The def did drop the 580 prices, things r shaping up.

Yeah, looks like prices have dropped significantly. $480 AR for a 3 GB 580 is not a bad deal really.

Yeah, looks like prices have dropped significantly. $480 AR for a 3 GB 580 is not a bad deal really.

That's approaching the point where it is a good buy versus the 7970. Nvidia should have adopted that pricing when the 7970 first dropped and put some pressure on AMD.

Maybe they decided it was better to let AMD sell 7970s at $550, since that gave them top-cover to sell GK104s at $500+? Or maybe my conspiracy theory hat is on too tight today.

Yeah, they were a little late to the game with the price drops. Frankly they could stand to drop a little lower, but when the 7950 is $450 and the 580 3 GB is $30 more and is a bit faster, I guess that's probably right around where they want it in terms of price. I'd have liked to see the 3 GB 580 at $450 to directly undercut the 7950 but that probably won't happen any time soon.

these prices don't really compete with each other. It's like we have two companies using the exact same price : performance ladder and neither of them wants to push the other off. IMO screams of price fixing.

Well yeah, in reality the high-end this generation (and even to some extent last generation) is overpriced. But in relation on AMD's pricing (read: overpriced) these 580s are coming down to a reasonable level.

Yeah, they were a little late to the game with the price drops. Frankly they could stand to drop a little lower, but when the 7950 is $450 and the 580 3 GB is $30 more and is a bit faster, I guess that's probably right around where they want it in terms of price. I'd have liked to see the 3 GB 580 at $450 to directly undercut the 7950 but that probably won't happen any time soon.

but under that logic, why not lower their price to a tad under the 7950 and dominate that sales bracket?

but under that logic, why not lower their price to a tad under the 7950 and dominate that sales bracket?

Probably because they aren't making any more of those cards - so selling thier existing stock at $480 makes more sense to them then selling them for $440 when they have a limited inventory. They can't make a long-term impact on 7950 sales with these cards, so why bother taking lower profits by trying.

Back