The Fight over Star Citizen’s Production Delay Is Getting Dirty

The SC boosters don't want to hear it but the bottom line is Roberts picked a terrible engine to build a MMO space sim on. There is a good reason you don't see a ton of Cry engine MMOs. :) His priorities for an engine where either skewed in the completely wrong direction. Or he simply choose an engine that would get more people excited about throwing him free cash. I know people hear something like Unity or Hero engine and think crap... but starting with an engine that has the net code end of things nailed makes a hell of a lot more sense if your planning to build an online game. It would have been easier to spiffy up the looks then try and reinvent a pretty engine with shit / non existent net code.

Yeah chris did pick a terrible engine for his endeavor . the reason why he did it was because it was cheap if not free and let him demo his idea quickly and effectively. then the project skyrocketed and now here we are today , with a huge project of extremely high expectations all pending on whether him and his team can pull it off...

some just cant wait for an official failure so they choose to deride anything starcitizen, much to the chagrin of those of us who really hope for a good game.

I really hope they pull it off. it will be all worth the wait if it is a success, and even if its finished in a haphazard fashion it will still be a fun little piece of tech to play with . and hopefully eventually it will spawn the best damn space sim ever. regardless of whether chris or whoever transpires him creates it.

these steps are just the beginning for the next gen of pc gaming, i fully embrace the journey and look forward to bigger better projects . because im not looking back and accepting the drivel of yesteryear as pc gaming's top achievements. i want games with a vision like star citizen, thus why i play pc games because i demand more from my gaming experience and at this moment in time

star citizen is one of the titles that is pushing the envelope. like it or not .

Are you just wanting to cry about this, you do know those "donations" add up.
I bet CIG can afford any "type of tallent" they require.
Funds Raised $159,478,789

For sure... but 4-5 years ago when they started and needed that code complete ? If I am a guy working for say Ubisoft as a senior engine/net code guy making just under or over 200k a year. WHY in the fuck would I leave that to go work for a disgraced developer like roberts even for the same pay. A project that could implode at any time when the donations dry up. A possible 3-5 year black hole on my resume where the company I worked for shipped NOTHING. The kids with the chops to fill those types of jobs tend to be pretty analytical types... there is simply no way Roberts had an easy time recruiting that type of talent. Which is why I say his priorities in choosing an engine where way off. Its easier to dress up a average looking engine with pretty art and 3d programmers then it is to try and create working net code with staff that just isn't up to the challenge. I mean what is it that SC backers are bitching about the most with what they have been given so far.... let me guess its the net code isn't it. LMAO

I'm not gonna get into all the reasons why, but network engineers in the gaming field are unicorns, mostly its just software engineers that specialize out of necessity.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
That if your trying to attract the type of talent required to create proper net code from scratch... to a company funded by donations. Perhaps you would be one hell of a lot wiser to start with an engine that provides proper net code first. Games like Archage and mech warrior both had large STABLE bank rolls and no issues attracting the 150k+ type coders required to make that happen. If you are such a person who can work pretty much anywhere you want, why would you choose to go to the crowd funded company over a developer being published by a big name producing licenced IP type stuff.

If roberts was a game developer that ever concerned himself with the business end of things for even a second he would have realised he would be better off going the other way around and prioritising the basics over graphical flash when he was selecting an engine.

i hope your not referring to mech warrior online .... because if you are . s'plains a lot on your view of the gaming industry .

Yeah chris did pick a terrible engine for his endeavor . the reason why he did it was because it was cheap if not free and let him demo his idea quickly and effectively. then the project skyrocketed and now here we are today , with a huge project of extremely high expectations all pending on whether him and his team can pull it off...

He got his funding fast. That game was fully funded within a year. There is no excuse if his engine choice wasn't going to cut it. I think bottom line is he never intended to ship anything much more then a flashy demo anyway. Again folks wake up Freelancer was the EXACT same thing. He built a demo and that is it in like 5 years... sold the company off to Microsoft who where shocked when they realised the Freelancer they bought that was in development for 4 or 5 years wasn't even a good demo. They had to start almost from scratch and it took them 3 more years to ship that game. What is hillarious to me about the entire thing is anyone that has been in that industry at the higher levels all know that... its well known. Its why he couldn't get real backing for SC to start with. He is well known to be a guy who can't manage the business end of things. Even if we give him the benifit and just say hes a dreamer... it doesn't change the fact that he has no idea how to manage a project. That is the main issue. Game development is about managing. Roberts can't do that, he has proven it with everything he has ever done.... he has never ever ever turned anything in under budget.... and he has a history of not completing things. Even his most beloved games of old got pushed out the door by publishers and co-producers. Without a publisher or co-producer he has never turned out a single thing ever, SC isn't going to be the acception.

