The Entertainment Industry's Dystopia of the Future

HardOCP News

[H] News
The entertainment industry wants you to install "anti-infringement software" on your home computer. Huh?!? You have to be kidding me. The RIAA / MPAA have seriously lost their mind this time.

In other words, the entertainment industry thinks consumers should voluntarily install software that constantly scans our computers and identifies (and perhaps deletes) files found to be "infringing." It's hard to believe the industry thinks savvy, security-conscious consumers would voluntarily do so.

Obligatory "If you've done nothing wrong, what's there to hide" statement.
Dumbest comment yet from them, but not the last.

And I think that all movie tickets and CDs should be $1. When that happens I'll gladly install their stupid software.

This is one of those tactics by the industry to try and falsely inflate the seriousness of the situation in order to secure more room in bargaining. They request something completely ridiculous and unthinkable so they can bargain their way down to something less ridiculous and unthinkable, but still very ridiculous and unthinkable.

I hope the current administration doesn't fall for it. :(

RIAA is at some point going to piss off the wrong crazy person, and thier HQ might be a big hole.

just saying.

Well, I like hiking, camping, fishing and all sorts of other outdoor activities. That will be my answer to not buying anything from the RIAA/MPAA if anything like this comes to fruition.

Oddly I have already stopped watching movies and listening to RIAA music. Do they want me to stop watching TV also? I think that the RIAA/MPAA put too much value on their product. They fail to realize how much people don't give a shit lol

They know we won't do it with consent. HOWEVER, they will try to push to make it mandatory. But I don't see that flying even in the most liberal of courts.

Wanted to point out this article over on TorrentFreak about the U.S GAO stating piracy has good side-effects: http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government-recognizes-benefits-of-piracy-100413/

In all seriousness it's sort of pathetic how narrow-minded these execs are. Do they really think that abusing their legal consumers/customers more is how to build a good business? What ever happened to the mantras that "the customer is always right" and that "good customer service is good brand imaging."

They keep stacking on DRM, piracy warnings and the like that it's becoming more and more a pain in the ass to even bother legally obtaining things.

Great example is Ubisoft's new constant online connection DRM scheme, which has failed for every game launched since they up took it. Everyone single game (Settlers 7, Silent Hunter, AC2) has had authentication server problems where players were unable to play their legally purchased game while pirates had their free lunch and ate it too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: history has the answer. It's not like we haven't been dealing with piracy ever since the beginning of trading. But more than anything having a strong, innovative product--not protection scheme-- and a reasonable price will do wonders. And I can't find any reason to charge $60 for a PC game where development is easier; you won't lose money on console royalties, and you're going to lose less to retailers (due to most distribution being online at this point).

It'll be very simple: install software or you cannot listen to CD...

Whatever bullshit software they use will be cracked faster then it gets installed.

Dear RIAA/MPAA,

Please go screw yourselves.

Signed,

The world.

In other words, the entertainment industry thinks consumers should voluntarily install software that constantly scans our computers and identifies (and perhaps deletes) files found to be "infringing."
I think the RIAA/MPAA should voluntarily STFU and set all the prices on their products to -$10, so we get money back from recieving their products, just in case they suck.

If everyone installed this software the sales of 1TB hard drives would cease. Maybe Seagate, Hitachi, and Maxtor aught to be complaining that a reduction of piracy would hurt their sales.

:D

There is no way that will work.

I simply mean no way.

Even if it does somehow pass, we have the greatest minds in the world hacking shit everyday, I promise that they can break this.

If there was ever a reason to push people into piracy just to shove a big FUCK YOU to these idiots, then this would put me over the edge. Not only do these two organization clearly violate RICO statutes, but they are allowed to operate with impunity and to prey on American Citizens wholesale. The problem is, is that there is no one big enough to take them on and they are in the governments back-pocket.

someone has been hitting the crack pipe way too hard again and it wasn't my crazy crack addict friends

Simple fact...

There is enough content... songs, movies, TV shows, in existence already to fill an ENTIRE LIFETIME of entertainment needs.

So, frankly, the content producers can all drop dead tommorrow and not make another song/tvshow/movie ever again and they actually wont be missed.

