The First Zombie-Proof House

This blew my mind. A zombie apocalypse used to genuinely scare me until I read this. Now, I kind of want it to happen just to see if this works. :D
It would make a great movie plot. Scientists work on creating zombies for clean energy and of course a scientist gets bit and things go downhill from there. Or uphill depending on how you look at it.

great idea! I'm sure you can just swing by Home Depot and grab a nuclear reactor for your zombie fort.

I'd buy it just to keep the Jehovah's Witness' from ringing my doorbell. Draw bridge FTW!

That's fine and all that it might hold up against zombies, but I have 2 major problems with the roll up door.

1. Even if it is zombie resistant, it would be loud as hell listening to zombies beating on it all day.

2. It doesn't provide enough protection against humans. If you're going that far out there, might as well make it better at repelling gangs, civil war combatants and regular invasion forces. Perhaps sliding (reinforced concrete) walls or something. When you're not under duress, it could act as a racquetball court, rock climbing wall or something.

That's fine and all that it might hold up against zombies, but I have 2 major problems with the roll up door.

1. Even if it is zombie resistant, it would be loud as hell listening to zombies beating on it all day.

2. It doesn't provide enough protection against humans. If you're going that far out there, might as well make it better at repelling gangs, civil war combatants and regular invasion forces. Perhaps sliding (reinforced concrete) walls or something. When you're not under duress, it could act as a racquetball court, rock climbing wall or something.

Right on. Add paint-balling to that list.

I agree, That door would be so loud. The zombies wouldn't have to get me I would probably just shoot me self. and yes people proof is a must, watch the movie, The Road, you'll see why. That movie is so depressing it totally ruined the zombie apocalypse for me, even though it has nothing to do with zombies, just a post apocalyptic world. Though that didn't stop me from making a few zombie apocalypse contingency plans.

I agree, That door would be so loud. The zombies wouldn't have to get me I would probably just shoot me self. and yes people proof is a must, watch the movie, The Road, you'll see why. That movie is so depressing it totally ruined the zombie apocalypse for me, even though it has nothing to do with zombies, just a post apocalyptic world. Though that didn't stop me from making a few zombie apocalypse contingency plans.

Get one made without the door?

a deep well for drinking water
a way out besides the front door. I'd suggest a tunnel to the far side of the property so that when the zombies get to milling around waiting for you to come back to the front door, you can still leave without wasting time scoring a few dozen headshots.

This is where you'd die, you know zombies always use these as entry points :D

All you need for zombies is [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BezQ6orIALk]this[/URL].

Interesting idea. Seeing as the zombies seem to have an infinite energy source, you could task them with turning turbines... all it would take is a human for them to pursue and the generator is turned indefinitely. Once you establish what it is they pursue--sight, smell, sound, whatever--you can just rig up the necessary "carrot" for them to endlessly stagger after.

My God. The only thing standing between us and perfect green energy is the lack of zombies.

Good idea but won't work.

Zombies are essentially dead and rotting flesh, meaning no new skin is being generated. After walking/running/hobbling for some amount of miles, their feet/legs/arms will eventually wear down and they won't be able to move.

Zombies are essentially dead and rotting flesh, meaning no new skin is being generated. After walking/running/hobbling for some amount of miles, their feet/legs/arms will eventually wear down and they won't be able to move.

That only works with pathogen (virus) based zombies, magically (or otherwise fantastically) created zombies (D&D) might be different.

Well there's certainly no way that house is getting robbed. Who needs to postpone the mail and have someone turn on lights at night if you're on vacation when you can just lock the entire house up with steel/concrete walls?

Pretty bitchin' if I do say so myself. I hope this was constructed in some kind tornado/hurricane area, because I think it would be pretty cool to ride out a Hurricane or something like that in complete safety like that.

You just gave me a brilliant idea. Imagine this house, with its perfect square dimensions, that just collapses underground so that all that is exposed is the roof during a time of crisis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQoTS68e48w&feature=related

It would essentially work like that, except it's the entire house that goes underground, not just a single car garage. Now THAT would be awesome. In fact, I think they did just that in Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. The entire "White House" collapsed hundreds of feet underground with dozens of steel doors closing over top of it.

