The Deamcast story

Not enough detail in the video, but yeah sad story. The dreamcast actually had a decent list of games still considered to be some of the best games ever made.

Alien Front Online
Crazy Taxi
Soul Caliber
Power stone 1 & 2
Skies of arcadia
Tech Romancer
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Phantasy Star Online
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Jet Set Radio
Project Justice
Giga Wing
Guilty Gear X
The House of the Dead 2
Ikaruga
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Shenmue (FU I loved it)

I'm not trying to be a Fanboy. I've owned literally every system since the Atari 2600, but I never found that many games I enjoyed(still enjoy) on the PS2. Xbox and Gamecube were ok, but all kidding aside to me the dreamcast still has the best colors. half the games came with huge Epilepsy warnings.

Ah Dreamcast, good system. I also liked the Saturn. Good times.

Shenmue (FU I loved it)

It's okay to like Shenmue dude, haha.

To add to your list:

Bomberman Online (probably the best version of Bomberman to date)
Ecco the Dolphin
MDK 2

Although the last 2 were ported to the PS2 later, they were still pretty amazing exclusives when they were first released.

Wow, its been 10 years already? Fuck, I just graduated that year from HS and took a day off from my candy factory job to go pick mine up and play it all day!

Skies of Arcadia is still one of my favorite rpgs ever. That's alot coming from this huge Final Fantasy fanboy.

don't forget
Plasma Sword
GunBird
Grandia 1 and 2
and not but last

TYPING OF THE DEAD!!!

...and the NFL 2K series.

The day I brought my DC home, I had the CPU running a game between the Cowboys and Redskins. My dad came downstairs during a replay segment and commented that that game aired last week, and asked if I recorded it.

His non-videogame playing self had to pick his lower jaw up off the floor LOL.

Not to mentioned the NBA 2K series. 2k sports was literely born and raised on the dreamcast platform. tehy was owned by sega as well and EA sports wasnt missed not one bit because of these guys.

i loved shenmue. its my favourite game of all time and it was techniqaly a masterpiece. it was the "crysis" of the early 2000's in terms of graphics and animations but it had the gameplay and storyline to match that quality back then.

Such a shame they diddnt finish off the story. i am hoping one day they can on todays hardware as the story as been written already. such a damm shame about the dreamcast. It had soo much original games

Skies of Arcadia is still one of my favorite rpgs ever. That's alot coming from this huge Final Fantasy fanboy.

Yeah, it's my favorite RPG to date, though a few others have come pretty close.

Sword of the Bezerk: Guts Rage. Fucking awesomest sleeper hit game ever.

YES! I've never been a fan of hack-n-slah games, but I really liked SotB:GR, and have always wanted to see a sequel.

Another game I really liked was Toy Commander. That should be remade for XBLA, with online play!

How is Chu Chu Rocket not on a list yet?

Dreamcast had the best first year of games of any console I've gotten. I remember hauling to the next county over to pick mine up on 9/9/99 just to beat my friend to the store.

i bought my dreamcast just to play marvel vs capcom 2 and street fighter 3

to this day, it is still the single best console to ever be released

I have my DC sitting on my shelf, I dont have the video cable for it though, cant find it for the life of me!

I lined up at Babbage's in Peoria, IL for a Dreamcast the night of 9/8/99. I had my preorder put in back in July. I went home that night with a console, a VMU, NFL 2K and Sonic Adventure. It was a thing of beauty, and continues to me.

And it's still getting new releases:

http://kotaku.com/5355311/happy-birthday-dreamcast-heres-a-new-game

I am an unabashed and unapologetic SEGA fanboy. I wish they'd had something more exciting for a 9/9 release than Sonic and Knuckles for XBLA. Crazy Taxi 1 XBLA, maybe.

I still have my DC with 4 VMU's and controllers, guns and everything. I always thought this system had so many fun games. The thing I never understood was that the system sold better than SEGA ever intended, and yet it wasn't good enough. That never made any sense to me.

I still have my DC with 4 VMU's and controllers, guns and everything. I always thought this system had so many fun games. The thing I never understood was that the system sold better than SEGA ever intended, and yet it wasn't good enough. That never made any sense to me.
It's not hard to understand if you believe Peter Moore. He says they were given an unattainable sales goal by Sega Japan because he knew they wanted to pull the plug on the console business and go to a software publisher business model.

Doesn't make it suck any less; I bought an Xbox specifically for Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi 3, and a handful of other Sega titles. I bought a Gamecube for Super Monkey Ball 2. I didn't touch a PS2 for a long time after the Dreamcast died; I blamed Sony somehow. When Disgaea came out I got one because it reminded me alot of the Shining Force games - less pretentious than FF Tactics, somewhat strange and whimsical while still serious...all that.

I lined up at Babbage's in Peoria, IL for a Dreamcast the night of 9/8/99. I had my preorder put in back in July. I went home that night with a console, a VMU, NFL 2K and Sonic Adventure. It was a thing of beauty, and continues to me.

And it's still getting new releases:

http://kotaku.com/5355311/happy-birthday-dreamcast-heres-a-new-game

I am an unabashed and unapologetic SEGA fanboy. I wish they'd had something more exciting for a 9/9 release than Sonic and Knuckles for XBLA. Crazy Taxi 1 XBLA, maybe.

Posted this in the other dreamcast thread. :p

I still have my Dreamcast. Love that system. Still have a lot of games. Surprised no one mentioned Quake 3 Arena. I bought the keyboard and mouse for the Dreamcast JUST for that game. I still have them and they still work. If more console systems let you incorporate a Keyboard and mouse to any new games, that would be sweet.