Give CR a break, how else would he of been able to afford a new mansion and limited edition Porsche if not for SC.

I dont know where you have been over the last several years , but pc gaming had pretty much stagnated to the point where we was getting nothing more than rehashed battlefield call of duty and wow clones over and over gain .

then crowd funding entered the scene and let the players choose what they wanted published . while you sit there and state that space sims were not dead, they were. no major publisher was putting any money into space sims. and only 4 or 5 space rts games were being made. so yeah space sims were dead.

with crowd funding more and more players started putting money into games they wanted to play, one of these genres was the space sim.

along came chris roberts (who you despise obviously) selling a vision for a epic space sim and guess what its pc only . this was done all around the time when the pc is dead mantra was being sung from the gaming press and online media.

so chris came out swinging with a vision of a proper pc game doing what pc games should be doing pushing the envelope .... Guess what? he hit a home run, the pc gamers loved him for it, and fully backed his vision, because the ideology behind star citizen is what pc gamers want in a modern pc game.

Yeah, you can sit there and type away on how ol chris roberts Victimized poor ol Microsoft into buying digital anvil ... but its not going to play on any sympathetic ears. Microsoft has done their share of damage through out the pc gaming industry shutting down studios, destroying visions, and disenfranchising gaming communities with their mislead and baffling vision for the industry.

You can further try and back it up on how movie investors was also taken in by him but thats not gonna fly as these entities were not some doe eyed tenderfoots , dont try and make the entertainment industry investors out as some unknowing victim these people are well aware of the risks involved in backing projects, they do so willingly and knowingly.

While chris roberts may be a dreamer its people like him that we need to push the envelope, to dream big, and create new IPs because there is very few in this industry, hell economy even, who are allowed to dream. Fewer yet empowered to even attempt to create their dreams.

You can stand your hate box and preach all you want because, I DONT CARE if star citizen does or does not ever get made. I believe in the dreamers and the content creators, i want new and original stuff that pushes the envelope and brings new experiences to me. I will back those who present them , for as far as i am concerned star citizen has already accomplished more than most published games of this time.

You can willfully ignore that statement all you want, but star citizen is more than just a game to some it is an idea that proves the industry wrong. while some are ok with call of duty 15, battleshmuck 8, and i wanna be a wow 2. and others would rather crucify people with dreams and place upon alters tyrants with their spread sheets and draconian pragmatics.

Star citizen has demonstrated there is a desire for more, and that there is money to be made for those, up to meeting that challenge. THIS is why star citizen is a success, because it proved the haters and the industry wrong . and this is why we keep getting all the hate pieces and needless over analyzing of robert's past to support erroneous accusations and to try and support terrible

arguments that some how Microsoft was a victim in a game studio purchase. because these people have to keep reaching further and further for items that they can pervert into lies in hopes that they can crash and destroy more peoples dreams.

Thats what this all boils down to, is dreams.... because at its simplest form, this is nothing more than a kid playing in a sand box building his castle (star citizens backers) and the hate filled bully coming to kick it over. (star citizen haters) . it always surprises me how much hate there is in this world.
You're simply WRONG. Many of us are huge fans of his past work. I own every WC and Privateer. I came close to putting money into this, but I've long been against presales and this is a pre-developed.
Here we are years after he said he'd deliver and there's nothing but an Alpha (which is where we were last year and probably the year before that).

You know who else I liked back in the day? Richard Garriott(even have Ultima 1 in a plastic bag and the Sierra version of Ultima 2), but I wouldn't dream of putting my money into the game he's developing. When it's done, if it's good, I'll buy it. Same goes with SC. But until this game shows real progress, it's vapor ware, just like Duke Nukem Forever was over 2 or 3 decades (and as I recall was a poorly received game)

Sorry, but reality is reality and I fully expected I was going to by a released game at least 2 years ago and today I suspect I won't see a released product 3 years from now. I hope I"m wrong, but with each passing year, I think it's less likely this will happen.

