The FCC Has Repealed Net Neutrality

Did they stomp on State rights while saying they are overstepping their bounds?

Speaking of stepping on State rights, it would be useful to nullify the monopolies, but one can only dream.

I find it interesting that the right wingers are celebrating this as a win over the left, but what exactly have they won?

The right to pay more for internet? The right to get nickeled and dimed? I'm not really sure how any CONSUMER could call this a victory. All it does is allow:

1) The ISPs to dictate what you can view/download with the service you're already paying for
2) Blackmail companies into paying them money for bandwidth that you're already paying for

You don’t get it. Government created a problem (specifically giving monopolistic rights to companies) then tried to fix it with net neutrality. Why not fix the original issue, why more government involvement?

What has been won is less government involvement. The real issue is the monopolies these companies enjoy, that was given to them ages ago.

Since ISP's will no longer be carrying content in a neutral manner, we need to repeal their Common Carrier protections. Let them get sued for billions by the content industry when they're responsible for the traffic on their controlled networks.

You don’t get it. Government created a problem (specifically giving monopolistic rights to companies) then tried to fix it with net neutrality. Why not fix the original issue, why more government involvement?

What has been won is less government involvement. The real issue is the monopolies these companies enjoy, that was given to them ages ago.

I'll go with that, if we repeal their "Common Carrier" status. That will open them up to multi-billion dollar lawsuits, buy hey, they can charge extra to access Netflix so surely that will make up the difference.

You seem to be forgetting that part of the Network Neutrality deal was to give the ISP's indemnity from lawsuits, so they wouldn't have to try and police users and ever changing technology. They want it gone, fine, but then they lose what they gained in exchange.

I find it interesting that the right wingers are celebrating this as a win over the left, but what exactly have they won?

The right to pay more for internet? The right to get nickeled and dimed? I'm not really sure how any CONSUMER could call this a victory. All it does is allow:

1) The ISPs to dictate what you can view/download with the service you're already paying for
2) Blackmail companies into paying them money for bandwidth that you're already paying for

This wasn't happening in 2015 before Title II extended to ISPs, it won't happen now. The Internet got more censorious, and therefore worse, after NN was enacted.

Also, legally speaking, NN is something that Congress needs to pass, not something that the FCC should unilaterally regulate.

1) The monopolies were a necessary evil to entice companies to invest in infrastructure.
2) Even if NN is a band-aid what's the point of getting rid of it before fixing the underlying problem?

This wasn't happening in 2015 before Title II extended to ISPs, it won't happen now. The Internet got more censorious, and therefore worse, after NN was enacted.

Also, legally speaking, NN is something that Congress needs to pass, not something that the FCC should unilaterally regulate.

Bullshit. You want to see what a lack of Net Neutrality looks like: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/telus-cuts-subscriber-access-to-pro-union-website-1.531166

DRCHmJuUQAAXkEp.jpg:large

Reactions: rudy
like this
Let me know how you feel about that after your ISP blocks your access to this site unless you add a Forum Package!! ($4.99/month unless we feel like it should be more expensive!) to your subscription to their services.

Stop trying to use senseless scare tactics that have no chance of happening. Did you use the internet before 2015?

Legit companies like Netflix, Facebook, Skype and other will have no problem paying a fee if needed. Drop in the bucket really for them.

The only thing net neutrality helped was illegitimate streaming sites that do not have huge profit margins. I can do without those.

Stop trying to use senseless scare tactics that have no chance of happening. Did you use the internet before 2015?

Legit companies like Netflix, Facebook, Skype and other will have no problem paying a fee if needed. Drop in the bucket really for them.

The only thing net neutrality helped was illegitimate streaming sites that do not have huge profit margins. I can do without those.
It's not a senseless scare tactic. ISPs in other countries parcel out the internet just like cable companies do in the US. The Net Neutrality laws prevented them from doing that here.

Asking "was everything fine in 2015?" is disingenuous too. The internet's infrastructure and capabilities are infantile compared to other established telecoms and utilities. It's still got a long way to grow. Suggesting it's some kind of static entity isn't in line with reality.

