The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (free if you own the Legendary Edition)

After 7 something years I finally started the DLCs today lol. It's so weird to experience brand new Skyrim content after all this time.
I'm about to jump into the Dragonborn DLC for the first time.

I've spent the last 2 days modding the crap SE. I've only had a few hiccups, but vortex cleared that up real quick.

I'm about to jump into the Dragonborn DLC for the first time.

I've spent the last 2 days modding the crap SE. I've only had a few hiccups, but vortex cleared that up real quick.
Make sure you create a bashed batch with Wryebash, takes like 2 minutes but solves a ton of issues.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6837

There's also the extra automated leveled list addition script but I couldn't figure it out.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/25395

Another mod plug. I was digging around through available followers, mostly from InterestingNPC (which are good) and others like Inigo.
Nothing really fit what I was looking for.

And then I found Lucien. He's basically a noob scholar who grows like your own character does; based on your abilities and the role you assign him, he gradually gains skills over time. Plus there's a huge log of spells you can teach him via books, including Apocalypse support. You can toggle spells on or off right from his dialog tree. The VA work is really great, and he constantly makes comments about locations and quests you're on. Blows the vanilla followers out of the water, obviously.

All things considered he's probably the best follower in Bethesda history. I just wish the creator would make different followers (different flavors of Lucien) -- maybe even just a female version.

Unfortunately he's incredibly weak when you first get him, so starting a new playthrough and grabbing him right at the start is the best way to do it. Although I should mention, even at his starting level of 10, he's better in combat than my previous follower (Serana) just because he's customizable and actually WEARS the gear you give him.

He doesn't count as a Follower (so you can have him + 1 other actual follower) and he doesn't work with follower mods like EFF or AFT. I tried running him with EFF anyway and I was getting a bunch of crashes.

https://josephrussellauthor.com/Lucien_Training.html

HavokFix also has a load fps uncapper to reduce load times.
the mod is specifically incompatible with rtss so i cant use it, unfortunately...

Anniversary Edition coming 11/11.
It's just the SSE game bundled with a bunch of Creation Club mods.

skyrim-anniversary-1629406234377.png

Last edited:
Current SSE owners receive 3 free CC mods, console owners get a graphics upgrade on new consoles.
The "Anniversary Edition" is a paid upgrade.

In other words, Bethesda is now selling a mod bundle and calling it a new edition of the game lol.
Yes, I don't see the point of it. I guess if you've never purchased the game before? I do have to wonder, though, if all of those 500 mods were carefully curated or they're just going to piss people off. I hope that they at least let you pick and choose what mods to use.

Skyrim has to be the single most re-purposed game of all time at this point. If it isn't, it can't be very far behind Street Fighter 2.

Am I reading this correctly? Club Credits - Get Credits to be used in Creation Club – a collection of all-new game content for Skyrim Special Edition. Content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons. Using Creation Club is easy – browse the selection in-game by category and use Credits to download the content. Credits can be purchased in packs of various sizes, and you’ll receive a discount on larger packs.

So they're making you pay for mods that other people made that are free on Nexus....?

Nope creation club has been around for a few years now. They are mod creators specifically chosen by Bethesda to make paid mods for the in-game mod store.
The ones on Nexus are separate.

When all you have over the past seven years is that Fallout 'survival' game this looks to me to be an attempt at staying relevant. Personally, remasters, remakes, and all that shit, whether it's films or games, says to me that there isn't much creativity left.

If there's a bunch extras just sitting around it would practically be a shame not to roll them into a remaster, which I would buy.

Skyrim was mostly unplayable until the Special Edition dropped. I have been enjoying it for years and continue to play it. A remaster with new-to-me content is more than welcome, and if they put some balance on the game mechanics and fix some exploits that's just icing on the cake. I would expect FSR and DLSS to come with it.

View attachment 387451

Hahaha. :) Well I guess if they do not charge full price for those that own all the original content then it will be fine.
They do say at the bottom of the press release that there will be an AE upgrade for existing owners to purchase, so I assume that it will be priced accordingly.

Note that all current owners get the fishing, survival mode, and the "Saints and Seducers" quests for no additional cost. And console owners of the Special Edition get the Gen 9 graphical upgrades for free, as well. Which means SKSE is going to break yet again...

I've put about 200 hours into Enderal SE over the last few weeks, so much better than Skyrim in many ways.

The Deck uses an AMD APU, so...

The game is ancient from a tech perspective, I'm sure even with the update. Any decent modern GPU will run it just fine without any tricks. It's how it will run on integrated graphics that's more important today.

