The Division 2: A Technical Discussion with the Developers

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Ubisoft Technical Director Calle Lejdfors has been interviewed by PC Games Hardware (PCGH) where he discusses the technical aspects of The Division 2. He talks about how the development team used GPS and LIDAR to map Washington, D.C. for maximum realism, why DX12 will again be the best choice for gamers in The Division 2, new technical features that have been implemented into the game, and even newer tech that is still in development such as support for variable rate shading. Anti-cheat technology has been improved and the game has been adjusted to make its "netcode" drastically better. The only aspect of the game that Calle Lejdfors lamented not improving was large scale destruction events. Most consumer internet connections aren't capable of transmitting the amount of data for such events fast enough.

PC Games Hardware:4) Can you explain to us how DC's various districts were so authentically implemented in the game? Did you use photogrammetry? What tricks do you use to make the world seem alive and threatening?

Calle Lejdfors (Ubisoft):
As I said above, the Snowdrop engine now has support for importing GIS and LIDAR data. This enables us to very quickly create a 1-to-1 scale version of DC. This present-day version is then what we base our version of a post-calamity DC on. This support is not limited to only roads and houses, but also the placement of garage entrances, lamp posts, and all the way down to individual road side trees. We do use photogrammetry to produce authentic textures and assets.

Game is looking good. Really looking forward to squading up with my friends.

Remember how cool division looked in its trailers? People could log into your game with their phone and tablet and assist with drones to provide recon? Shooting out the tires on cars would lower them so you could get a shot at someone from behind cover?

Remember how cool division looked in its trailers? People could log into your game with their phone and tablet and assist with drones to provide recon? Shooting out the tires on cars would lower them so you could get a shot at someone from behind cover?
Uhh... I don't recall that ever being a thing in The Division. Sounds like you're talking about Watch Dogs.

That said I did enjoy the game. I am waiting to see reviews for this before purchasing. I really did like playing co-op with friends on the first one.

I played the division for what seemed like forever now, but I told my friends that there was no way I would buy Division 2 due to how the devs handled the first one. Then I see it as a bundled game for the Vega 2...

LOL, damn I completely forgot about that bullshit trailer with the stupid fake gamer nonsense.

I really wish they would have real chat instead of this 'in-character' chat that goes on in trailers. I try and say "theres a target on your 10" and it would be faster to just shoot the enemy for them than to explain an analog clock.

I think I am just bitter about that trailer because I watched it several times and showed a few friends because I was so excited for the game. Was a disappointment to me but also I did get quite a few fun hours out of it too. So I am cautious this time.

The detail in that old trailer still looks better than the new trailer. They just went way too far above and beyond in promotional fluff back then.

I really wish they would have real chat instead of this 'in-character' chat that goes on in trailers. I try and say "theres a target on your 10" and it would be faster to just shoot the enemy for them than to explain an analog clock.

I think I am just bitter about that trailer because I watched it several times and showed a few friends because I was so excited for the game. Was a disappointment to me but also I did get quite a few fun hours out of it too. So I am cautious this time.

The detail in that old trailer still looks better than the new trailer. They just went way too far above and beyond in promotional fluff back then.
Yeah real in game chat....

Steve: Hey Bill, whats this I hear about you bitching out last night?
Bill: Fuck you Steve I didn't bitch out I just had work in the morning!

Ted: HEY YOU GUYS <Proceed to throw a grenade at his own feet>

Steve & Bill: Fucking Ted .....

Yeah real in game chat....

Steve: Hey Bill, whats this I hear about you bitching out last night?
Bill: Fuck you Steve I didn't bitch out I just had work in the morning!

Ted: HEY YOU GUYS <Proceed to throw a grenade at his own feet>

Steve & Bill: Fucking Ted .....

It's fun being Ted.

Back