The Division - officially announced for PC!

I was eyeing this it does look cool but graphics downgrades aside is the game fun to play with your friends?

Been playing Battlefront and Rainbow Six Seige and enjoying both.

Ugh that looked boring... Also another downgrade it looks like, the lighting has gotten worse, particle effects are meh and destructable environments are nearly gone. Watchdogs 2.0

The Division: E3 2013 vs. Now - graphics and gameplay comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY

Console footage. You can't expect E3 demos ran on PC too look like the same on Consoles. Wait until PC footage is shown. Then cry and vote with your wallet.

"10 Minutes of Side Ops and Street Battle Gameplay" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkrqDrFReDI

So its a third person Destiny clone set in New York with brain dead bullet sponge AI? Certainly looks like it, not sure it will take long for this game to get tedious if there isn't a significant and interesting SP component.

Couple of previews I have read suggest the same thing...

http://www.pcgamer.com/tom-clancys-the-division-gameplay-impressions/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-15-what-you-actually-do-in-the-division/

The Division: E3 2013 vs. Now - graphics and gameplay comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY

Apart from confirming the obvious downgrade, I can't say I really like the new UI elements.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't seen PC footage yet since the NDA applies to everything except Xbox.

I highly doubt we will get the game we saw in the 2013 trailer even on PC. All the Xbox footage I've seen thus far looks really flat in regards to the colors. Textures also look really low resolution and the game is definitely not running at 1080P according to jackfrags on YouTube.

We about mod support? SweetFX might bring back some of what we wanted the game to look like. Some said that mod support might get you banned since its online.

So its a third person Destiny clone set in New York with brain dead bullet sponge AI? Certainly looks like it, not sure it will take long for this game to get tedious if there isn't a significant and interesting SP component.

Couple of previews I have read suggest the same thing...

http://www.pcgamer.com/tom-clancys-the-division-gameplay-impressions/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-15-what-you-actually-do-in-the-division/

based on the previews I've read the game is a mixed bag...still has the potential to be great but it seems like it's not as great as people hoped for nor as bad as people thought either...a decidedly mixed bag...the section that gets the most praise is the Dark Zone pvp area

the upcoming PC exclusive Escape from Tarkov is getting more hype and has the potential to be a better version of The Division...here's a look at the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bww5U-uIGUA

based on the previews I've read the game is a mixed bag...still has the potential to be great but it seems like it's not as great as people hoped for nor as bad as people thought either...a decidedly mixed bag...the section that gets the most praise is the Dark Zone pvp area

the upcoming PC exclusive Escape from Tarkov is getting more hype and has the potential to be a better version of The Division...here's a look at the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bww5U-uIGUA

That's just another dumb DayZ clone. Aren't we sick of those already.

The reviews I'm reading aren't mixed and yet rather positive.

Some of you didn't like Destiny for certain reasons and this certainly takes care of those reasons. Such as an open world to explore, loot is more of a priority in this game than Destiny. CO OP seems to require as much communication just as much as a raid in Destiny. Actual raid team has a healer/ tank/ dps classes.

The weapon and skill system seems pretty in depth as well. Which is another thing I hate about Destiny, you'll have your attributes unlocked well before max level (40).

The only way this would seem boring or not is if the side missions/bounties are as repetitive as Fallout 4s side missions.

Only real negativity I've seen about this game is on this forum. This is one I'll happily defend. They extended the release a few times already based on finishing the product first. Which is more so a sign of a quality AAA product release than not.

The Dark Zone is a unique zone imo and is something different.
It's going to be pretty intense to come across one or more fireteams in the process.

I'm hoping a trade system can or is implemented. This would be really cool to help friends out if you have extra supplies.

Last edited:
Looks just as good as the Xbox footage I've seen except way smoother because of the FPS running around 60 instead of 30.

It would be a pretty bad sign for it to look worse than its console counterparts.

The reviews I'm reading aren't mixed and yet rather positive.

Read between the lines of those reviews. These are all based on an invite to a press event, I would be surprised to see any explicit negativity given how incestuous the gaming press is with major publishers. Look at how they hyped Destiny beyond belief, only for it to receive okay'ish reviews and get absolutely slammed by users.

