The DIY GPS Speed Camera Detector

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some guy has built a DIY GPS speed camera detector that warns him when he is going too fast in the vicinity of a speed camera. Pretty ingenious use of GPS, hit the link to see all the pictures and videos of the mod.

The detector has a display normally showing the current position and time. When the device detects that your vehicle is within ~500m from a camera it automatically switches to warning mode, blinking a warning text and the speed limit. The unit can hold up to 1600 camera positions in its memory and you can easily update the database with new data.

nice. if I had the coordinates of the cameras.. I can do the same by marking the locations in my garmin gpsmap 60c. It will then alert me when I get in the vacinity.

I've had this mod on my cellular phone GPS software since 2005.

A company has recently started selling GPS enabled radar detectors. If you drive by someplace where a cop has been sitting and radaring, or has been known to sit there, you simply reach up and touch a button and the unit stores the coordinates, and beeps at you when you near those coordinates again. This is a good feature to have since many officers radar you at so close a range and only hold the button down for a short period, that your detector might not pick it up when your on the other side of the hill.;)

This guy took that idea to the next level...and did it himself.:cool:

I'm not going to argue the whole bit about whether you should or should not speed, but honest people do make mistakes every once in a while. Also, you can still get written up for speeding when you have an actual emergency, because the officer doesn't believe your excuse because he's heard a million of them.

It's just a matter of time before these speed cameras are in my town. I know they're in the UK, anyone see them in the US?

I can do this with my modded Mio c310x, has GPS navigation and can alert me for any cameras that I can set to it for $150 that I paid for it.
Too bad there arent any fixed speed cams in DFW................................ yet.
Plenty of Red Light cameras though.

Add in a scanner that picks up close proximity police radio noise and you have "police car near" detection as well.

It's just a matter of time before these speed cameras are in my town. I know they're in the UK, anyone see them in the US?

They had them up in Hampton Roads for a while, but the general assembly (state goverment) told them to take them down..

Add in a scanner that picks up close proximity police radio noise and you have "police car near" detection as well.

1) every radio would vary if it would leak at all - you would basically see them beside you.
2) if you mean uniden beatracker warning system - not very reliable.
3) you would need to use a spectrum analyzer and have access to a police car to find the leakage - not easy to do, we have this equipment and your looking at a few $k for something good.

I don't understand why this is so amazing?

In the uk there are various databases of speed cameras (both fixed and mobile sites) the most popular of which is maintained by it's own users, costs £19 a year (updated at least monthly) and is pretty well 100% reliable. You can get the data base in whatever format is appropriate for whatever gps you have and install it. It beeps at you when you approach cameras (you decide the beep distance, for the camera type).

This has been around for years.

note that in many states its illegal to have any reciever capable of listening to police frequencies in your vehicle with a few exceptions

Back