The Division - officially announced for PC!

It's not about the game being bad, the hate is because Ubisoft chose to make a multiplayer game, and then make that game EXTREMELY easy to hack. Extremely. So yes, it's a good game, but it's going to be jam packed with ungodly amount's of hackers unless Ubisoft fixes the cheating issues. So you probably just spent money on a game that will be full of hackers from day 1. If you think BF4 has hacker issues, wait until you see what this game will become. I really doubt you'll have fun in the Dark Zone if everyone has infinite health and bullets and kills you instantly every time you try to enter.

That's where the hate comes from.

So it'll be like GTA V then? Which I still play and is still very fun. Hackers are annoying but they get banned eventually. I just spent an hour in the DZ, yes there were idiots in there but overall I didn't let it ruin the fun for me. :)

Ok - I finally was able to complete the stupid mission to rescue the electrician...I was having disconnects and game freezing up my pc. I had tried downgrading my drivers (gtx 670) and disabling everything. I'm not 100% sure which of these 2 things actually resolved my issue - but I'll put them both out here just in case it helps someone else:

1. killed avg anti-virus - I disabled it til reboot
2. I have multiple monitors - but was only playing on one - so I disconnected the other 2 via display settings.

After this I was able to stay in game...no freezes so far (knock on wood) and we'll see how it goes. I had the same setup for closed beta....and both of those items were enabled...so no idea. I had recently enabled ahci on my newly installed windows 10 - so thought it was due to that..../shrug. (I thought my main ssd/boot drive had crashed so I replaced it...figures I was able to recover it later..lol).

So it'll be like GTA V then? Which I still play and is still very fun. Hackers are annoying but they get banned eventually. I just spent an hour in the DZ, yes there were idiots in there but overall I didn't let it ruin the fun for me. :)

We have very different perceptions of "very fun". GTA V online is a steaming pile of shit. So yeah, if you like that then you will like what this game is going to become. Unless they fix it, which I hope they do.

We have very different perceptions of "very fun". GTA V online is a steaming pile of shit. So yeah, if you like that then you will like what this game is going to become. Unless they fix it, which I hope they do.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. No idea how anyone could enjoy the shit-show hackfest that is GTA5 Online. It's literally cancer.

I think I am done with the beta. Some friends aren't sure they are going to pick it up if the cheat shit doesn't get fixed but I think the game has a few more issues than that as well; the "looting" feels so unrewarding and the world seems so lifeless. And holy shit the UI is terrible.

Maybe they will fix some of these issues in the next 18 days. We'll see.

Last edited:
I think I like this game more for the single player story then the Dark Zone...currently there are too many hackers (which will only get worse)....plus DZ is almost impossible to do solo even against the larger NPC enemy groups...matchmaking works fine (even with strangers) but I hate that if 1 member of your party goes Rogue (even by accident) then the whole group gets branded Rogue...I'm hoping the map will be huge because the 2 story missions in the game seemed to be pretty short and fairly easy...it's also impossible not to go into the DZ because that's where 95% of the best gear/weapons are...they need to balance it out more

the game has a lot going for it but I'm not sure if it'll survive on PC...definitely Ubisoft's most ambitious game to date...I love that everything on screen is easy to use- the color coding and weapon/gear selection interface is very clear and you know right away whether to pick something up or drop it...the minimal interface is also nice and you can customize it all the way down...hopefully the Dark Zone is more end-game content rather then something that the game is constantly pushing you towards

Last edited:
Did you see my earlier post about the SLI bug? Go into settings, and completely disable "Local Reflection Quality". Restart the game.

That literally doubled my FPS in SLI from 35ish to 70+ on Ultra @ 1440p.

Must have missed that one, will try...thanks.