The only way this would seem boring or not is if the side missions/bounties are as repetitive as Fallout 4s side missions.

Or if the main game consists of grinding through endless bullet sponges?

3jbqgp.gif

1f7pn9.gif

Several ammo clips and a grenade to down a human, just doesn't work for me in terms of context and immersion. Knowing Ubi, there will be plenty of microtransactions for buffed weapons and stats.

Only real negativity I've seen about this game is on this forum.

You aren't looking very hard then...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192392093&postcount=841

My impressions from 20+ hours in the alpha:

Visually the biggest downgrades are in the diegetic UI which was such a huge part of the E3 2013 trailer, and which looking back were obviously all faked. There's no instances where you open a gun case and examine the gun loot inside with cool infographic overlays and stuff, for instance, and the holographic map is quite a bit less less dramatic. Streets don't all have their own diegetic floating name, you don't scan every dead person's face you come across and find out their life story, etc.

No sign of any of the procedural car destruction they showed off in the E3 2013 trailer. Bullet strikes on windows produce simple bullet-hole decals. Maybe in the PC build? I didn't see any instances of bullet penetration which they highlighted in 2013 as well (the guy getting scanned and then shot through cover, the bullet holes in the billboard actually letting sun-rays through). They do have the car door closing though, I know that would be a deal-breaker for some.

Controls are pretty clunky, noticable input lag on many movements and actions. Cover system is implemented and the game constantly hits you over the head with object highlight prompts to stick to cover but by the end of the alpha I abandoned the system completely; it just gets in your way.

Game has an unfortunate one-two combination of very spongy enemies with poor hit feedback. Games like Destiny that have excellent feedback on enemy hits can get away with spongy enemies (to a certain extent, at least). In it's current state the Division can't. It feels pretty ridiculous seeing some random thug absorb 50 bullets from a belt-fed LMG, and if said thug is doing something like a reload animation, your attacks don't interrupt him, he just stands there taking the bullets until he finishes the animation. Awful.

No passive matchmaking (IE: Destiny-style) in areas outside of the Dark Zone or the Hub home base, at least in the Alpha, which is disappointing. You can do a face-to-face team join with strangers in the Hub or Dark Zone with no loading screens though, which is cool. They've also implemented prox chat in the Dark Zone, which is cool.

Encounter pocket density in the "overworld" (non-mission-areas) is really, really low. In both the Dark Zone and the PVE-only areas you can walk for many minutes without seeing a hostile NPC. The Dark Zone suffers the most from this since there's no missions and seemingly no public event style occurances. In fact a lot of my Dark Zone time seemed to consist of groups and individuals wildly searching across the map for the elusive groups of enemies.

One of many, just on neogaf.

Last edited:
That's just another dumb DayZ clone. Aren't we sick of those already.

I had to laugh when the guy talks about how DayZ's inventory system was cumbersome and it took too long to navigate, and then proceeded to show the one from Escape from Tarkov that looks...practically identical.

Graphically it looks good but yeah, it looks like a straight-up DayZ clone.

This game is alot like borderlands to me with the bulletsponge enemies, damage numbers on hits, color coded loot system and four player co-op. Its just in a more realistic setting fighting humans instead of goofy looking monsters.

Console footage. You can't expect E3 demos ran on PC too look like the same on Consoles. Wait until PC footage is shown. Then cry and vote with your wallet.

Problem is, the original E3 demos they ran were PS4 "devkit" demos (so they claimed) and the PC wasn't even announced until much later.

They were clearly showing off tech not capable on current console hardware and saying it was running on a console.

With Watchdogs, I gave them a tad of a pass because the console gen was just launching. Maybe they had to adapt mid-development when they realized the new gen was going to be anemic and not the powerhouses of before.

Apparently, the demo portion of the map (Brooklyn at the original E3) isn't even part of the game nor story. That sounds like they made a high fidelity portion again and probably pre-rendered it out while having someone fake play it.

Huge difference between making something you hope you can get playable in time and doing something intentionally grand to drive presales/hype. Because it's become so common place for Ubisoft published titles, I'd say it's a systemic policy of management and not the developers themselves. It's further highlighted by the fact they come out and openly deny doing any optimizations versus what's seen in the initial trailers. All they'd have to do is acknowledge it by saying "we were forced to optimize because of time/hardware/budget/etc", but they don't. That to me is where they are in the wrong. They're doing that for the sole reason (only reason I can logically think of) to not hurt presales, and again, probably stems from an upper executive policy. Publishers are like the labels of the music industry, they'll do anything they can to push the bottom line.

