The Forest

King Icewind

Supreme [H]ardness
There was another thread for this already but I can't find it.

Anyways, I bought this tonight. It just came out a day or so ago. I had read and saw some of it previously. It looked like a good concept. Pretty much your plane crash lands on an island, there's cannibals, and you have to gather resources/build things to survive.

Well, this right now is essentially pre-alpha. It was toted a bit as being 'released' but not even close. It ended up being $12 after selling those silly steam cards, so I bought it anyways.

I definitely suggest to not buy it yet. Main reason being there is a "Load" button, but there is no way to save. It just randomly closes with no error message, freezing, or anything exactly every 30-45 minutes. So, you get to start right over.

Other points of interest in no particular order:
  1. No save as mentioned
  2. You have to watch the crash scene every time (can't skip)
  3. The cannibals are freaking everywhere. They wander, and it's hard to get any personal space.
  4. You get no time to build due to the reason above.
  5. They are million times faster than you
  6. Some of them refuse to die. I was attacking the same guy for about 5 minutes with an axe..
  7. They will build these disgusting 'effigies' in your front lawn and there's no way to destroy them
  8. You can combine items, but I can't make a torch with some cloth, a stick, and alcohol?
  9. Textures can be crazy low in same places
  10. Random glitches
  11. Cabins won't build level. I know in real life if you were stranded on an island that may be impossible, but for the sake of the game that would be nice.
  12. Sometimes they will take you into their cave dwellings where they can apparently climb completely vertical cave walls and horizontal ceilings. It so hard to see in there, and of course building a torch seems impossible, the lighter is so puny, and you can't hold a weapon and a flare at the same time
  13. They can walk under water. You are forced to swim but they will just run along the bottom like there's no water. Ha.
  14. Hit detection is annoying, and your axe won't always move to the block/parry position when you press the right mouse button as it should

Things I'd like to see:
  1. Survival Mode; you die it's over. Start again.
  2. Checkpoint/Saves mode
  3. Building/Resource mode where there's no cannibals just yourself
  4. Single player/ Multiplayer mode where you can build and release the cannibals waves ala castle defense style
  5. Just a general multiplayer mode
  6. Ability to skip crash scene
  7. Option to not have the cannibals come out for a few days after crashing, so you can build up
  8. Just less cannibals and have them spaced out. I had literally 15-20 of them in front of me once.
  9. Ability to build bow/arrows (or can you do this?), and many other weapons
  10. Ability to build a cart so I haul things rather than having to carry everything, along with more things to build, but it looks like they are working on that last part already
  11. Let me salvage that light source the cannibals have

Otherwise the forest is a decent looking game. The trees are nice. I think there's a lot of potential. I just wish I could play it. There's not much point right now. You are either dead right away, or it crashes with no saves.

Anyone else have the game? What do you think of it?

I'd like to think anything at all about the game, but when I load it I just get a blank white screen. I clicked randomly and accidentally seemed to hit an "options" menu item but then I couldn't do anything else.
Oh well, I'm not complaining, I'll just wait.
Damn you, Robbaz, for continually tempting me to pick up things like this.

Damn you, Robbaz, for continually tempting me to pick up things like this.

Same reason I got it. LOL

Well, it doesn’t crash for me. But without a save option, that is pointless too. I was able to build the small shelter and a fire, but they still attacked me. I also found the sailboat is a good place at night. What I really thought was funny was they are able to run underwater with torches.

The game is supposed to save when you "sleep" in your shelter but that is broken. I even tried building a shelter on an island in the middle of the lake, (seems the terrain was different for each time I loaded the game), next to nothing and in the evening, the cannibals just magically appeared on the island, they didn’t run to it, they just appeared on it.

Looks interesting, but with only 4 people working on this I have my reservations.

The no saving atm is definitely annoying.

I managed to get some time to build yesterday.

More than likely it was because of a glitch.

I started out at the beach landing site.

Built a fire, and a hunters shelter.

The assholes came, and knocked me out.

I woke up in the cave. grabbed the flare gun, and escaped without seeing a single one,

Then as you look into the mainland from the beach i followed the shore to the left for quite some time.

Killed three assholes at a wierd little camp. kept going, and reached the end of the map so to speak (gave me a notifcation that said to check back soon)

I built a log cabin, and a few other things, Got bored and went looking for some enemies, Could not find a single one anywhere on the map lol

That video is funny. This game has a lot of promise; I'll keep my eye on it..

I picked this up yesterday and have been playing on and off since. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Lots of fun going all "predator" and setting up traps for crazy cannibals just to see a rabbit get demolished by a "happy b-day" trap. Once the save feature gets implemented I'll definitely be putting a lot more time into this one.

still under development huh? im *very* interested on this game but i'll wait

I watched the PewDeePie gameplay video on this. Looks interesting, had some laughs when he got scared shirtless in one part.

But yeah, seems to be buggy.

Great info, OP! Thanks for posting! Sounds like several valid issues you found there, and I really hope the devs are able to fix all of those.

Yeah, I saw this game on Steam not too long ago, and was starting to get very interested 'till I saw the Early-Access banner. I have gotten burned on too many of these ventures already, and I have made a decision to not buy into another early access title until at least one of the ones I've already paid for becomes a real game.

I watched the PewDeePie gameplay video on this. Looks interesting, had some laughs when he got scared shirtless in one part.

But yeah, seems to be buggy.

This game is a lot of fun but way too buggy. You cant save being the biggest porblem and the canibals disappear after a certain time in the game.

I had to go see what you were talking about and I must have watched his reaction about 5 times it was so funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3uk3cUNEbU It is at about 12:20. and it is worth the watch So funny.

Other Early Access moneygrabbing devs should take note, post your blog updates using a female name and drooling neckbreads will throw their hard earned money at your unfinished and mediocre product in droves.

Sound a good idea for a game. But there is no save like you said and from the steam forum claim the save function should be in the next patch today.

You say it's impossible to build anything but I did it. It's hard... If the save function would work I would have a nice little camp by now with traps to kill the canibals.

We'll see how good get this game with time like for Rust.

It's a bug that will likely be fixed when .2 arrives.

Well even if it is fixed there is still no purpose because the cannibals disappear after about the 2nd or 3rd day and do not respawn making the trap building and fortress building useless. The game is pointless with out them because the survival aspect is just easy if you're low on energy go find 2 sticks and some leaves and kill the rabbit that is bound to be right next to you then cook it up on the fire.

Concept seems extremely cool. I'll keep an eye on it for updates and patches.

Other Early Access moneygrabbing devs should take note, post your blog updates using a female name and drooling neckbreads will throw their hard earned money at your unfinished and mediocre product in droves.

The butt hurt is strong with this one.

We're up to .08, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Really appeals to my inner 'fort making' child :D Cannibals are bastards and there's some pretty stunning work on that (I think) Unity engine. I don't know why but I've dumped 81 hours into it already...

We're up to .08, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Really appeals to my inner 'fort making' child :D Cannibals are bastards and there's some pretty stunning work on that (I think) Unity engine. I don't know why but I've dumped 81 hours into it already...

Has it improved? I've read through the thread and some of the posts stated it was very buggy. That was a few months ago, however.

I haven't touched it since the WoW expo dropped (sucked me in again)! But for such a small development team, and they've apparently expanded some it's pretty impressive work for an Alpha. Each point release makes some pretty darned interesting improvements. Is it buggy still? Yes. But is it game breaking buggy? Not imo. In fact I think it's worth it just to see what a dedicated alpha team can do!

Building stuff make sense now? Like it make sens in Rust legacy.
Because I've ask on the forum if the game good now and the only thing I have found out is troll.

Back