The First Phone with an In-Screen Fingerprint Sensor Will Come from Vivo

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Synaptics has cracked the problem of embedding fingerprint sensors into displays and is mass-producing the tech for smartphone vendor Vivo. According to analyst Patrick Moorhead, the sensor as “fast and simple,” while Synaptics claims it's twice as fast as 3D facial recognition like Apple's Face ID.

They are designed for smartphones with the very popular “infinity” OLED displays found in most premium phones like the Samsung Galaxy 8 or Apple iPhone X and activate in the display only when needed, saving battery. Just pick your phone up, touch the display where you see the illuminated fingerprint, and it will automatically unlock the phone.

How slow is modern slow sensor anyway? Shit, this fucking obsession with the wrong thing.... Fu fu fu fucking helllooooo!! We need bigger batteries, better ports ( none of this sticking out shit). Fucking hell.
That said , i guess it's cool not to see it and it be behind the screen.

besides the OMG its a new gadget thing, I just dont get the wide craze for phone security options. its damn annoying to have to "unlock" my phone everytime i want to use it. I didnt have any for years until just recently it was required for my work exchange server for my phone to connect.

but in general, why? its just an inconvenience

Because phones aren't just phones anymore and haven't been for a long time. They are pc's in our pockets and carry as much or more information about us and our banking etc than most desktop/laptop pc's do these days. So it's important to secure them as much as possible because people are careless and leave shit around and lose shit.

but in general, why? its just an inconvenience

Work requiring it is one thing, personal device is another. Plus what Savoy says. While it can be inconvenient would you rather have to deal with a lock or leave your phone somewhere and then have someone have instant access to your stuff. Believe me, I've had similar instances happen and it sucks. Especially when you have no idea who or where the person messing with you is.

I dont want my phone to record my fingerprints electronically and send them to whomever pays.

Because phones aren't just phones anymore and haven't been for a long time. They are pc's in our pockets and carry as much or more information about us and our banking etc than most desktop/laptop pc's do these days. So it's important to secure them as much as possible because people are careless and leave shit around and lose shit.

then why do people NOT have security on their wallets? it has your CC's, drivers license, etc

and if the phone is THAT important to you, why are you willy nilly leaving it lying around?

this was demoed half a year ago.

apple could have bought some, but seeing how slow it was, they probably passed.
apple seems to adopt tech only when performance is good enough.

then why do people NOT have security on their wallets? it has your CC's, drivers license, etc

and if the phone is THAT important to you, why are you willy nilly leaving it lying around?

if you never had someone try to look through your phone, then man you must live a lonely life

Back