The Division - officially announced for PC!

Honestly I thought the whole game needs massive improvement. The control mechanics and gun-play aren't bad for a 3rd person, but the world is lifeless and boring. Reminds me of those 90KM DayZ maps with nothing on them. Taking away the zombies makes it even worse. Couldn't they have left in desperate, infected civilians trying to steal your food, water, meds? I think you should have to avoid them, fight them off, possibly even shoot them to preserve your equipment in an effort to save the majority. There's virtually no danger except for small isolated pockets, not really any roving danger to catch you off guard, and the Dark Zone was extremely meh. Playing 50 hours to get weapons that have fractions of a stat difference is the same reason I hate pretty much all MMOs.

There's not even much reason to rob anybody since 90% of the time they have crap in their pouches anyway. They should color code the little quarantine bag by rarity of what's inside so you know if someone has an orange you should be more motivated to go rogue on them.

I'm with you on the game area feeling kind of empty and lifeless other than pockets of action. Overall, I think the atmosphere is great with the graphics quality, weather changing and the music/sound effects but there needs to be more going on. I spent about 4-5 hours in the beta between completing all the single player missions and playing some DZ with a buddy. DZ was actually quite fun, extracting items and dealing with rogue players, but I couldn't find an incentive to go rogue myself other than for the fun of it. I do like the proximity VOIP for shit talking and comedy situations.

Not a day 1 purchase because its $80CAD thanks to our crappy dollar. I'll wait for the first sale and see what game population is like at that point.

Ran pretty well for me on a single GTX 970, mostly maxed out besides AA and one or two other settings, 45-50 fps.

Played the beta and found it to be garbage. Super repetitive and generic.

Oh I'm sure they'll sell a lot of copies. I'm not talking about a bomb from a money standpoint, I'm talking about from a user satisfaction standpoint. It'll get slaughtered by the users once they play it and see it's as empty on release as it was during the test.

You think a gun that shoots "healing power" is realistic? Or someone taking 30 bullets to the face is realistic? Or equipment being "contaminated" and needing to be airlifted out is realistic? lol

They could have just as easily put crazy sick people running around trying to tackle you and take your stuff. Equivalent to zombies, without the zombies.

I was obviously talking about realistic themes, not "ultra simulation realism." :rolleyes: I'm sure you could also pick apart every single previous Tom Clancy game on those terms.

Anyway, if you don't like these aspects I don't give a f*** I was just pointing out that it was never advertised as such.

Received an email with a link to their forums from Ubi. No survey or anything like that.

Personally, I loved what I played. Just a great game to smoke a bowl to and kill some shit.

Reactions: bL33d
like this
I was obviously talking about realistic themes, not "ultra simulation realism." :rolleyes: I'm sure you could also pick apart every single previous Tom Clancy game on those terms.

Anyway, if you don't like these aspects I don't give a f*** I was just pointing out that it was never advertised as such.
Because Raven Shield was chock full of area effect healing spells? Clearly you haven't played many Tom Clancy games if you don't notice the difference in universe realism after UBI bought the rights to put his name on everything.

It doesn't address my point any regardless. They made the array of danger in this game very narrow and it ends up being excessively dull. So the only reason for dark corpse filled holes is to put a box in you can't open because of a DZ level? How about this, make the dark holes so scary people don't want to go in them when they're low level instead of putting an arbitrary lock on them. Feral dogs, sick people trying to take your stuff, hell sick people trying to eat you because there's no food in the city, there's plenty of monster options that aren't unrealistic. Melee danger from fearless enemies in closed dark spaces changes the dynamic.

Seriously, they have chests at the end of long dark tunnels that require an experience level to open, with nothing guarding them... If you don't think that's incredibly stupid, there's about a thousand tablet build em up games you will greatly enjoy.

that part might actually be the most realistic part...looking forward to the next beta, I mean full release :D

I know when dealing with a contaminated item that has a virus on it, the best thing you can do is latch it to a helicopter and fly it over the city!

I understand the game mechanic of that, but I found that incredibly silly on a logical level. The last thing you want to do is attach a viral agent to the bottom a helicopter that is pushing air down over that object as you fly across areas that aren't as contaminated. If the virus is deadly enough to survive on items for a period of time, it's likely capable of being made airborne in this extraction process. It's why asbestos items are sealed within the room, before going to to a sealed containment vessel.

"Oh is this Anthrax in my mail? I better turn on the air conditioner!"

I know when dealing with a contaminated item that has a virus on it, the best thing you can do is latch it to a helicopter and fly it over the city!

