The First Annual.... (Contest)

AtomicMoose said:
I don't think it is a big deal to setup a new username for the contest....

The way I see it, it is the only way to do it really. Constructive suggestions are welcomed though. :)

How about [H]ardy Boys?:p :D

KodiakStar said:
first you would need one of those 24"+ widescreens to fit the picture all in :p

I unfortunatly have 2 of them hooked up atm so I live in fear of the Marty everytime I read this forum :)

p[H]ant0m said:
The big thing is this is the only way I know of to get single box stats. So many of us have multiple boxen, our current usernames would be unable to be used. Now if you've got a single boxen, you can enter as your current F@H name, but short of Stanford providing the stats for a single boxen, I can't see another way to do it.

I have no clue what you are talking about when you mention multiple boxen. I just have one really big boxen with like an 11.5 Ghz CPU in it. :p I just run several clients so people don't know I have this megaprocessor. :eek:

Ah yes... that reminds me, in this case, dual CPU/dual Core is out since there is no way of them reporting as a single box... anyhow, that'd just be unfair. ;)

i'm in; when will it start? i'm in the process of OCing my A64 3200+ and i'm currently at 2.21GHz (from 2.00GHz), my theoretical max (as limited by ram) is 226, so thats' at least ~1wk more of testing before i'd like to start this puppy folding...

Hey...thanks for telling me you were making a thread ;)

Since I can't be in on the action, im simply going to say good luck to the rest of you. And, without trying to be to revealing, i'll have some sweet goodies in store for the winner :D

so can I be in this contest???????? Seems I always get left out of these :(

I here by reserve the name: Wipingthefloorwithmoose

Gonna have to retire Kickingoldbenwa-s-butt since I had too many typing issues with that one.

marty9876 said:

Gonna have to retire Kickingoldbenwa-s-butt since I had too many typing issues with that one.

Yep, afterall, one on one boxen combat. :D

sign me up, just hope I remeber to leave my machine on all day :)

marty9876 said:

Bring it, fat lady.

p[H]ant0m said:
Ah yes... that reminds me, in this case, dual CPU/dual Core is out since there is no way of them reporting as a single box... anyhow, that'd just be unfair. ;)

Son of a........ :(

p[H]ant0m']The big thing is this is the only way I know of to get single box stats. So many of us have multiple boxen, our current usernames would be unable to be used. Now if you've got a single boxen, you can enter as your current F@H name, but short of Stanford providing the stats for a single boxen, I can't see another way to do it.'

I got a P4 2.4 (Dell Optiplex GX270) with a gig of memory ready to borg...Should I put a different username for the contest or wait until this starts before I rename everything??

The tenative plan at this juncture is for the "season" to start around November 13th, with a week's preseason before that so people can get usernames, stats, etc squared away. If you don't have easy access and this is the one you want to use, set it now. If you've got a way to change it before hand, I'd wait.

p[H]ant0m said:
The tenative plan at this juncture is for the "season" to start around November 13th, with a week's preseason before that so people can get usernames, stats, etc squared away. If you don't have easy access and this is the one you want to use, set it now. If you've got a way to change it before hand, I'd wait.

Thanks...It's one of the "work machines" that I have as a backup for my users... easy access. Plus I guess I have to set it for just 1 processor :rolleyes:

And using the 5.04Beta...Grabbed a Gromac right off the bat.

Bump for the weekend crowd, any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are still welcome!

Later this week, another post will be made with details on contest structure, signups, and any other information!

I'm going to need some teachine on how all this works. I don't watch football and I've never played fantasy football. So make sure any and all directions and explanations are really easy to understand.

I'll definately play, and I'm completely fine with changing one of my boxen over to a diff. name.

-MN Scout

MN Scout said:
I'm going to need some teachine on how all this works. I don't watch football and I've never played fantasy football. So make sure any and all directions and explanations are really easy to understand.

