The Feds Want Our Cars To 'Talk' To Each Other

HardOCP News

[H] News
Raise your hand if you think this is a good idea. Anyone? Hello? I didn't think so.

The US Department of Transportation (DOT) is throwing its weight behind vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication systems. After years of experimentation and a real-world trial in Ann Arbor, MI the government is (almost) ready to make peer-to-peer networking a required safety feature on all new cars.

You mean, like, BitTorrent ? Ain't that a hoot.

They just want your car to "talk" to the government... all the time. It's like riding in a Snitchmobile.

*Raises hand* I don't see the problem, unless you like car crashes, then yes I guess it is

This is another one of those "good intentions" ideas that could have huge consequences.

What if someone's car isn't sending the right data to other cars? What happens? Massive car wrecks, people injured.
What if people figure out how to hack these systems?

If this were some public transport system where there is only system out of end user's hands and every single vehicle had to use it, then I would be ok with it.

Maybe the internet should have never happened :(

I'm sick of commuting from Orange County to West LA, so I need this ASAP.

The plan from what I understand it, is:

1) all cars will have 360 degree active radar and communication between each other
2) self driving cars will introduce "controlled" manual overrides (meaning, if you try to crash the car by taking control of the steering wheel, the system will not allow it - you can only merge or turn onto an empty lane or street)
3) ... pass laws ...
4) Profit ?

The auto industry basically told Google to go fuck themselves with their technology, so Google if going to design their own cars. But seeing what happened with Motorola, I'm not sure they will succeed by going at it on their own.

This is another one of those "good intentions" ideas that could have huge consequences.

What if someone's car isn't sending the right data to other cars? What happens? Massive car wrecks, people injured.

If this were some public transport system where there is only system out of end user's hands and every single vehicle had to use it, then I would be ok with it.

it would be candy land for hackers to see just how far they can get into the car's systems.

Great idea....
if you would like to receive a bill each month from the government for....
Infrastructure improvements, yeah, that's it....
apportioned according to your miles driven, weight of vehicle, how many passengers, use of alternative low-gluten green fuels, etc.

I agree with you and think that this should be nothing more than a passive system. My opinion with systems like this and "auto" braking is that you're giving drivers more and more excuses for them to not pay attention to their driving. I could see this actually causing more accidents initially due to people misreading the information. I don't know about anyone else, but beyond listening to music I have no other distractions. Maybe I'm getting too old...

My wife's car and my car are angry with each other and aren't speaking with each other ... I hope the government is satisfied now ... guess I better take them to the shop for counselling :p

One day I will be an old man driving a lap belt only carbureated car with a 4-spd that runs on gas, setup to be fun, and people will think I'm a dinosaur.

Look, you give my an advanced HUD showing this data because my onboard radar is letting me know, that's fine, it's like augmenting your sensors. But I don't like the idea of their cars sampling the data and sending it to me. That requires a network and then the idea of not knowing who is who is gone right out the window.

One day I will be an old man driving a lap belt only carbureated car with a 4-spd that runs on gas, setup to be fun, and people will think I'm a dinosaur.

I want to be in one of these :D ... last of the v8 interceptors :cool:

Front.jpg

I think I am going out right now to buy a new Mini Cooper Coupe with the new twin turbo engines, yaaaaaa.

it would be candy land for hackers to see just how far they can get into the car's systems.

This is what i am most afraid of with systems like this. Too many ways for it to go wrong, for starters, and secondly, there's the very real issue of government spying. If the cars are talking to each other, they could very easily be talking to listening posts along the road as well.

Next up hackers find a way into your cars personal information, entire V2V network compromised, news at 11

I want to be in one of these :D ... last of the v8 interceptors :cool:

Front.jpg

Easier to find a Ford Falcon, same car, but much easier on the eye.

I just haven't had my fill of unwarranted government surveillance, yet. Hopefully this technology will enable more of that.

Hell no, I know how to drive.
Also, hacking and Gov interference.
If I buy a car with this, it will get pulled.

