The Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo is Brilliant

Wait, multiple part game and you have to pay for each!? F-in pass. Played the original and loved it, play Xenogear and loved it, played part of FF8 and got RPG burnout.

what about Dragon Warrior 4 or 7

They fixed Dragon Warrior 4 with the DS port (you have full control over all party members). The addition of the wagon is nice for boss battles, once they fixed the command system.

I can't comment on 7, never played it.

I've played the Final Fantasy 15 demo on Windows, and I find the combat/exploration incredibly annoying. I feel like I'm going to be hitting the same exact direction keys every battle, then watching the group perform the exact same Massive Coordinated Attack (tm) on weak-ass enemies.

It's just a replacement for the overly-complex summon animations from earlier FF games, but now it's "real-time" :rolleyes:

I expect the FF7 remake to have the exact same style combat as FF15. So, the answer is no, not buying!

I've enjoyed Dragon Quest 11 a lot more than I was expecting to (although the fully-healing you every time you get a level is a bit too easy)

10 has it's share of problems, nearly being a straight line from beginning to end being one of them, but I still love the game.

Yeah, 10 wasn't just a "straight-line" figuratively, it was also mechanically.

The camera angle in every dungeon is fixed, and there is no real-time lighting. It's like playing FF7, but with real-time rendered 3d walkways instead of walking over a picture.

Big difference :rolleyes:

The fixed camera + no lighting also makes if fucking impossible to figure out where to go on darker maps - like the Underwater Salvage shit. I gave up on my replay recently after hitting that "can't see shit" wall. I think when I first played it through, I had help from a friend who had finished it earlier. Good characters, but shitty engine.

Last edited:
Wait, multiple part game and you have to pay for each!? F-in pass. Played the original and loved it, play Xenogear and loved it, played part of FF8 and got RPG burnout.
Finally people are starting to realize what kind of bull shit this is. I been bitching about it since the the details were released and people just ok Boomer me.

Any info on a PC release date? Not buying an old console to play it and not too keen on the whole part thing either. Happy to wait..

Any info on a PC release date? Not buying an old console to play it and not too keen on the whole part thing either. Happy to wait..

It's exclusive to the PS4 for exactly one year from launch. The assumption is that there will be a PC version released right after that, especially since the game case itself advertises how long their exclusivity contract is.

Finally people are starting to realize what kind of bull shit this is. I been bitching about it since the the details were released and people just ok Boomer me.

No, people are annoyed with you posting the same thing over and over and over again in one thread and just thread crapping instead of adding anything to the discussion.

Did you get pissed off at Mass Effect seeing at it was a single story split across three separate games?

You need to stop looking at this like it's a graphical rework and realize that it's a complete re-imagining and expansion of the original game.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it, and the original is still available on steam, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Did you get pissed off at Mass Effect seeing at it was a single story split across three separate games?

You need to stop looking at this like it's a graphical rework and realize that it's a complete re-imagining and expansion of the original game.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it, and the original is still available on steam, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Damn right I would bitch if it was originally one big game remade into 3 separate $60 games. It's not the same thing. My issue is they are trying to take advantage of my and everyone else nostalgia. It needs to be called out. People bitch and get into uproar over lesser screw jobs then this. I am done. You all can have your little circle jerk over this game.

Damn right I would bitch if it was originally one big game remade into 3 separate $60 games. It's not the same thing. My issue is they are trying to take advantage of my and everyone else nostalgia. It needs to be called out. People bitch and get into uproar over lesser screw jobs then this. I am done. You all can have your little circle jerk over this game.

A company owns a valuable IP and is maximizing profit from it OMG!!!!!! Alert the media!!!!

You would do the same thing to.

Oh God man cry me a river, a company trying to take advantage of nostalgia. Nintendo released a new retro console every year and nobody bats an eye, but SE spends 5 years of development time and millions upon millions of dollars remaking a massive game that COULD have been so much more if the tech had existed and people start whining about the death of their childhood.

It's not as if they are slapping a fresh coat of paint on the 1997 version, cutting it into 3 pieces and then selling it at $60 a pop. Each of these remade 'parts' needs as much development time and resources as a brand new AAA game so I have no idea where the complaints are coming from.

This is as bad as the people that whined that the RE2 remake was full priced because it was a 'remake'.

I remember playing the original FFVII demo on PS1 (I think it came with that Squaresoft fighting game Tobal No. 1?). They had the Leviathan summon in the demo and it blew my mind with how amazing it looked. The FF games were mostly different though, so I never felt like FFVII was some sort of step backward since it was so interesting. The character models were horrendous but the scenery was breathtaking.

Final Fantasy III (#3 in NA, #6 in Japan) is still my favorite RPG of all time though, followed closely by Chrono Trigger.