I think I like this game more for the single player story then the Dark Zone...currently there are too many hackers (which will only get worse)....plus DZ is almost impossible to do solo even against the larger NPC enemy groups...matchmaking works fine (even with strangers) but I hate that if 1 member of your party goes Rogue (even by accident) then the whole group gets branded Rogue...I'm hoping the map will be huge because the 2 story missions in the game seemed to be pretty short and fairly easy...it's also impossible not to go into the DZ because that's where 95% of the best gear/weapons are...they need to balance it out more

the game has a lot going for it but I'm not sure if it'll survive on PC...definitely Ubisoft's most ambitious game to date...I love that everything on screen is easy to use- the color coding and weapon/gear selection interface is very clear and you know right away whether to pick something up or drop it...the minimal interface is also nice and you can customize it all the way down...hopefully the Dark Zone is more end-game content rather then something that the game is constantly pushing you towards
This is really sad. A game that has potential is going to be better played on a crappy little console than on gaming PC's. If Ubisoft fucks this up, they will never live it down. And I will make a point not to give them another dime. If they don't have the foresight to know that you can't put important files for an online game on the users computer, where they can easily use them to hack, then they shouldn't be making online games. It's gonna piss off a lot of people if they game ends up being a hit, but only on consoles.

I enjoy the gameplay and really like what they have going on, but at this point there's no way I'd buy the game. At least not until release to see if they fix the hacking. While it may have a fun single player campaign, eventually the Dark Zone is going to be where you need to be. And if it's nothing but hackers, then the game might as well not even exist. I had a feeling Ubisoft would fuck this up, and if they don't fix the hacking problem, then they will prove me right sadly. I hate being a pessimist, but companies like Ubisoft and EA make it a necessity any more.

And here's a little preview of what you are going to be dealing with if Ubisoft doesn't fix the hacks:

if they don't fix the hacking problem, then they will prove me right sadly. I hate being a pessimist, but companies like Ubisoft and EA make it a necessity any more.

pretty much every PC MP game has hackers...it's just a matter of to what extent...the recent SW: Battlefront apparently has a lot as well on PC...Ubisoft making things client side is a baffling move though and I don't understand what the point would be other then them admitting that hacking will always be an issue no matter what they try to do...but like I said earlier Nvidia bundling the game makes this a nice buy...would not have bought it for $60...but $25-$30 sounds like a great deal

I'd like to get into this a bit more but connectivity issues are plaguing me.

It's taking a bit of time to get used to the cover system and how clunky these games tend to be but my real problem with the game is the audio. Holy shit it's all over the place. Excessively loud NPCs, loudspeakers and gunshot sounds with an overemphasis on reverb and echos. I have the sound sliders at 15% and it's still too much. Really disappointed with that.

So far i am enjoying the game. However a few issues. First issue is I sometimes get weird artifacts glitches every so often. Temps are around 70-72C. When I move away from that area the issue goes away but might return in an hour or so.

Next issue is my GPU won't stay at max GPU clock. It jumps around 600-980(max), which also causes the FPS to jump around. Because of this my fps go from 20-60+ (turned vsync off hoping it would help, it kinda helped). I haven't updated my drives in a few months so maybe that would help, but weird that this is game has these issues. Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't have them.

servers are down for maintenance starting at 1am PST, should be for around 3 hours according to the ubisoft forum. i had some connectivity issues prior to 1am, may have been related to the maintenance.

servers are down for maintenance starting at 1am PST, should be for around 3 hours according to the ubisoft forum. i had some connectivity issues prior to 1am, may have been related to the maintenance.

I was wondering why I was kicked out of the game a little while ago...oh well time for a forced break :D ...performance has been solid just like the closed beta although I did notice some rare stuttering for a little bit a couple of hours ago

No, it's on my end that I was talking about. From 3pm my time until about an hour ago my connection has been practically nonexistent. Couldn't even load google through my wifi on my phone.

Played pc beta last night on my laptop runs decent at med settings 1080p but after hearing this pc hacker bs I just started the beta download on my xbox1. People on pc always ruin games that why I only play single player on pc. :(

Played pc beta last night on my laptop runs decent at med settings 1080p but after hearing this pc hacker bs I just started the beta download on my xbox1. People on pc always ruin games that why I only play single player on pc. :(

There will always be hackers on PC and console -- thats right the last gen versions (ps3/360) have hacks as well on the COD games. In over 6,000 hrs of Counter-strike series I have seen ~ 5 hackers. In 700hrs of BF4 I have seen 2-3. It really just depends on the games you are playing. But most of the time it is typically bad players (read: casual players) accusing good players of hacking...I see this all the time. Anyway, The Division unlike most PC MP games is significantly easier to hack/cheat -- more so than any other MP game I have ever seen on PC -- and people are right that they will have to get this fixed or it will be dead on the PC platform. But saying PC games are always riddled with hackers is foolish. In fact I hardly ever see any in the games I play and most anti-cheat measurements keep out the "google hacks" pretty easily. But I get your point.

