The Duke Nukem Release Date Debacle

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just over a week ago we linked a story from the Dallas Business Journal that claimed Duke Nukem Forever was confirmed for 2008. 3D Realms took issue with the story calling the DBJ lying bastards. The newspaper changed the original story, removing the “confirmed” and posted an audio clip of 3D Realms clearly saying the game “might” make it in 08. Next Generation did a great job summing up the whole ordeal in one neat and tidy article. Hit the link for all the details.

Following the report, Next-Gen contacted 3D Realms’ boss Scott Miller promptly for confirmation. What we got was a one-line e-mail from the always-outspoken Miller: “Quite simply, they are lying bastards and they know it.” During the course of the day, the DBJ updated its story, removing the “confirmed” line and scaled back the statement, saying Duke Nukem Forever is “possible” in 2008, and noted the story’s update.

Didn't I pre-order this from EBGames 10 years ago when it had a confirmed date? :confused:

I was going to say, hasn't this been the case for the last what...decade.. hell half the people i know don't even know duke nukem anymore...

I was going to say, hasn't this been the case for the last what...decade.. hell half the people i know don't even know duke nukem anymore...

Maybe that's what 3drealms is betting on? They realize that the game can never live up to the hype anymore so they want to keep delaying it until gamers forget about it. When it's finally release all the younger gamers will think it's awesome (even if it's not).

Of course, this is all wild speculation on my part.

The first few levels require a 3Dfx Voodoo2 card to play. As you play further into the game, you have to upgrade your computer to correspond to the technology that level was made in.

And the other half just don't give a shit anymore (if they ever did). Hell, 3DR probably likes making the top of the yearly vaporware lists all the time.

Even though this game is taking its sweet ass time to come out and will defenitely not live up to the hype, I was a big Duke Nukem fan in the old days and still think this game will be fun to play and will buy it the day it comes out. I could really care less when it comes out as its been over 10 years of waiting now, but still would like it to come out so its finally done and a new game can come be the next all time vaporware:p

The first few levels require a 3Dfx Voodoo2 card to play. As you play further into the game, you have to upgrade your computer to correspond to the technology that level was made in.

Yeah but the real problem is finding that my win98se cd so I can load the beast up. :D

The whole story sounds like yet another publicity stunt by 3DR.At this point who knows if this game will ever get released.It's really the only thing they have to draw attention to themselves.

I admit, I've never played Duke Nukem. The first game I've ever played was Mixed up Mother Goose. The first real game I've ever played was Mechwarrior 2. The first real FPS I've ever played was Half-Life. That said, what's so great about Duke Nukem? For years and years I've been hearing a few people rave about how great it was. I mean, it can't be much better than say "Wolfenstien 3D" can it?(That's another game from the era, right?) Maybe for some it was one of the first decent looking 3D FPS games out there, and there's just a lot of nostalgia for these folks when it comes to DN. I really can't imagine it being better than the original Half-Life or UT though, and I'm not talking about graphics.

LMFAO!! OMG that is SO funny! Thanks for that one.

I admit, I've never played Duke Nukem. The first game I've ever played was Mixed up Mother Goose. The first real game I've ever played was Mechwarrior 2. The first real FPS I've ever played was Half-Life. That said, what's so great about Duke Nukem? For years and years I've been hearing a few people rave about how great it was. I mean, it can't be much better than say "Wolfenstien 3D" can it?(That's another game from the era, right?) Maybe for some it was one of the first decent looking 3D FPS games out there, and there's just a lot of nostalgia for these folks when it comes to DN. I really can't imagine it being better than the original Half-Life or UT though, and I'm not talking about graphics.

It was better than Wolf3D, Wolf3d was older. Duke did have better graphics, more interacive enviroments, and better storylines. Duke was fun also because Duke was a womanizer and a smart-ass, he did talk. Duke was older than the first Half-life and Unreal. You can equate Duke with the original Doom since they were both released around the same time.

The concept of Duke Nuken with 3d graphics made people like me really super excited back in the day, I will pick it up if it ever does come out. I even finished the side-scrolling Duke in Manhatten game..

The Duke had a personality. That's what separated him from the other FPS characters.

Duke was one of the first games to have great multiplayer in addition to a really fun single-player campaign.

Weapons like the freeze ray (freeze your enemy, kick them to splinters), shrink ray (shrink them and squash them) and laser trip mines made this game so fun to play with seven other friends, and map layout was decent. It was a LAN party favorite back when my buddies and I were still using coax and BNC connectors.

Half-Life came later than Duke, so it isn't a real comparison, and its hardware requirements were stiffer. You could play Duke3D on a 486DX/4-120 and it would run well.

Duke was one of the first games to have great multiplayer in addition to a really fun single-player campaign.