Jirard did a new completionist playthrough, this time on PC with mods.
I'm glad he hit the Legend of the Dragonborn mod. That thing is a blackhole for completionists.

They really should just keep the current release of Skyrim on the "beta" channel in steam so people who don't want the mod breaking patch can keep their current version without issue.

They really should just keep the current release of Skyrim on the "beta" channel in steam so people who don't want the mod breaking patch can keep their current version without issue.
Well they should've just released the AE as a separate game on Steam like they did with the LE vs SE. Everything would've been fine.
Or they could've just left everything alone, and released the AE as a DLC (mod) file that gets added to your load order. Then everyone could just disable it, if they wanted to, and it wouldn't break the game. It would just be another mod.

The content is going to be added to the game through one of those archives anyway, including the Creation Club mod pack. They could've just neatly bundled it all into one package. But they decided to fuck the whole game up in the process.

They don't have the luxury of people wanting to switch over to SE because of all the gameplay fixes. Skyrim, when it was published for PC, was unplayable.

Skyrim SE, with all of its patches, community fixes, and mods, is great. No incentive to switch.

They need to force the change or no one will use it, and the modders won't update their content.

They don't have the luxury of people wanting to switch over to SE because of all the gameplay fixes. Skyrim, when it was published for PC, was unplayable.

Skyrim SE, with all of its patches, community fixes, and mods, is great. No incentive to switch.

They need to force the change or no one will use it, and the modders won't update their content.

I kind of wonder if they want to make life harder for the Script Extender team... make them play catch up all the time so that they just give up.

I kind of wonder if they want to make life harder for the Script Extender team... make them play catch up all the time so that they just give up.

I think they know they need that mod and community support. Because like I was saying, people wouldn't bother trying out their updated version given the choice of SE+mods or 10 with limited mods. While it's going to suck for a while for the mod community, I really am expecting a much improved base game.

They didn't need a stick with SE is all. It was a big enough carrot.

Base Skyrim was really, really bad. I think I played it for maybe one session, gave up, waited for some people to come up with .ini tweak guides, got it running with a PC keyboard and mouse, and it still looked like garbage. Anyone else remember the shadows tick across the screen like a second hand?

I bought it launch day and played it heavily until SWTOR came out about 6 weeks later. Finished main quest, did a bunch of side stuff. Don’t recall ever having any issues that made it unplayable.

I may give AE a try on the Xbox first though. See how it looks on the big screen in 4k. Though kind of fear similiar results to trying ESO again. Controller just didn’t feel natural for it and quickly went on back to PC.

Don’t recall ever having any issues that made it unplayable.

The mouse input drew straight from USB so Razer mice did about 15 360s if you moved them more than an inch at a time, and the original shadows were all kinds of messed up, on AMD and Nvidia. Nvidia put out some drivers that fixed things but you could literally still watch the shadows tick-tock across the backgrounds. They were also all console port shadows that were huge, rectangular, and jaggy. Killed the immersion for me. All of the launch textures were tiny.

If you get bored, reinstall the original PC version. I'll bet even with a literal decade of patching, it'll suck. It's like trying to play Oblivion again. Oof. I know it was entirely ground-breaking at the time, but yeesh. No thank you, I'll just wait for Skyblivion.

Last edited:
https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/article/5esC91g2ABY1jQ97uq39zW/skyrim-anniversary-edition-faq

• The MSRP for the Skyrim Anniversary Edition on digital storefronts will be USD $49.99
  • If you already own Skyrim Special Edition, the MSRP for the Anniversary Upgrade on digital storefronts will be USD $19.99
Also it turns out the Saints and Seducers, Rare Curios, Survival Mode, and Fishing are all free for existing SSE owners.
https://hardforum.com/threads/skyrim-anniversary-edition.2014540/

I'm having poor results with the Nvidia SSRTGI and SSAO filters in Skyrim when combined with Win11 Auto HDR. Has anyone else tried that combo? If I just use Auto HDR it looks good, but if I enable those new filters on top of it everything looks washed out, especially in the distance. For an example, when first escaping Helgen and getting on the road outside you have a good view of the mountains and bleak falls barrow in the distance, with Auto HDR and the filters that is completely washed out and not visible. This is a fresh install with only Skyrim Script Extender installed (was going to start modding but this is as far as I got).

If this is just the way it is I'm inclined to use Auto HDR and not the filers, even though reading about SSRTGI was the reason I reinstalled Skyrim in the first place. Auto HDR on it's own works great and SSRTGI has a pretty big performance penalty.

Back