This reminds me of John Popadiuk's new Pinball table (Magic Girl). It sounded amazing. People forked for thousands of dollars to preorder/fund the development. It's dead. It will never happen. Money was lost. I'm sure there are suits, but the reality is there is no money to be had. And yes, John was a highly respected table designer. That and a several thousand dollars got you a few emails.

not trolling just trying to keep it factual yet you all want to misconstrue, out right lie, and fabricate details.

and yes i have already stated i have backed this game and even if i didnt i would still be in here pointing out the fallacies that continue to be purported as fact ..
All I can say is I'm more inclined to trust the opinion of developers than a believer. And I don't really follow this game much other than when it hits the news on [H], but I know that it's now 2 or 3 years beyond it's release date. I know that last year they switched to an Amazon version of Cry Engine and said that it was easy peazy to convert their code to it, which rings false to virtually anyone who's written software, including me and I've never written something as complex as an MMO.

1 year later, the fan boys who bought what Roberts said last year are now saying that they've completely rewritten the engine and that's the delay, which is either false or it means Roberts lied last year.
Either way, there's no sign of a game and it's 2017. Will there be a game before Windows 7 support ends? All signs point to no.

How is it vaporware when people are playing builds of it?
Because it's at best alpha (and really it sounds like pre-alpha) 2-3 years after he promised it'd be released. And vaporware means it's not going to be released (or at least not within any reasonable time frame).

You're doing some interesting interpretation/twisting of what people have tried to explain to you.

The rewriting/customization of CryEngine is a completely separate issue from merging with Amazon's codebase. Portions were written before the merge and portions were certainly customized after the merge.
Roberts argued that the merge was a non-issue in terms of delay and you, along with others, refuse to believe that. That's your prerogative, but you're trying to conflate the two separate points into an explanation for any delays that have never been used by people who support the game's development.

Because it's at best alpha (and really it sounds like pre-alpha) 2-3 years after he promised it'd be released. And vaporware means it's not going to be released (or at least not within any reasonable time frame).
I've never heard vaporware used in that way. That's a pretty loose way to use it to try and bolster your point that you don't like the development speed of the game. People are playing portions of the game and from everyone I have spoken to enjoying it while doing so. Whether it's an alpha or not, there's a public build available for people who have funded its development to play with and offer opinions about which is a far cry from nothing ("vapor") existing.

You're doing some interesting interpretation/twisting of what people have tried to explain to you.

The rewriting/customization of CryEngine is a completely separate issue from merging with Amazon's codebase. Portions were written before the merge and portions were certainly customized after the merge.
Roberts argued that the merge was a non-issue in terms of delay and you, along with others, refuse to believe that. That's your prerogative, but you're trying to conflate the two separate points into an explanation for any delays that have never been used by people who support the game's development.
Is the game out? No. Is it 2013? No. Is it 2016? No. Is it 2017? why yes it is and yet there's no sign of a game. It's at best alpha. That's a bad sign. Sorry man, but you're probably not getting a game this decade and I wouldn't bet on a release 5 years from now (unless you're fronting the money).

If I'm wrong, and the reviews are decent, I'm buying, but the money I invested in the market (instead of this game) will have tripled or quadrupled by the time something comes out (assuming it's out within 5 years).

Wake me up when there's a beta.

I really don't think anyone is going to get a game not even in 2022. It doesn't have the funding. If they really have as many employees as they say they do then the burn rate is going to be around 4 mil a month minimum. Funding is falling and refunds are increasing. As soon as people realize that there is going to be a refund run and that's it. Some people are making the case that it has already begun.

I really don't think anyone is going to get a game not even in 2022. It doesn't have the funding. If they really have as many employees as they say they do then the burn rate is going to be around 4 mil a month minimum. Funding is falling and refunds are increasing. As soon as people realize that there is going to be a refund run and that's it. Some people are making the case that it has already begun.

Even if you are off by 50%, a monthly burn rate like that has to be close to eating up all the money they have taken in. Plus, most casual backers already either preordered the base game, or are waiting for it to hit retail, so new funds must be getting thin.

It certainly sounds like a train wreck in terms of project management, but if they ship out a good game, I'll buy it. But I won't pre-order it, I did that once and got burned with borderlands pre-sequel, won't do it again.

It certainly sounds like a train wreck in terms of project management, but if they ship out a good game, I'll buy it. But I won't pre-order it, I did that once and got burned with borderlands pre-sequel, won't do it again.

Honestly, me too. It an amazing idea. If I am proven wrong and on release, it's everything the game's backers say it will be, hell yes, I will play it.