This being split into parts isn't really much different than SC2 getting split into parts for its campaign. Basically all it comes down to is whether or not they really have 30 hours worth of content per game or not. If they do, it's reasonable. If they don't, then it's definitely questionable. Still, considering the amount of production that went into this game, the value proposition is mostly fine. If after buying 1/4 of the game people find out it's not there, then obviously Square will have shot themselves in the foot, as they won't bother to buy 2-4. So, on the consumer side it's pretty safe unless you're a sucker for nostalgia and can't help yourself with pulling the trigger.

As for that aspect, I'm not a huge fan of FF7, even though I did play it on original hardware as a kid. SNES was the king of Square RPGs. FF7 was novel for the time but it doesn't hold up compared to the SNES titles. This could be better. If they actually make Cloud a decent protagonist (he's basically the unwilling protagonist trope mixed with the amnesiac) and make Sephiroth not a whiny baby that would be a great improvement. Let alone the other characters which were mostly 1 dimensional. The most intriguing character was probably Red XIII, but even he didn't have a story that was particularly deep.
Credit where it's due. This game visually looks great. If you liked Midgar before, you'll likely love it now. And Cloud looks like he did in the animated movie, so people will see that as a big plus.
The combat doesn't make much sense to me. It feels like either just go full ARPG or full turn based. It's comical watching Barret just walk up to the first boss' legs and just shoot or attack whenever he feels like it, when in reality that situation would likely get you instantly killed (I mean it is a robot 10x your size). So visually the battle system looks like a mess with its fight mechanics. If the active roll is supposed to be a part of game play, great, then positioning of characters should matter a lot more too. Perhaps that's more fleshed out than what was shown, but this playing the middle doesn't make sense at least visually.
Anyway, those are my random thoughts.

If you’re an FF7 fan, seems like a day one buy. I’m sure it’ll scratch the nostalgia itch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aix.
like this
This being split into parts isn't really much different than SC2 getting split into parts for its campaign. Basically all it comes down to is whether or not they really have 30 hours worth of content per game or not. If they do, it's reasonable. If they don't, then it's definitely questionable. Still, considering the amount of production that went into this game, the value proposition is mostly fine. If after buying 1/4 of the game people find out it's not there, then obviously Square will have shot themselves in the foot, as they won't bother to buy 2-4. So, on the consumer side it's pretty safe unless you're a sucker for nostalgia and can't help yourself with pulling the trigger.

As for that aspect, I'm not a huge fan of FF7, even though I did play it on original hardware as a kid. SNES was the king of Square RPGs. FF7 was novel for the time but it doesn't hold up compared to the SNES titles. This could be better. If they actually make Cloud a decent protagonist (he's basically the unwilling protagonist trope mixed with the amnesiac) and make Sephiroth not a whiny baby that would be a great improvement. Let alone the other characters which were mostly 1 dimensional. The most intriguing character was probably Red XIII, but even he didn't have a story that was particularly deep.
Credit where it's due. This game visually looks great. If you liked Midgar before, you'll likely love it now. And Cloud looks like he did in the animated movie, so people will see that as a big plus.
The combat doesn't make much sense to me. It feels like either just go full ARPG or full turn based. It's comical watching Barret just walk up to the first boss' legs and just shoot or attack whenever he feels like it, when in reality that situation would likely get you instantly killed (I mean it is a robot 10x your size). So visually the battle system looks like a mess with its fight mechanics. If the active roll is supposed to be a part of game play, great, then positioning of characters should matter a lot more too. Perhaps that's more fleshed out than what was shown, but this playing the middle doesn't make sense at least visually.
Anyway, those are my random thoughts.

If you’re an FF7 fan, seems like a day one buy. I’m sure it’ll scratch the nostalgia itch.

Lol

I hate preorder packages that give you exclusive content. I can't believe there is a $300+ preorder bundle.
It's understandable for what you get. That model is 17" long and 11" tall, and Play Arts makes quality stuff.
1583334560179.png

Hopefully, part 2 is out next year or 2022. They’ll be using the same engine and a lot of work is already done. So unless they’re planning to completely overhaul the gameplay for each part they’ll just need to create the world assets, write the script, record, etc. It shouldn’t take anywhere near as long as part 1.

It's square. 2030 at the earliest.

Not really. That and like all the other collector items probably only cost them $20 total to make.
Of course they going to sell out. People obviously buy this crap up otherwise they wouldn't be making these. Scalpers probably bought the majority of them.

Care to back that up with actual proof?
No but some plastic isn't going to cost much to produce this stuff. Nor the machines and labor to to stamp it out in China.

