The Disc in drive D is not formatted?

HardLiner

Gawd
I turned my computer on this morning went out of the room and when I came back it was frozen on a black screen, so I rebooted and now when I click on by 2Tb drive is says The disk in drive D has not been formatted Do you want to format now?

The drive is only a week or two old. Virus?

Last edited:
Run a checkdisk on it first. I've had drives do all kinds of stuff. Could have lost the FAT, or any number of things.

Run a checkdisk on it first. I've had drives do all kinds of stuff. Could have lost the FAT, or any number of things.

Tools, Error checking....nothing happens.

When I go to Computer management,

Damn I don''t want to lose all my files.

Tools, Error checking....nothing happens.

Huh, don't think I've ever done it that way--always the command prompt. You learn something new every day! :p

When you say nothing happens... does it test it and find no errors, or actually doesn't do the test?

Nothing happens, doesn't do the test. I opened my case and the drive feels warm so I guess it is running.

I would hit the format button to see what happens but I got to see if I can save my data first.

Maybe try a non-destructive hard drive test utility first then. Hitachi's DFT usually works with all manufacturers. Or, use your manufacturer's software. WD has tools that can be run within Windows, but DFT and Samsung have bootable discs you download.

At least that will tell you if the drive is good. From there, you might need to look at Spinrite or some other drive utility. I've had it happen before, but don't remember what I did to fix it off the top of my head.

IMO I think your data is fine and something just screwed up and your partition table got corrupted. I know with Linux if you know exactly how the partitions were setup you can recreate them without destroying anything - but not sure about NTFS. Doing a quick google I found http://www.ptdd.com/ which has a free partition table fixer. Havent used it but it might be worth a shot.

Otherwise if you are unable to get your partition back, you can always use GetDataBack (GDB) to scan the drive and then copy everything to another disk, and then format your broken one and test it to see if you need to RMA it, or just start using it again. I have used GDB many times in the past and it is great. Here is their site - you can use the demo free to verify that it can recover your stuff and then purchase afterwards.

The seagate tools were no good it didn't see the drive, ptdd seen the drive but wouldn't let me select it to fix the partition. GDB worked I am able to get my files back unfortunately I only have a 80Gb drive and I have 165GB's of data I need to back up.:(

I don't know what to do either buy an external hard drive for backup or I might buy a NAS and fill it with hard drives over time(raid 5?). BTW Is there any place that has free storage online for the mean time?

Have you tried any recovery software on it?
If you absolutely have to have your files, GetDataBack and a whole slew of others are great for recovering files.

Have you tried any recovery software on it?
If you absolutely have to have your files, GetDataBack and a whole slew of others are great for recovering files.

I have recovered my files using GetDataBack (GDB) the only problem I have no place to store all my data so I can reformat the corrupted drive.

Seriously just spring $100 for an external hard drive. buy one now.

Obviously you don't have a backup of your stuff, so you need one anyway. If the drive had actually died rather than just the partition, you would have lost it all. (Unless you paid a hell of a lot more than $100 to recovery it from a data recovery place)

You can always get a NAS later - but remember, RAID 5 != Backup. You need your data in multiple places.

More problems, so I backed up my data and went to format the drive about half way through the format I got an error and it couldn't continue. So I went to disk management and tried a quick format and now I only have 931.53Gb's drive out of 2TB??:confused: For what ever reason I can use the drive now but only half .....what could be the problem??

I suggest you install and run CrystalDiskInfo (reads the SMART data that the drive keeps) and see if the drive thinks it is operating abnormally.

Holy God I think I fixed it, I was reading in another forum http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255691-32-bought-drive-bios-detect that the Bios wasn't reading the Hard drives correctly so I checked my bios and it was from 2007 so I updated it to the newest version restarted my system and clicked on My Computer and the hard drive was still reading 931.53Gb. Then I went into hard drive management and noticed that this time there was a 932.53 partition and another one next to it 932.53 unallocated partition...so I deleted the first partition and they merged back into one 2tb partition and all seems well now....Knock on wood this doesn't happen again.

I never would have expected that. I knew there are problems with 3TB drives and many older controllers but did not 2TB would cause an issue like that. Thanks for reporting back. I will try to rememember this thread the next time this happens to someone...

Back