I've never heard vaporware used in that way. That's a pretty loose way to use it to try and bolster your point that you don't like the development speed of the game. People are playing portions of the game and from everyone I have spoken to enjoying it while doing so. Whether it's an alpha or not, there's a public build available for people who have funded its development to play with and offer opinions about which is a far cry from nothing ("vapor") existing.
Vaporware is any hardware or software that is announced publicly but never released or cancelled... Just like SC. Having a demo doesn't help their case either, if you want to sell your vaporware you need the appearance of substance.

I dont know where you have been over the last several years , but pc gaming had pretty much stagnated to the point where we was getting nothing more than rehashed battlefield call of duty and wow clones over and over gain .

then crowd funding entered the scene and let the players choose what they wanted published . while you sit there and state that space sims were not dead, they were. no major publisher was putting any money into space sims. and only 4 or 5 space rts games were being made. so yeah space sims were dead.

with crowd funding more and more players started putting money into games they wanted to play, one of these genres was the space sim.

along came chris roberts (who you despise obviously) selling a vision for a epic space sim and guess what its pc only . this was done all around the time when the pc is dead mantra was being sung from the gaming press and online media.

so chris came out swinging with a vision of a proper pc game doing what pc games should be doing pushing the envelope .... Guess what? he hit a home run, the pc gamers loved him for it, and fully backed his vision, because the ideology behind star citizen is what pc gamers want in a modern pc game.

Yeah, you can sit there and type away on how ol chris roberts Victimized poor ol Microsoft into buying digital anvil ... but its not going to play on any sympathetic ears. Microsoft has done their share of damage through out the pc gaming industry shutting down studios, destroying visions, and disenfranchising gaming communities with their mislead and baffling vision for the industry.

You can further try and back it up on how movie investors was also taken in by him but thats not gonna fly as these entities were not some doe eyed tenderfoots , dont try and make the entertainment industry investors out as some unknowing victim these people are well aware of the risks involved in backing projects, they do so willingly and knowingly.

While chris roberts may be a dreamer its people like him that we need to push the envelope, to dream big, and create new IPs because there is very few in this industry, hell economy even, who are allowed to dream. Fewer yet empowered to even attempt to create their dreams.

You can stand your hate box and preach all you want because, I DONT CARE if star citizen does or does not ever get made. I believe in the dreamers and the content creators, i want new and original stuff that pushes the envelope and brings new experiences to me. I will back those who present them , for as far as i am concerned star citizen has already accomplished more than most published games of this time.

You can willfully ignore that statement all you want, but star citizen is more than just a game to some it is an idea that proves the industry wrong. while some are ok with call of duty 15, battleshmuck 8, and i wanna be a wow 2. and others would rather crucify people with dreams and place upon alters tyrants with their spread sheets and draconian pragmatics.

Star citizen has demonstrated there is a desire for more, and that there is money to be made for those, up to meeting that challenge. THIS is why star citizen is a success, because it proved the haters and the industry wrong . and this is why we keep getting all the hate pieces and needless over analyzing of robert's past to support erroneous accusations and to try and support terrible

arguments that some how Microsoft was a victim in a game studio purchase. because these people have to keep reaching further and further for items that they can pervert into lies in hopes that they can crash and destroy more peoples dreams.

Thats what this all boils down to, is dreams.... because at its simplest form, this is nothing more than a kid playing in a sand box building his castle (star citizens backers) and the hate filled bully coming to kick it over. (star citizen haters) . it always surprises me how much hate there is in this world.
P.T. Barnum

I bought an expensive ship back in 2014 and I could care less that it's not out yet. They have made constant progress and posted consistent updates. The progress they have made so far is amazing. This game is a big undertaking and I can see why it's taking awhile AND I knew going in to it. Also it's not like you're sitting here waiting for the game to come out. You can actually go play it right now, so I don't know why people are complaining.

Just wait till the company that make engine for them go bankrupt and they will change the engine again :) Adding another 10 years to the development

Just wait till the company that make engine for them go bankrupt and they will change the engine again :) Adding another 10 years to the development
Amazon's Lumberyard is going to fail anyday now, maybe even this afternoon, maybe it already has. :facepalm:

I bought an expensive ship back in 2014 and I could care less that it's not out yet. They have made constant progress and posted consistent updates. The progress they have made so far is amazing. This game is a big undertaking and I can see why it's taking awhile AND I knew going in to it. Also it's not like you're sitting here waiting for the game to come out. You can actually go play it right now, so I don't know why people are complaining.

