The End Of Yahoo?

HardOCP News

[H] News
With things looking so bad for Yahoo lately, you have to really wonder how much longer Marissa Mayer is going to be around. Does anyone still think she can turn things around?

On Feb. 26, a 30-day window opens for nominations for company directors to be elected at the annual meeting in May. If management has not capitulated by then and agreed to sell the house and contents to the highest bidders, then the activist investor, Starboard Value, alone or in concert with the other hedge funds that have circled the company, will launch a proxy fight that is expected to erase Yahoo’s present board and senior management. And, in due course, there will be no more Yahoo.

I'm honestly don't know what Yahoo is doing to set them apart from the multiple other companies that have search engines, news, weather and shopping. They better come up with something special that people actually WANT or just call themselves AOL from now on.

Yahoo owns tens of billions of dollars in Alibaba stock for one thing. China's largest/second largest internet company

I'm honestly don't know what Yahoo is doing to set them apart from the multiple other companies that have search engines, news, weather and shopping. They better come up with something special that people actually WANT or just call themselves AOL from now on.

I think yahoo would love to call themselves AOL. AOL isn't that much of a consumer brand, but they have evolved into finding a niche they do well in. It's just not what they used to do, which was being an ISP.

Yahoo is still the 5th most popular website in both the US and the world. That's still a very powerful brand. IMO, the thing they still do better than anyone is maintaining a great homepage-style hub.

Most of their services are still lost in the early 2000's and make Google's mishmash of brands feel like they've been integrated for years.

IMO, I'd love to see them go back to trying to be the front page for the internet. That's one of the few things Google has failed at (beyond just making your front page a search box).

Yahoo does two things well: acting as a classic web portal/homepage, and hosting iPhone picture uploads on Flickr.

Get rid of Meyer, stop pursing SJWism, rebuild your product portfolio using Yahoo.com as a foundation and link it more closely with Flickr, and then realize that your users are on mobile and cater your products accordingly.

Yahoo owns tens of billions of dollars in Alibaba stock for one thing. China's largest/second largest internet company

I've toyed with the idea of doing an internet sales company buying audio related gear and parts from Alibaba; but frankly the rampant fraud on there scares me to death.

I think that Yahoo could continue on as a much smaller company but I don't think there is much hope of it being a major player again.

If she gets fired her severance package is $25.8M. I wonder what it must be like to know you will be insanely rich whether you succeed or fail. Where's the incentive for these CEOs?

If she gets fired her severance package is $25.8M. I wonder what it must be like to know you will be insanely rich whether you succeed or fail. Where's the incentive for these CEOs?

They have a lifestyle to maintain just as much as you do. Their reference is difference, but their social fears and desires are the same as you and me.

Even if I told you I will give you a years worth of pay if I fire you, would you still be hesitant because you don't know if you could get another job afterwards?

To make more money? To be powerful/popular? I don't really know.

HOWEVER, your numbers are a bit off, and lack a touch of perspective... she already has ~$380 million due to being employee #20 at Google. He wealth levels had already reached insanity before she took the job.

Being CEO of yahoo for 2.5 years -maternity leave (twice) just added ~$100 million to it.

They have a lifestyle to maintain just as much as you do. Their reference is difference, but their social fears and desires are the same as you and me.

Even if I told you I will give you a years worth of pay if I fire you, would you still be hesitant because you don't know if you could get another job afterwards?

Once you have more than $100 million in the bank, i think finding a job becomes irrelevant. You can either make your own business/buy an entire franchise/invest in real estate/or live off the interest for the rest of your and your family's natural life and be fine.

Obviously it's a difficult thing to related to for 99% of the world's population, working for the sake of accomplishment with no need of concern for material matters. Not that mo' money isn't better but with hundreds of millions on the bank never having to worry about bills or getting old and having all materials needs and wants satiated and even getting a large check in face of failure.

Membership has it's privileges.

Who has the most popular Music site? Google, Spotify, Pandora, Sound Cloud, All Music, I Heart Radio or Yahoo?

Answer: Pandora, but yahoo is #2 and only 7-8% behind (4.5 million unique listeners).

Who has the most popular Financial Site? CNBC, Fox Business, Forbes IBD, WSJ, Microsoft Money or Yahoo Finance?
Answer: Yahoo Finance, though MSFT $ is as close as Yahoo is to Pandora.

Who has the most popular sports website? Bleacher Report, Yahoo, ESPN, or Sports Illustrated?
Answer: Yahoo Sports with 50% more traffic than #2 ESPN

Did these guys not learn from Carl Icahn? He did the same thing a few years ago and lost a bunch of money.

I don't know about that. We life in an era where the culture is self-destructively fixated to the idea America women have somehow been suffering from a disordered "social construct" and are owed all kinds of roles, jobs just because they exist. Just last month admin said women must be put in ALL combat roles (including SEALs etc). Air Force academy is working on ways to let pregnant mommies keep flying jets. This blond STEM grad from Stanford (and former pop pom captain) who ran a top company ans has been on covers of all top mags will never have to really succeed at much. She'll keep turning up like some sort of iconic figure no matter what. Marissa's main job now is just being Marissa. She knows that too (hence the Louis XIV parties).

wonder if I should start winding down my yahoo mail account.. I have that thing forever and I actually do use it for certain things.

wonder if I should start winding down my yahoo mail account.. I have that thing forever and I actually do use it for certain things.

with 15 million users, someone would buy it (MS or Google, I suspect).

FWIW, MS dominates the free email space. Outook/Hotmail have 75 million users, while gmail has 54 million.

I don't know about that, who's idea was it to buy the Alibaba stock? They're the only person at Yahoo worth anything, fire everyone else (seriously, the Alibaba stock is worth more by itself than it is combined with all of Yahoo's other ventures.

January will mark 3.5 yrs as CEO for Mayer. I'm thinking if there's no major market change, she might not make her 4 yr anniversary. Big tech companies want results.

Fantasy Football - hello! You must have missed the playoffs. :D

Yep, not bad at all:

marissa-mayer-good.jpg

Back