The Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo is Brilliant

erek

[H]F Junkie
apparently pretty baller demo?

"My thoughts and impressions of the Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo including some tech analysis. *I do not discuss the Data Mining findings, only the Demo Gameplay, but there may be potential spoilers. If you prefer to not know, please don't watch* All footage was captured on my PS4 with Startech Capture Device direct feed at 1080p "

Eh, from a game standpoint I felt FF7 took a step backward, yeah it was "3d" (really ugly shit though), and sure the story was pretty decent, but the reduction to three characters (due to memory limitations at the time IIRC), and a very dumbed-down equipment system (weapon plus a "bracelet") was really a culture shock to me who was used to these types of games being 4 characters in battle, armor, weapon, helmet, shield type of equipment. But overall I'll wait until it comes out, nostalgia isn't going to give me a nerdgasm over this game.

Eh, from a game standpoint I felt FF7 took a step backward, yeah it was "3d" (really ugly shit though), and sure the story was pretty decent, but the reduction to three characters (due to memory limitations at the time IIRC), and a very dumbed-down equipment system (weapon plus a "bracelet") was really a culture shock to me who was used to these types of games being 4 characters in battle, armor, weapon, helmet, shield type of equipment. But overall I'll wait until it comes out, nostalgia isn't going to give me a nerdgasm over this game.

what about Dragon Warrior 4 or 7

All valid assessments though i would counter that it's materia system made up for the lack of item slots.

Demo is decent and may help push you over whatever side of the fence you were leaning, but likely won't totally win/lose you if you've kept a cursory eye on the game's press. Combat seems like a evolution of 15s for the better.

Only true gripe is the VO, personally I'd prefer a "subtitles only" option.

Wow, it actually got me looking at PS4 prices. Then I see it's got a really good chance at landing on PC in 2021... Oh the wait has now begun

Wow, it actually got me looking at PS4 prices. Then I see it's got a really good chance at landing on PC in 2021... Oh the wait has now begun

Im going to buy a PS4 just to play it and then sell it.

I’m hoping for a FF7 Crisis Core rerelease to come out. All my PSP batteries are dead and I wouldn’t mind playing it again in 4K (bad textures and all).

apparently pretty baller demo?

"My thoughts and impressions of the Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo including some tech analysis. *I do not discuss the Data Mining findings, only the Demo Gameplay, but there may be potential spoilers. If you prefer to not know, please don't watch* All footage was captured on my PS4 with Startech Capture Device direct feed at 1080p "

been working on it for 10 years... yea it better be awesome.

can't wait for part 2 in 2030.

All valid assessments though i would counter that it's materia system made up for the lack of item slots.

Demo is decent and may help push you over whatever side of the fence you were leaning, but likely won't totally win/lose you if you've kept a cursory eye on the game's press. Combat seems like a evolution of 15s for the better.

Only true gripe is the VO, personally I'd prefer a "subtitles only" option.

Yeah, the materia system was a lot more complex than people realized. There was a ton that could be done with it to really customize your characters and how they acted in battle.

I like, most, of the English voices but I’d imagine there will be a Japanese voice option for people that don’t.

been working on it for 10 years... yea it better be awesome.

can't wait for part 2 in 2030.

Hopefully, part 2 is out next year or 2022. They’ll be using the same engine and a lot of work is already done. So unless they’re planning to completely overhaul the gameplay for each part they’ll just need to create the world assets, write the script, record, etc. It shouldn’t take anywhere near as long as part 1.

Yeah, the materia system was a lot more complex than people realized. There was a ton that could be done with it to really customize your characters and how they acted in battle.

I like, most, of the English voices but I’d imagine there will be a Japanese voice option for people that don’t.

Hopefully, part 2 is out next year or 2022. They’ll be using the same engine and a lot of work is already done. So unless they’re planning to completely overhaul the gameplay for each part they’ll just need to create the world assets, write the script, record, etc. It shouldn’t take anywhere near as long as part 1.