I am not sure what countries Parcel out the Internet webpage by webpage (North Korea?), but Net Neutrality is not a Law that prevented this from happening here.

Large Websites like Netflix will ensure that their service is available without an additional ISP fee no matter what.

Not a problem?

Not sure if you ever use Netflix, Youtube, or other P2P applications prior to the ruling...
And in all honeslty, what has changed? Nothing before or after. If you really think there was, you have been doing it wrong for years.

Bought and paid for.
Corruption at its finest... this makes the former Soviet Union look pretty good.

I guess we need to make a law that's hard to change instead of letting the FCC make a rule that can be quickly changed to whatever new evolving realities are to come. Stupid.

Anyways, I won't vote for any lawmakers that don't support Net Neutrality. They need to enshrine it in law now.

"For $19,95 you can voice your opinion on our decision just make it payable to your ISP"

Didn't Verizon or ATT block or throttle Skype to favor their own offers? Didn't the same happen with FaceTime? And peer-to-peer downloads? And something else I am forgetting? All of this before 2015.
Not sure, not from the states, just the whole internet was up in arms against this decision and you pick up on things.
Usually giving control to huge corporations is even worse than giving it to the government - they tend to bend one over a lot more.
But perhaps the monopolies will love the free market and will gladly accept any new ISPs, big or small. You know, the way they accepted Google Fiber by creating obstacles to stop them from spreading. ;)
I'm from eastern europe and sure, we have corrupt officials. But at least they make the effort to hide that fact, not go all "in yo face" like mr. Pie.

There is nothing that can be done. We are screwed. Lobbyists and politicians. What can we do?

Nothing.

Government did not create the problem. STATE AND LOCAL governments helped to create the problem. The problem would naturally exist to a great extend in a great number of areas irregardless of what state and local governments did. Nor is the FEDERAL government trying to fix the problem with net neutrality. Competition would be great and all but doesn't guarantee that the issues that NN addresses would go aware. All the competing companies in a footprint could decided to do throttling and blocking for instance.

NN is largely an issue independent of competition within a given area.

I'll go with that, if we repeal their "Common Carrier" status. That will open them up to multi-billion dollar lawsuits, buy hey, they can charge extra to access Netflix so surely that will make up the difference.

You seem to be forgetting that part of the Network Neutrality deal was to give the ISP's indemnity from lawsuits, so they wouldn't have to try and police users and ever changing technology. They want it gone, fine, but then they lose what they gained in exchange.

You guys are confusing the DMCA safe harbor provisions and common carrier. They are entirely separate and independent things. This very website is protected by DMCA safe harbor provisions and is not nor ever was considered a common carrier. Nothing about NN was intended or did given ISPs indemnity from lawsuits.

NN existed well before the FCC's 2015 ruling and Title II has literally existed as part of the internet from the very beginning (it was how you got independent dial up and then DSL ISPs)

Literally the only time period where NN wasn't effectively the law of the land was a brief between in 2014/2015 after the final ruling in Verizon vs FCC and the ratification of the 2015 order.

And NN is exactly something that the FCC should regulate. It is perfectly in line with the Carterphone decision. And for those unaware, Carterphone decision was literally why we had things available such as answering machines, fax machines, and modems. Carterphone required the network operators to allow any inter-operable device on their networks.

Tell me, how many of you here actually have a choice for which ISP network you can use?

by ISP network, I don't mean those smaller companies that buy in bulk and resell to you at lower prices.
I am talking about the network operator that owns the network infrastructure that allows internet access.

Like most things in the government not much will change until it affects every day consumers for a little while. The internet was fine before 2015 because no one except the tech savvy kids were using much of the connection. Grown ups couldn't care less about anything, cable companies didn't need or care for caps because their customers were happily dropping $80 / month to surf a little email except 2 or 3 gaming kids on the node. So why did the government suddenly start caring a little before 2015? Answer, Netflix, for the first time all the soccer moms started heavily using the internet and that included old tech luddite politicians.