They already reduced the planned number of star system for launch by 95%, so even people playing won’t be playing much:

Ultimately the post above doesn’t mean the technology is bad, or that the developers are bad. It shows that Chris Roberts is fucking clown at scheduling a project and setting expectations. Nothing sinks a software project faster than poor management.

Honestly, I think paying for an incomplete game to be fucking nuts... But if I look back on my previous history, I paid for wow for almost 7 years that had continuously new content out.

In the end, let people spend their disposable income however they like. I have a project car that takes money faster than my wife, so what's the difference?

One day your project car will probably be finished. The jury is still out on Star Citizen.

The progress they have made so far is amazing..
Yes, it's amazing how little progress they made towards an actual game. It's also amazing how much vaporware they sold in the meantime.

I guess it might be a good time to patent my idea of a retirement home specially for people waiting on SC to be finished.

there are gullible people, and .................................................................................................................there are the people still believing every word coming from cig.

I don't know, everyone is just throwing around relatively useless terms.

But from someone who has actually loaded up the alpha/beta/tech demo/whatever you want to call it, you can actually play the races and earn/spend currency to improve ships, earn/spend currency for loot and go out and FPS with other players and pirates, there is a module where you can dogfight with other players, there's a single player/co-op dogfight missions to earn/spend currency, and then there is the persistent universe where you can go out and FPS, dogfight, and attack/defend space stations, etc.

As for that infographic post, not sure what to make of it, I don't know all the star systems' names, but ArcCorp is in the game and has been for over a year so that is either wrong or outdated information. But again, I never see anyone who has actually played the game shitting on it only people sitting on the sidelines. I don't have much invested other than an AMD ship that cost me $15 bucks and gave me access to everything so maybe that's one reason I'm not so pissed off as the sideliners.

Guys, you really need to realize you got fucked and move on, learn your lesson. You got fucked by Chris Roberts on the promise of the most amazing game ever, I got fucked by a stripper who stole most of my money for pills.

It happens. Learn your lesson and move on. He doesn't really love you.

I would bet you $100 that over half the people that are bitching here about the game didn't back it, they just like to have something to bitch about. Also I think you mean you got fucked over by a stripper, not actually fucked by her.

I don't know, everyone is just throwing around relatively useless terms.

But from someone who has actually loaded up the alpha/beta/tech demo/whatever you want to call it, you can actually play the races and earn/spend currency to improve ships, earn/spend currency for loot and go out and FPS with other players and pirates, there is a module where you can dogfight with other players, there's a single player/co-op dogfight missions to earn/spend currency, and then there is the persistent universe where you can go out and FPS, dogfight, and attack/defend space stations, etc.

As for that infographic post, not sure what to make of it, I don't know all the star systems' names, but ArcCorp is in the game and has been for over a year so that is either wrong or outdated information. But again, I never see anyone who has actually played the game shitting on it only people sitting on the sidelines. I don't have much invested other than an AMD ship that cost me $15 bucks and gave me access to everything so maybe that's one reason I'm not so pissed off as the sideliners.

Sounds like more of a game that No Man Sky at launch ;)

Well I do understand what is going on with all the SC suckers though....
They couldn't handle EVE and would love to believe someone will give them an EVE lite. :)

Really when I hear about Roberts scaling back from 100 to 4 or 5 systems (like 100 was ever a lot) it makes me laugh a bit.
http://sov.space/

I mean I get that Eve is a PvP playground and people are scared of da pirate-trolls and all... really though there is more to do in the safe areas of EVE then there ever will be in SC. There is even safe non life time devotion required PvP in their faction PvP. Endless exploration with worm holes. Trading / Mining... Full time scamming (so you can roll play Roberts if you like) there are 100s of ways to play that game.

What I find funny is talking to SC people and some expect it to be some fantastic PvP game where we can roam in packs and troll gank some morons trying to trade their way to greatness. Then I talk to others that believe it will be a pirate free game and play like star trek with everyone holding hands. I talk to others still who believe they have bought some stupid expensive JPG ship that will protect them or let them ignore other players ect ect ect. My point is Roberts has sold this game as everything everyone could ever want.... games don't work that way. They just don't.

If you want an actual shipping space game that has gotten close to that there is only one real option and people have had it for years before roberts even popped back up after getting the Hollywoo boot.