True, and I'll still likely use the english VOs, but I'd prefer a "No VO at all option."

Sat down last night and beat the demo, I was thoroughly impressed by most of it. Graphics weren't exactly what I had hoped for but they weren't god awful either, I really enjoyed this new combat system but love the fact they left the old one in there as well if you wanted. Demo was a great length and ended exactly where I wanted/expected it to, did a great job of showing the combat system and controls.

Overall I will definitely be picking this up.

They not going to milk the nostalgia from me. I enjoyed the demo buy will not buy this game in pieces at $60 each. I'll buy it complete for PS5 when it is in the bargain bin. Hell I will buy it used at GS so SE wouldn't get money from me.

Last edited:
I'll be dusting off the ps4 to check out the demo, but will wait for PC if I do purchase.

As for the original, it was one of my all time favorites. Yeah, gameplay wasnt as deep as ff 6, but the story (at the time) was great.

wait, it's $60 for 25% of the game, $240 for the entire thing? What did the do, extend the length of the already overly-long-winded original?

Did you play the demo?

wait, it's $60 for 25% of the game, $240 for the entire thing? What did the do, extend the length of the already overly-long-winded original?

What? I thought you pay $60 and you get the full game but you get it as it releases... kind of like what Hitman 2 did.

It was confirmed as a 1-year exclusive, but whether that means it's coming to PC or just coming to Xbox is not yet known. Every Final Fantasy has been coming to PC for a good while, now, so I'd actually be surprised if it didn't come to PC after the exclusivity period is up.
I never had the impression that the original was "overly-long-winded." Every part of the game felt meaningful to me. But, yes, the first part is going to be as long as a "normal" FF game according to developers, which I take to mean 30-50 hours.
What? I thought you pay $60 and you get the full game but you get it as it releases... kind of like what Hitman 2 did.
Nope, each part is a separate purchase.

I agree FFVII felt like a downgrade in many ways. Great music and backgrounds though.
used to these types of games being 4 characters in battle
FFIV and Suikoden I & II had more characters in battle. I loved the extra bit of strategy that offered

Am I just bitter for taking the stance that I want to wait until the whole package is released? Last I heard it was still being split into episodes, is that correct? I really don't want to play half a game now and the rest next year. But I am really excited for this, just not in the method of its release.

Nope, each part is a separate purchase.

Holy shit. So Square is milking the shit out of this remake in order to make the most amount of money as possible knowing full-well that this game is the most requested and hyped remake in gaming history thus-far. Really really really shitty of them. Makes the decision for me to wait for the full game to be released in one package to get this.

if this had a turned based option for combat I would buy a PS4 just to play it.

Holy shit. So Square is milking the shit out of this remake in order to make the most amount of money as possible knowing full-well that this game is the most requested and hyped remake in gaming history thus-far. Really really really shitty of them. Makes the decision for me to wait for the full game to be released in one package to get this.

Basically each part/episode/whatever is going to be the length of a "full game" (their words). So they're massively expanding the story. With how much of an utter mess 7's story was I do think expanding it (especially expanding character stuff) isn't a bad idea, as long as it's done well. However, SE's messaging on this has been really poor. They'll talk about it being parts in interviews and on the E3 stage, but the game is just called Final Fantasy 7 Remake not really revealing that it's just Midgar unless people are willing too dig into the marketing.

I agree FFVII felt like a downgrade in many ways. Great music and backgrounds though.
FFIV and Suikoden I & II had more characters in battle. I loved the extra bit of strategy that offered
Never played the Suikoden series, but FFIV had 4 in battle, granted you could swap out with the wagon (if available, i.e. not in a dungeon) so you had access to quite a bit more. But there was also an aspect of the game that "the wizard" was a "wizard", "the soldier" was a warrior, those defined archetypes of characters that didn't really change, with 3 characters you almost have to have jack of all trades type of characters, which was definitely seen in FF7, if you exclude Aerith (who's dead before disc 1 ends) they all were "warriors" of varying degrees and "wizards" as well.