With all these tornado's dancing around me here in the midwest, I'd like to have one.

All they need is the fake doorbell that triggers the trap door which drops you into the 30' deep spike filled pit. Then they would even be safe from jehovah's witnesses.

With all these tornado's dancing around me here in the midwest, I'd like to have one.

I know how you feel dude, one of them hit a neighborhood about a a quarter mile from mine last week.

All they need is the fake doorbell that triggers the trap door which drops you into the 30' deep spike filled pit. Then they would even be safe from jehovah's witnesses.

No way man, they'd keep falling till they piled high enough to walk across....damn jehovans.

Interesting idea. Seeing as the zombies seem to have an infinite energy source, you could task them with turning turbines... all it would take is a human for them to pursue and the generator is turned indefinitely. Once you establish what it is they pursue--sight, smell, sound, whatever--you can just rig up the necessary "carrot" for them to endlessly stagger after.

My God. The only thing standing between us and perfect green energy is the lack of zombies.

Nice idea. If you ever get it going, let me know. I want to join your group - I can contribute my EX as the carrot.:D

So you use them anyway, and get the free energy while killing them off. A win-win.

I don't think you need a zombie proof house. You need a house full of non-morons. The house can be impenetrable, but then the kid opens the door, cause her pet Fluffy is still outside. BAM! Zombies invade at the time.

THIS

Anyone in major cities is screwed if there's a zombie outbreak. Those in the more "country" locations will probably be alright. We've been taught to use guns since we were children and we're stockpiling them.

I wouldn't mind living in that home actually, looks rather nice, when its front door is up and a beautiful spacious front yard.

Though I wouldn't be so sure if that front door can withstand against hordes of tanks and chargers:D

Anyone in major cities is screwed if there's a zombie outbreak. Those in the more "country" locations will probably be alright. We've been taught to use guns since we were children and we're stockpiling them.

Oh please, don't feed the stereotype...I know plenty of rural folk that dont own a single gun and lots of city folk that fit the country redneck stereotype. Now if you said that city people would have a lower chance of survival due to population densities I would agree with you.

i'd prefer a dome house with underground livable area. first floor of dome house totally impenetrable and the entrance inside to the underground like the door at Cheyenne mountain :D

also some kind of underground tunnel that leads away that allows one to escape

Oh please, don't feed the stereotype...I know plenty of rural folk that dont own a single gun and lots of city folk that fit the country redneck stereotype. Now if you said that city people would have a lower chance of survival due to population densities I would agree with you.

It's a little of both. I never said every country folk has a gun, nor ever city folk is without one, but type of gun they own is different. The reason for ownership is also different.

Rifle > handgun

Hell go to any large city and small city and see which type of gun sells better. Hell, haven't seen a place in Baltimore that sells long rifles.

So we collect them, immobilizing and storing most while using just what we need. When one wears out, we unbox another one to put in its place. Obviously this shouldn't be done where the zombies can bust out of their crates and flood the complex. Proper precautions can be taken.

also some kind of underground tunnel that leads away that allows one to escape

Once again, backup exits are ALWAYS surrounded by zombies making them a deathtrap.

You want backup protection, then you need to create a "panic room" that has controls for something like nerve gas or better yet, flamethrowers that are mounted throughout the house. In the event of a breach, everyone retreats to panic room, hit the button and the hole home becomes an incinerator. Of course, anything not made of concrete or steel gets destroyed but hey, this is survival baby...go steal what you lost.

Sorry for the double-post (no edit, damn it)..

To add to my last post, panic room needs to be sealed at all times to limit zombies from wondering into it and snatchin your ass when you close the door.

The problem with underground places is this:

Zombies don't fall up. They DO fall down. Depending on your zombie type, they don't climb. They're not very coordinated, so a simple maze entrance into a house on pylons is all you need. Easy in/out access from multiple entry points via a rope ladder. Any grappling hook can get you into the house if need be. It provides a vantage point to clear the field of the undead before exiting the house when you need to make a supply run. You can even boobytrap the area around the house to prevent unwanted living from entering.

Un-gated/maze entrance example:
Code:
            HOUSE
          __    __
_________|  ____  |_________
         |__    __|

WORLD

I'm pretty sure if a swarm of zombies hits that entrance area, they're getting in. There's no way in hell I'd leave it open.

