The Destiny 2 Apology Tour Continues

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Even the most hardcore fans are finding it difficult to defend Bungie and the decisions they are making with the Destiny sequel. There is now controversy regarding the frequency of tokens earned from Faction Rallies and weapons received from Faction Engrams: both have been quietly throttled, forcing players to play longer to be awarded.

They are clearly listening to fans on many counts and making appropriate adjustments along the way to improve the game. The issue is that, after each apology for dropping the ball, they pick a completely different area of the game to make the exact same mistakes in, don't communicate to the community what has changed, then apologize when everyone gets upset.

Is the game that bad? I keep missing the good deals on the codes in the B/S but it looks like that isn't a bad thing...

Is the game that bad? I keep missing the good deals on the codes in the B/S but it looks like that isn't a bad thing...

The game is fine (if still somewhat lacking in the story department). The problems include the naked emphasis on micro-transactions above all, a very lackluster first DLC, and most of all the consistently tone-deaf and transparently disingenuous replies to the concerns of their customers.

I just don't play games with Microtransactions period. In addition to this I talk shit on these companies, I warm people away from these games and I will even lie against these companies to give them as much of a black mark as possible. I was at the check out counter in the electronics dept. at Walmart when a kid was begging his mom for new Star Wars Battlefield 2 when I simple leaned over and told her if you buy that game for your son he will be begging you for more and more money. I told her the game is designed to get kids to spend hundreds of dollars to play the game. She walked out without buying the game.

The only game I ever played that had a store that didn't seem bad at all was World of Warcraft. Tons of content and if you wanted a name change or a special pet or mount you could buy one which of course gave the company an additional stream of income.

Why other game companies do not do this is just crazy to me.

There are several ways to make money. The best way is to give gamers a great game that isn't behind a paywall, earning additional income through good will and NOT losing income when people do not by their product because it's behind a paywall and a in-game store with player services. Name changes, titles, pets, mounts, weapon skins, etc etc. People love to personalize their game. And if a game doesn't have these features, they need to add them in so they can create good will and a much better player experience.

Or they can just continue to piss people off, lose sales and hope to make it up buy getting kids to spend hundreds of dollars on one god damn game.

I just don't play games with Microtransactions period. In addition to this I talk shit on these companies, I warm people away from these games and I will even lie against these companies to give them as much of a black mark as possible. I was at the check out counter in the electronics dept. at Walmart when a kid was begging his mom for new Star Wars Battlefield 2 when I simple leaned over and told her if you buy that game for your son he will be begging you for more and more money. I told her the game is designed to get kids to spend hundreds of dollars to play the game. She walked out without buying the game.

The only game I ever played that had a store that didn't seem bad at all was World of Warcraft. Tons of content and if you wanted a name change or a special pet or mount you could buy one which of course gave the company an additional stream of income.

There are several ways to make money. The best way is to give gamers a great game that isn't behind a paywall, earning additional income through good will and NOT losing income when people do not by their product because it's behind a paywall and a in-game store with player services. Name changes, titles, pets, mounts, weapon skins, etc etc. People love to personalize their game. And if a game doesn't have these features, they need to add them in so they can create good will and a much better player experience.

Or they can just continue to piss people off, lose sales and hope to make it up buy getting kids to spend hundreds of dollars on one god damn game.
Agree with you 100% , sadly there's billions of dollars the say we are wrong.

I found a copy for 15$ at a goodwill. I haven't traded it in but it's not as enjoyable as destiny 1. The problem is, the story still feels really lacking. There are plotline threads in d1 that feel unfinished. The stranger who says "I don't have time to explain why Idon't have time to explain" Why haven't the finished or even hinted at that main story point? Match Making a complete joke and far too dependent on host (STILL!) Match Making is still a cut above garbage.

I stopped playing. Stopped caring. Glad I got rid of my D1 collectors edition awhile ago.

Bungie's soul is died somewhere with the split of 343 studios.

Micro transactions

As far as I'm concerned this loot box shit is a form of gambling and should be regulated as such. If you're 18+ and want to blow your money on in-game trash have at it, but it should be illegal for them to marketing or sell their product to anyone under the age of 18. Frankly, I'd be happy if games containing loot boxes were rated AO by the ESRB.

