The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind - A New Chapter in Vvardenfell

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bethesda is hoping that nostalgia will reel Elder Scrolls fans back to their MMORPG. Launching in June, gamers will be able to return to the home of the Dark Elves in the Morrowind expansion. Isn’t $40 a little high for 30 hours of questing content, though? There is a new class and new PVP Battlegrounds, however. Thanks to Kyle for this one.

In celebration of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind’s 15-year anniversary, we look ahead to the next chapter in Vvardenfell’s story. Set 700 years before the events of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, you’ll help the demi-god Vivec ensure that the Morrowind you remember comes to be. Watch our latest video to find out why Elder Scrolls fans are so excited to rediscover the home of the Dark Elves, and prepare for your return to the island of Vvardenfell with The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind on June 6. The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind will be available on PC, Mac, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on June 6, 2017.

While I do find Morrowind's history particularly fascinating in the Elder Scrolls universe, I would be more interested if the expansion took place in the current timeline after the moon fell and devastated the region. I'd rather have a single player experience for the narration of the past.

I know what will lure me back to Tamriel, a NON MMO game.
Indeed. Going by history we're past due for a new main entry Elder Scrolls game. I wonder if the delay is because Bethesda is creating a new engine? Wishful thinking...

$40 for 30 hours doesn't seem high to me. It just matters to me if it is good or not. For that I am going to wait and see. I will say that I hated TES:O originally, but I do enjoy logging in now from time to time and just screwing around and going places. The auto-leveling patch went a long way toward making the game feel more Elder Scrolls-y. That being said, I got the game on a supper discount, and I don't think I will pay full price for the Morrowind expansion even if it is good.

Why do companies like this over-think their product line????

Just give a buggy as shit but awesome open world game with a good story and a bunch of crap to take my mind off the crippling depression that reality is and I'll throw my money at you.

MMOs are fine for shut-ins who's only social interaction is via the WoW auction house, but I deal with people for 9 hours a day. I'm done with people when I get home. I want fake people who try to murder me after I accidentally steal a wooden plate off their table.

When I glanced over this thread's title and its opening sentence, for a moment I thought Bethesda was putting out a new expansion for the original Morrowind, and that is what I was hoping for.

This actually just makes me want to load up the classic Morrowind instead, and dress it up with a bunch of mods of course.

Think of all the awesome KoTOR games we could have got if BioWare hadn't sunk a few hundred million into their bloody MMO.

To be fair, they started a new studio for The Old Republic and they had enough money, EA just made them a great deal.

ESO isn't too bad for a MMO. I'm a solo player and liked it well enough. I won't be picking up the expansion. Mainly because I have too many other games and things to do.
I would also prefer a new non mmo game from them. And I want it to cover more than one region.

To be fair, they started a new studio for The Old Republic and they had enough money, EA just made them a great deal.

Ya, but they syphoned off a bunch of BioWare talent (writers and whatnot) away from other projects. Drew Karpyshyn was lead writer for Mass Effect 1 & 2 and he left to work on TOR... and we got Mass Effect 3...

No interest in MMO's. Loved Skyrim. Can I have another Skyrim plztohalp?

Eso has become a very great mmo for single player lovers too. The expansion is morrowind, 3 new battlegrounds with 3 modes each, a new raid, and a new class. It also is buy to play now, so you don't have to subscribe (sub is mainly aimed at vets).

Worth every penny. Eso has sold over 7 million copies now as of awhile back, and is thriving.

Why do companies like this over-think their product line????

Just give a buggy as shit but awesome open world game with a good story and a bunch of crap to take my mind off the crippling depression that reality is and I'll throw my money at you.

MMOs are fine for shut-ins who's only social interaction is via the WoW auction house, but I deal with people for 9 hours a day. I'm done with people when I get home. I want fake people who try to murder me after I accidentally steal a wooden plate off their table.
Methinks you already would love Elder scrolls online then.

I was really hoping that they would release a standalone game for each province over the years. Then, release a game that covered the entire realm of Tamriel. This of course being single player. I was disappointed to find out they were doing a MMO. I figured, there went the chance of a single player exploration of Tamriel.