I understand the game mechanic of that, but I found that incredibly silly on a logical level. The last thing you want to do is attach a viral agent to the bottom a helicopter that is pushing air down over that object as you fly across areas that aren't as contaminated. If the virus is deadly enough to survive on items for a period of time, it's likely capable of being made airborne in this extraction process. It's why asbestos items are sealed within the room, before going to to a sealed containment vessel.

my thinking was that they attached it to the bottom of the helicopter only to make it easy for the agents to hook it on...but once the chopper gets airborne they reel in the bags and place them in some sort of protective cannister

I just play it and have fun not sit and think and nit pick every little game style decision. I imagine I could do that with every game I've ever played.

I just play it and have fun not sit and think and nit pick every little game style decision. I imagine I could do that with every game I've ever played.

No-one mentioned it wasn't fun. In fact, I opened that I understood the decision from a gameplay mechanic. I had great fun in the beta. Having a truck arrive and be loaded would be a lot harder to pull off versus the air unit from a game development standpoint.

I was simply discussing the silliness of the scenario if taken from a logical perspective. Discussion that is what this board is for. You can tell in my post that 50% of it was in a comical / sarcastic nature in reply to someone else who said that the airlift was the least unrealistic thing in the game, which I took as a comical commentary on how this particular Tom Clancy title isn't based in reality (which is a necessity, since it's an RPG).

Btw, that wasn't nitpicking. I can show you some nitpicking, that have no logical gameplay rational:

- Lighted signboards that are destroyed stay lit as they fall to the ground.

- Semi truck tailers are disproportionate to real life semi-truck trailers.

- Alex is to Manhattan as Kenny is to South Park. That guy gets killed more than anyone. I think it's actually a dev joke. "They killed Alex!"

Last edited:
This tends to be what happens when someone opens the Pandora's Box of "you can't do that, because realism!" argument about a game that is already unrealistic. lol The discussion was supposed to be about how the world could be more populated, dangerous, and exciting.

I think they've got a good engine and a decent concept, it just feels empty. Just another MMO where you farm a certain square on the map for hours to get items with marginal stat increases in various rarity colors.

Yep, that's all it is, and millions of people will be obviously wrong as they get hours of enjoyment out of it. But at least you saw through the BS!

I just wish the Dark Zone was more varied with more randomness and things to do in it. Like have actual QUESTS that take place in it and things.

It just felt so "empty" to me when I went there in beta. It's basically nothing more than a few npc-spawns with pvp enabled, that's it. Nothing unique or different, nothing that drives players there really.

I mean look at DAOC, the "Darkness Falls" were freaking AWESOME because you had a dungeon and reasons for being there but it was pvp enabled and you had teams all trying to do things there while their enemies wer ealso trying to do things

Darkness Falls

I wish the Dark Zone just had mor econtent and variety of things to do in it.

I mean, we did just have the beta...? We don't really know what the full content will entail. I'm not saying it WON'T be exactly that, but we can't say we know 100% of the game's content based on the extremely limited beta. Not to mention it's the type of game that usually has a fairly long life of updates and content to (hopefully) address feedback.

That's exactly what everyone said about Destiny after it's beta. "OH that's not how the full game will be, this is just a small "slice" of the game, the full game will be so much more content and variety....

Then we got release and it was literally more of the same.

These games try to give off an "mmo" vibe but they don't understand how much content people expect from those types of games, hell I'd be happy with a good single-player rpg amount of content, most can't even get close to that, it's more in line with CoD style content, quick 10'ish hours campaign and then it's all re-doing maps over and over again.

I'm hearing Ubisoft will be using the Snowdrop engine in their other games going forward (most likely the next Assassin's Creed)...the AnvilNext engine used in AC: Unity and Syndicate is really nice but Snowdrop is even better

That's exactly what everyone said about Destiny after it's beta. "OH that's not how the full game will be, this is just a small "slice" of the game, the full game will be so much more content and variety....

Then we got release and it was literally more of the same.

These games try to give off an "mmo" vibe but they don't understand how much content people expect from those types of games, hell I'd be happy with a good single-player rpg amount of content, most can't even get close to that, it's more in line with CoD style content, quick 10'ish hours campaign and then it's all re-doing maps over and over again.

I know, you definitely have a point. It could very well be the beta just expanded to more levels, areas, etc.

The way I look at it is: you can call it an MMO, they can call it an MMO, ultimately it still boils down to a $60 game like any other. However, because it gets the MMO label people assume it has to provide 8,000 hours of content. To me that's kind of unfair because they're not charging monthly subs or having some massive real money shop to sustain things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "here's a free pass for releasing with super limited content!" I just think if it gives me 40+ hours of FUN then I've got my money's worth, and chances are it'll still end up being a lot more than that.