Weapons like the freeze ray (freeze your enemy, kick them to splinters), shrink ray (shrink them and squash them) and laser trip mines made this game so fun to play with seven other friends, and map layout was decent. It was a LAN party favorite back when my buddies and I were still using coax and BNC connectors.

Half-Life came later than Duke, so it isn't a real comparison, and its hardware requirements were stiffer. You could play Duke3D on a 486DX/4-120 and it would run well.

Duke was a rare game that had style. The attitude and style was dead on. That and all the reasons LoneWolf said above. The multiplayer was excellent and it was my first time ever playing mutliplayer fps.

lol, we have a winner, the truth is, the lan was great, but otherwise it was just a shooter whos only claim to fame was some pixel boobs and churlish one liners, funny back in the day when i was teenager, now just tired and played out, which is of course why they can't seem to squeeze a new flagship out of it. Not enough there to build from. It just wasnt that good.

LMFAO!! OMG that is SO funny! Thanks for that one.

He's not kidding. The game ships with a motherboard that has 8 PCI slots, AGP 1X,2X,4X, and 8X slots, and 2 PCI-e X16 slots.

System Requirements:

Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz. Need to change multiplier for each level. (starting at 1X to 9X)
1 512MB module per 4 levels.

Video cards required
Matrox Millenium II PCI with Voodoo2 SLI, Matrox G200 AGP, Voodoo 3 3000PCI, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, GeForce 256, DDR, 2 (non-mx), 3, 4, Skip 5, 6, 7 and 8800.

That actually would make for a funny game. Not where you had to change parts per say, but where the first level was about Atari quality, the next NES, the next SNES/Genisis,... all the way up to current graphics. Don't think it would be funny for Duke Nukem, but for some other game that had a story line where related to being stuck in old games (or the past) and having to may your way back to the current day. With each level advancing you through time a few years.

Didn't I pre-order this from EBGames 10 years ago when it had a confirmed date? :confused:

sorry man if you are kidding on the square, but I am LMAO :p

the greatest vaopr-ware evah!

your check is in the mail...and i will just put the head in...:eek:

Back in the day, I think Shadow Warrior was more fun than Duke3D... the one-liners were just as good.

Sticky bomb like you!

Blood was another good one, with a morbid twist to it. I loved walking around with the beating heart in my hand as a weapon. :cool:

Back in the day, I think Shadow Warrior was more fun than Duke3D... the one-liners were just as good.

Sticky bomb like you!

Blood was another good one, with a morbid twist to it. I loved walking around with the beating heart in my hand as a weapon. :cool:

ROFL! Almost forgot about that game. "Nobody mess .... with Lo Wang" lol

Loved the freeze ray in duke. Then when your enemy (i.e. your buddy your playing over the local lan) is frozen you stick a trip bomb on him. As soon as he thawes....seeya!!!

Frikkin golden. I still have my Voodoo2 SLI so I don't have to skip ahead.

Awesome!

ROFLMAO.

Sadly, I think a few levels is all there is. They've been redoing the same few levels over and over for the last 10 years. They've got the same 3 levels almost running on every major graphics engine from the last decade. Now they'll need to rewire it to run under the Crysis engine.

Sticky bomb like you!

"You want to wash wang or watch Wang wash wang?" -said to the naked girl in the waterfall

According to the lnked mp3 file the new id game rage is slated for this year. Thought that was gonna be like 2009 at the earliest.

Actually just listened to that again, i thought initially that was an activision rep saying rage was slated for this year, turns out it was the guy asking the questions. =/

Suppose rage will be the id "when its done" mantra.

I'd say I enjoyed Shadow Warrior as much as Duke Nukem, but I've never coop'ed in Shadow Warrior.

"It's down to you and me Mr. FRY!!!!!" *starts stabbing at the air with chop sticks*

Blood was awesome. What language were those cultists speaking anyway? I can still hear them shouting in my head.

They've been stringing people along with the promise of this incredible game...then every few years put out a viable product to let people know they are still around.

Duke 3D came out around the time doom 2 made an appearance, it was hailed as the one of the best FPS for 5 seconds and then HL appeared on the scene, personally Duke kinda sucked (and it gave me migraines as well), I had only played the demo but it was boring, what was with the warthogs in officers uniforms?

It's "pigs", don't you get it. ;) And DN3D came out 2 years before HL1.

Duke Nukem was around before DN3D. The original 2D platform games were fun way back in the time before 3D shooters.

Duke 3D came out around the time doom 2 made an appearance, it was hailed as the one of the best FPS for 5 seconds and then HL appeared on the scene, personally Duke kinda sucked (and it gave me migraines as well), I had only played the demo but it was boring, what was with the warthogs in officers uniforms?

Watch your timeline there.

Duke Nukem 3D came out in 1996 along with Quake. Doom II was 2 years earlier and Half-Life was 2 years later.

I remember playing Quake just before I played Duke, which lowered my opinion of Duke (mainly from a technical standpoint), but I still liked it a lot.

Back