Best thing for the consumer would be to begin a blanket boycott of all new material. Send a message to clarify who needs who here.... no movies, no CDs no DVDs, drop all non-basic channels, etc, etc for 3 months. I guarantee they will come groveling begging forgiveness before the 90 days is up.

Simple fact...

There is enough content... songs, movies, TV shows, in existence already to fill an ENTIRE LIFETIME of entertainment needs.

So, frankly, the content producers can all drop dead tommorrow and not make another song/tvshow/movie ever again and they actually wont be missed.

Best thing for the consumer would be to begin a blanket boycott of all new material. Send a message to clarify who needs who here.... no movies, no CDs no DVDs, drop all non-basic channels, etc, etc for 3 months. I guarantee they will come groveling begging forgiveness before the 90 days is up.

Hell yeah. The most recent television show I've been interested in is stuff on Food Network or CSI/Law & Order SVU. Watching Twilight Zone every day doesn't bother me. :cool:

I think corporations like this really over rate their importance in people's lives considering they are an enternaiment purveyor. Which means that they aren't necessary and people will find other things to do.

In my best Tom Tucker voice. "I think I speak for everybody when I say that they can go fornicate them selves with an iron stick..... Back to you Barbara":D

People who don't pirate, don't pirate because they believe the producers should reap what they labored for. In fact, pretty much everyone would pirate stuff if they didn't believe in that.

But RIAA/MPAA is currently affecting people's perceptions of where their money goes when they buy stuff. More and more as RIAA/MPAA makes a big scene, people see themselves as buying from the RIAA/MPAA or the middle man, rather than buying from the artist. If they keep this up, piracy will only get worse. Moral principle will just be thrown out the window.

It's a lot easier to pirate something off of an Adolf Hitler than to pirate from a poor orphan trying to make a living.

The day this happens is the day some chap with mad skills writes a virus designed to do nothing more but download and mirror P2P files on people's computers, making it impossible for them to track who actually willingly downloaded any of their content.

This is one of those tactics by the industry to try and falsely inflate the seriousness of the situation in order to secure more room in bargaining. They request something completely ridiculous and unthinkable so they can bargain their way down to something less ridiculous and unthinkable, but still very ridiculous and unthinkable.

I hope not, but out of all parties involved the US seems to be the most enamored with ACTA at this point, whereas here in the EU it'd probably only get accepted over the dead bodies of a lot of EPs.

Plus you guys got fun laws like the Patriot act, DMCA and such already :)

Personally I'm all for it.

But I'll also be the first to recommend we install chips in their speedometers linked directly to the police department, breathalyzers in their cars, drug and chemical detectors in their homes, CCD camera's in their neighbourhoods, schedule regular audits, and GPS trackers in their wristwatches.

Ridiculous

Oddly I have already stopped watching movies and listening to RIAA music. Do they want me to stop watching TV also? I think that the RIAA/MPAA put too much value on their product. They fail to realize how much people don't give a shit lol

I think YOU don't realize how much people don't give a shit.

"oh well I'll just install this so I can watch my movie..."

The current administration doing something that the people want??? Come on, they will pay back their hollywood friends by supporting this.

Yea right. And I want to kick everybody in the RIAA in the nuts too. But that isn't going to happen either.

I've been coming here for years but only just set up an account... I know, sloppy!

But I just thought I would throw in my 2p worth...

About 6 months ago I decided to stop playing WoW. At the same time I decided to watch much less TV too (I have satellite TV but I just flick through the menu to find some programmes that I think are worth watching and set Sky+ to record them (Sky+ is like Tivo) like stuff on History and Discovery about engineering and outer space etc. I also like a couple of other programmes such as Law and Order and the new "V" series seems ok... I absolutely love Sons of Anarchy too). I hate regular TV as its full of shit to be honest. I also don't use Facetube or Shitter or any of that other social networking bollox (despite 15 years in the IT industry... or maybe because of it!). I do have a motorbike to let off steam tho :D

At least in the UK here we have the advertless BBC which is still the top dog for broadcasting (although I will admit that they are slipping but still better than the other rats on every other channel).

Since I cut my Tv to about 2 or 3 hours a week I really don't miss it at all, not one bit.

Anyway, as I was trying to say, you will not believe the stuff you can get done when you don't have TV (and WoW!) ruling your life.

