The Female Leads Have Been Chosen for the Netflix 'The Witcher' Series

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Freya Allan and Anya Chalotra have been cast to play Ciri and Yennefer opposite Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia in the upcoming The Witcher series on Netflix. Freya Allan has previously starred in (The War of the Worlds, Into the Badlands) and Anya Chalotra acted in (The ABC Murders, Wanderlust). Lauren Schmidt Hissrich is one of the executive producers of the series and conducted an interview with The Hollywood Reporter on how she made the choices to hire people for the positions, fan reaction to the choices, her love for the books, games, and more.

The role of Ciri specifically caused a bit of backlash last month. Why do you think certain fans reacted that way?

It boils down to a couple things. One, this property has such a passionate fan base. I think any leak at all was going to attract this type of attention, and with any attention comes backlash to that attention. I do think that whatever information is trickling out there, there will be people responding positively to it and people responding negatively to it. One of the things I feel most strongly about is people being afraid that we're going to strip out the cultural context of The Witcher, to remove its Slavic roots, the very thing people in Poland are proud of. That couldn't be further from the truth. What I've always wanted to do is take these Slavic stories and give them a global audience.

Found a list.

Attachments

• deB49HM.jpg
    deB49HM.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 0
So I guess this is supposed to be a prequel to everything? They all look very young.

I'm pretty shocked. Netflix has been great about ruining everything it touches so I'm now wondering how they're going to destroy the franchise since casting seems fine. I assume they will make Yennefer a super villain and Geralt will be Ciri's apprentice or some shit. Netflix never ceases to disappoint when it comes to bastardizing source content.

LOL remember when everyone lost their shit about a minority being cast as Ciri and even though the studio said they were trying to cast a caucasian polish girl as Ciri posters still cried SJW ... how did that turn out? This is exactly why the alt-SJW premature rage is so stupid.

Last edited:
I'm pretty shocked. Netflix has been great about ruining everything it touches so I'm now wondering how they're going to destroy the franchise since casting seems fine. I assume they will make Yennefer a super villain and Geralt will be Ciri's apprentice or some shit. Netflix never ceases to disappoint when it comes to bastardizing source content.

I'm not saying Netflix hasn't had some real turds. However Dare Devil and Luke Cage are baddass. Marco Polo WAS baddass. It has some gems. It's not just consistent like HBO is, yet.

LOL remember when everyone lost their shit about a minority being cast as Ciri and even though the studio said they were trying to cast a caucasian polish girl as Ciri and posters still cried SJW ... how did that turn out? This is exactly why the alt-SJW premature rage is so stupid.
Minority for all intents and purposes means ethnic minority. So when someone leaks "minority" omitting every other detail people will take the wrong idea. And it's not like the producers were very quick to respond to the backlash by clarifying the misunderstanding. It's almost as if they left it brewing deliberately to get free exposure.

Oh and Alt-sjw still not a thing. Don't you get it, that the words you're using are contradictory to what you're trying to describe?

So I guess this is supposed to be a prequel to everything? They all look very young.
It's based on the novels. Based on the characters cast, I assume they're pulling from the short story collections The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny in the first season. Renfri, in particular, only appears in the short story "The Lesser Evil" in The Last Wish. Queen Calanthe is the mother of Pavetta, who in turn is the mother of Ciri, whose birth and appearance are setup in the stories of Sword of Destiny. Ciri's youth and apprenticeship to Geralt largely takes place in the first novel Blood of Elves. There is a cool story in The Last Wish called "A Question of Price" where Pavetta is revealed as a Source during a banquet to determine who will marry her.

I thought the same. I guess because I was looking at it from the Witcher 3 point of view. I only own The Last Wish book which I bought a few years back but haven't read yet lol.

Minority for all intents and purposes means ethnic minority. So when someone leaks "minority" omitting every other detail people will take the wrong idea. And it's not like the producers were very quick to respond to the backlash by clarifying the misunderstanding. It's almost as if they left it brewing deliberately to get free exposure.

Oh and Alt-sjw still not a thing. Don't you get it, that the words you're using are contradictory to what you're trying to describe?

