The Definitive AMD Ryzen 7 Real-World Gaming Guide @ [H]

Did anyone commenting here actually READ the damn article??? Seriously, you guys are arguing over a 3-4 fps difference between the "king" intel CPU and the Ryzen! For ME, personally, 3-4 fps isn't enough to sway my decision one way or another. I suppose a lot of HardOCP readers ARE concerned about every last drop of performance, but these benchmarks show AMD running neck and neck with intel EVEN ON GAMING and providing real competition! I can't wait to see the Threadripper benchmarks!

Why would they do something crazy like read the article? ;) That is just not the way things are done around these parts. :D Also, they could not then bash AMD like some have been doing since what seems like forever. ;) Oh well, I personally am a out and out AMD fan and really am happy with my 1700 and 1700X builds. Using M.2 SSD's as boot drives sure makes things faster as well.

Edit: I was happy with my FX 8300 and FX 8350 builds as well, although I personally never reached high overclocks like others did. An FX 9590 would have been fun to play with with a Asus 990FX Sabretooth r3 board but, now it is just not worth it.

Why would they do something crazy like read the article? ;) That is just not the way things are done around these parts. :D Also, they could not then bash AMD like some have been doing since what seems like forever. ;) Oh well, I personally am a out and out AMD fan and really am happy with my 1700 and 1700X builds. Using M.2 SSD's as boot drives sure makes things faster as well.

Edit: I was happy with my FX 8300 and FX 8350 builds as well, although I personally never reached high overclocks like others did. An FX 9590 would have been fun to play with with a Asus 990FX Sabretooth r3 board but, now it is just not worth it.
Being completely honest for all the years I have owned this 8350, Until this year when I played Fallout4 (a lot of Mods) I haven't felt it was holding me back at all. I love the ability to Multitask on this CPU and how effortless it is, but as is usually the case, the time comes to upgrade. Probably not till late this year, I will get a Ryzen system. Got one for my wife and gotta say it doesn't break a sweat at stock. It is a R5 1600 (nonX) and gotta be the best deal going as far as performance/Price/cores/threads. Now obviously I am gonna go 8core but TR looks enticing but an absolute overkill for me, but when has that ever stopped me.

I am looking at building a Threadripper 16c/32t system with 32GB of DDR-3200 (or better), dual 1080tis (unless Nvidia releases something new before my build starts), a third card for PhysX processing (not sure what I will go with), and either AIO cooling for the CPU and both 1080tis or a custom loop cooling system, with at least 1 M.2 drive. Cant wait to get this project started! (but will probably have to wait until early next year...hopefully some of the components like the SSD drives will go down.

Oh well, I personally am a out and out AMD fan and really am happy with my 1700 and 1700X builds.

I am a fan of nobody. But it is good AMD exists, else the Intel tax would be too high. It's so much better when there is competition. It's been an exciting year. Ups and downs, and all. I haven't been entirely satisfied with my Ryzen 7 build (I think y'all may remember a ranty thread from a while back), but AMD kept their promise about BIOS updates. RAM nearly back up to full speed again. Stability has never been a problem - it's been rock solid from day one. Easy build. I think I'm back to being pretty happy with it again.

I'm hoping Zen+/Zen2 will show some IPC and clock speed improvements to narrow the gap. But all in all... it's been a good year for enthusiasts and fans of either brand. Intel finally got off the ass and stopped rehashing quads. Skylake X was a nice change. And Coffee Lake looking good. Pricing so much better too.

I don't believe the folks who said Intel would have just done that out of the goodness of their hearts. They knew Zen was coming a long time ago. Competition, my man. Competition!

You are doing some serious voodoo to arrive at $380 for 1600x. That kind of bogus math smells like our politicians inflating numbers for single-payer healthcare. You are way overvaluing your threads. Bottom line it is effective performance that matters, and performance in games that really matters, and that is this article is about.

You can see that 1600x is worse at single core and quad core performance, by significant amounts, stock clock or overclocked:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/3885vs3920
BTW insulting people about looking for handouts, is utter nonsense. We work hard for our money and we have every right to demand that AMD price more competitively, so we can have a real price war, so intel will be forced to reduce their prices again, and not just stop at the 10% they did so far. This will be for the benefit of all end users, consumers, gamers alike. I do NOT know why you are so eager to support AMD's overpricing.

When a solution is only second best, and comes later to the market, it is pure arrogance to price higher than the incumbent. AMD needs to go back to roots provide competitive pricing like they did with socket A AthlonXP. Then they will have a real chance of taking market share and earning back that goodwill they once had. BTW when people bought those AthlonXPs back in the early 2000s, they were not taking handouts either. AMD has done this before, and they can do it again. AMD owes this to their fans, customers, gaming and computing community at large.

You sure like to make assumptions. FWIW, I still have my 3 year old FX-8320 system, that is doing a really fine job of bottlenecking my GTX970. Whereas by 6 year old i7-2600k and i5-2500K has not slowed down the GTX970. The sand bridges only started show inkling of limitations when I got my GTX1070s.

The 1440P data with the GTX1080ti already shows Ryzens crimping the the GPU performance, and when video cards get fast enough for 4K, you will see that crimp on 4K too. It is blantantly obvious at 1080P, people just try to discount as gamers with high-end rigs no longer game at 1080P. But the data does NOT lie, and it points to serious bottleneck and future time bomb.

In two years, I want the flexibility to upgrade by GPU without fear that the CPU will limit it. Ryzen has shown no data to alleviate that fear, but rather quite the contrary. So I must hedge the bet, and Ryzen must be priced significantly lower than Intel.

In two years a quad core, even hyper threaded, will be way more limiting in current games, no matter the ipc or frequency. With AMD and Intel both pumping up core count and threading, you can be sure that 1-3 years from now a quad core will be gimping any high end video card, much like an i3 will in today's new games. If you're worried about upgrading your gpu in 2 years and having the processor limit it, you shouldn't be looking at anything with less than 6 cores. If you want to pay double for an Intel with 6 cores, go ahead, but 2 years from now I'd much rather have a 1700 than a 7700k for any new game. And if you look beyond that, when you go to upgrade your 7700k, well guess what, time for a new motherboard because that socket is already obsolete where if you have a 1700, drop in a Ryzen 2 as AMD doesn't replace their socket every 2 years.

Back