So what is the answer to all this? easy let time and bad policies start hitting the soccer moms, and average people. When they are frustrated because some website they want to go to is slow or they have to pay more to use Netflix they are going to start getting mad and the politicians families will start complaining. this may sound bad, but unfortunately its the way our country has always run. And yes it is sad that politicians cant have the forsight to think about how to make pragmatic and fair policy.

I personally am lucky, I don't care enough about TV and movies so if they go al a carte then they are going to see my drop fast lanes to video services, once youtube feels it then google will throw their money around.

I live in the UK, does this matter to me?

Since Theresa May seems to have an desperate urge to eagerly offer to suck every major power's cock for a pat on the head.... yes, it will matter to you eventually.

For me, it's less about the actual contents of what's been done here, and more about the blatant disregard shown for the public's opinion. Much like Brexit, the will of the people is what should matter, whether the decision the people made is right or wrong, otherwise you further disenfranchise an already jaded public. It's not up to morons like this FCC fool to ignore what is a clear statement of opinion of the public and make the call in the people's best interests. He is a public servant after all.

Come on, folks, you knew the fix was in. There is not a fucking thing we can do about it, except ride it out and put a competent person in the WH.

oh man.. this is bad... i mean.. remember how bad the internet was bleak and barren back before 2015?.. remember?... yeah me neither.

Are all these sarcastic comments about the internet slowing down overnight serious? Like, we're on a tech forum right now, and these are people who took the time to register accounts and build some kind of post history so they've been here for awhile... and they're making these jabs about Comcast flipping some switch to put the internet in slowmo... but like, they're just joking right? They dont honestly think this would happen overnight do they?

oh man.. this is bad... i mean.. remember how bad the internet was bleak and barren back before 2015?.. remember?... yeah me neither.
Gotta love how well the '2015' right wing propaganda point has spread... Incredible, be honest tell me were your brain was washed? Fox news?

Do you even know what NN aimed to do? It was the PRESERVE the internet the way it has been. Jesus fucking christ...

Remember how aweful the Internet was from its inception until net neutrality saved us ?
Back then (like 2014) the internet didn’t even exist. Back then [H]ardocp was a magazine that was delivered by mail. Oh no! What shall we do when we are not all subsidizing other people’s usage?

Do you even know what NN aimed to do? It was the PRESERVE the internet the way it has been. Jesus fucking christ...

Oh was it?... thats weird... i though it was to classify and regulate it as a utility under Tittle II of the Communications Act of 1934...thats weird... i didnt know it needed saving...wow i was wrong, i mean the gov knows better than the private sector. WE ARE DOOMED NOW ..the internet will be like it was before 2015...man how did this happen...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Gotta love how well the '2015' right wing propaganda point has spread... Incredible, be honest tell me were your brain was washed? Fox news?
Honestly fox news is a joke. But having the federal government regulate the internet under the Title II of the communications act of 1934 is just plain insanity.
Just like the Fairness in Broadcasting Act of 1993. The government should not regulate the free speech or the free market ...EVER.

I'm truly sad to see Americans hating each other so much and treating each other with such contempt, taking such pleasure in seeing other Americans with different views being disappointed or "losing". What happened to respect for your fellow Americans and dignity and decency in your behavior towards your countrymen?

Sad.

The government should not regulate the free speech or the free market ...EVER.
Agreed. But NN was never about censorship of content (your free speech argument is bunk) and ISPs do not operate in a free market (learn what an infrastructure is)!

Agreed. But NN was never about censorship of content (your free speech argument is bunk) and ISPs do not operate in a free market (learn what an infrastructure is)!
Having the feds regulate the internet... the largest medium of free speech ever to exist in America or human history is not bunk. If the ISP's are as you say... we will see....

They should change Democracy "For the people by the people" to "For the Corporate CEO's luxury yacht's by the Middle class"

Decades ago I saw graffiti sprayed on a large portion of a downtown wall that said "America, the best justice money can buy!".

Back