The elusive Gigabyte GV-N980G1

ZLoth

Gawd
Has anyone managed to get one of the elusive Gigabyte GV-N980G1? They do exist as they have shown up on review sites, but they are also perpetually out-of-stock at NewEgg. I want one because of the performance numbers at 1080p. However, I can wait since my recent build has on-board video.

They were in stock at NewEgg for about 5 minutes the other day, I just happened to be looking at that second.

A5NJ9JH.jpg

I have one in my current rig (see sig) as I am waiting on other parts before I can build the new computer.

They had some in stock again overnight. They must be getting middle-of-the-night shipments frequently from GBT.

It figures. I go from graveyard shift to swing shift, and the cards arrive while I am sleeping.

Oh well. I pulled my old Palit GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic Platinum Overclocking video card from the recycle bin, took off the fan and heat sink, cleaned off the very dry thermal compound off the GPU and heat sink, put on some Arctic Silver, and assembled it. Yes, I know I violated the two year warranty, but considering that I purchased it in July, 2010, I don't that that's going to matter much.

What did they use for thermal compound anyways on this card?

It figures. I go from graveyard shift to swing shift, and the cards arrive while I am sleeping.

Oh well. I pulled my old Palit GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic Platinum Overclocking video card from the recycle bin, took off the fan and heat sink, cleaned off the very dry thermal compound off the GPU and heat sink, put on some Arctic Silver, and assembled it. Yes, I know I violated the two year warranty, but considering that I purchased it in July, 2010, I don't that that's going to matter much.

What did they use for thermal compound anyways on this card?
It was a Fermi card, they has to use asbestos as anything else burst into flame.

It was a Fermi card, they has to use asbestos as anything else burst into flame.
:D

In all fairness, my GTX 570 never got that hot. It was actually one of the coolest running cards I have owned in the past 10 years until I got my 970s.

I wanted one these because of the I/O, but if you use both dvi, you lose 2 displayports. If only nvidia would let me run more than 4 monitors on one card.

Just as an update... I received the card on November 10th... and am enjoying it. No complaints whatsoever.

Back