The End of the DVD is Coming Fast

I hope not. Streaming is a dead end under current ISP strangulation on bandwidth.

not to mention that content aucks, unless youlike watching 'c' grade movies or the cable shows from history channel or a&e

Well, VHS aren't even gone, I just meant in the sense that manufacturing isn't really around anymore.

what i find interesting is that people accept streams at craptacular bitrates as long as they are 1080p, but audio needs to be uncompressed 4096 bit resolution and 1.21 GHz sampling rate at least. that's not directly related to the quote above, but that's the impression i have from the a/v enthusiast community.

anyway, there are still cds so why should there be the end of the dvd soon...

Those audiophiles are morons. They are hearing mostly placebo effect.

wrong. netflix does not even include dd 5.1 and that is minimal bandwidth.

I don't know exactly how it is encoded, as I don't have a 5.1 system (or care to own one), but Netflix DOES have 5.1 on many titles now.

not to mention that content aucks, unless youlike watching 'c' grade movies or the cable shows from history channel or a&e

Almost everything out of hollywood is junk anyway. Most of the good stuff does wind up on Netflix, eventually.

Netflix streaming has the worst selection ever. Its like maybe 10% of modern stuff you actually want to see.

Zarathustra[H];1038353245 said:
Have you seen that Netflix is starting to offer 5.1 in some titles?

Breaking Bad had it (though I don't have a 5.1 system to test it on)

Yes I just noticed that, at the moment I haven't got my rear surrounds connected, will probably get round to doing it now since most of what I watch is netflix... But still the sound on bluray really is noticeably better than streaming.

Netflix streaming has the worst selection ever. Its like maybe 10% of modern stuff you actually want to see.

It's got some good stuff, been watching how I met your mother, portlandia and breaking bad in the last few months...

It is only $7.99 a month... I can buy individual movies streaming from Blockbuster and Vudu for about $6 per title.

It doesn't have everything, but it really is cheap. Plus it is excellent for older titles, Indie films and foreign movies. Stuff hat you can;'t really get anywhere else.

Total, utter BS!!!!!!!!!!
With the "broadband Internet" costs (too much for most) and lack of infrastructure to reach all of the population, DVD's are gonna be the main means of content "delivery" for a long time to come...

Not to mention download caps being put on broadband services, read that AT&T have them set to 150GB on their lower end connections, kind of f*#ked if you live in an area where 1.5Mbps is the best you can get, DVD is far from dead in my case.

Yes I just noticed that, at the moment I haven't got my rear surrounds connected, will probably get round to doing it now since most of what I watch is netflix... But still the sound on bluray really is noticeably better than streaming.

Of course it is. Blurry is the top end format right now.

I thought we were discussing DVD though :p

Zarathustra[H];1038354037 said:
Of course it is. Blurry is the top end format right now.

I thought we were discussing DVD though :p

Haven't watched a DVD in a long time lol

Actually, I was thinking of the idea of going Blu-Ray. BR drives are pretty cheap now, as are the BR-R discs. DVD has been dead long ago. That's not to say that people don't use DVD. Especially those who have a movie collection.

Blu-Ray has had a rough start, due to companies trying to gouge customers with high prices. Those prices have been falling and I think it's time for BR to shine. Though I see BR's future more with games and applications then with movies. Though there is a large audience of people who haven't even considered the idea of buying BR movies, but would once the prices fall some more.

Actually, I was thinking of the idea of going Blu-Ray. BR drives are pretty cheap now, as are the BR-R discs. DVD has been dead long ago. That's not to say that people don't use DVD. Especially those who have a movie collection.

Blu-Ray has had a rough start, due to companies trying to gouge customers with high prices. Those prices have been falling and I think it's time for BR to shine. Though I see BR's future more with games and applications then with movies. Though there is a large audience of people who haven't even considered the idea of buying BR movies, but would once the prices fall some more.

For anyone with an HDTV, blu rays are definitely for movies imo as the main staple.

I have a ps3 + blu ray player and I use both for blu ray movies more then any other dvd I use in them.

Watching a film like say, Aliens, or even an older film like 2001, on blu ray vs dvd it's night and day. Even more so if you have a good sound system for TrueHD, etc.