Last edited:
Apparently, the demo portion of the map (Brooklyn at the original E3) isn't even part of the game nor story. That sounds like they made a high fidelity portion again and probably pre-rendered it out while having someone fake play it

yup, I read an article which talked about how only Midtown Manhattan would be included in the game...earlier they made it seem like a much larger portion of NYC would be included (although I'm sure more will be added with DLC)...it's good that they're using a 1:1 scale and I understand the difficulty in creating an entire city in 1:1 but it seems Ubisoft always over-achieves with it's early demos and presentations

How much space will you need on your hard drive to install The Division's upcoming beta?..on PC, the game's beta client weighs in at 26.25 GB, according to someone with early access to it

Or if the main game consists of grinding through endless bullet sponges?

Several ammo clips and a grenade to down a human, just doesn't work for me in terms of context and immersion. Knowing Ubi, there will be plenty of microtransactions for buffed weapons and stats.

I look at this game as an MMOFPS...Just like in WoW or any other MMO, it takes multiple/combo attacks to take down an enemy. This is not just a run and gun from what I've seen.

I look at this game as an MMOFPS...Just like in WoW or any other MMO, it takes multiple/combo attacks to take down an enemy. This is not just a run and gun from what I've seen.

It seems to be more in the vein of a co-op Mass Effect, except in that universe (and WoW and other MMOs) enemies being able to absorb huge amounts of damage can be contextually rationalised. Its more difficult to suspend disbelief in a setting where you are facing ordinary humans in hoodies who require several clips to the head. Gamespot had a pretty candid discussion about this and other issues:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/how-does-the-division-actually-play-the-lobby/2300-6429022/

The Division PC Specs Revealed

Minimum Configuration
Supported OS: Windows® 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 | AMD FX-6100, or better
RAM: 6GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 with 2 GB VRAM (current equivalent NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760) | AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 2 GB VRAM, or better – See supported List*
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive Space: 40 GB available space.
Optical Drive: DVD-ROM Dual Layer.
Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, headset, optional controller.
Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 256 kbps upstream, or faster.

Recommended Configuration
Supported OS: Windows® 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 | AMD FX-8350, or better.
RAM: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 | AMD Radeon R9 290, or better – See supported List*
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive Space: 40 GB available space.
Optical Drive: DVD-ROM Dual Layer.
Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, headset, optional controller.
Multiplayer: Broadband connection with 512 kbps upstream, or faster.

*Supported NVIDIA cards at time of release: GeForce GTX500 series: GeForce GTX560 (2 GB VRAM) or better • GeForce GTX600 series: GeForce GTX660 or better • GeForce GTX700 series: GeForce GTX760 or better • GeForce GTX900 Titan series: GeForce GTX960 or better

*Supported AMD cards at time of release: Radeon HD7000 series: Radeon HD7770 (2 GB VRAM) or better • Radeon 200 series: Radeon R7 270 or better • Radeon 300/Fury X series: Radeon R7 370 or better

Notebook support: Laptop models of these desktop cards may work as long as they are on-par in terms of performance with at least the minimum configuration. For an up-to-date list of supported hardware, please visit the FAQ for this game on our website: http://support.ubi.com

https://blog.ubi.com/the-division-pc-specs-revealed/

The Division on PC is “more than a port” says Ubisoft

UbiSoft’s PC releases can be hit or miss but they’re determined to let PC gamers know that the PC version of The Division is special...to make sure PC gamers know that what they are about to receive won’t be a horrible console port they commented:

“The main goal during the development of the PC version of The Division was to give players the version of the game they wanted. We didn’t want to just port the console version for them, but to instead craft an experience that felt native to PC from the start. A key feature we particularly wanted to address was the navigation through the UI. If you have a mouse and a keyboard, the way you navigate is very different than the navigation with a controller.”