It's taking a bit of time to get used to the cover system and how clunky these games tend to be but my real problem with the game is the audio. Holy shit it's all over the place. Excessively loud NPCs, loudspeakers and gunshot sounds with an overemphasis on reverb and echos. I have the sound sliders at 15% and it's still too much. Really disappointed with that.

I have not had any sound issues. I read elsewhere that there are bugs with the audio sliders, something like they don't work for all sounds (even if you turn them all the way down you'll still hear things in game). The suggestion is to put sliders all the way up and adjust system volume, not game volume.

Unrelated to Business6's post and just my general feelings after playing it for a few hours, I think it looks good, controls well and is fun. It's like Mass Effect style cover based shooter, Destiny style quasi MMO / loot gameplay, all in a somewhat high tech New York setting. I can run it at max settings 1080P usually between 60-100 fps. I have 5.1 audio over HDMI to my receiver, sounds great on my speakers.

The cheating issue looms large. I dealt with it in GTA Online by not going to public free roam lobbies. If it is as simple as avoiding the dark zone that would be an easy solution, but considering I don't know much about the dark zone I can't really guess at how much content one would miss out on by taking that stance.

The cheating issue looms large. I dealt with it in GTA Online by not going to public free roam lobbies. If it is as simple as avoiding the dark zone that would be an easy solution, but considering I don't know much about the dark zone I can't really guess at how much content one would miss out on by taking that stance.

The Dark Zone IS this game. The single player is just filler. It won't take people long at all to blow through the single player campaign. Then all the raids and stuff will be in the Dark Zone. So it's not possible to avoid it, since it's really the whole point of the game after you finish the single player stuff. That's why all the concern over the hacking. If they don't move all the important files to their servers, then this game is DOA on PC.

I thought they said they were going to add more NPC enemies in the Dark Zone for the open beta?...I don't see any difference...it gets boring constantly running around with nothing to do except kill the same group of respawning NPC's...plus with less people going Rogue it makes the Dark Zone boring at times

What's the point of the Extraction areas in the Dark Zone? I'm guessing it's for extracting loot/gear. Is that just for xp? Is there certain items to extract or is it just automatic? What else can we do in the DZ?

Been playing. So far, I think it looks nice (not near the level of the initial screens/trailer), fog is some of the nicest out there. I also noticed they did the gas grenades in unique way - am I correct in that the disorientated f's with your controls? I like that.

I've had no crashes so far. I have had bugs though. I'd get to a JTF encounter and find no-one, only to have every baddy/goody spawn on top of me at once. Other bugs are with enemies randomly warping to and from.

Picked up a SCAR-H fully loaded (suppressor, 10x scope) from a street thug.

I guess there's no pausing. I was doing the power mission and had to leave, had a checkpoint near the end. Tried to pause (was running solo), but enemies were still coming. So I just quit the game, came back and had to do it all over again.

What's the point of the Extraction areas in the Dark Zone? I'm guessing it's for extracting loot/gear. Is that just for xp? Is there certain items to extract or is it just automatic? What else can we do in the DZ?

the best loot/gear/weapons in the game are in the Dark Zone (at least in the beta)...drops are random as well...if you don't extract it then you lose the gear...Dark Zone leveling and currency is separate from the main game

Beta 1.1 seems to run better then Beta 1.0. This is a fantastic PC game. PC gamers should be very happy with this one.
We would be happy if they hadn't made it extremely easy to hack, thereby ruining any potential the game has going forward.

Programmers, how hard would it be for Ubisoft to move the files from the client to the server, this late in the game?

We would be happy if they hadn't made it extremely easy to hack, thereby ruining any potential the game has going forward.

Programmers, how hard would it be for Ubisoft to move the files from the client to the server, this late in the game?
Speak for yourself.

It's also easy to murder someone, doesn't mean we're going to :)

Speak for yourself.

That's not a good comparison. The consequences of murdering someone are way higher than the consequences of cheating. It's not the "ease" of murdering that prevents it, it's these consequences.

