The first REAL eyefinity display candidate

Good luck building a machine that can power more than one 3840x2160 resolution display.

Why is it taking so long for OLED? I remember hearing about it a few years ago, and thought that it'd be mainstream by now.

Good luck building a machine that can power more than one 3840x2160 resolution display.

If you can afford three of those monitors, you can afford triple crossfire/sli with top end cards, and a seriously OCed cpu to go with it.

I guess I don't need to say, " I want", do I. Well, maybe. If lag is low enough, and there is no ghosting, I want it anyway.

If you can afford three of those monitors, you can afford triple crossfire/sli with top end cards, and a seriously OCed cpu to go with it.

I guess I don't need to say, " I want", do I. Well, maybe. If lag is low enough, and there is no ghosting, I want it anyway.

Even if you can afford it, I doubt triple SLI/Crossfire is going to be enough to power a resolution of 11,520x6480.

do want! not perhaps for eyefinity, but for sure in my living room... Heck, I wouldn't mind one hooked up to my pc for gaming on, but not three... (well, if I could afford it, and the [H]ardware to run it, sure...)

55" x 3 Eyefinity is ridiculous. I have 25" x 3 and it's already at the edges of my peripheral vision. It'd be awesome for simulator rigs though where you might have a racing seat/car chassis/suspension or glass cockpit putting distance between you and the monitors though.

I'll get something like this in 10 years when they are at today's Plasma/LCD prices. By then they will be 3D as well.

Why is it taking so long for OLED? I remember hearing about it a few years ago, and thought that it'd be mainstream by now.

There are two main problematic issues.

One is mass production costs for larger displays. This why you see a lot of OLED use now in small display devices, but large displays have not been making in roads.

The other is the issue that blue OLEDs in particular age faster than the other colors. Current methods to address this have less noticeable drawbacks in much higher PPI small displays.

I actually wonder if we might see a Quantum Dot LED vs OLED battle as we have with LCD vs Plasma.

If this goes like the typical PC industry, we'll have to wait for a new version of Windows to support this resolution and 6 months of graphics card drivers for them to catch up.

If this goes like the typical PC industry, we'll have to wait for a new version of Windows to support this resolution and 6 months of graphics card drivers for them to catch up.

I think the only one catching up here is you. This resolution has been supported for quite some time.

And in 3-4 years when it doesn't cost the estimated $15,000-20,000 I'll be able to afford one too! :rolleyes:

OLED is mainstream... In phones.

Not even, it was in on a few phones a year or so but now they're all pentile displays that blow but use less power. OLED was going to emerge on phones but died off very quickly.

Even if you can afford it, I doubt triple SLI/Crossfire is going to be enough to power a resolution of 11,520x6480.
Doesn't matter. 2-screen Eyefinity doesn't make sense now because the middle of the display is covered by a bezel. But if there is no bezel, then 2 screens suddenly make a lot more sense.

What the hell will even support that?

Interesting question. Is that verified as the next standard for HD or are they just making that up as they go along? Obviously 720p and 1080p are the current HD standards and this is just double 1080p.

Considering that a lot of media doesn't even use full 1080p yet outside of bluray it seems premature, I guess they can do perfect 4:1 pixel mapping to effortlessly upscale 1080p with perfect image quality, but that's a massive resolution to have to support, 4x the number of pixels of 1080p so 4x the bandwidth needed, 4x the amount of space on media to store it.

I know the PS Vita uses OLED, and a few phones, so it's just cost and the blue OLED? alright, fair enough.

Interesting question. Is that verified as the next standard for HD or are they just making that up as they go along? Obviously 720p and 1080p are the current HD standards and this is just double 1080p.

Considering that a lot of media doesn't even use full 1080p yet outside of bluray it seems premature, I guess they can do perfect 4:1 pixel mapping to effortlessly upscale 1080p with perfect image quality, but that's a massive resolution to have to support, 4x the number of pixels of 1080p so 4x the bandwidth needed, 4x the amount of space on media to store it.

Content for it will be a challenge.

There is no *physical* media replacement for Blu-Ray, right? And hard drive prices (or density) haven't exactly plummeted to the point where you are getting terabytes for the dollar, which you'd really need to have any kind of decent digital library at that resolution.

I can't imagine how many gb a movie would be in that resolution

Quite a few movies have already been filmed in 4k, and people have 4k projectors in their homes. Sure, it's expensive now, but I'd expect it to become much more mainstream in the next 2 years. 4k already has a few standards.

It's kind of strage that they go on about natural colors and then it looks pretty...oversaturated? :D

Burn in, expense and general fragility for not that much gain? But the PSP Vita uses one and loads of phones do too.

I know the PS Vita uses OLED, and a few phones, so it's just cost and the blue OLED? alright, fair enough.

The OLED screen on the Zune HD is pretty remarkable as well. (It really is a shame MS didn't push the Zune more).

But really, while these things would appear to be production-ready, it'll take quite some time before the prices come down to what the average individual would consider economical.

From article:

VESA noted that every new PC discrete and integrated graphics chipset from major suppliers has DisplayPort integrated. In addition, mainstream monitor and LCD panel controllers are broadly available to support next-gen monitor and projector designs.

:confused: This person is silly. Most monitors don't have display port and next to no nvidia cards do (the biggest GPU manafactuer) other than a few quadros. To find a monitor using it i'd have to look specifically, and I would bet money that either of the computer stores down the road wouldn't have 1.

From article:

:confused: This person is silly. Most monitors don't have display port and next to no nvidia cards do (the biggest GPU manafactuer) other than a few quadros. To find a monitor using it i'd have to look specifically, and I would bet money that either of the computer stores down the road wouldn't have 1.

Ain't mah fault you up'n supported HDMI over DP.

Luckily, more than a couple Ultrasharps support DP.

I understand pushing technology forward but it is going to be a LONG time before the market will accept a new standard. We will be able to get monitors and such with these res probably in the near future, but mainstream can forget about it.

We JUST got to were 720P/1080i is the broadcast standard....much less people are still getting their feet wet with bluray.

People aren't going to dump that to move to something else this soon.

I understand pushing technology forward but it is going to be a LONG time before the market will accept a new standard. We will be able to get monitors and such with these res probably in the near future, but mainstream can forget about it.

We JUST got to were 720P/1080i is the broadcast standard....much less people are still getting their feet wet with bluray.

People aren't going to dump that to move to something else this soon.

I have no majority for the pity.

From article:

Heh, all AMD series 5xxx, 6xxx and now 7xxx support DP.

As for displayport 1.2 support specifically, well 6xxx+ takes care of that.

I can't imagine how many gb a movie would be in that resolution

Put it to you this way: As far back as two years ago or so I was seeing stories about Pioneer and some other companies with 500GB Blu-Ray discs and such in the labs.

Put it to you this way: As far back as two years ago or so I was seeing stories about Pioneer and some other companies with 500GB Blu-Ray discs and such in the labs.

Thats one way to get rid of piracy, make the files so damn big they can only have a few of them on a harddrive. lol

Back