The Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo is Brilliant

I agree FF7 dumbed some things down, but the materia system was fun (and broken). Really liked the side quest activities, optional bosses, and huge amount of weapons that were widely different.

That little ending part of the demo was extremely concerning. Looked like they were advertising "hey, another 4 hours of the same gland enemies, yay!"

That little ending part of the demo was extremely concerning. Looked like they were advertising "hey, another 4 hours of the same gland enemies, yay!"
You haven't played it before I assume. First two missions are to blow up reactors. There are some different enemies and bosses. Afterwards it changes it up.

I won't bring up direct spoilers, but there has been videos posted of a bunch of chapter 2 stuff and they do throw in some new enemies. I imagine there will be a lot of different ones as time goes on as well. There wasn't a ton of verity in the original game until mid-way through the Midgar section either. It kind of makes sense why you mostly see different versions of grunts for the first portion since there's no logical reason for giant monsters to be randomly roaming busy streets of a city, even one like Midgar.

I won't bring up direct spoilers, but there has been videos posted of a bunch of chapter 2 stuff and they do throw in some new enemies. I imagine there will be a lot of different ones as time goes on as well. There wasn't a ton of verity in the original game until mid-way through the Midgar section either. It kind of makes sense why you mostly see different versions of grunts for the first portion since there's no logical reason for giant monsters to be randomly roaming busy streets of a city, even one like Midgar.

Basied on interviews i assumed that. They said they added hours of additional content. I mean, even after griping about the episodic nature for years, i'm gonna buy it anyway.

I would be extremely disappointed if it didn't.
tumblr_ns6534ZZtN1tp0caxo1_r1_500.png

do we know if it's DX12 or Vulkan yet?
The PC version is still a year out, so we won't know for a while. PS4 uses a proprietary API and Xbox One uses a unique version of DirectX. FFXV had Vulkan support planned on the PC, but it was scrapped when the game's director departed end of 2018. FFVII Remake is built on UE4, which supports both DirectX and Vulkan.

The PC version is still a year out, so we won't know for a while. PS4 uses a proprietary API and Xbox One uses a unique version of DirectX. FFXV had Vulkan support planned on the PC, but it was scrapped when the game's director departed end of 2018. FFVII Remake is built on UE4, which supports both DirectX and Vulkan.

And then they went full Gameworks, with shit results and terrible performance penalties. Nothing like a 1080p game with low res textures chewing up 8GB of vram

And then they went full Gameworks, with shit results and terrible performance penalties. Nothing like a 1080p game with low res textures chewing up 8GB of vram
Don't know what this has to do with what I posted, but okay.
  • Gameworks features are optional and can be turned off or on.
  • A good game is going to use all VRAM to cache things and minimize performance hitches, which is especially important in an open world game like XV.

Don't know what this has to do with what I posted, but okay.
  • Gameworks features are optional and can be turned off or on.
  • A good game is going to use all VRAM to cache things and minimize performance hitches, which is especially important in an open world game like XV.

Agreed. Except the game runs like shit.

Kind of my ranty post with nothing to add..

I really try to be open to new things and roll with the changes (REO Speedwagon, heh).. but I really do just prefer old school, high difficulty, turned based games with lots of text and random encounters rather than overworld enemies and constant millennial (no offense ;) ) showboat comments being yelled repeatedly every single fight.

I don't really like the hack and slash style even though I was a huge fan of games like Diablo 2.. I also reallllly can't stand the constant voices during fights, like Erik shouting too easy! Every single fight in Dragon Quest XI.. A "STFU" or non flamboyant option would be very nice :p.. or maybe they would call it Boomer mode, I'd be fine with that.

I think Dragon Quest VIII original ps2 release was the magnum opus and swan song of turn based RPGs with incredible graphics.. I highly recommend trying that in pcsx2 at 4k. Would love a remake but I know they'll take away random encounters like the much newer DS version and XI which makes me sad considering the lineage of that series.

Stull gonna give the new FFVII a shot and see how they flesh out the story, but have to be honest when I say I expect it too be too cringey on the voice acting and potentially boring on the fetch quests.

Kind of my ranty post with nothing to add..

I really try to be open to new things and roll with the changes (REO Speedwagon, heh).. but I really do just prefer old school, high difficulty, turned based games with lots of text and random encounters rather than overworld enemies and constant millennial (no offense ;) ) showboat comments being yelled repeatedly every single fight.

I don't really like the hack and slash style even though I was a huge fan of games like Diablo 2.. I also reallllly can't stand the constant voices during fights, like Erik shouting too easy! Every single fight in Dragon Quest XI.. A "STFU" or non flamboyant option would be very nice :p.. or maybe they would call it Boomer mode, I'd be fine with that.

I think Dragon Quest VIII original ps2 release was the magnum opus and swan song of turn based RPGs with incredible graphics.. I highly recommend trying that in pcsx2 at 4k. Would love a remake but I know they'll take away random encounters like the much newer DS version and XI which makes me sad considering the lineage of that series.

Stull gonna give the new FFVII a shot and see how they flesh out the story, but have to be honest when I say I expect it too be too cringey on the voice acting and potentially boring on the fetch quests.
I understand where you coming from but that just doesn't sell nowadays. I use to love old jrpgs but nowadays I can't stand the formula.

I understand where you coming from but that just doesn't sell nowadays. I use to love old jrpgs but nowadays I can't stand the formula.

Indeed. I wish the new style would grab me but for some reason I just can't get into it as much.

I'll still play through the whole thing to see if I warm up to it.. Maybe it'll be pulled off in a way that finally clicks with me

Back