So, just reached level 8. Done with the BETA pretty much. Final thoughts:

- A few gun upgrades makes street thugs really ease to down in 2 shots.
- Civilian AI needs work, right now they say stuff that should only be triggered if you point a weapon at them.
- It's frustrating when you get stuck on invisible/small objects in a firefight. Got me killed a few times.

I'll wait for the release and reviews. More interested in SP.

Speak for yourself.

Yeah, not a good comparison at all. Murdering has really horrible consequences. Hacking in a video game not so much. People will go through a LOT of hassle to hack in online games. Hacking in BF4 get's you banned and is a pain in the ass to do. Yet I see people get banned in chat all the time for doing it. The Division is a hackers wet dream.

I tried the Shadow tweak for SLI...helps but I'm still getting between 45 and 60 FPS which sounds like it would be fine, except the game does not feel smooth at all. Lots of stutter/mouse lag seems to be apparent. Not super impressed.

GPU utilization seems to be maxed for both cards but this game just does not look good enough to justify that kind of performance.

Overall the problem is that the game is just not that fun. It feels extremely generic and there are dozens of cover-based third person shooters that are just as good if not better than what we've seen so far.

Yeah, not a good comparison at all. Murdering has really horrible consequences. Hacking in a video game not so much. People will go through a LOT of hassle to hack in online games. Hacking in BF4 get's you banned and is a pain in the ass to do. Yet I see people get banned in chat all the time for doing it. The Division is a hackers wet dream.
My point is that more people WON'T hack then DO hack. Your chances of playing in a clean server is significantly higher than one with a cheater.

Every game has hackers.. This is hardly an argument.

So how is the hacking in this beta? i have not gone in the dark zone, just played enough to make sure i get the participation weapon unlock.

So how is the hacking in this beta? i have not gone in the dark zone, just played enough to make sure i get the participation weapon unlock.

I didn't know it's a weapon unlock. We're you able to unlock it in the beta?

It must be lack of enough GPU RAM, but my SLI'd 980s can't manage more than about 30FPS at 3440x1440. 2560x1080 I can manage 50-60 FPS all day long at the same settings.

The Division's open beta is fantastic on PC

The environments are ridiculously detailed, the missions are varied, the shooting feels great, and the light role-playing game mechanics work well with letting players choose their own play style. I can really see myself dropping a lot of time into this game...What really, really impressed me about The Division’s PC port are the option menus. I have never seen a PC game, much less an Ubisoft game, cram in so many options...

Settled in tonight and played for about 3hrs straight which is very rare for me anymore I might play a game an hr at a time.

I have not yet went to the dark zone I'm just doing missions leveling up and getting gear it's a lot of fun.

The environments are ridiculously detailed, the missions are varied, the shooting feels great, and the light role-playing game mechanics work well with letting players choose their own play style. I can really see myself dropping a lot of time into this game...What really, really impressed me about The Division’s PC port are the option menus. I have never seen a PC game, much less an Ubisoft game, cram in so many options...

Wow...really? The author has never seen a PC game with more options than The Division? Probably shouldn't be writing for a PC gaming article if he's that ill-informed...

That article is embarrassing.

the game has the best depiction of snowfall ever...really gorgeous with the lighting...no wonder they call it the Snowdrop engine...the beta convinced me that I will like the game so I'm in if I can snag a decently priced Nvidia code...hopefully the map will be huge and the Dark Zone more populated then it is now...as it is now there's a lot of dead space where you are just running around with nothing to do looking for the next enemy NPC, Rogue or chopper extraction

the game has the best depiction of snowfall ever...really gorgeous with the lighting...no wonder they call it the Snowdrop engine...the beta convinced me that I will like the game so I'm in if I can snag a decently priced Nvidia code...hopefully the map will be huge and the Dark Zone more populated then it is now...as it is now there's a lot of dead space where you are just running around with nothing to do looking for the next enemy NPC, Rogue or chopper extraction

The SP portions alone were enough to get me to preorder. I don't think I'll be touching any of the Dark Zone

UPDATE: Ubisoft has responded with this official comment:

"We are aware of the cheating issues in the Closed Beta on PC. The team is fully committed to providing solutions against this and a system will be in place to ensure a fair experience for players when the game is released on March 8th 2016"

lol sure

If they were serious about cheating, there would already have been "solutions"

Back