What would really help Bungie is communicating changes they want to make to the community prior to implementation. With the feedback they can then choose to modify the change or leave well enough alone. Lack of communication is biting Bungie in the ass big time. They'd spend a lot less time on game issues if they would listen to the community then to just go off on some poorly thought out idea thinking they are improving the game for everyone when it turns out it isn't the case. This, I believe, can be said for almost every company in the industry. Communication is key.

I got the game free with a 1080ti.

Its okay- I never did finish the first one though.

Im not one to ever buy dlc or loot boxes or whatever- but it seems like a decent shooter.

Runs pretty nice, except for it crashes when trying to overclock the GPU.

Damn, and it seemed like in the first game they were so good and transparent about changes to the game.

Nice horse you have, what is it 22 hands?

If you’re lying about publishers to stop sales of microtransaction games you’re just as bad. Also, don’t shop at Walmart please.

And ironic that you don’t play these games except WoW, when Destiny and Destiny 2 the microtransactions you’re so vehemently against are simply cosmetic and add to personalization similar to your WoW example. Granted some of that personalization did use to be free and is now either earned or bought.

Not entirely defending the practices of Destiny or other microtransactions here at is far more bad than good, but some games don’t really paywall non cosmetic content.

Lootboxes on the other hand can fuck right off and are basically gambling. They’re only acceptable as a random element of a game that can’t be purchase and only earned.

I got the game with my 1080 Ti and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The story aspires to be something grandiose but it never quite gets there. Not once have I found myself limited by the need for MT, I haven't spent a penny in game or even felt the need. There's lots of armor styles which function all the same once you get to end game and tons of shaders to customize the color of your weapons and armor. I've noticed that by not being a part of any game community I'm able to enjoy the game without all the drama some gamers want to inject into the game. I don't even get the controversy about drop rate or whatever, I have a lot of exotic armor pieces and a few exotic weapons. I've played start to finish, including the DLC and picked up a couple dozen bright engrams.

I waited a long time to deal with the 1st one and will likely do the same here. Just doesn’t excite me and later on there is enough content to play awhile.

Yeah it's a pity. The game's graphics and gameplay are beautiful. I still play it, but when you max out your charcters it plateaus hard. There's no incentive to keep playing. There are seriously messed up predatorial microtransaction mechanisms in the game that will make you want to buy the in game lootboxes (bright engrams), but even those are messed up. When you buy them, the game gives absolute garbage for doing so..

Currently this week there's a "faction rally" event, and they've not only throttled the reward tokens, but they've heavily weighted the RNG of what the tokens reward you with, by giving you the same weapons over and over again. (while there are other weapons in the same lootpool that are worth grinding for.) Pretty crappy when you grind for 1-2 hours and get 6 of the same gun, etc. It's even worse when the game is pretty and has good gunplay, etc. That's what people are angry about.

Pretty, but shallow. Think of D2 like a cute girl worth sleeping with a while, but not a waifu. XD

The gameplay is really good. What Bungie keeps screwing up are the rewards and messaging to the community.

I disagree. The gunplay is unmatched outside of VR games, but if you go back right now and play Halo 2, 3 or Reach campaigns (especially co-op) you realize that Destiny is nothing more than a wave shooter with lottery loot and endlessly recycled/reskinned content. Destiny has a few epic moments, but none of the magic Bungie had is there. Also, the new raids and nightfalls practically eliminate mediocre players from participating entirely, which is pretty hard on friendships. Bungie has gone from endless fun to endless frustration IMO.

This just seems to be a self fulfilling result of gaming getting successful. Think back a few years when we started to see articles about how gaming as an industry was topping the more traditional big dogs of entertainment. The industry has consolidated into major publicly held companies, and the decision makers has changed from game designers/devs to business fuckboys who see nothing but ways to try to extract cash. Goodwill is being flushed in exchange for short term profits. Hell, just recently we learned that just before the launch of Overwatch, the devs had to fight tooth and nail to make all the heroes available, can you imagine having bought OW and then having to pay for individual heroes? Big studios are going to continue this shit until they really start to feel the heat, SW BF2 being the first wakeup call, hopefully of many.

The gameplay is fine but you'll finish it in 2 -3 weeks and there nothing to do. DLC don't add anything to the game. Basically the worst MMO game i've ever played.

Back