I'm not really that impressed with Snow Drop so far...CryEngine and Frostbite look a lot better to me.

Great game, started beta on PS4 and it was good, but then tried on PC and was WAY better (of course). I'm assuming the full game will have much more instead of being so repetitive.

Most game threads on this forum turn into a Reddit style dissection of every single detail of a game. Too many cynical old grumpy gamers on here...just play your damn games and have fun! Don't overthink it. There has not been a single thread on here where people have not shit-posted a game....

I had wrote this game off as garbage, wanted nothing to do with it. Swore I would never pre-order a game years ago least one from Ubisoft. Then I got bored on Sunday, downloaded the open beta, had a friggin blast and promptly pre-orderd the game. And now I am sitting here trying to kill time until it's release. This turned out to be the rpg type of game I wanted for years after getting tired of swords and magic missiles.

I had wrote this game off as garbage, wanted nothing to do with it. Swore I would never pre-order a game years ago least one from Ubisoft. Then I got bored on Sunday, downloaded the open beta, had a friggin blast and promptly pre-orderd the game. And now I am sitting here trying to kill time until it's release. This turned out to be the rpg type of game I wanted for years after getting tired of swords and magic missiles.

Highlighted for importance. I feel the same way. In fact the reason why most MMOs and RPGs aren't for me is precisely centered around the fact that it's all sword and sorcery bullshit that I'm just not into.

Most game threads on this forum turn into a Reddit style dissection of every single detail of a game. Too many cynical old grumpy gamers on here...just play your damn games and have fun! Don't overthink it. There has not been a single thread on here where people have not shit-posted a game....

I see this too much. I even made a post on Reddit about it. Gamers nowadays are entitled spoiled brats. Non-stop shit-talking about little game details, and graphical downgrades, and bullshit cup-is-half-empty talk. It's nonsense. People just can't seem to just enjoy a thing for what it is. People talking about how they would change this and that detail about the game, and all the while I am hoping that developers don't listen to this loud and vocal minority. Normally, if you don't like a game you fucking move on... but nowadays everybody wants it changed to their liking. It's ridiculous and is proof-positive as to why developers take less risks nowadays b/c everybody bitches about something, they change it, and then bitch b/c it's changed too much or the people that liked it the way that it was chime back in and complain as to why the fuck it was changed.

It's depressing and frustrating to read. Gaming to me is a way to relax and get lost in the game world. The level/critique some people take it to is just ridiculous at times.

*snip* Normally, if you don't like a game you fucking move on...

Christ I wish. Everyone wants to be able to say, "I told you so!" or be the savior of the uninformed or have their, "valid concerns" addressed. Tedious bastards.

Highlighted for importance. I feel the same way. In fact the reason why most MMOs and RPGs aren't for me is precisely centered around the fact that it's all sword and sorcery bullshit that I'm just not into.

ditto. i dig the fact that this game mixes gunplay and RPG elements.

I'm not really that impressed with Snow Drop so far...CryEngine and Frostbite look a lot better to me.

Engines these days derive the core of their value from the toolsets they offer. From what they've released on it, it's heavily slanted for open-world development which is the core of Ubisoft games. That's what makes it different. It has the tool set to allow developers to programmatically model entire city blocks based off parameters given to it.

It's also been scaled back from what we initially saw graphic wise. So there's still power to be had.

There's been some recent videos of the detail the developers have put into the world. Like rats fighting crows for food (lol) and dogs pissing/pooping all over the place.

There's been some recent videos of the detail the developers have put into the world. Like rats fighting crows for food (lol) and dogs pissing/pooping all over the place.

it's little details like that which I notice as well...the weather effects and lighting in the game are fantastic...yes Frostbite and CryEngine are still better overall but SnowDrop is no slouch...even the AnvilNext engine of Unity and Syndicate is impressive...Ubisoft has done a nice job developing some next-gen engines

I see this too much. I even made a post on Reddit about it. Gamers nowadays are entitled spoiled brats. Non-stop shit-talking about little game details, and graphical downgrades, and bullshit cup-is-half-empty talk. It's nonsense. People just can't seem to just enjoy a thing for what it is. People talking about how they would change this and that detail about the game, and all the while I am hoping that developers don't listen to this loud and vocal minority. Normally, if you don't like a game you fucking move on... but nowadays everybody wants it changed to their liking. It's ridiculous and is proof-positive as to why developers take less risks nowadays b/c everybody bitches about something, they change it, and then bitch b/c it's changed too much or the people that liked it the way that it was chime back in and complain as to why the fuck it was changed.

