The DIY Coilgun

For those bitching about the penetration, that damn projectile looks as heavy as an entire .45-70 cartidge!.If he had a much smaller bullet the velocity would be sonic and make for a nice cat killer.
Creativity: C +it's been done before.
Execution: A - Miles better than the mile of wire crap, or BB guns out there.
Practicality: B- If this thing were to use a much lighter and smaller projectile the efficiency would be better too.
Obamanomics: F- Beats using a slingshot on ferel cats on the cool factor but slingshot ammo is dirt cheap.

Wouldn't the penatration get worse on a lighter cartridge? Needs to be much thinner like most hand fired Flechette rounds (only a few mm).

or homebrew remedy is to see how many phonebooks it penetrates. which I doubt will be much since plastic then cardboard stops it.

Longer barrel and some kind of riffling to get it to stay straight. Otherwise a nice start to something dangerous.

[H]ocusPocus;1036206799 said:
I could see perfectly-silent sniper rifles using something like this in the future.

I think you're onto something here....no muzzle flash either.

Longer barrel and some kind of riffling to get it to stay straight. Otherwise a nice start to something dangerous.

I'm sure.

For those bitching about the penetration, that damn projectile looks as heavy as an entire .45-70 cartidge!.If he had a much smaller bullet the velocity would be sonic and make for a nice cat killer.
Creativity: C +it's been done before.
Execution: A - Miles better than the mile of wire crap, or BB guns out there.
Practicality: B- If this thing were to use a much lighter and smaller projectile the efficiency would be better too.
Obamanomics: F- Beats using a slingshot on ferel cats on the cool factor but slingshot ammo is dirt cheap.

You're a cruel bastard, you know that?

That projectile seemed kind of big, but he has a dial on it to adjust the output so maybe he's just dialing it in to make sure it doesn't shoot through that fence and tag his neighbor in the ass. It would have been nice to know what it was capable of and where he had it set, but omitting that info for now may be a good idea?

Truth is no one here knows what his design is capable of with thinner, lighter projectiles. No one knows what output he had it set at. Looked like a plastic barrel, probably with no rifling.

All we can do is speculate. And I speculate there is a lot more potential to his design than what the video lead us to believe. With some refinement that could be a serious weapon.

I saw a couple people mention that after the bullet bounces off, they'll kick the guys @ss. If his coil gun is puncturing the metal casing of a toaster, I really don't think it's going to be bouncing off your skin (depending on distance from target).

It's a great piece of engineering, and could be a stepping stone to a much more powerful model in the future.

Well Done.

I like how when he turned it on the LED read 666. Its the small things that count. :cool:

I wonder if you could add some sort of "fin" to the projectile to make it track straight? I give him huge props for the design, but the practicality of it is not there. You'd need a lot more power to get something comparable to a standard gun. By then the weight would render it useless as a personal weapon. Larger version mounted on vehicle maybe, but I'm sure they've already looked into that ;)

Rifling requires contact of the projectile and barrel which produces drag. Have to boost the energy imparted to overcome that.

Rifling requires contact of the projectile and barrel which produces drag. Have to boost the energy imparted to overcome that.

rifling stabilize the round in flight but as you say it also slow down the round. hence why smaller round would be better for this.

eh, laser sight may be cool and all that, but with no accuracy it is not going to "help"

If he put enough thought in to make as slick looking a weapon as that I am sure he had some thought into what size projectile he needed. I would guess, and it is only my guess from watching the vid, that he needs that size of a projectile for the mag fields to be effective.

people are douchebags for bitching about what the kid built.

I hope some of you negative douchebags don't tell your kids they suck too.

"That's a great picture you painted sweetheart, but daddy could have painted that in his sleep, you fail."

this is pretty cool but not really powerful enough. That metal projectile is bouncing off its target and being stopped by some cardboard , I have use slingshot that probably launce marbles faster.

I'm not knocking the effort just saying I was expecting faster projectile speed.

It's not lethal, big deal... how many of you would like to get shot in the face with that thing?

Also, I'm not so sure that the cardboard is stopping it. There is a wood fence and some sort of blue object behind the cardboard. So let's call this weapon version 1. You know he's working on version 2. He's young. Let's see it in 10 years.

lol we need to see a reaction from a kid from that line.
actually we don't. there are tons of kids (and adults) that have sought parental approval and never received it. So while it is funny to make fun of at the same time it is the reality that a lot of people live with.... :)

Very kewl.. but it shows how far advanced gun power was 200 years ago.

actually we don't. there are tons of kids (and adults) that have sought parental approval and never received it. So while it is funny to make fun of at the same time it is the reality that a lot of people live with.... :)

hehe, yeah I remember when I was young (5-7 years old) I got criticized by my grandma for not coloring within the lines :D

Lol at all of the people saying it sucks because it couldn't puncture the cardboard. Obviously he was dialing the power down since it also went through the side of an aluminum toaster, not to mention that with a lighter projectile the penetration could possibly be higher because it would take less magnitism to get it going at the same velocity.

its too pretty looking though, I mean come on a prototype is supposed to be ugly as all hell simply to perfect the concept first.

Back