Foolish people will get the wrong idea and the studio did clarify and clearly stated they were looking for a Caucasian polish girl for Ciri ... yet that wasn’t good enough for the alt-SJW snowflakes.

As to alt-SJW ... it is a thing and why do you care so much? SJWs and alt-SJWs are the exact same but on different sides of the spectrum. They are both easily triggered, quick to assume and jump to conclusions, and quick to vomit as much of their SJW / alt-SJW BS to push their agenda even if it’s completely false ... as this so clearly was. They are so much alike but they hate for people to point that out. Sound familiar?

I thought the same. I guess because I was looking at it from the Witcher 3 point of view. I only own The Last Wish book which I bought a few years back but haven't read yet lol.

Ciri was pretty young when they first met. It's estimated around 12 or 13 years old.

The Last Wish is a group of short stories. Really easy to knock out when you get some time.

I'm not saying Netflix hasn't had some real turds. However Dare Devil and Luke Cage are baddass. Marco Polo WAS baddass. It has some gems. It's not just consistent like HBO is, yet.

What are you talking about? They've had a decent number of successful shows. There is crap, for sure, but with the sheer volume of what they put out, that's going to happen.

I'm specifically talking about adaptations. Death Note, Altered Carbon, Iron Fist.... I would consider all of those just utter garbage. There's 100% a reason there is a meme about netflix adaptations as shown above.

I'm specifically talking about adaptations. Death Note, Altered Carbon, Iron Fist.... I would consider all of those just utter garbage. There's 100% a reason there is a meme about netflix adaptations as shown above.

I really liked Altered Carbon. *shrug*

Other two I haven't watched, but I have heard Death Note was meh.

Has ANY anime to live action ever been good?

Punisher has been one of the best series to come out. Can't wait for season 2.

Altered Carbon the book was unbelievable. The story actually made sense. The netflix adaptation just goes off the fucking rails. The problem with adaptations is when someone hasn't seen the original, the adaptation might seem passable or even good. But dog food probably tastes good if you've never had human food. That doesn't make it objectively good.

Phew, disaster averted... am i rite guys??

I dunno. Their Ciri choice looks like Alfred E. Newman or a young Wayne Rooney, and Yennifer is looking like a mildly cute Syrian refugee.

There have been some HOT Yennifer and Ciri cosplayers that have made the rounds recently - they should've just given one of them a crash acting course and called it a day.

LOL remember when everyone lost their shit about a minority being cast as Ciri and even though the studio said they were trying to cast a caucasian polish girl as Ciri posters still cried SJW ... how did that turn out? This is exactly why the alt-SJW premature rage is so stupid.
Let's shoot Black Panther with a white guy and see what happens. It's Cannon.

Foolish people will get the wrong idea and the studio did clarify and clearly stated they were looking for a Caucasian polish girl for Ciri ....
Where did they clarify and how? And why was it not picked up by the outlets running with "Minority sought for role"??

yet that wasn’t good enough for the alt-SJW snowflakes
That's bullshit and you know it. Point out one person who said it's still bad after they were told that they sought someone with polish ancestry?

BTW It's kind of dumb to call that a minority, as isn't everyone except natives have some sort of foreign ancestry in the US? Or are we calling Caucasians a minority now based on their origins? This doesn't add up to me.

As to alt-SJW ... it is a thing and why do you care so much? SJWs and alt-SJWs are the exact same but on different sides of the spectrum. They are both easily triggered, quick to assume and jump to conclusions, and quick to vomit as much of their SJW / alt-SJW BS to push their agenda even if it’s completely false ... as this so clearly was. They are so much alike but they hate for people to point that out. Sound familiar?
So you'Re not referring to "anti-SJW" as "alt-SJW" I get it. But that link, I've never seen such concentrated nonsense in my entire life.

I know you were not directing your post at me, but I'm going to give my thoughts:
Where did they clarify and how? And why was it not picked up by the outlets running with "Minority sought for role"??
In my opinion the ad was a plant to farm outrage from "angry white nerd culture" and it worked. The media got the attention they wanted, so it was dropped entirely.
That's bullshit and you know it. Point out one person who said it's still bad after they were told that they sought someone with polish ancestry?

