The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (free if you own the Legendary Edition)

I think you had to have the original, plus the DLC to get the SE for free. There may have also been a time limit on when you could do that, but I'm not sure. (like if you had the main game, but then bought the DLC now, maybe it wouldn't work or something) I don't remember the specifics. It just showed up in Steam for me when it was released.

Yeah, you had to have all the DLC and I'm not sure if that still applies today...my guess is that was a temporary deal.

The free promotion was only for the first month, if I remember correctly, and you had to have all the DLC or the Legendary Edition to qualify. You could have purchased the DLC you were missing within the promotional timeframe to get it.

It appears to cost money?

Yeah, not sure what, exactly, "free for one week after launch" implies. I suppose, as part of their "Creation Club," this stuff will all cost money.

Damn, it's been nearly 6 years. Just make another ES game already, instead of finding new ways to charge for the old one.

I don't mind paying for good DLC, or maybe even a HUGE overhaul type mod maybe, but I have zero use for a paid "Survival Mode".

I am over Bethesda games. Fallout 4 just further proved they have no creativity and no drive for innovation left -- just rehash the same shit over and over again with some new textures.
They were fun and novel when they were the only Open-World RPGs around. Now, with actual competition around, they have to resort to microtransaction bullshit to fleece their existing playerbase because they know they cannot compete with a new ES game. Sigh.

I am over Bethesda games. Fallout 4 just further proved they have no creativity and no drive for innovation left -- just rehash the same shit over and over again with some new textures.
They were fun and novel when they were the only Open-World RPGs around. Now, with actual competition around, they have to resort to microtransaction bullshit to fleece their existing playerbase because they know they cannot compete with a new ES game. Sigh.

I've lost all interest in them over the last month. I actually cancelled my Wolf 2 preorder as well, which I was really looking forward to. Might still get it, but right now I'm not feeling like supporting anything with Bethesdas name on it.

I've lost all interest in them over the last month. I actually cancelled my Wolf 2 preorder as well, which I was really looking forward to. Might still get it, but right now I'm not feeling like supporting anything with Bethesdas name on it.

Wolfenstein is not made by Bethesda (studio) at all. They publish it, so what? If they didn't, some other scumbag publisher like Activision, EA, Ubi, etc. might. I mean id could stand on their own really, but I do think it would be hard for them as a larger studio now to go back to independent publishing. id software and Machine Games make the new Wolfenstein games, and IMO both are still incredible companies. They may have lost a little bit of that "all star cast" appeal of the 90s, but they still do some pretty fucking incredible work. Discounting it because Bethesda gets a splash screen on their games is a bit silly.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Wolfenstein is not made by Bethesda (studio) at all. They publish it, so what? If they didn't, some other scumbag publisher like Activision, EA, Ubi, etc. might. I mean id could stand on their own really, but I do think it would be hard for them as a larger studio now to go back to independent publishing. id software and Machine Games make the new Wolfenstein games, and IMO both are still incredible companies. They may have lost a little bit of that "all star cast" appeal of the 90s, but they still do some pretty fucking incredible work. Discounting it because Bethesda gets a splash screen on their games is a bit silly.

I know it's by Machine Games, Bethesda still gets money off it and they are a scumbag publisher just like EA and Ubisoft. Realistically though it is actually Zenimax making all the shit decisions for Bethesda, I highly doubt Bethesda devs want a Creation Club.

I probably will get Wolf2, the reason I cancelled my preorder is I usually don't preorder games and I'm kind of irritated with Bethesda. Then them tweeting out to nominate the game for some award when we didn't even play it yet.

Last edited:
Wolfenstein is not made by Bethesda (studio) at all. They publish it, so what? If they didn't, some other scumbag publisher like Activision, EA, Ubi, etc. might. I mean id could stand on their own really, but I do think it would be hard for them as a larger studio now to go back to independent publishing.

Ninja Theory managed to do it...I think id could handle it.

I guess it's more problematic with Wolf 2 being released on the Switch, though.

I know it's by Machine Games, Bethesda still gets money off it and they are a scumbag publisher just like EA and Ubisoft. Realistically though it is actually Zenimax making all the shit decisions for Bethesda, I highly doubt Bethesda devs want a Creation Club.

I probably will get Wolf2, the reason I cancelled my preorder is I usually don't preorder games and I'm kind of irritated with Bethesda. Then them tweeting out to nominate the game for some award when we didn't even play it yet.