Code:
            HOUSE
          _______
_________|  ___________________________
         |_______

WORLD
Alternately, you could do an even simpler gate design, now that I think about it.

I'm pretty sure if a swarm of zombies hits that entrance area, they're getting in. There's no way in hell I'd leave it open.

A 4-foot high wall would prevent them from climbing over assuming you keep the corpse-count down. It would also allow for line-of-sight. Assuming the open gate keeps 90% of the zombies out (They're dumb, remember. Going to push up against the wall instead of going through the opening), you only have to worry about dropping 10 zombies out of 100. From your elevated position, you can drop all 100 in the swarm and then just walk over and perform cleanup. It also allows for two gates if you do choose to use them. Personally, I'm not a fan of gates. When you're running from the undead, they're one more thing to unlock while in a rush, or another point of failure.

Guns are loud, attracting more zombies. Your fence isn't going to last very long if you are shooting at them and attracting even more.

Either way, I wouldn't have a gate or fence anyways. I'd just have my house elevated into the air on a 20 ft foundation of concrete, shaped as an inverted trapezoid. Only way into and out of the house would be a crane on top. Would also make a nice sniper perch. In emergencies, you can escape the house by repelling down the walls. Why have a fence at all, if they can't get into the house to begin with?

Just build the house large enough that you have room for a greenhouse on the roof, exercise locations on lower floors, etc. I wouldn't have windows at all, just tons of solar panels all around the walls. Walls would be at least 5 ft thick with criss-cross rebar. With such a house, I should have to worry about any kind of zombies or even vehicles hitting my house.

Now if we end up having flying zombies or ones that can climb concrete, then I'd have to rethink things.

Guns are loud, attracting more zombies. Your fence isn't going to last very long if you are shooting at them and attracting even more.

Either way, I wouldn't have a gate or fence anyways. I'd just have my house elevated into the air on a 20 ft foundation of concrete, shaped as an inverted trapezoid. Only way into and out of the house would be a crane on top. Would also make a nice sniper perch. In emergencies, you can escape the house by repelling down the walls. Why have a fence at all, if they can't get into the house to begin with?

Just build the house large enough that you have room for a greenhouse on the roof, exercise locations on lower floors, etc. I wouldn't have windows at all, just tons of solar panels all around the walls. Walls would be at least 5 ft thick with criss-cross rebar. With such a house, I should have to worry about any kind of zombies or even vehicles hitting my house.

Now if we end up having flying zombies or ones that can climb concrete, then I'd have to rethink things.
And because we are [H] here, instead of not having windows, the walls would be huge monitors that would be feed by cameras on the outside of the structure, making them look like windows. Situational awareness AND mental health all at once :D

I'd have a few "fake window" monitors, but a whole wall might be too much drain on power. I'm still trying to think of a way to have zombie power. I wonder if zombies release methane as they decompose. I'd assume they would, so you could harvest that to run a generator.

Maybe make a whole lawn that can somehow harvest kinetic energy. That way, when zombies walk around your place, they create power for you.

A 4-foot high wall would prevent them from climbing over assuming you keep the corpse-count down. It would also allow for line-of-sight. Assuming the open gate keeps 90% of the zombies out (They're dumb, remember. Going to push up against the wall instead of going through the opening), you only have to worry about dropping 10 zombies out of 100. From your elevated position, you can drop all 100 in the swarm and then just walk over and perform cleanup. It also allows for two gates if you do choose to use them. Personally, I'm not a fan of gates. When you're running from the undead, they're one more thing to unlock while in a rush, or another point of failure.

that requires constant monitoring. I think the point of a zombie safehold is to be able to get some sleep during the night without having to worry about waking up to some zombies eating you.
I like the idea of a maze filter thing to keep an entire mass of zombies converging on your gate entrances and possibly breaking through, but I think an open path straight to your front door at the end of the maze is silly, it doesnt hurt to have a locked gate entrance.

and a 4foot wall is way too short. Some people are tall enough to kinda fall right over a wall that short. One or two dead bodies at the wall and they can pretty much step over it.

Back