It doesn't seem like you've played EVE or SC if you are going to compare them much beyond the fact that they both take place in space.

Honestly, I think paying for an incomplete game to be fucking nuts... But if I look back on my previous history, I paid for wow for almost 7 years that had continuously new content out.

In the end, let people spend their disposable income however they like. I have a project car that takes money faster than my wife, so what's the difference?

I Kickstarted both Divinity games and have been super pleased with both. The writing was always on the wall with Star Citizen.

It doesn't seem like you've played EVE or SC if you are going to compare them much beyond the fact that they both take place in space.

So you where expecting eve lite with a joystick. Got it. Have fun with that. lol

The SC boosters don't want to hear it but the bottom line is Roberts picked a terrible engine to build a MMO space sim on. There is a good reason you don't see a ton of Cry engine MMOs. :) His priorities for an engine where either skewed in the completely wrong direction. Or he simply choose an engine that would get more people excited about throwing him free cash. I know people hear something like Unity or Hero engine and think crap... but starting with an engine that has the net code end of things nailed makes a hell of a lot more sense if your planning to build an online game. It would have been easier to spiffy up the looks then try and reinvent a pretty engine with shit / non existent net code.

To be fair, I think this was before UE4 was released to the public. Given the options, his choices more or less were:

- Cryengine 3
- Unity
- Try and license another engine, although most the rest are publisher specific
- Build one from scratch

I think it will be interesting to see how Ace Combat 7 adapts to Unreal Engine 4. Essentially all of the major engines are based around on foot shooter/action adventure/RPG scenarios. None can do good vehicle games out of the box. Vehicle games just don't sell as well, so I suppose that is why there are no engines build around them anymore. All the flight games, space games, multi vehicle games have more or less died. So you really don't have much in the way of choice when searching for an engine.

At this point, what separates the Alpha from being a glorified tech demo, as opposed to an actual game?
About 10.000 programmer and designer days. I wouldn't even say it's glorified, it has the depth of the car game in 3Dmark 2001, if you're old enough to remember that.
The fact that the so called modules are all separate and don't run under an unified game executable, sets off so many red flags in my programming experience that in itself it would be enough to convince me that the project is nowhere near the completion level they'd like us to believe.

Yes Derek Smart and his goons have regularly targeted Star Citizen and CIG and post all kinds of fake, fraudulent misinformation just to stir up crap and discredit CIG, and Star Citizen.

Derek Smart literally makes shit up as he has even less than zero facts to butt hurt on
A bitter, irrelevant, hasbin that has never had anything close to relevant success.
Derek Smart is totally envious of Chris Robert's success and a waste of oxygen.

Star Citizen is like any other Alpha, Greenlight or in development game.
The difference is the amount of private funds raised and the grand scope of the single player campaign and multi player universe Star Citizen.
many cry feature creep, but almost all of these were funding goals that were offered during the crowdfunding.
The scope and depth of the project is indeed huge and will take a bit more development time to complete.
Backers understood this when backing the Star Citizen project back in 2012.

How much are you in for, commando?

Go to the Kickstarter page and click random projects and probably half of them have super expensive stuff you can buy that are objectively not worth it. "Meet the development team and get a signed copy of the game for a $5000 pledge!" is typical. And for none of them are you guaranteed to get something in a timely fashion like you are when you buy off Amazon. Star Citizen is not special in this regard. You pledge more than you have to only because you really want the project to have enough money to finish.

Hell, in the pretend refund story, they were buying three $15k packs of ~40 ships (or whatever it is) and splitting them amongst a bunch of people, so on a per-person basis, the $45k wasn't even that bad. And it was pretend.

Idiots who don't understand how much money fifteen thousand dollars is and what the cost of a game usually is, and how long games take to make, and the risks that it might take longer than they hope, are parted with their money well before they can blow it on Star Citizen. The rest of everyone who isn't an idiot understand and understood when they pledged.

Squadron 42 (and Star Citizen itself) was announced Oct 10th 2012. 36 months ago. Chris Roberts expects SQ42 to be ready by Christmas 2015. That's three months from now. Add an extra 1 month for Chris Roberts perfectionist tax, and that makes 40 months of time since announcement for SQ42 to be ready. With 4 months until the 40 month date, that equals a nice 90% done.

Another year for the full game to be out of beta, 4th quarter of 2016, and the math supports 70% or so.

There you go.

Back