It's depressing and frustrating to read. Gaming to me is a way to relax and get lost in the game world. The level/critique some people take it to is just ridiculous at times.

I agree with you but I don't think this is a new phenomenon. I've been participating in game forums since the 90's and this has always been an issue. I will say it's much more pronounced in the last 5ish years (maybe younger people getting online?). I think some of it is the fact that there is a subset of the hardcore gamer crowd that has antisocial tendencies and a generally negative outlook on life. Yeah I know, the stereotype basement dweller gamer meme, but there's some truth to it.

Agreed, I think a perfect example is people complaining about paid mods and the diablo 3 paid auction house.

1. Paid mods will get you better mods. I would make mods but instead work on UE4 because I have to eat and have a place to sleep.

2. People crying over a game where it's a single player/coop game where you just do the same content over and over. No reason to go to a paid auction house at all, just doing the same content over and over without any real sense of competition. If people want to use it, what's the fucking problem? You don't have to use it, but no everyone had to cry and cry ruining the possibility of earning income while playing a stupid single player/coop game in the future.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to complain, especially about price and amount of content. However the nit picking of individual features is absurd, just play something else.

I agree with you but I don't think this is a new phenomenon. I've been participating in game forums since the 90's and this has always been an issue. I will say it's much more pronounced in the last 5ish years (maybe younger people getting online?). I think some of it is the fact that there is a subset of the hardcore gamer crowd that has antisocial tendencies and a generally negative outlook on life. Yeah I know, the stereotype basement dweller gamer meme, but there's some truth to it.

I can't speak for everyone but personally I am getting pretty sick of 90% of AAA games these days having some sort of shenanigans going on, whether it's BS "gameplay" videos before release, crazy DLC schemes, archaic DRM methods or just general we-don't-give-a-fuck attitude from the publisher/developer. I'm not anti-social, or even have a generally negative outlook on life (though people, in general, tend to be idiots), but when you go from the "glory" days of gaming to what we have now, it's just depressing to see what the industry has become.

I hope everyone that purchases The Division is happy...but based on my beta experience it's not a game I enjoy playing and thus is not a game I'll be purchasing.

I am with you, I am sick of fantasy MMOs. The last fun MMOs I played were Anarchy Online and Neocron. I fucking love sci-fi/cyberpunk themes. Stuff like that just sells to me ala Ghost in Shell or Deus Ex styles.

Good news! Ubi has confirmed that the best gear in the game is from crafting and not from looting or purchasing from vendors.
As well, PVE will have as good of weapons as in the DZ.

Last edited:
Good news! Ubi has confirmed that the best gear in the game is from crafting and not from looting or purchasing from vendors.
As well, PVE will have as good of weapons as in the DZ.

Where are you getting updated info at? Just curious where I can read up more.

Where are you getting updated info at? Just curious where I can read up more.

Sorry about that.

The Division: Final Build Changes Look Promising

"In light of these changes, it’s great to know that the purple items given to Dark Zone (DZ) vendors were just for testing purposes. It is also awesome to find out that DZs are not the only way of acquiring the best gear. Ubisoft clarified that similar gear is also obtainable through Player vs. Environment (PvE).

The best gear in the game is available through crafting. "

"Enemy NPC density and roaming capabilities in and out of the DZ will be increased come the full game. These numbers were reduced for testing purposes."

Sounds good to me.

Sorry about that.

The Division: Final Build Changes Look Promising

"In light of these changes, it’s great to know that the purple items given to Dark Zone (DZ) vendors were just for testing purposes. It is also awesome to find out that DZs are not the only way of acquiring the best gear. Ubisoft clarified that similar gear is also obtainable through Player vs. Environment (PvE).

Thanks for the link

So apparently the game leaked in the UAE and India. I'm curious if it's even playable without connection to a server.

Another little details thing I noticed is the EOTech projects the crosshair ahead of the glass. You can notice this in 3rd person if you line up the camera right. A small detail that a lot of developers would simply bypass by just slapping a red dot texture into the glass.

Kinda hoping there's more of these small details to discover. One person on Reddit did mention a concern that if the DarkZone is 3x as big and the servers still only allow for 24players, how is that going to affect Rogue gameplay? It seems you might be able to easily just run in the opposite direction until the timer runs out.

This part in particular, makes me giddy as fuck

Back