BTW It's kind of dumb to call that a minority, as isn't everyone except natives have some sort of foreign ancestry in the US? Or are we calling Caucasians a minority now based on their origins? This doesn't add up to me.
I never saw one, myself. But in the scope of the entire world, whites are a minority, and not every white person is Caucasian. It's like saying every black person is African.
So you'Re not referring to "anti-SJW" as "alt-SJW" I get it. But that link, I've never seen such concentrated nonsense in my entire life.
That is a ridiculous link. I think it is just the result of the abundant "whataboutisms" anytime a regressive act occurs in this day and age.

Only one I recognize is Cavill.

It never fails, people always seem to think TV series are going to cast all A listers. I got another spoiler, it's not going to be a carbon copy word for word copy of the books. So if that's the other hill people plan to die on. Good tidings.

Foolish people will get the wrong idea and the studio did clarify and clearly stated they were looking for a Caucasian polish girl for Ciri ... yet that wasn’t good enough for the alt-SJW snowflakes.

First, it was right there in the OP of the thread you linked. Casting was searching for a BAME (Black, Asain, Minority Ethnic). I don't read Polish when I see that.

What does this have to do with anything? Why does every damn opposing opinion need a label attached to it? Can't just be point/counter point can it? Always gotta be labels and personal attacks with some folks.

Never caring about why I might disagree with their thoughts, just that I do, and that sure warrants a label.

EDIT: I'm glad they decided to stay true to the game's characters, shouldn't have even had to have been an issue, yet here we are.

Geralt meets ciri's mom while she was still pregnant.

And Yen, though like 100 in the books, uses magic to make herself look 20.

Who knows when this is set.

First, it was right there in the OP of the thread you linked. Casting was searching for a BAME (Black, Asain, Minority Ethnic). I don't read Polish when I see that.

I was very vocal about BAME being a titanic for this series. But I did actually read what BAME meant and it does include european minorities. It's an industry-wide definition based out of Britain.

Has ANY anime to live action ever been good?

Punisher has been one of the best series to come out. Can't wait for season 2.

It will never be good IMO because the amount of time/effort put into a 13-26 episodes series and the freedom that that medium allows can never be brought decently into the real world. However...they aren't horrible. I just watched the bleach live action...it was okay. Some of it was actually funny....but I am honest enough to know the limits of budget vs tech when creating a live action. It was more than fine to watch while on the treadmill.

It never fails, people always seem to think TV series are going to cast all A listers. I got another spoiler, it's not going to be a carbon copy word for word copy of the books. So if that's the other hill people plan to die on. Good tidings.
It was simply an observation, not a judgment on the quality of the cast. Get over yourself. :rolleyes:

Look at all the alt-SJW snowflakes … sad.

Lauren S. Hissrich, the executive producer of the Witcher Netflix series, who quit twitter recently because of alt-SJWs, made this statement May 11 2018 .. and I quote: "Will I move through the book and start changing people's cultural heritage or ethnic makeup or gender because I'm feeling really "liberal" that day? No. That's ridiculous and contrary to what ANY writer would do, because we are storytellers. Story comes first"

2vbv62o.jpg

So Lauren actually made this statement before all this alt-SJW casting bullshit even began with the article coming out in September.

What does this have to do with anything? Why does every damn opposing opinion need a label attached to it? Can't just be point/counter point can it? Always gotta be labels and personal attacks with some folks.

Never caring about why I might disagree with their thoughts, just that I do, and that sure warrants a label.

EDIT: I'm glad they decided to stay true to the game's characters, shouldn't have even had to have been an issue, yet here we are.

Sounds like a whole lot of alt-SJW butthurt to me.

What's bullshit again?

Last edited:
I wonder if Andrzej Sapkowski took a lump sum and is going to try and milk the show runners a few years down the track :rolleyes:
I have no faith so just give me my money upfront

Oh and except to hear from my lawyers when you sell the show to syndication, where I'll claim that the deal was only for the first season and demand royalties anyway.

Something something video games to live action all being garbage....Let me know if this somehow beats the odds and ends up the one exception. I won't be holding my breath.

Back