You're of course totally free to do that. Not going to argue against your opinion. I've just seen a lot of people refer to many id games (and some Arkane even) as Bethesda games lately, and I'm never sure if people think BethSoft is actually making them. (I don't assume that was the case with you even, but I thought I'd at least post a sort of clarification just in case. :D

I don't even really hate Bethesda Softworks. I think they do what they do pretty well, and not a lot (though there are a few) of companies really do what they do. Sure their in-house engines have historically had their issues on occasion, their writing is a bit bland, their characters fairly generic, etc. etc. but fact is there aren't a lot of other companies making worlds that size (except CDProjekt Red for example). I think with Bethesda games you kind of have to make your own fun, more than be led to it via deeply woven stories. There's a time and a place for it, but I can also see how someone that played them a lot will eventually get tired of it, and want something more like the Witcher, Divinity:OS, Ultima even (if we can go classic). Or maybe something else entirely. I had fun in Oblivion and Skyrim. Had some fun in Fallout 3 (haven't played much of 4 really) but I definitely went off the beaten path, and just kind of wandered the worlds like Cain from Kung Fu (if I may...) :D

I don't even really hate Bethesda Softworks. I think they do what they do pretty well, and not a lot (though there are a few) of companies really do what they do. Sure their in-house engines have historically had their issues on occasion, their writing is a bit bland, their characters fairly generic, etc. etc. but fact is there aren't a lot of other companies making worlds that size (except CDProjekt Red for example). I think with Bethesda games you kind of have to make your own fun, more than be led to it via deeply woven stories. There's a time and a place for it, but I can also see how someone that played them a lot will eventually get tired of it, and want something more like the Witcher, Divinity:OS, Ultima even (if we can go classic). Or maybe something else entirely. I had fun in Oblivion and Skyrim. Had some fun in Fallout 3 (haven't played much of 4 really) but I definitely went off the beaten path, and just kind of wandered the worlds like Cain from Kung Fu (if I may...) :D

Yea I don't really hate them, always liked their games and got a significant value out of them. 1297 hours in Skyrim, 1000 or so hours in Fallout 3 (lost track because mods don't add to play time), 100s of hours of Morrowind and Oblivion and SSE. FO4 I only got around 200 hours out of and not sure if I will play it again, never ended up finishing it. I just hope Bethesda's push at the Creation Club doesn't have any effect on the modding scene. It's bad enough that SKSE/FOSE need to be updated every time they add a skin to the Creation Club. Which so far it seems like it is every few weeks, I can imagine it eventually causing issues for the modding community, unless Valve reenables disabling updates on specific games on Steam.

Ninja Theory managed to do it...I think id could handle it.

I guess it's more problematic with Wolf 2 being released on the Switch, though.

I think they could manage, and it may even do them good in some ways, but I don't know what their full situation is. It seems like some of the studios under Bethesda do actually benefit being under one company. (seems like the id tech engine has made its rounds in various forms, id helped BethSoft tune their shooting mechanics a bit in FO4, etc. and if Machine Games wasn't handling the Wolfenstein games, I'm sure they'd still be amazing shooters, but the stories and characters wouldn't be developed the way they have been)

I think they could manage, and it may even do them good in some ways, but I don't know what their full situation is. It seems like some of the studios under Bethesda do actually benefit being under one company. (seems like the id tech engine has made its rounds in various forms, id helped BethSoft tune their shooting mechanics a bit in FO4, etc. and if Machine Games wasn't handling the Wolfenstein games, I'm sure they'd still be amazing shooters, but the stories and characters wouldn't be developed the way they have been)

Yeah, it's hard to say. I do commend Ninja Theory though and I hope other developers attempt the same in the future, I think it would be really good for the industry as a whole.

Kind of like musicians moving away from big record labels and going independent.

Yeah, it's hard to say. I do commend Ninja Theory though and I hope other developers attempt the same in the future, I think it would be really good for the industry as a whole.

Kind of like musicians moving away from big record labels and going independent.

Yeah, I actually can't wait to play Hellblade. I still haven't picked it up because I've been low on game time over the last few weeks. Should be back on the up-tick again though shortly. I've still been playing my 2D games here and there (I've noticed that the little indie devs actually do cool things like provide proper save features, that make it easy to play in doses. :D ) Haven't had big enough blocks of time to dig into something bigger though yet.

Yeah, I actually can't wait to play Hellblade. I still haven't picked it up because I've been low on game time over the last few weeks. Should be back on the up-tick again though shortly. I've still been playing my 2D games here and there (I've noticed that the little indie devs actually do cool things like provide proper save features, that make it easy to play in doses. :D ) Haven't had big enough blocks of time to dig into something bigger though yet.

Same here, definitely going to pick it up but the backlog is real...

And life stuff, as you say.

So I'm not a fan of the Skyrim mob auto leveling system. Any SE mods that disable that or perhaps overhauls/re-balances to make it more of a traditional leveling system?

