The End Of Terrible Wi-Fi Is Near

Ask them where the nearest bookshelf is and put it on top out of view. On top of the china cabinet is another place in the dining room. You generally don't want them as a centerpiece, but that's the same with practically all electronic stuff.

It's very easy to do this on the internet. Not so easy to do this in person. Again, I encourage you to deal with this situation with non-technical persons in real life applications.

Not sure what to tell you. Visit non-technical people and ask them to put an Asus RT-AC88U in their living room.

It's very easy to do this on the internet. Not so easy to do this in person. Again, I encourage you to deal with this situation with non-technical persons in real life applications.

Real life people need to decide if they want the WiFi to work or not. It doesn't matter if the router looks like a vase or Master Chief's helmet, compromises need to be made somewhere.

Real life people need to decide if they want the WiFi to work or not. It doesn't matter if the router looks like a vase or Master Chief's helmet, compromises need to be made somewhere.

They make one that looks like his helmet??!?!!

And the point is that the industry is the one compromising, by finally making devices that don't look like props from Hackers.

The problem with WiFi is people. People buy shitty routers and then place them to get shitty coverage. I also don't care what my router looks like, just that it works.

"I don't understand, I bought the prettiest router I could find but the coverage is awful! This makes no sense! It's obviously the wireless frequency's fault and not this stealth-bomber-esque router I completely overpaid for! It's got 8 antennae for chrissakes, how can it be bad?"

My buddy asked me for advice on a new wifi router since he had been running the modem built-in garbage and his coverage was (not surprisingly) inadequate. He showed me the two he had been looking at and I about yelped in pain at 1) the prices and 2) the looks. $300+ for a wifi router...that'll be the day, let me tell you. The two he had been contemplating were complete and utter overkill for what he wanted them to do (not to mention the marketing garbage - "triple channel", when two of them are just separate 5GHz bands), but they looked vaguely futuristic and just positively bristled with antennae. It took some convincing but I got him to commit to a much more reasonably priced router that would do exactly what he needed it to do for a third of the cost.

Last edited:
The thing about extenders that people don't realize (and mesh networks in general) is that every time you jump from one AP to the next down the line you are losing 50% of your bandwidth because it is having to repeat your signal and use up air time. This can even affect those users using the same frequency band and channel as those on the downlink side since they all share the air simultaneously. The ONLY way around this is to have dedicated radios on frequencies that the clients don't connect to and even still this can only mitigate the issue so far.

The best this is and will always be to install APs in multiple locations where there is an available ethernet port and then manually set the channels such that you have overlapping coverage but not co-channel interference.

I know this product isn't for "power users" but I still thought I would share my two cents.

"I don't understand, I bought the prettiest router I could find but the coverage is awful! This makes no sense! It's obviously the wireless frequency's fault and not this stealth-bomber-esque router I completely overpaid for! It's got 8 antennae for chrissakes, how can it be bad?"

My buddy asked me for advice on a new wifi router since he had been running the modem built-in garbage and his coverage was (not surprisingly) inadequate. He showed me the two he had been looking at and I about yelped in pain at 1) the prices and 2) the looks. $300+ for a wifi router...that'll be the day, let me tell you. The two he had been contemplating were complete and utter overkill for what he wanted them to do (not to mention the marketing garbage - "triple channel", when two of them are just separate 5GHz bands), but they looked vaguely futuristic and just positively bristled with antennae. It took some convincing but I got him to commit to a much more reasonably priced router that would do exactly what he needed it to do for a third of the cost.
There's nothing wrong with 2 5g bands. You can utilize both for twice as much bandwidth if you have a lot of devices.

There's nothing wrong with 2 5g bands. You can utilize both for twice as much bandwidth if you have a lot of devices.

Which he doesn't, so it's useless for his use case - but he wanted it because three bands > two bands, not because he could even use it.

Back