It's pretty easy, we've taken the stats that we can get from www.hardfolding.com done some mathematical manipulation to them, and then its just a simple comparison. Each stat is weighted, as there are some stats that are more important than others. The scoring system is pretty straight forward and should be released later this week. I've been working on the finished touches to the contest details document, and right now it's coming in at about 3 pages... now to try and squeeze that into one post! :eek:

question! You say Dual Processor machines are outlawed, whatabout Dual Core machines, or HT machines?

or, Dual Core HT machines?

p[H]ant0m said:

To quote myself from earlier... this is about single core speed. You can use a dually box, or dual core, or HT, but only the points from a single instance are going to count.

p[H]ant0m said:
To quote myself from earlier... this is about single core speed. You can use a dually box, or dual core, or HT, but only the points from a single instance are going to count.

sorry, i fail at reading.
and am still confused, so one p4 with HT will count as one machine even if it has 2 installs of FAH, so long as it is a single core machine?

or just one install per machine?

Now if I had a 4ghz FX57... imagine the points :D Atleast I think this contest can't be won with just sheer points, but just think about the speed on one of those.

-MN Scout

For this contest it sounds like you'll need to create a new name and only assign one folding@home client to it.

-MN Scout

Carnival Forces said:
sorry, i fail at reading.
and am still confused, so one p4 with HT will count as one machine even if it has 2 installs of FAH, so long as it is a single core machine?

or just one install per machine?

K, I guess to clear up the confusion, it's not single core, it's single instance. Yes HT has dual instance possibility on a single core, but that reports as 2 CPU counts which isn't allowed.

MN Scout said:
Now if I had a 4ghz FX57... imagine the points :D Atleast I think this contest can't be won with just sheer points, but just think about the speed on one of those.]

That's the entire point of the contest... it doesn't come down to points, there's a litte luck thrown in there, and by sticking to a divisonal system and then a playoff system, the best box might not win, but might have a good week when someone else has a down one.

We're trying to introduce an element of surprise into the contest where it just isn't about the amount of points which every other contest/gauntlet seems to be about. It's just a new spin on an old idea. :D

How are going to control folks dumping low PPD WU's?

I'm guessing via the rounds this might make overall PPD moot by your implications.

marty9876 said:
How are going to control folks dumping low PPD WU's?

I'm guessing via the rounds this might make overall PPD moot by your implications.

Well as will be revealed later this week, PPD is just one of the categories... if you're dumping WU's, that's time that you won't be folding. And we're drawing from a variety of categories. We've made an effort to make this so points aren't the only variable, so it really doesn't benefit you to try and optimize for any single category, that's part of our weighting system.

Meh, I'll probably do this, but I'm gonna need some more details, particularly when it starts so I don't start taking points away from my main name too early.

CellBlock said:
Meh, I'll probably do this, but I'm gonna need some more details, particularly when it starts so I don't start taking points away from my main name too early.

When we go public, you will have pleanty of time to look over the rules and get your boxen set up. We are still working on the details, but rest assured when we have a final set of rules, you will know them ;)

How will the P4's getting QMDs be weighed against the AMDs that shouldn't be getting QMDs yet?

ICE_9 said:
How will the P4's getting QMDs be weighed against the AMDs that shouldn't be getting QMDs yet?

The QMD and AMD problem was resolved. They won't be getting them anymore.

-MN Scout

I mean that QMDs get bonus points because they use so much memory. AMD is not elidigible for them so that means the Intel folks can just ask for QMDs and have an advantage over those AMD processors.

ICE_9 said:

The point issue has been resolved, in the test runs we've gone with, a week of QMD's isn't the winner. Just keep in mind there are more variables than just points.

ICE_9 said:
I mean that QMDs get bonus points because they use so much memory. AMD is not elidigible for them so that means the Intel folks can just ask for QMDs and have an advantage over those AMD processors.
This had been taken into consideration....when you see the points graph come out....you will see how.
:)

AtomicMoose said:
This had been taken into consideration....when you see the points graph come out....you will see how.
:)
Ok. I will take my chill pill now. :eek:

K, to clear up a few lingering issues. Viper has contacted Vijay at Stanford to see if there was any possible way of tracking the stats for a single boxen and it appears this is not possible. We have, however, come up with a system of keeping stats, along with not increasing the number of dead usernames. All of this information will be released later this week. :cool:

sweet! :D
When is the big "release of info" going to be? ;)

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Back