And if your annual vehicle inspection finds the device not working up to par it will be another $100-200+ part to replace.

Phase 2 of the communicative vehicle program ... mass transit version :p

nekobus_satsuki_totoro.jpg

For those who don't know... you can't hack systems (engine CPU, collision detection, etc) that aren't exposed via a software API

Hackers (or the control towers for that matter) aren't able take over nor engage avionics (like auto-pilot) from the ground unless specifically designed that way (the difference between airplanes vs drones), for example.

Hell no, I know how to drive.
Also, hacking and Gov interference.
If I buy a car with this, it will get pulled.

Yep, youtube will have videos of how to do it for every car made with it. However, then they will just make tampering with your own car's electronics illegal.:mad:

Everyone: "no because government spying"

OK, turn in your cell phones and get off the Internet. And don't bother using snail mail either

So what happens when the system malfunctions and causes an accident? How about people finding ways to send false signals and make the car swerve to avoid a car that isn't there? How do you avoid hitting a pedestrian when the car auto-swerves to avoid another car and the pedestrian moves in an unpredictable manner because of panic, and ends up in the car's path without enough time for the car to react? I'm hoping they are accounting for all of this stuff before they start handing the keys to computers.

So what happens when the system malfunctions and causes an accident? How about people finding ways to send false signals and make the car swerve to avoid a car that isn't there? How do you avoid hitting a pedestrian when the car auto-swerves to avoid another car and the pedestrian moves in an unpredictable manner because of panic, and ends up in the car's path without enough time for the car to react? I'm hoping they are accounting for all of this stuff before they start handing the keys to computers.

lol

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ingle-accident-under-computer-control/260926/

How much does this add to the cost of a car? If it's more than a couple hundred dollars....NO. WTF is the point?

Teach people how to drive properly. I have a 50 mile commute everyday in California. I'd estimate 80% of these dip shits shouldn't be allowed to drive at all.

Do not want.

Do want.... or at least I want a few generations out.

People on average are too fucking stupid to drive without someone looking over their shoulder. You have freeway traffic being all retarded for what essentially is everyone going in a straight god damn line with out a need to stop. You have people getting into accidents and your insurance company taking the default of "that guy was in back he's at fault" regardless of the circumstances type situations. How many idiots pull out in front of traffic simply because they thought they saw it was clear?

So what happens when the system malfunctions and causes an accident?
Then you start having statistics for it? Something like 1 computer caused accident for every 100000 dumb ass driver accidents?

How about people finding ways to send false signals and make the car swerve to avoid a car that isn't there?
I'd put that in the same category as people who cut the brake fluid line to anyone who lives on the top of the hill just because they'd think it was funny.

How do you avoid hitting a pedestrian when the car auto-swerves to avoid another car and the pedestrian moves in an unpredictable manner because of panic, and ends up in the car's path without enough time for the car to react?
Pass new laws that make pedestrians responsible for dumb ass moves? *shrug* Or some sort of "near cross walk ignore auto-avoid protocols" override? *shrug*

I already handle all the car to car communication I need, by sticking my middle finger out the window at all the cars around me during rush hour.

Ordered some delivery food tonight, and the delivery website had a GPS tracker showing my order in route. Even gave me a picture of what the driver looked like.

Big Brother is not only watching, he is living in your back pocket.

Ordered some delivery food tonight, and the delivery website had a GPS tracker showing my order in route. Even gave me a picture of what the driver looked like.

Big Brother is not only watching, he is living in your back pocket.

These features I actually like ... I have used the GPS tracking for Supershuttle also ... nice to know where your taxi is and these are private entities doing the tracking of their employees ... nothing wrong with that ... it is only Big Brother if the government does it (at least in the strictest 1984 definition) ;)

The only concern I would have with these is if they put the safety of the employee at risk ... tracking a delivery truck allowing criminals to rob the employee, for example

My brother worked at the DoT over the summer on an internship. He actually did quite a bit of work on the V2V stuff (the financial side of it). He always seemed pretty high on it, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Back