The front panel header and what sound card it uses

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just watched a Paul’s hardware video on YouTube and I had to come here and ask this question. According to Paul some motherboards front panel audio connection uses a different sound card. This sounds about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. If a motherboard had dual audio chips I’m sure they would advertise it. Can anyone think of and motherboard with dual audio chips?

So I just watched a Paul’s hardware video on YouTube and I had to come here and ask this question. According to Paul some motherboards front panel audio connection uses a different sound card. This sounds about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. If a motherboard had dual audio chips I’m sure they would advertise it. Can anyone think of and motherboard with dual audio chips?
Every AMD motherboard with an APU has two, one in the APU and one on the board. As far as two on the board itself, I'm not aware of any.

Every gpu these days has one on it. What he is saying is if you use the front panel audio header it uses a lesser quality sound
Card than the one advertised by the manufacturer.

Every gpu these days has one on it. What he is saying is if you use the front panel audio header it uses a lesser quality sound
Card than the one advertised by the manufacturer.
Shouldn't be, but I guess it depends on how your case and motherboard are configured. If you have AC97 emulation enabled, then that may be "less quality" than "HD Audio", but if it's "HD Audio" it should be the same as the rear audio ports (minus optical, because most all front panel audio ports don't have it, and then there'll be some noise if the wires aren't protected from rfi).

I don't understand the lesser quality per sound card statements. It uses whatever the header is jacked to.

I never use the front headers as those cheap components and skinny little wires running past all the internal case EMI would decrease quality.

The long cord that runs through the case I could see introducing some noise. That isn’t out of the realm of possibility. But there is no motherboard that I know of that has a second sound card for the front panel.

Different sound card? No. Different processing? Yes. My ASRock front audio headers are "amped" for headset. I can't plug my headset on the rear IO as the volume will be too low (it's meant for a desktop speaker).

The Z390/Z490 dark has a separate front and rear output cards, not sure exactly how they operate but that's how they're marketed.

So that isn’t two sound cards. It has an amp on the front panel header, but it still uses the same sound card.

Back