The favorite games you played in 2022

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
With 2022 coming to a close, and already over for some of us, I am wondering what all of your 2022 gaming highlights were. You don't have to include something that was released only in 2022. Feel free to share whatever games were new to you this year.

My favorite game I played for the first time in 2022 is going to be Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I never played the original so the story was new to me even if altered from the original. It is one of the few games that is somewhat long yet I didn't get tired of. As it was not based on completing endless tasks but rather focused story missions and specific levels it felt like a fun adventure from start to finish. It reminded me of a time when games were designed to be fun rather than have dozens of slightly rearranged sections repeated ad nauseam.

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Screenshot 2022.05.12 - 18.04.58.86.png

Honorable mention goes to Uncharted Legacy of Thieves. Again, a shorter game that wasn't perfect but was designed more around being an enjoyable experience.

u4.exe Screenshot 2022.11.10 - 21.26.28.09.png

Spider-Man might be what I would put in third place. Fun but with some issues.

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered Screenshot 2022.11.08 - 19.44.34.76.png

While not an entirely new game, I purchased DCS F-16 and enjoyed flying around in this plane.

Screen_221031_003556.png

Edit: Going to add one more that I excluded because it is Early Access, but I did enjoy it and spent a lot of time playing it.

Ready or Not. Clearly feature incomplete and rough around the edges, but the only real tactical shooter to come out since SWAT 4 or GRAW on PC over a decade ago.

vlcsnap-2022-07-20-18h58m00s243.png

Looks like my favorite single player story driven games of the year were all Playstation ports.

Last edited:
games that I played in 2022 (all of them for the first time- except for Doom Eternal which I replayed with the ray-tracing patch plus the 2-part DLC)

1) Elden Ring- GOTY...not a perfect 10 as it had issues with repetitive bosses but was an amazing experience

2) Horizon Zero Dawn + Frozen Wilds DLC (PC)
3) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
4) Doom Eternal...one of the all-time best FPS games
5) Deathloop- very underrated game...Arkane Studios never disappoints

1. Days Gone
2. God of War
3. Elden Ring
4. 7 Days to Die
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

Last edited:
1. God of War Ragnarok - Didn't quite live up to the 2018 reboot IMO, but was still by far the best/most polished release we saw in 2022.
2. Spider-Man Remastered/Miles Morales - Unfortunately purchased on PS5 right before the PC release dates were announced. But fantastically fun games with excellent visuals (even on console).
3. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - A true "next gen" console platformer experience. Long enough to enjoy, but didn't outstay its welcome. Also great demo material for my shiny new QD-OLED TV.
4. Cult of the Lamb - Got a little repetitive/annoying towards the end, but a refreshing breath of fresh air amongst a sea of mediocrity.
5. A Plague Tale: Requiem - A big budget sequel to the fantastic original title. Graphically the game looks great, but the developers deserve some shit for the promised ray tracing they have failed to deliver.
(if you can't tell, I finally got my hands on a PS5 this year)

Honorable mentions: Dying Light 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Forbidden West.

1. The Callisto Protocol
2. Outlast 2
3. GoW Ragnarok
4. Spider-Man
5. The Thing (PS2)

These are the games I've enjoyed the most over the past year. I've played a lot more, but these are my top choices.

To many to choose but these are my picks for games I enjoyed over the year.

Dragon Age Inquisition
Mass Effect Andromeda
Prey
ELDEN RING
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Control
Fallout 3 and New Vegas

Valheim
Deep Rock Galactic
Anno 1800
Mindustry
Stellaris

1. God of War Ragnarok - Didn't quite live up to the 2018 reboot IMO, but was still by far the best/most polished release we saw in 2022.
2. Spider-Man Remastered/Miles Morales - Unfortunately purchased on PS5 right before the PC release dates were announced. But fantastically fun games with excellent visuals (even on console).
3. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - A true "next gen" console platformer experience. Long enough to enjoy, but didn't outstay its welcome. Also great demo material for my shiny new QD-OLED TV.
4. Cult of the Lamb - Got a little repetitive/annoying towards the end, but a refreshing breath of fresh air amongst a sea of mediocrity.
5. A Plague Tale: Requiem - A big budget sequel to the fantastic original title. Graphically the game looks great, but the developers deserve some shit for the promised ray tracing they have failed to deliver.
(if you can't tell, I finally got my hands on a PS5 this year)

Honorable mentions: Dying Light 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Forbidden West.

Seems like a fair number of us have enjoyed Sony's recent games this year.

In no particular order

BF2042
AC Valhalla
MSFS 2020
World of Warships
BF4

All look great @2k with my new 6800xt which arrived this Christmas

Wow as per usual
Borderlands 3
Horizon forbidden west

honorable mentions for
Wonderlands
Ratchet and clank rifts apart

Most favorite played in 2022, hands down, Horizon Zero Dawn with Frozen Wilds DLC. I'll be a very happy Goober when the other variations are released for PC. Day one buy.