No but some plastic isn't going to cost much to produce this stuff. Nor the machines and labor to to stamp it out in China.

Plastic cost can vary wildly based on the quality of it. Play Arts Kai stuff tends to use high quality plastic so it's not like it's the same as what you find in mass commodity toys. There looks to be quite a bit of plastic used too. Also, things that are produced in smaller quantities cost A LOT more than mass produced items. And molds are not going to be cheap to produce, especially considering the sheer amount of detail in these figures. I'm also pretty sure they're all hand painted, which will cost more than simple machine painting you see done on cheap, mass produced, figures.

Plastic cost can vary wildly based on the quality of it. Play Arts Kai stuff tends to use high quality plastic so it's not like it's the same as what you find in mass commodity toys. There looks to be quite a bit of plastic used too. Also, things that are produced in smaller quantities cost A LOT more than mass produced items. And molds are not going to be cheap to produce, especially considering the sheer amount of detail in these figures. I'm also pretty sure they're all hand painted, which will cost more than simple machine painting you see done on cheap, mass produced, figures.
Yea I just don't care and see any value in it. If you into then so you.

Last edited:
I'm taking a wait and see approach as far as purchasing. If it really is 50 hours or whatever without 47 hours of fetch quests, I might consider purchasing each part. Maybe. Otherwise, I see no reason to not just wait for the whole thing to be released before purchasing.

FF7 is the best in the series, and one of the best crpgs of all time. Thats right I said crpg. I am not going to lie, I am more excited for this than I have been in a long time. More excited than I am for BG3(I hated DOS.) Someone said they cant see 50 hours, I put way more than that in the original just getting all of the summons. I will NOT allow myself to be cynical as are many of you:p By the way 8 is the second best game in the series(one of the most addictive mini games in video game history, the cards!) with 10 coming in 3rd. I have spoken.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
FF7 is the best in the series, and one of the best crpgs of all time. Thats right I said crpg. I am not going to lie, I am more excited for this than I have been in a long time. More excited than I am for BG3(I hated DOS.) Someone said they cant see 50 hours, I put way more than that in the original just getting all of the summons. I will NOT allow myself to be cynical as are many of you:p By the way 8 is the second best game in the series(one of the most addictive mini games in video game history, the cards!) with 10 coming in 3rd. I have spoken.
CRPG? I certainly compare FF7 to games like Baldur's Gate and Wasteland all the time 🙃

CRPG? I certainly compare FF7 to games like Baldur's Gate and Wasteland all the time 🙃

Maybe he means Console Role Playing Game.

Or you just put it to whatever platform you like.

Half-life was my favorite playstation 2 fps game :p

youre wrong ;) US #3 was the best closely followed by 7, imo, and its a jrpg.

Computer RPG. I only ever played it on pc.
Ah, yea it was launched on playstation and then ported to the pc. It was actually what convinced me to finally buy that console. The pc port played so terribly though.

Im going to buy a PS4 just to play it and then sell it.

Might as well pick up some of the other exclusives for $5-$20 too then. They've beat the shit out of most of the cross-platform games I've played in the last several years. I have a high-end gaming PC as well and all other consoles; so I like games, not just hardware, esp. single-player story-oriented games, which pretty much all PS4 exclusives are.

Hopefully at least someone will try to modify the game to make more classic FF7 feel turn-based for PC. Would love to see that too. I would personally be interested in rebalancing it at least to play more like old school rpgs so it's not so much hack-n-slash'ish in nature.

The "Classic" mode they added is clearly an afterthought as it compares to the "easy" mode and probably 95% of the old school turn based fans would have prefered a higher difficulty balanced mode but ofc that would have added extra develop time. At least I hope someone will attempt to "fix" the classic mode so it works more similar to the original, doesn't have to be exactly like it but there's a lot of room for improvement no doubt and I think there should be enough interest in it, I'd gladly work on it myself too if there's "tools" to make it happen.

Hopefully at least someone will try to modify the game to make more classic FF7 feel turn-based for PC. Would love to see that too. I would personally be interested in rebalancing it at least to play more like old school rpgs so it's not so much hack-n-slash'ish in nature.

The "Classic" mode they added is clearly an afterthought as it compares to the "easy" mode and probably 95% of the old school turn based fans would have prefered a higher difficulty balanced mode but ofc that would have added extra develop time. At least I hope someone will attempt to "fix" the classic mode so it works more similar to the original, doesn't have to be exactly like it but there's a lot of room for improvement no doubt and I think there should be enough interest in it, I'd gladly work on it myself too if there's "tools" to make it happen.

Thankfully it's developed on UE4 so, hopefully, it will be easily moddable. Either with official support or by fans messing with stuff on their own.

Back