I am an ASP.NET programmer (as well as an IT consultant for various Microsoft things) and started learning WPF a few months ago and I am getting quite good at it after only a short time. I also made a list about a month ago of all the stuff that needs done around the house and am rapidly working my way through it at the moment (its a big list). In addition, I am trying to get my own software dev business going with my brother which we have been working on for over 2 years and I would not be at the stage I am currently at if I still watched as much TV as I used to... we are this close *squeezes thumb and forefinger together* to getting it off the ground.

In addition, I never buy CD's as I just fire up Winamp and tune into a radio station on Shoutcast.com. I have to listen to the "And now here is a message from our sponsor" messages but there are not too many so it doesn't bother me really.

If I ever watch a movie on TV I always have something else with me, like a notepad that I am designing an application on or something, and when the ads come on I just mute the TV and work on something else... I refuse to be sold-to especially as I pay a subscription!

I think it was George Orwell that remarked on them having cameras in your TV to watch you in your living room... he wasn't far from the truth since they know what you are watching on Digital TV anyway.

What I am trying to say is that you don't need any of their shit. You don't need 50,000 cable channels, or CD's that the artists only get about 2% from anyway. My brother told me a story about one of the winners of the Simon Cowell talent show thing several years ago. He won it and was put into a manufactured band and for a year or so they had several number 1 hits in the UK and abroad... he pocketed £36,000 from the whole thing... thats it... £36k... you really want to support the middle men? I don't!

So basically fight back with the only weapon you really have at your disposal... YOU!

These bastards will get the message when we all stop buying their crap although their answer will be to fill every CD and DVD with ads :(

Anyway, its good to be here :D

Well, I like hiking, camping, fishing and all sorts of other outdoor activities. That will be my answer to not buying anything from the RIAA/MPAA if anything like this comes to fruition.

Outdoor activities…You do realize the Federal Government now controls over TWO THIRDS of this nations land, right?

Start here:
http://www.theodoresworld.net/archives/2010/03/dictator_obama_wants_to_ban_fi.html

Barack Obama has a message for America’s 60,000,000 anglers– We don’t need you.

Feel free to do additional research; this is just one site, feel free to look up your other interests.

The RIAA/MPAA won't hold a candle to the EPA our new overlords

They are working on the whole sex thing, so get what you can while you can:)

I've been coming here for years but only just set up an account... I know, sloppy!

But I just thought I would throw in my 2p worth...<snip>

I think it was George Orwell that remarked on them having cameras in your TV to watch you in your living room... he wasn't far from the truth since they know what you are watching on Digital TV anyway.

So basically fight back with the only weapon you really have at your disposal... YOU!

These bastards will get the message when we all stop buying their crap although their answer will be to fill every CD and DVD with ads :(

Anyway, its good to be here :D

Being a “Brit” do you realize your country has the highest count of surveillance cameras per capita in the world?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/334853.stm

Whatever your feelings about privacy, no one cannot afford to be camera shy in modern-day Britain.

Per capita there are more surveillance cameras in the UK than any other country in the world - more than a million according to one recent estimate.

The average city dweller can expect to be captured on film every five minutes. Almost 500,000 low budget CCTV kits have been bought in the last three years.

At this rate, by 2015 there will be no such thing as a secret place in our city centres, according to Simon Davies, of the pressure group Privacy International.

Seems to me the safest place to be where you live is in front of the TV ;)

Who pirates these shit movies anyhoo? they are all crap. The jokes on the pirates for wasting valuable time staring a fucking screen watching left wing loony fucktards pretend....yeah im anti movie/TV, its all garbage and and is a scourge on society.

Visit your local dvd/game shop for proof, these bastards, breathing is labor to these waste.

Being a “Brit” do you realize your country has the highest count of surveillance cameras per capita in the world?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/334853.stm
QUOTE]

You are absolutely right and I think it is fkn shocking... but what can I really say about since we voted the bastards in to power :( (I didn't vote for them but meh!)

I live in the countryside but I work in the city and I reckon that I get clocked by at least 50 cameras before I get to work... anyone can put up a camera and point it at the street!

There is an election coming up in a few weeks but the British public are sheep... they wouldn't know a crooked politician if he kicked them in the balls since all people care about is "how much money will I get out of this government?"... retards!

Back