly received... Has everyone forgotten how amazing the first Red Faction was on PC?

Two things stood out a lot in Red Faction that were new and exciting gameplay mechanics; one being Geomod, and the second being that every weapon has a alternate fire. EVERY weapon. I've never seen that before in a game.

I loved the setting, story, and gameplay. The rest all sucked with the exception of Guerrilla in that blowing shit up has never been more fun.

I love Darksiders and I'm glad they were picked up despite the company going down in flames. Red Faction was amazing as well and I'm also hoping to see a new one before I'm too old to enjoy it!

RF: Armageddon really made me an angry person & I constantly felt sick. I guess I'm subconsciously claustrophobic.

DF1 really killed it for me with the horrid controls & the canned boss fights. I stopped playing it after a while.

DF2 was quite fun until I hit the Hell area & really hated fighting the enemies there. Stopped playing that one, too.

I guess I don't see much of a loss if both of these franchises never see the light of day again. If a miracle happens twice over where both have been given amazing sequels, I might try them again...

No shit Armageddon was poorly received... Has everyone forgotten how amazing the first Red Faction was on PC?

Two things stood out a lot in Red Faction that were new and exciting gameplay mechanics; one being Geomod, and the second being that every weapon has a alternate fire. EVERY weapon. I've never seen that before in a game.

I loved the setting, story, and gameplay. The rest all sucked with the exception of Guerrilla in that blowing shit up has never been more fun.

Didn't Unreal Tournament have ever gun with alt fire too? I thought it came out before Red Faction.

I'm pretty sure the regular single player-centric Unreal had alternate fire for all of the guns, too.

Didn't Unreal Tournament have ever gun with alt fire too? I thought it came out before Red Faction.

Yeah you're right, but I meant more for single player and I never played Unreal 1 or 2 much so I couldn't comment on it.

I would just like to see the return of the Geo-Mod engine. Guerrilla really was an underrated game and had some brilliant emergent gameplay. Bringing that back in a future title with destructible terrain would be amazing. Even if they had to put some limits on the terrain depth, it would make the general gameplay much more dynamic. The mission set-pieces in that game were excellent even if the game world seems a bit empty and sparse. However, I can understand that was probably due to the technical limitations of consoles.

I would just like to see the return of the Geo-Mod engine. Guerrilla really was an underrated game and had some brilliant emergent gameplay. Bringing that back in a future title with destructible terrain would be amazing. Even if they had to put some limits on the terrain depth, it would make the general gameplay much more dynamic. The mission set-pieces in that game were excellent even if the game world seems a bit empty and sparse. However, I can understand that was probably due to the technical limitations of consoles.

There's also the problem with, if you make the entire terrain destructable, then it makes creating puzzles hard to do, because people could just tunnel to the end and bypass everything.

A new Red Faction for the next generation of consoles would be pretty nice, though...

There's also the problem with, if you make the entire terrain destructable, then it makes creating puzzles hard to do, because people could just tunnel to the end and bypass everything.

A new Red Faction for the next generation of consoles would be pretty nice, though...

There are a couple of different methods they could use to prevent players drilling too much.. One would be to create an impenetrable hard rock layer under the earth. Having certain indestructible building foundations in certain instances etc. In certain areas such as puzzle areas you mentioned, they implement certain materials that cannot be destroyed (such as the badlands bridge support beams in Guerrilla).

There are a couple of different methods they could use to prevent players drilling too much.. One would be to create an impenetrable hard rock layer under the earth. Having certain indestructible building foundations in certain instances etc. In certain areas such as puzzle areas you mentioned, they implement certain materials that cannot be destroyed (such as the badlands bridge support beams in Guerrilla).

But doesn't that start to defeat the purpose of a destructable terrain? You're basically listing off faults of the previous Red Faction games to me, lol.

You can give them limited ammunition. Basically, make so if they use up their ammunition, they get screwed in the next area. You made the choice, can't blame the game.

You can give them limited ammunition. Basically, make so if they use up their ammunition, they get screwed in the next area. You made the choice, can't blame the game.

Or have an ammobox and give them limited ammunition they can carry around, so it's impractical for them to burrow their way to the endpoint.

Or make puzzles around the burrowing element.

But doesn't that start to defeat the purpose of a destructable terrain? You're basically listing off faults of the previous Red Faction games to me, lol.

Not really. The limitations I mentioned would only be implemented in mission critical situations. For example, the open world terrain would be entirely deformable until for example 10 metres deep. This would be plenty for it to enhance general game play.

Obviously, the indestructible materials would be used sparingly and very specifically in certain circumstances. That is where the importance of level design comes into play in making the game feel organic.

There absolutely are workarounds for all of the terrain deformability issues that would enhance gameplay without contradicting technical implementation and immersion. It's simply a matter of striking the right balance.

Back