The Future of Computing

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
Were at a interesting time for CPU development,
Silicon as we currently use it is getting to it's frequency limitations and with out a new material we may be stuck with a maximum of 4-5GHz for a long time,
AMD's chiplet CPU's have shaken up a once extremely stable market of just wintel sparking innovation not seen in a long while,
Memory Tec that has languished behind for generations is starting to get the attention it deserves with faster DDR and HBM,
The mechanical HDD is on the way out and all solid state solution's are becoming the norm,
We are reaching the nm limitation and soon a node shrink will be impossible

I have been thinking about this and more as of late, we are reaching the end of a generation and will have to embark on a new one sooner or later, will we hold the course and just keep adding cores to make up for other limitations on CPU design keep using memory like a separate module from the CPU or have fully integrated HBM on the CPU or maybe have fast ram and slow expandable ram....

I figured I would start a conversation about the possible future of computing given how things look today, being there is many possibility and many approaching obstacles that will need to be solved one way or another.

Anyway this is just to talk about possibility and speculation on what the future may hold so there is no wrong answers

Well hope this is't to nerdy of me but i like to speculate about upcoming technologies

Moving the memory closer to the compute is one lever to increase performance.

Moving to gallium semiconductors will allow higher frequency ranges but it introduces other engineering issues that so far have not been worth tackling for bulk mfg.

Heterogeneous cores is another leaver. Instead of 16 large general purpose CPU, a heterogeneous mix of general plus special purpose could improve overall performance. The APU is the first example of this.

Back