The Egg has the i5/i7 in stock.....

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
The 860 is $299. Yow!!! I may have to wait a few weeks.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed by the 860 price. And I couldn't find any Asus P55 moboards. Oh well, it's literally the first few minutes in a new era of pc hardware (in a manner of speaking). It looks like it's going to take a little while for all the new stuff to become available and for the prices to "settle down" -- as would be expected.

CB

Maybe they're trying to make the 860 price look good by comparison. And the 870 costs $30 more at TigerDirect.

CB

Odd pricing between the 860 and 870 I wonder who came up with those numbers wow:eek:

Yah, the difference between the 870 and the 860 is 133 MHz, that's it, and the price doubles. I could understand a few hundred MHz, like a 2.26 vs a 3 GHz model or whatever, but... 2.8 to 2.93 GHz for double the price? Come on... at first I thought it might be a multiplier thing meaning one is more overclockable than the other but, the 860 is 21x and the 870 is 22x so nothing major there.

I really have no idea what those Intel "rock stars" are smoking... perhaps crack rock, who knows... :)

I've got a Micro Center nearby, and I've got to decide between the 860 at $229 or the 920 at $200. I need some 1156 motherboard reviews before pulling the trigger.

anyone shocked by the 860 vs 870 prices needs to go back and remember EVERY intel cpu release ever. Specifically Q9550 vs Q9650 or Q6600 vs Q6700. This price gap is nothing new. There is usually a $200+ price jump for only a fraction of the speed when it comes to the second best and best(nonextreme) cpus by intel.

i5 doesn't have HT, which is a bummer.

So that makes 860 the cheapest Lynnfield with HT, or lowest clock for it's class similar to 920. 870 is a mere step up, similar to 940. Nothing really changed here.

I expect most people go for 860 as it's the cheapest i7. Yorkfield to i5 is more like a downgrade.

There's nothing absolutely compelling about the new i5 and the new i7 additions to the Core lineup that is a must-have for most anyone. Personally, for myself and my plans, I'll still grab a 920 at some point later this year with a nice Gigabyte mobo that'll handle 24GB of DDR3 in triple channel because I plan on creating a monster x264 crunching box. I'm considering just making it a dual Xeon box (Nehalem powered, of course) and saying "What the fuck..." so I don't have to worry about building another machine of such caliber for a few years. The removal of triple channel support isn't a concern for the majority of folks that may have never noticed it to begin with, but I'm not one of those folks.

I would say to anyone if you're happy with whatever Core 2 Quad you currently have, or an i7 even, stick with it unless you have some pressing desire to feed that addiction known as "Upgraditis" where you just have to keep getting the latest and greatest. :)

There's a small amount of power savings, roughly the same/similar performance, but the cost is greater in the sense that you'll have to get a new mobo for the Socket 1156 stuff.

I'd say right now today most people are going to be content right where they are. If they've had intentions of waiting on the i5/i7 new stuff, well, it's here, get to it. :)

So a significant gain in power savings and better Turbo mode isn't compelling?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634

I agree that if you've already got an i7 there isn't much there, but for people still on LGA775 these are pretty fascinating developments, I'd definitely consider a Lynnfield now.

I'm still running on Socket 939 and the power savings are looking good to me. I'm strongly considering the 860...

I bought an i5 750 and a Gigabyte P55-UD3R from Frys in Wilsonville, Oregon last night for $205 and $135 respectively. I think I may order a different motherboard and return this one unopened.

I'm running a Q9450 I got over 14 months ago and I'm still not really seeing anything that would justify the cost of a cpu/motherboard/ram upgrade.

300$ is more then a 920 (and if i'm understanding this correctly worse), why not just grab an 920.

I agree 100% with getting a 920 because of the price over the 860. Why not grab a 920 and get the extra memory channel for less money? The extra channel is helpful because you can load it up with 12GB of memory relatively cheap (the jump from 2gb module to 4gb is steep).

i5 doesn't have HT, which is a bummer.

So that makes 860 the cheapest Lynnfield with HT, or lowest clock for it's class similar to 920. 870 is a mere step up, similar to 940. Nothing really changed here.

I expect most people go for 860 as it's the cheapest i7. Yorkfield to i5 is more like a downgrade.

I have a Q6600 right now and if I were to upgrade, I would definitely want Hyperthreading. Sucks they disabled it on the i5.

Back