Only problem I'm having is that I have to put in the time and date every time I turn it on. Don't know why. I can't even save my Chao in the chao gardens in both Sonic Adventure (and I'll have to admit, the second one was great but the first one was my favorite) games but I can save them if I leave them in my VMU.

Ah the Dreamcast. I was working at EA when it came out and there was little work done that day. :)

I still have my Dreamcast. Love that system. Still have a lot of games. Surprised no one mentioned Quake 3 Arena. I bought the keyboard and mouse for the Dreamcast JUST for that game. I still have them and they still work. If more console systems let you incorporate a Keyboard and mouse to any new games, that would be sweet.

Only problem I'm having is that I have to put in the time and date every time I turn it on. Don't know why. I can't even save my Chao in the chao gardens in both Sonic Adventure (and I'll have to admit, the second one was great but the first one was my favorite) games but I can save them if I leave them in my VMU.

system's battery is probably dead...

replace it... the system is *so* easy to open and repair.... really, give it a shot....

Dreamcast's keyboard and mouse support truly was a great innovation....

goddamn, so much about the dreamcast was ahead of its time, I don't think any console short of the original NES can compare in terms of sheer innovation and quality....

makes me nostalgic now i have to go back to my parents' house and dig mine up thanks to this thread....

The best thing about marrying my wife was that she brought a Dreamcast into the relationship. Sadly, our dog ate all the cables as a puppy.

I'll have to hunt down replacements one of these days.

man why the fuck did the dreamcast fail?

I thought the universally accepted answer to this was the PS2...among other factors including lack of support from devs and Sega wanting to transition from the hardware biz to a software studio. But I imagine they didn't make that decision until they saw the future of the Dreamcast. :(

system's battery is probably dead...

replace it... the system is *so* easy to open and repair.... really, give it a shot....

Dreamcast's keyboard and mouse support truly was a great innovation....

goddamn, so much about the dreamcast was ahead of its time, I don't think any console short of the original NES can compare in terms of sheer innovation and quality....

makes me nostalgic now i have to go back to my parents' house and dig mine up thanks to this thread....

my keyboard was used for phantasy star online..first mmorpg i played.,,ya eff WOW

my keyboard was used for phantasy star online..first mmorpg i played.,,ya eff WOW

Phantasy Star online was a really fun game, You know they made a PC version right? I used to play that one too.

eff WOW. :p

I still play my dreamcast on a weekly basis, best game system for 2d/3d-fighting games. :D

Marvel vs. Capcom
Power Stone series
Street Fighter 3 (all 3)
Capcom vs. SNK series
Virtual Fighter 3
Soul Calibur
King of Fighters: Evolution
Last Blade
Street Fighter Zero 3

pick up a second Dreamcast off ebay for 20 bucks and some extra controllers/VMU ;)

I miss my VGA adapter.

How easy is it really to replace the battery and what kind of battery we talking? I'm assuming a watch battery of some sort.

Okay, maybe you guys can help me out. My freshman year at college, my roommate had a Dreamcast. He had a game, which <may> have been a Japanese import. You were this tiny 2d sprite with a rocket-pack, and you flew around levels shooting at things. All I really remember was there was a massive amount of stuff on the screen, and I think there was some big charge-up attack and the number of bolts you shot off was determined by the number of enemies in close proximity. Maybe, it's been awhile.

Any guesses? I think I'd recognize it if I saw it.

The Master System and the Dreamcast are two of my most favorite consoles ever, only bested by the Nintendo Gamecube in terms of bang for your buck gameplay value and the quality of the games released.

That's what pisses me off about the Wii... the amount of low rated games on the Wii is astounding compared to previous Nintendo systems. The big N used to have some pretty stiff quality measures for even getting a game licensed for release on it's systems, but with the Wii it seems they've gone loose and sloppy.

Anyway back to the DC... It's an awesome little box even by today's standards, and there is still an active development community for it believe it or not.

Oddly enough I can't believe its only been ten years since the debut of the Dreamcast - for some reason it seems like so much longer.

<EDIT>

That Rally game reminds me of R.C. Pro Am for the NES, anyone remember it? :D

</EDIT>

Okay, maybe you guys can help me out. My freshman year at college, my roommate had a Dreamcast. He had a game, which <may> have been a Japanese import. You were this tiny 2d sprite with a rocket-pack, and you flew around levels shooting at things. All I really remember was there was a massive amount of stuff on the screen, and I think there was some big charge-up attack and the number of bolts you shot off was determined by the number of enemies in close proximity. Maybe, it's been awhile.

bangai-o?

man why the fuck did the dreamcast fail?

IMO, it was too far ahead of a jump for developers and game players alike. Generally things fail because of this exact reason. People disregard what is seen as a revolution rather than an evolution - which seem almost counter intuitive. DC has increasingly epic games in size of scale and production value that only today are studios having to deal with. Think of any game like Shenmue even today and you’d be hard pressed to think of any. Think of a game like Seaman, you won't. It brought consoles from the shadows of PC's interconnected webs to giving them legs to stand on. From the perfect gaming controller, to the system itself, everything was tops. The marketing – never been replicated as well. The DC has a giant underground following which proves this point. It's almost as if you don't know what you have got until it is gone - and this may be the case for SEGA and the Dreamcast.

this is why I am boycotting the PS3 laddies, sony killed the dreamcast, which was way better than the PS1+2.

MDK?

Back