I think DVDs will still be around for a while. Sure I'm a fan of Blu-Ray and HD video but if your system does a good job upscaling DVDs they can look really good.

I used the Netflix GreaseMonkey sorting script to sort my Netflix streaming queue a while ago and I think there were like 2 or 3 moves that were more than 3 stars, with most being 2-3 stars. Every time I hear someone say the streaming choices are crap I think back to that. It's for the most part true.

BD-R (Blu-Ray Disc Recordable)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-R

I haven't seen any proof of companies "gouging" consumers when it comes to Blu-Ray. All new technology is expensive at first. The first DVD players I was installing in late 90's were in the $300-$500 for the average player. It took a while before they dropped below $100 (like a lot Blu-Ray players have now when on sale, etc).

Take away DVD's and replace with streaming means I have no hard copy to own as my own. Not good. Streaming is not a replacement for hard copy ownership, but watch the industry try to make it one. And why on effing earth do I really need an internet connection to install and play my game? Not because I REALLY need one, that's for sure.:mad:

low-cost, acceptable quality, incredibly large and easily accessible market, with no real replacement. Yeah, no...

dont get me wrong, blu-ray IS nice, but much more hassle to find, buy/rent and play on your player then DVD

Blu-ray will dissapear before DVD. HD streaming for the elite that can afford it and good old DVD for the unwashed masses.

And yes why buy movies on physical media? We rent for £2 a go from the local library. Sorry but that's all most of Hollywood's current output is worth. Certainly not worth keeping.

I must have rented 75+ movies from the library last year and none of them warranted a second viewing.

I even got rid of 85% of my DVD collection to the charity shop. Most of it had only been watched once.

I kept just the best ones. Das Boot/Jaws/Spinal Tap/2001/The Thing/Tremors etc.

Funnily enough none of them were from the nineties or later.

The main issue I have with DVD at the moment is the dumbing down of them.

Check out a DVD from around 6-7 years ago and the video file on the DVD will be around 6-7GB. Now if you check out a modern release the size will be around 4.5GB or less.

Pretty much a single density DVD.

VHS movies can still be bought, but VHS is dead.

I miss VHS they could take kicking. But i wish dvd/blue-ray could used something like this.
psp20.jpg

But for a nice warm video tone. You can't beat laser disc

well unti the Blu-ray drives/disks are lower speed compare to dvd, i would say they'll stay here.

i agree with most of them haven't burned dvd in while hack i've cake and half of blanks sitting somewhere since, but that doesn't mean i'll throw away old vidoes (bring back the 21st Birthday)

Did you read the story of the 10,000 dollar bill by kids streaming movies stuff like that will kill streaming very fast. HI bandwidth is not universal in this country until then streaming is a pie in the sky solution, besides many people like physical media. I don't see physical media going away for a very long time.

I don't have a CD drive installed in any of my machine for years now. Good riddance!
Thought about getting a blu-ray player, but then again I rarely even use my PS3.

Total, utter BS!!!!!!!!!!
With the "broadband Internet" costs (too much for most) and lack of infrastructure to reach all of the population, DVD's are gonna be the main means of content "delivery" for a long time to come...

Agree totally.
In -most places- as soon as you venture outside the city you get 1-3 m/bit DSL. And nothing an many places.
Sparely populated areas don't get cable coverage (or any infrastructure) to support broadband. Satellite is NOT an alternative because of it's 500 to 1000ms lag time.
For NON URBAN (flyover country for you liberal) locations; DVDs by mail is a GREAT thing.

So many people aged 50+ still don't know what the difference between is between bluray and DVD and think that HDTV simply means it's a flat TV...

I dont think they are dead, think of all the cars outfitted with DVD players. They make more cash selling the combo packs with dvd, bluray and digital copy. I personally buy these myself so we have them all for the kiddos. So I dont believe dvd will die anytime soon. Maybe 5 years down the road I can see that when bluray is in every home. It will be like the VHS to DVD conversion, that took forever for VHS to go away.
^yeah, I think DVD will linger for quite some time

Until ISP's stop their caps you aren't going to see it. Netflix already chews through comcast's cap super fast, if you watch HD movies.