I was really hoping that they would release a standalone game for each province over the years. Then, release a game that covered the entire realm of Tamriel. This of course being single player. I was disappointed to find out they were doing a MMO. I figured, there went the chance of a single player exploration of Tamriel.
You do know the very first game in the series spanned all of Tamriel, right? You can get the full game for free.

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/arena/

But I would like to see a modern single player game span the entire continent, as well. All of those border crossings in Skyrim and Oblivion sure are tantalizing.

/wonders if the people in this thread think every mmo is like World of Warcraft.

When you get right down to it they're all structured the same way.
Some, but not all. Certain things such as repeatable content are key to all of them, but the way they're played varies drastically. Eso plays nothing at all like wow. Comparing the two is like comparing counter strike to quake 3 arena.

Morrowind in name, pre ordered collectors edition. Everytime an elder scrolls game is released people scream coop. Give them coop they scream but mah single player. Come on enjoy the damn medium.

Making another fucking SINGLE PLAYER ELDER SCROLLS GAME, Bethesda.

Do it. Right now, I'll wait.

This actually just makes me want to load up the classic Morrowind instead, and dress it up with a bunch of mods of course.

With mods it looks almost as good as the newer ones. Distant land, shaders, etc.

Morrowind remains the best in the series and one of my favorite games of all time. Oblivion and Skyrim are fun, but dumbed down, and the scale of the world feels way off (especially in Oblivion). Morrowind had a greater sense of scale. More dialog (it was almost all text), more secrets, and it really felt like exploring a new land and culture.

Morrowind in name, pre ordered collectors edition. Everytime an elder scrolls game is released people scream coop.

Who? It's the same whiny console people who never made it out of Seyda Neen and cried that the game was too hard. Fuck those people.

I play ESO. Very skeptical about 4v4v4 battlegrounds. I played Daggerfall, Oblivion, and Skyrim previously, but never Morrowind, so I don't have the nostalgia thing going on here. I eventually pre-ordered though.

"Hopefully its worth it." - truism for every pre-order ever.

ESO is a good casual game. I kinda want a more hard-core MMO though, like Everquest 1 was back in the day. I think McQuaid is making one that I'll check out. Now that I'm older, I'll probably be a perma-noob in that game, due to gameplay time constraints, but I don't care, I don't like when MMORPGs hand you everything on a silver platter. For some reason in other genres (like Planetside 2) I'm more OK with it.

EODetroit, I wouldn't say it is "casual" since the endgame material is very competitive for trial leader boards, vma leader board, and organized Pvp in cyrodiil. It's no more casual than wow ever was in the old days before that game from what I have heard of wow (I never got too into wow).

With mods it looks almost as good as the newer ones. Distant land, shaders, etc.

Morrowind remains the best in the series and one of my favorite games of all time. Oblivion and Skyrim are fun, but dumbed down, and the scale of the world feels way off (especially in Oblivion). Morrowind had a greater sense of scale. More dialog (it was almost all text), more secrets, and it really felt like exploring a new land and culture.

Who? It's the same whiny console people who never made it out of Seyda Neen and cried that the game was too hard. Fuck those people.

Amen, Morrowind was by far the best game in the series. Oblivion was passable but level scaling and small size killed it. Skyrim was basically same thing, bland characters and quests. That was the only TES I didn't finish. I loaded up Morrowind again not too long ago and installed a revamp mod and it looks pretty good. Much more fun to explore and I still found new things. In regards of level scaling Bethesda did it way better in Fallout 4 for comparison sake.

EODetroit, I wouldn't say it is "casual" since the endgame material is very competitive for trial leader boards, vma leader board, and organized Pvp in cyrodiil. It's no more casual than wow ever was in the old days before that game from what I have heard of wow (I never got too into wow).

WoW was instanced, EQ1 was not. HUGE difference, if you weren't competitive you couldn't even get to a boss to kill it. EQ1 was EVE-like.

WoW was instanced, EQ1 was not. HUGE difference, if you weren't competitive you couldn't even get to a boss to kill it. EQ1 was EVE-like.
I played eq1 back in the day.... Not likely we will see that level of hardcore in any major game again. It isn't popular enough nowadays.

Back