The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu3201

gimp

[H]F Junkie
Server 2003.
Has the onboard Dell Perc 5/i for harddrives.
an add-in Adaptec U320 SCSI PCI-X card. Only a Quantum LTO 2 tape drive is hooked up to the Adaptec.

This error started popping up around June. June 2, to be exact, and is logged every day. The last 2 people that administered this server are no longer around.
I'm not exactly sure when the tape drive was installed.
But on June 2:
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Quantum Corporation - Storage - Quantum LTO 2 Tape Drive

the problem is, I cannot roll back the driver, because no previous driver exists.
I also downloaded the latest driver from Quantum, which is the same exact one.

If I disable the port with the tape drive, the error doesn't seem to appear.

Could this be caused if the SCSI isn't terminated?

This is an off-site server, but not currently doing any backups so it's not a hugely important issue, but something I would like to get cleared up.

Bueller? Bueller?

I'm not all that familiar with SCSI, as I've never messed with it before...

well I haven't had any success with this yet.
the SCSI cable already had a terminator, but I went ahead and set the jumper on the tape drive to enable termination at the device.

still logging this error. Not sure what it could be?

Have you checked for any updated Adaptec SCSI host adapter drivers for your card? Is there anything else attached to that SCSI channel besides the tape drive and host adapter card?

A SCSI bus has to be terminated on both ends, the host adapter card usually terminates one end via a BIOS setting in the card. The other end of the cable has to be terminated at or after the last device on the SCSI bus.

If a driver update from Adaptec doesn't fix it, I'd consider replacing the SCSI cable that connects the host adapter to the tape drive.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu3201
What other information is present in the error log?
What else is logged in the event log before and after the error, anything useful?

Does the problem occur if the tape drive and cable is removed (and the controller is self terminated)?
Has it caused any operational issues?

Back