I would stream everything I could aside from movies I want on Blu ray, which you just aren't gonna get that quality from streaming though the net.

I don't think it's any real secret that these data caps are not to stop "monstrous downloading evil people" like the ISP's say it is. It's really to try and fend off the mass exodus occurring from Cable to Streaming companies would be my guess.

The ISP's are controlling your ability to do business with a competitor it would seem to me. I see a legal challenge coming on this eventually. At least I hope so.

As a writer I don't see DVD going anywhere. Blu-ray is overkill for most burning task. As software media, I guess it depends on how large the software is, but seeing how most home computers still have DVD drives, it's not going anywhere either.

Now when it comes to movies, I don't mind Blu-ray overtaking DVD. I love me some Blu-ray.

DVD still has one thing going for it, and it's in the name "Versatile", My computer can play it, I can rip it down easily and quickly, many cars have it, almost anyone has a dvd player, if your computer doesn't' have a dvd player external ones can be had for 30 dollars computer drives or descent players. DVD movies don't always look as good a blu ray on a NICE GOOD HDTV but I don't care I sold my HDTV don't use it, movies I like I have seen so many times I just have them playing as back ground noise/distraction during programming sessions. And getting my favorite older movies is cheap when people are dumping them on ebay to get the blu versions. Something else I never did understand about blu ray (I lived it for about two years until coming to this conclusion, I had the 5.1 cerwin vega system, got the 52" samsung hdtv and pioneer quality mid range blu ray player) Action/Horror and Sci Fi get a boost from Blu Ray 1080p but the Hangover or other popular comedy or chic flick what is the point that I can see with ultra clarity the strains of a actor/ress 's hair when he/she talks. My HDTV was only really good when Playing Xbox 360, yeah Flash Gordon, waterworld and Predator has alot of clarity on Blu ray but really those movies are so old does the clarity hinder or enhance the movie and old special effects? And new CGI sometimes looks cheesy on BLu , Tron Legacy the "YOUNG Bridges" looks bad to me on blu less distracting and noticeable on dvd.

As a writer I don't see DVD going anywhere. Blu-ray is overkill for most burning task. As software media, I guess it depends on how large the software is, but seeing how most home computers still have DVD drives, it's not going anywhere either.

Now when it comes to movies, I don't mind Blu-ray overtaking DVD. I love me some Blu-ray.

I still use plain old CDR's for most of my data burning, but I do that a lot less frequently now since decent sized thumb drives have become available. :p

It's BS. There are so many computers, vehicles (my kids love watching movies in our SUV and it keeps the wife and I sane on longer road trips), and other consumer products being sold with non-Bluray DVD players, that it wouldn't make sense to altogether erase a lucrative chunk of income for all parties invloved in such the near future. Until optical disc player manufacturers cease making strictly DVD only devices and shift to 100% Bluray (of course, just about all fo them compatible with DVD anyway), the DVD is going to be around for quite some time, imo.

Zarathustra[H];1038360529 said:
I still use plain old CDR's for most of my data burning, but I do that a lot less frequently now since decent sized thumb drives have become available. :p

Me too. Nice thing about 99% of DVD burners is they burn CDs as well. I suppose you can say the same for some Blu-ray burners too, but there's still the statistics of most computer owners having DVD/CD burners.

Well, for the most part I don't see DVD going anywhere.

Guess it depends where you live, in many (most?) places in Canada the caps are way too low to stream. On purpose on course because the major ISPs are also the major network/content providers (own tv stations, radio...etc).

The benfits to the "average" consumer coming from DVD to BD are not near as drastic as they were going from VHS to DVD. Nowhere even close. That is what will take this thing forever to die. High-end hobbies are great, but it's the mainstream that defines how fast technology can advance. BD will be obsolete (already is IMO) when the 4K / 48P TV's start becoming widely available in the next 5-7 years (they will need a better source than BD). We will still have DVDs around then and years after.

Streaming sucks. Video can come close, but sound is massively compressed. As we advance in video technology (4K,48P etc.) streaming becomes an even bigger problem. YET AGAIN, for the mainstream average consumer, streaming will probably fit the bill as most don't know what they're missing, and/or don't care.

Back