The end of BA8/BA12

What kind of work will my dual hex core SR-2 with HT be running?

That's 24 "cores" so you should be fine. Deadlines may be a bitch but it's the nature of the game I guess

Wow....

Knew it was coming... but not this soon.

Look for the ppd to drop accrossed all the teams.

The initial ppd of the new units don't show a huge drop, though they do plan a drop as it seems its too high.

The initial ppd of the new units don't show a huge drop, though they do plan a drop as it seems its too high.

I was more refering to the large number of i7 970s (and similar) along with single 2011 systems that just got pushed to normal SMP that were doing -bigadv 12 WU.

I'm guessing I shall see something pop up in the DAB soon :p

So what happens to the 6903 and 6904 units now? Do we start getting them on 16+ core rigs again?:D
Maybe less PPD drop afterall?

What kind of work will my dual hex core SR-2 with HT be running?

You can still do BA16, can't remember what speed your SR-2 is at but as long as dual hexes are at 2.8Ghz or above you'll be OK for now. My stock x5670 rig averages about 110k PPD on 8101

I was more refering to the large number of i7 970s (and similar) along with single 2011 systems that just got pushed to normal SMP that were doing -bigadv 12 WU.

I'm guessing I shall see something pop up in the DAB soon :p

Yeah, a lot of gulfies just got "demoted" to stock SMP, should still rack up good PPD though and they will help clear the backlog of WU there.

Speaking of 2011 - noticed your new boxen is up and running, what are tpf's like on 8101?

My Gulfies have been on SMP for a while now, they will avg between 45,000 and 50,000 PPD so not too bad about 1/2 of what they were getting on bigadv though.

Took them a while!

does this mean 16+'ers will get the yuicy 6904/6903/6905s :D :D

Spent big chunk of cash for 970s and 980x and only fold smp .. and get only 30k+ PPD .. I would retire all single socket PCs ... waste too much time and money :D

Spent big chunk of cash for 970s and 980x and only fold smp .. and get only 30k+ PPD .. I would retire all single socket PCs ... waste too much time and money :D

I would say that depends on your hardware that you have and how much power you want to use.

If you just have one rig and it is single socket... fold on it

If you have hardware all over and it is summer and you have heat issues, fold what you can till winter.

total .. 4x 6-core (12-threads) PCs, 5x 4-core (8 threads) ... heat + utility bill -- ain't worth for regular smp..... Would think I only keep dual & quad sockets rigs.

total .. 4x 6-core (12-threads) PCs, 5x 4-core (8 threads) ... heat + utility bill -- ain't worth for regular smp..... Would think I only keep dual & quad sockets rigs.

I would say if you wanted to go 4P you have enough hardware to sell to pay for it.

I cycle out about half my hardware a year. There is always something new coming.

I would think there are a number of people out there with i7 920s or Q6600s that would love the chance to pick up a i7 970 to fold on and or use as their daily driver.

I would say that (in general) it is still very much worth folding on that hardware.

Yep, I still have a Q6600 and a QX6700 folding as well as feeding 3x GPUs each. I built those boxen when GPUs were king of the hill PPD-wise. As I don't pay for the power/cooling, the GPU/CPU garden churns out a tasty 120kPPD baseline without issue. Plus the fact that the CPUs have been doing SMP w/passkey for yonks, that keeps my completion ratio high for QRB, especially when I had stability issues with the 4P.

I switched to folding SMP with my 980x daily driver a few weeks ago. No plans on any hardware changes here.

We need lots of "normal" boxen to chew through the smp work units. The work still needs to be done.

My 2P 6128 is pretty pricey to be chewing through SMP. Should sell it and get two i7's instead. Double the points for the same price.

My rig in sig is crunching a 8101 WU now, TPF of 31 minutes so it'll meet the deadline with only about 6 hours to spare. Are there any tougher (harder to meet deadline) bigadv WUs than this?

We need lots of "normal" boxen to chew through the smp work units. The work still needs to be done.

Yup, that we do. I'm a points whore, I'll admit it, but it's all important; even if it doesn't turn in killer PPD.

Have a "low end" 4P system (4x E5-4607) that has been munching away on 609x WU's for a while now. Does these well enough at ~2:30/TPF; but if I were to feed it a current BB unit it would choke badly. IIRC it took 15M TPF on a straight 6900! :eek: Also been throwing a several single socket E5-2620's at SMP WU's too when the opportunity presents itself. It all adds up! :)

My rig in sig is crunching a 8101 WU now, TPF of 31 minutes so it'll meet the deadline with only about 6 hours to spare. Are there any tougher (harder to meet deadline) bigadv WUs than this?

You are running the toughest of the current bigadv WU's but we do not know what the 6905 and 6906's are going to be like yet so as of today you are safe, but who knows about tomorrow. ;)

You are running the toughest of the current bigadv WU's but we do not know what the 6905 and 6906's are going to be like yet so as of today you are safe, but who knows about tomorrow. ;)

I can live with that :)

I was doing some math, 12 threads at 4.7ghz = 16 threads at 3.5ghz = 24 threads at 2.35. Current multi-P processors are not over 3.5ghz but definitely are over 2.35 so the day they want to move to 24 threads minimum then no more bigadv for me.

I was doing some math, 12 threads at 4.7ghz = 16 threads at 3.5ghz = 24 threads at 2.35. Current multi-P processors are not over 3.5ghz but definitely are over 2.35 so the day they want to move to 24 threads minimum then no more bigadv for me.

Your maths is out, 24 threads for intel cpu's needs 2.66 or more, possibly 2.8 to give yourself a safety margin on uplod speed

Your maths is out, 24 threads for intel cpu's needs 2.66 or more, possibly 2.8 to give yourself a safety margin on uplod speed

I agree, I have 16 threads at 3.2Ghz and I am no where near deadlines on 8101 on that machine. I would need around 4Ghz on 16 threads to comfortably make 8101 deadlines on my 2P with my internet connection.

I agree, I have 16 threads at 3.2Ghz and I am no where near deadlines on 8101 on that machine. I would need around 4Ghz on 16 threads to comfortably make 8101 deadlines on my 2P with my internet connection.

I was just doing some raw calculation using # threads times Ghz and dividing by theoritical number of threads. I don't know what the loss of efficiency for going multi-processor is and obviously architecture matters too.

Still it makes me smile that my 6 cores 12 threads can do 8101 with a couple hours to spare.

Doesn't make me smile that my 12c/24t misses 8101 deadlines by about 8 hours:(

What? Which of your setups and at what speed? I can imagine 8 cores 16 threads being slower than my comp due to being Xeon and not overclockable but not 12 cores.

Simple solution...get faster internet! :D

I would if I had a choice!

Agreed. If one can afford a 8P setup, they can get off of 'America Online' :D

That 8P was cheaper than expected to bring online :D. I only have one ISP that provides service where I am at.

His Hayes Smartmodem screams bloody murder every time it uploads a workunit. Not pretty to see or hear.

I could just imagine the upload time at 300 BAUD! A rough estimate of 77 days upload on a 300 baud modem for a 6903 lol.

What? Which of your setups and at what speed? I can imagine 8 cores 16 threads being slower than my comp due to being Xeon and not overclockable but not 12 cores.

Either of my dual L5640's. Max clock is 2.4 and no overclocking. :(

I'm only going to be pissed off for a few more days though (hopefully):D

^Same here, my l5639's can't do them, but soon my little children will grow into theire bigger Blackhawk ultra home, and beable to run faster......

Back