So I'm not a fan of the Skyrim mob auto leveling system. Any SE mods that disable that or perhaps overhauls/re-balances to make it more of a traditional leveling system?
It's been so long since I've played, but I certainly remember being unhappy not with only the auto leveling, but the general ease at which you can really beat anything. If I recall correctly, the PISE mod took care of all that. P_______ Improved Skyrim Experience. I can't remember what the p stands for though. That and deadly dragons. I'm not sure if it actually removed the auto leveling, but it certainly was what I used to make the game a challenge. I rember dying to mudcrabs as a new character if I was not cautious lol it also made npcs use health potions and such.

I've been long planning another moding and replay whenever I get around to upgrading my mobo/cpu, so if you check these out let me know what ya think!

I know there were mods for Oblivion that replaced the level scaled enemies with fixed ones. I have not looked into them for Skyrim, to be honest, but I'm sure there are some out there.

I just checked out the top 100 mods on NM and there was nothing for SE listed. I would expect something like this to at least be top 100.

It is probably lower down in the list if there is one. Most people are fine with Skyrim's scaling because it is less intense than Oblivion's. In Obllivion, everything scaled relative to your level, period. So the guards were always more powerful than you, and you could encounter bandits in full Daedric armor at high levels. In Skyrim, the scaling is range limited. Some things don't scale at all, like giants, some things have a range of scaling where it is like "this dungeon will be level 10-20" so if you are outside of that range it is capped to whatever is nearest. Some things like dragons, just more get introduced so higher level dragons are capped by your level, they don't appear till you are higher but lower level ones can still show up.

At any rate someone might have made a mod but because the scaling is improved, I don't think it is nearly as popular as something like OOO for Oblivion.

You need to go here to Special Edition Nexus
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/?
Yep, that's where I am looking. I do see some that adjust the enemy scaling by making more high level mobs available but that's not really what I'm after.

I did just find one that might be what I'm looking for. Sounds like it makes the different regions their own difficulty based on where you should be accessing them during the story. Reading on it now. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8536/?

Yep, that's where I am looking. I do see some that adjust the enemy scaling by making more high level mobs available but that's not really what I'm after.

I did just find one that might be what I'm looking for. Sounds like it makes the different regions their own difficulty based on where you should be accessing them during the story. Reading on it now. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8536/?

Oh ok, I missed your previous post, I thought you were having problems finding SE mods.

That mod sounds really cool actually. I wonder if he's added any in-game indicators as to what level mob you're engaging

Thinking about revisiting this game. Looks like I have a "High resolution texture pack" from 2012 as a free DLC. Is this 'Special Edition' worth picking up over that? I would probably be rolling vanilla like I played five or six years ago so mods are less of an issue.

Well.. I take that back.. I may go investigate environment mods assuming they don't break my ability to get achievements and what not.

Last edited:
Thinking about revisiting this game. Looks like I have a "High resolution texture pack" from 2012 as a free DLC. Is this 'Special Edition' worth picking up over that? I would probably be rolling vanilla like I played five or six years ago so mods are less of an issue.

Well.. I take that back.. I may go investigate environment mods assuming they don't break my ability to get achievements and what not.
The SE runs on DX11 and on 64-bit, and is overall smoother as a result. This also gets rid of the VRAM limitation if you're not on Windows 10 1709. The stock assets in the SE look a lot better than original with the high res texture pack, plus you get the benefit of DX11 effects. But the game is still limited to 60 FPS and still has the 64 Hz bug, in addition to all of the bugs that were present in the final build of the original. Meaning you'll want to get the SE versions of the unofficial patches.

That said, I'd only buy when it's on sale for like $15 if you have the original and didn't get the SE while it was free. Looks like it's $20 right now on Steam.

I made the mistake of downloading Skyrim SE again last Friday. I've spend hours getting mods set up and have about 15 minutes of actual game time.

I just downloaded Skyriim SE, went looking for mods, noticed how many I want are still missing, and re-downloaded Oldrim. Modding today...

CC is not that bad right now. The bad part is that their new game will be crowded with it on launch.

I've been playing the shit out of this recently, 150+ hours logged since December.
LOTD SSE version 5 was just released (not a port) and is frankly one of the best mods of all time.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802

First thing I noticed in SSE was the shadow time intervals being fixed, the gorgeous god rays & volumetric lighting. BethINI has really nice presets to max the game out appropriately. Hanging on to 4K 60fps just barely!

I've been playing the shit out of this recently, 150+ hours logged since December.
LOTD SSE version 5 was just released (not a port) and is frankly one of the best mods of all time.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802

First thing I noticed in SSE was the shadow time intervals being fixed, the gorgeous god rays & volumetric lighting. BethINI has really nice presets to max the game out appropriately. Hanging on to 4K 60fps just barely!
Looks like a great mod I'll have to use on my next playthrough, thanks!

Back