The future of Computer Graphics (GPU, PPU etc.) / Do we really WANT this even?

Zinn said:
Wow, Terra. Way to be rude!

I think SyCyS brings up some very valid points. Of the most concern to me as that with the amount of money it's costing these days to make games more "realistic," the only developers that can afford to do this are backed by huge companies that care more about money than innovation. Games are getting into a rut like the movie industry--the stakes for developers are so high that everyone is afraid to try new things.

I agree with SyCyS in that we should at least consider what the cut off point is. How much is too much? I remember back when I was a kid, games seemed new and fresh, and that's not only because they were new to me but because people were creative, innovative and not afraid to try new things. Now people won't even play games if they don't have uber leet graphics. It's sad for me to see, and it's discouraging to upstart developers with fresh ideas.

Is that a good thing, Terra? I'm not sure, but it's certainly not "stupid" to consider.

QFT

That's pretty much the way iv'e felt about the recent and upcoming generation of consoles. It seems now they just keep coming out faster and faster so people can oogle at the graphics but with no innovations and no real gameplay. It's like a week of fun gameplay, then you put it down forever unlike a lot of SNES/NES games that I used to remember and love a lot hwen I was younger. The last game I really remember having fun with was Theif 3. The gameplay is just unmeasurably good and it just sucked me in.

It just seems like we're pushing for what's next which is great and all, but down the wrong path I think.

All I know is it better fit in the PCI-e 1x slot at the top of my board above the video cards, or I'm gonna have to get a motherboard with more slots lol.

yes but realise you put "when i was younger" so were we all, shit's just more interesting at younger ages, flashing lights, action...etc.... it's what kids do freak out on extra energy, now we're older, i'm mostly saying this from my perspective, i used to play non-stop sonic but if i was to play it now i'd be so bored shitless with those games, i prefer stuff like bf2 these days, lots of people shooting the living shit out of each other = excellent.... heck i cant wait for mmofps's (plz dont mention planetside cuz it sucked balls) that actually have a good engine, so in the end i'm happy ppu's are coming out

I'm not looking to see the basketball player sweat, but it would be cool to see the adiences folding chairs move when a player falls onto them....
I'm not looking for a more realistic looking car on a driving game (as really those are available) but would like to see that cars tire really look flat, and if I kept driving on the flat eventually have a 'cops' looking scene of sparks coming off the rim.
In a FPS I wanna be able to go thru EVERYDOOR, and EVERYWINDOW, I wanna be able to pick EVERYITEM up, even if it's a peice of the door I just kicked apart.

Yeah, I all about BETTER GAMING..

I'm not even sure how a second generation PPU would outperform or differ from first generation PPU with a PC game tooled for minimum requirements.

Maybe PPUs will start off as a 4-5 year investments until a company changes the nature of physics gaming totally like what Nvidia did to 3dFX.

SiathLinux said:
I'm not looking to see the basketball player sweat, but it would be cool to see the adiences folding chairs move when a player falls onto them....
I'm not looking for a more realistic looking car on a driving game (as really those are available) but would like to see that cars tire really look flat, and if I kept driving on the flat eventually have a 'cops' looking scene of sparks coming off the rim.
In a FPS I wanna be able to go thru EVERYDOOR, and EVERYWINDOW, I wanna be able to pick EVERYITEM up, even if it's a peice of the door I just kicked apart.

Yeah, I all about BETTER GAMING..

You are making EXACTLY the point that i was going towards with this post. It all sounds great in theory. Kick in every window, blow down a solid wall with a tank shell etc etc. But now imagine: The sniper hiding spot blown to pieces in a multiplayer game. ALL hiding spots blown to pieces. The snipers game is pretty much over. Class balance is gone down the drain. Everything is rubble in the whole level. Why? Because everything can be destroyed. And people destroy what they can destroy. The whole level design is now ad absurdum and completely useless. Shortcuts become main streets. Main streets can't be passed anymore. Realistic? The hell yeah. But try to make a level designer make a level based on this that is even halfway playable without tossing out the balance of the map. It can be done, for sure, but how long does it take a designer to evaluate all these possibilities?

People shout for new maps in a game 2 weeks after release. Can you imagine if new maps don't take 2-3 weeks to make but maybe 8-12 months? Gameplay would suffer greatly.

buttlazy said:
I'm not even sure how a second generation PPU would outperform or differ from first generation PPU with a PC game tooled for minimum requirements.

Maybe PPUs will start off as a 4-5 year investments until a company changes the nature of physics gaming totally like what Nvidia did to 3dFX.

The same way GPU's differ...the ability to compute more objects (in the case of GPU more pixels or polys etc.)

Computing more and more objects is great and all, but just becuase a PPU card can handle 30,000 objects (or more) doesn't mean the GPU can. New games are still being released that tax vid cards pretty hard. So the addition of a PPU in your system right now will most likely result in very few changes to your games for the next year or two.

buttlazy said:

Heartless, but true.

Don't forget that even with all this there are still games out there that cater to gameplay over eyecandy, but they don't sell as well.

Really, if you want better gameplay, stop buying games that don't have good gameplay, if everyone did this then the game companies would change their focus.

Eyecandy is not inherantly bad, and bad eyecandy doesn't make good gameplay. Research your games before buying them, and get ones that you will like.

==>Lazn

What is happening in the gaming industry has already happened in hollywood.
It will take major bucks to develop games with fancy eye/physics/multicore candy....major bucks only big developers/distributors will have. They will only push games that have mass appeal and won't take risk on innovative stuff. The small guys will got washed out/bought out. Games will all look/play the same. It's already happened, but it will get worse.

Just like in Hollywood: movies with dumb, canned plots but lots of special effects and tons of promotion.....push a movie hard for the first weekend and then go to the next one, or its sequel.

Ruiner said:
What is happening in the gaming industry has already happened in hollywood.
It will take major bucks to develop games with fancy eye/physics/multicore candy....major bucks only big developers/distributors will have. They will only push games that have mass appeal and won't take risk on innovative stuff. The small guys will got washed out/bought out. Games will all look/play the same. It's already happened, but it will get worse.

Just like in Hollywood: movies with dumb, canned plots but lots of special effects and tons of promotion.....push a movie hard for the first weekend and then go to the next one, or its sequel.

You obviously don't get IFC.

Check out Primer / Pi / heck tons of independant movies that have been great and if you look around there is probably a theater near you that shows them. (there are 4 in Phx that I can think of off the top of my head that cater to this kind of movie)

==>Lazn

I for one couldnt care less about this PPU crap. Who cares if my dude has realistic arm hair?
All it means is more money and time to develop games, IE more generic games that put graphics above gameplay. For all that I care, graphics could go back to the PS1 days.

More I have to upgrade = more I want a console.

Does the computer gaming industry understand they are digging themselves into a hole? Sales have been declining for years, you think they would wake up.

Back