FFIV:

snes08.png

maybe you're thinking of dragon warrior or somethin... those games have a wagon, FF never did iirc

So they're massively expanding the story.
Are they? The part in Midgar was crazy linear (and people complain about FF13) I expect a lot of side quests as filler. Hope I'm wrong, or it's fun filler, it was a cool setting...

Are they? The part in Midgar was crazy linear (and people complain about FF13) I expect a lot of side quests as filler. Hope I'm wrong, or it's fun filler, it was a cool setting...

That is what they're claiming. I imagine there will be a lot of filler, because JRPGs are often chock full of filler, but hopefully there take advantage of all the extra time to build up the characters and setting. Midgar was always a space I wanted to explore more and learn more about.

Ikr? People are so accepting of the fact SE is bending them over. I call bull shit on their 50 hours of game play. I just played the original release and took me less then 3 hours to get through Midgar not rushing. They are going to fill it with So much bs fetch quest fluff I bet. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes less then 5 hours to go through the section of you skip the fluff. They probably also going to release special edition copies ranging from $100-300 again for each part too I bet.

Ikr? People are so accepting of the fact SE is bending them over. I call bull shit on their 50 hours of game play. I just played the original release and took me less then 3 hours to get through Midgar not rushing. They are going to fill it with So much bs fetch quest fluff I bet. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes less then 5 hours to go through the section of you skip the fluff. They probably also going to release special edition copies ranging from $100-300 again for each part too I bet.

this is was pisses me off about the whole thing. I wish they had just remade the game as it was (or close enough) just with the new graphics and what not. they could have toned down somethings maybe and made it flow easier and faster but guess I just don't like the sort of 3rd person action oriented battle style. After FF12, the games went to shit to me. 12 have that middle ground passive vs active battling which worked really well.

this is was pisses me off about the whole thing. I wish they had just remade the game as it was (or close enough) just with the new graphics and what not. they could have toned down somethings maybe and made it flow easier and faster but guess I just don't like the sort of 3rd person action oriented battle style. After FF12, the games went to shit to me. 12 have that middle ground passive vs active battling which worked really well.

Eh. A 1-to-1 remake might have been fine, but I don't really see the point. If you want the original FF7 but better get the PC release, apply a few graphical mods, and then throw on the New Threat mod. New Threat is better than anything SE would have done with a 1-to-1 remake.

You're looking at it the wrong way. It wasn't a dumbing down, it was that a lot of the complexity was offloaded to the materia system. Instead of just equipping the best helm/armor/relics/weapon/shield from FF6, you could customize each character in a very granular way by combining different pieces of materia.

The transition from 4 to 3 characters really didn't bother me that much, although I do wish there were more instances in the game where you could control multiple groups like in the Sephiroth battle.

X is my favorite, but 6 is definitely #2 for me.

I never played X and everyone tells me Im crazy. I got out of console gaming right after PS1/N64 era. Im probably buying a PS4 to play this remake.

I never played X and everyone tells me Im crazy. I got out of console gaming right after PS1/N64 era. Im probably buying a PS4 to play this remake.

X got ported to the PC a couple years ago. It's worth checking out, if you have the time.

Eh 10 is over rated. Everything people hated about 13 was started with 10. It was very linear. It is where SE started going down hill. For me anyway.

Reactions: Youn
like this
From my tastes the game so far looks a bit too much action-RPG oriented for my liking, the "classic mode" looks more like an afterthought added for old school RPG fans. It's especially how it is balanced damage-wise where Abilities/attacks have a lot of power and magic seems comparably doing not that much due to the staggering/combo system. I'd love to be able to "Rebalance" it into feeling more like the old FF7 in terms of gameplay & battle gameplay and make it also a bit more challenging when it comes to PC if it becomes easily moddable.

Back