On graphics, UbiSoft has this to say:

“We wanted to ensure the game ran well, no matter if you were on a laptop or a triple-screened monster computer, and we think we’ve done just that. The key to making a PC game that runs and scales well is to have finely tuned graphics settings, and also to let players dive into the settings and adjust them the way they want..

http://blog.ubi.com/8-facts-about-the-pc-version-of-the-division/

The Division: impressions from the PC build

The first thing to say is that yes, The Division is a good looking game...I've not seen the console version in action, but the PC build is crisp and rich with detail...More than that, though, what makes The Division an impressive PC release is the wealth of customisation...As hinted above, there's a wealth of graphics options available to tweak and configure, from the usual texture and shadow settings to more specific tweaks. Don't like chromatic aberration? You can turn it off...

http://www.pcgamer.com/tom-clancys-the-division-impressions-from-the-pc-build/

looks like the graphics downgrade controversy has been overblown...doesn't look as good as the reveal trailer but if the screenshots in that article are real and not concept art then the game looks pretty amazing...plus with all the graphics options such as multi-GPU support, multi-monitor, HBAO+, unlocked framerate etc this could give SW: Battlefront a run for its money as far as graphics fidelity

This is Ubisoft making promises....I made some to the ladies before I got married.....yup

ubisoft.........wait and see folks.

looks like the graphics downgrade controversy has been overblown...doesn't look as good as the reveal trailer

I don't think it's "overblown" if it's true. I mean, there is a 100% definite visual downgrade from the original trailers and gameplay videos, there's no denying that. The game doesn't look like garbage obviously but it was still downgraded.

this could give SW: Battlefront a run for its money as far as graphics fidelity

Not from anything I've seen in screenshots or videos...Battlefront blew my mind when I played the beta. Crysis 3-level graphics pretty much.

My problem is that works in fantasy, but not in FPS games if set in the real world with humans. It is a little more acceptable if the people you are shooting are covered head to toe in body armor, but one video showed a guy shooting someone in the face 6-8 times before they killed them at near point-blank range.

I just want more FPS in the RPG.

I will wait and see how the beta is, but each video I see my interest goes down since things like bulletsponges just turn me off in shooters.

What a shock, the PC version still doesn't look as good as the E3 trailers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/428rzc/the_division_in_game_pc_screenshot/

Maybe not but it still looks pretty good to me. From what I have seen of it so far I'm fine with how it looks. I just hope the game play is fun. Some people are saying it kinds seems like Destiny which would be fine to me. I enjoy playing Destiny on my PS4 but it does get frustrating not being able to use keyboard and mouse at times. Maybe ill get lucky and get in on the beta so I can try it out otherwise ill be waiting till its released before I decided it I want to pick it up or not.

Yea, that's just silly.

I wonder if you can preorder, get beta key, return game....:)

Or beta key is attachedvto the game key....

"Preorder" on amazon, they send the beta key immediatly then cancel later after you confirm the game sucks.

I don't need a youtube shill to tell me whether the game looks good, especially when he does it by reference to terrible looking washed out console video he's uploaded. I trust my own eyes, and this...

92iLACp.jpg

does not look like this...

1370900979_tc_the_division_screen_police_station_shoot_out_web_130610_4h15pmpt.jpg

And neither does this...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3o13rh_aaaaaaa_videogames

look like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfj6KwEAfg

Are the graphics terrible? No, they actually look alright for a cross platform game. Does it look like what Ubisoft originally hyped it up to be? Don't think so.

Also, is it just me or does the voice of the event narrator sound like the power suit from Crysis?

Will you need to have people to work with to play this game well or can you just as easily run around by yourself?

sites like PCGamer, Rock Paper Shotgun etc all have been impressed with the PC version and graphics...it's not as great as the E3 reveal trailers etc but it looks good according to them...the kb/m integration and graphics customization is also getting high praise...gameplay itself is getting mixed reviews but overall most people seem more optimistic about the game now then they were before

http://www.pcgamer.com/tom-clancys-the-division-impressions-from-the-pc-build/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/22/tom-clancys-the-division-interview/

graphics downgrade does not always equal horrible looking game...it just looks different then what was shown earlier...a game can still look amazing even after a downgrade...the game has been downgraded, move on from that...they are showing actual PC footage now plus releasing a closed beta next week...so they are not attempting to fool anyone

Back