Thymesia
Elden Ring
Weird West
Solastra
Ready or Not
Darktide
Demon Souls PS5
Ghost of Tsushima PS5
New World
Ghost Wire Tokyo
Shadow Warrior 3

Last edited:
Elden Ring, God of War Ragnarök, Stray, Deathloop (looks like I last played it 1/3/22), Forza Horizon 4, and High on Life.
Of those, Elden Ring was easily the best, although Ragnarök was better than like 95% of other games from any other year. I was glad I discovered Forza Horizon 4 on Gamepass. I think it's better than 5.

Some other noteworthy games I played: Tunic started great but got old by the end. RE: Village is wonderful, but the recent DLC was kinda lame. Spider-Man had a great core 15 hours and 40 hours of fetching.

While I always enjoy my MMO of choice and have more time in it than any other game for the year I don't count it in something like this.

Favorite would probably be Saint's Row 4. It's a slow start but once it gets going it's absolutely nuts and a ton of fun.
Next would probably be Horizon: Zero Dawn despite the fact I only just barely started the game. I will be playing through it soon but even the beginning of the game is a lot of fun.

Hell Let Loose takes the cake for me for 2022.
I just keep defaulting to this game to be my go to shooter. As I continue to play, the better I get and the more enjoyable the game becomes. Plus their subreddit is awesome.

Doom 2016
Doom Eternal
Ashen
Metro Exodus

I have a personal gaming tradition I began New Year's Eve 2017 and have kept going every year. Starting around 12pm, I do a full replay of the Mass Effect trilogy. I play throughout the night and finish between 1pm-3pm on New Year's Day. It's exhausting, but glorious.

EDIT: Fixed the start time.

Last edited:
I have a personal gaming tradition I began New Year's Eve 2017 and have kept going every year. Starting around 10pm, I do a full replay of the Mass Effect trilogy. I play throughout the night and finish between 1pm-3pm on New Year's Day. It's exhausting, but glorious.

it only takes you 17 hours to finish all 3 games?

God of War Ragnarok
Bayonetta 1, 2 and 3
Horizon Forbidden West
COD MW2 MP
Plague Tale Requiem

And some more that I am forgetting.

Last edited:
I ultimately enjoyed Dying Light 2 a lot more than I expected. The way the world is setup made me feel far more immersed in it than I did in the first game. The gameplay is ultimately 1 step back as far as combat goes, but the gameplay loop is 2 steps forward. It was annoying dealing with all the bugs at release, but the numerous patches have fixed it up. It's getting the same kind of love from the developers as the first game.

Elden Ring was just epic. So much love went into the creation of the open world that it never felt boring or repetitive to explore. I often found myself just exploring the world rather than pushing to progress the game forward.

Dead Space 2 is just as terrifying to me after the sixth time playing through it as it was the first. The way the game masterfully pulls you into Isaac's psychosis makes it one of the best horror games of all time.

Nothing else really stands out. I'm juggling the Xbox and PC versions of The Witcher 3 right now hunting achievements.
I barely played any games this year, so nothing I can call a favorite but my old standby, Battlefield 4 :D.

What do you mean by 2k? 1080p?
2K is 2048x1080 according to DCI, so the HD equivalent would be 1920x1080 or "1080p." Any other usage is incorrect.

Death Stranding directors cut, the concept wasn't bad, but the realization is atrocious. The terrain traversal, physics, and combat is so wonky that if it was anyone else but Kojima the game would be taken apart by criticism, but he gets a free pass, again. "You just don't get it, it is supposed to be bad" - some Hideo fan probably. I gave the game 5.5 hours before giving up on it.

Train Sim World 2 - picked this up with little hope, but actually ended up loving it, it fixes the problems I had with the first one, and actually is the best iteration of Train Simulator. Unfortunately it has been removed from the steam store, due to TSW3 getting released. I put over 200 hours into this in 2022, which is probably the most time I spent on any single game during the year.

Train Sim World 3
- after liking TSW2 I picked it up with great hope, but it is a cashgrab, almost no improvement over TSW2, it even lacks features that I liked in TSW2, so this was a waste of money.

Gran Turismo 7 - a total disappointment, I sold the game along with my PS4 Pro after waiting for months for the fixes they promised but not delivered. My console peasant days are probably over forever.

BeamNG.drive - still a firm favorite, whenever I just want to unwind I start it up to release stress.

Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour - I rediscovered this game after not playing it for many years, probably 10+, and it is still the best RTS ever created.

OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe) - Another game I neglected for a while that is still great fun and a very satisfactory stress free experience to play

Mass Effect Legendary edition
- I started it, but quit playing after leaving the citadel for the first time in ME1. I'm still burned out on the triology despite not playing it for five years prior.

Marvel's Midnight suns - As woke as it is, the gameplay is decent, so this is probably the best new game I played this year, I don't regret buying it, you can find my full 3000 word review in the reviews topic.

PS, no I did not play Elden Rings, because souls like games are not for me.

Death Stranding directors cut, the concept wasn't bad, but the realization is atrocious. The terrain traversal, physics, and combat is so wonky that if it was anyone else but Kojima the game would be taken apart by criticism, but he gets a free pass, again. "You just don't get it, it is supposed to be bad" - some Hideo fan probably. I gave the game 5.5 hours before giving up on it.

Train Sim World 2 - picked this up with little hope, but actually ended up loving it, it fixes the problems I had with the first one, and actually is the best iteration of Train Simulator. Unfortunately it has been removed from the steam store, due to TSW3 getting released. I put over 200 hours into this in 2022, which is probably the most time I spent on any single game during the year

only you would post all the games you hated in a thread titled 'your favorite games of 2022'...but it makes sense as you hate most games ;)

Going to add one more that I didn't originally include as it was Early Access, but I did enjoy it and will be playing it more in the future.

Ready or Not.

vlcsnap-2022-07-20-18h58m00s243.png

only you would post all the games you hated in a thread titled 'your favorite games of 2022'...but it makes sense as you hate most games ;)
If you hadn't noticed I posted all the games I played, and I didn't hate any of them per se unless you interpret criticism as "hate". If I outright hated death stranding I wouldn't have kept at it for 5 hours.

If you hadn't noticed I posted all the games I played, and I didn't hate any of them per se unless you interpret criticism as "hate". If I outright hated death stranding I wouldn't have kept at it for 5 hours.

again the title of the thread is "The favorite games you played in 2022"

again the title of the thread is "The favorite games you played in 2022"
I only played 9 games this year, so I Thought it wouldn't hurt anyone if I listed them all. But apparently you are greatly offended by this.
So much so that you are willing to derail the entire topic to give voice to your dissatisfaction with other people's opinions.
Your whining is much more destructive to the topic than me writing one line about a few games.

I only played 9 games this year, so I Thought it wouldn't hurt anyone if I listed them all. But apparently you are greatly offended by this.
So much so that you are willing to derail the entire topic to give voice to your dissatisfaction with other people's opinions.
Your whining is much more destructive to the topic than me writing one line about a few games.
You can start a companion thread called "The worst games you played in 2022" and have at it there.

I don't necessarily agree with Death Standing getting a pass because it was a Hideo game. It seemed to get mixed but generally positive. But it didn't get an extreme amount of praise either. I think it was a decent game and I did enjoy that it tried something different. I did not have much problems with the physics but I seem to have been lucky.

I feel like this game should have been a one and done, but they've announced a sequel. Unless they revamp the combat (in the process turning it into a generic 3rd person shooter), I am doubting the gameplay will hold my interest for long now that the novelty is done. I wish he did a new and different game, but I liked the first one enough to be interested in the sequel even if I didn't think the first was spectacular game.

I don't necessarily agree with Death Standing getting a pass because it was a Hideo game. It seemed to get mixed but generally positive. But it didn't get an extreme amount of praise either. I think it was a decent game and I did enjoy that it tried something different. I did not have much problems with the physics but I seem to have been lucky.
Kojima always gets a pass, meaning the criticism is much tamer or explained away with "style" I firmly believe that without his name attached Death Stranding would've been nothing but a laughing stock and a giant flop with no chance for a sequel.
The problem wasn't trying something different, people turn up their noses at "postman sim" but that is not why I stopped playing the game, it was probably the only thing that kept me going this long. No, it was the execution and the typical Kojima pretentiousness.
I feel like this game should have been a one and done, but they've announced a sequel. Unless they revamp the combat (in the process turning it into a generic 3rd person shooter), I am doubting the gameplay will hold my interest for long now that the novelty is done. I wish he did a new and different game, but I liked the first one enough to be interested in the sequel even if I didn't think the first was spectacular game.
The novelty wore off much faster for me, mostly due to the repetitive and boring nature of encounters, going through the same motions got really annoying after the nth time. If the game had decent action sequences instead it could've been great despite the wonky physics. Since I haven't even managed to get through the first a sequel is an automatic ignore for me.

Two favorites on my list:

1. Horizon Zero Dawn with Frozen Wilds DLC
2. God of War

2022 was lackluster as far as new releases go, but you didn't play anything at all that you liked?
I did but even still I never ended up beating anything. I beat Horizon FW and xenoblade chronicles 3 only last year. I got half way through GoWR and just stopped like most games. Playing games has become a chore to me and not fun anymore.

As far as new games go for me? Mount & Blade: Bannerlord. Although it was released last year as a beta version but this year it went gold. Since it went gold I been playing it every chance I get which almost every day.

Reactions: Aix
like this
I did but even still I never ended up beating anything. I beat Horizon FW and xenoblade chronicles 3 only last year. I got half way through GoWR and just stopped like most games. Playing games has become a chore to me and not fun anymore.
That's too bad. I beat roughly 50 this year, a record for me and had lots of fun doing it. Bounced off several games and didn't finish them but for the most part I tried to finish everything I started.

That said none of them were released in 2022.

Best games I played that came out in 2022:

1. Elden Ring
2. Rogue Legacy 2 (Beaten it multiple times throughout EA iterations)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
4. Atelier Sophie 2 (I was surprised by this one)
5. Harvestella (I was even more surprised by this one)
6. Chained Echoes (Last minute entry as this just recently came out but it's a cut above in terms of nostalgic 16bit JRPG's)

2023 is shaping up to look pretty damn good from what I've seen thus far.

Back