The DEA Awarded a Contract to Retrofit License Plate Readers into Speed Signs

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has awarded a contract to RU2 Systems to retrofit license plate reader (LPR) technology into RU2 Systems Radar Speed Display Trailers. These are the speed signs that you typically see on the side of the road warning you of breaking the speed limit by flashing your current speed on the digital sign. The DEA sees the LPR technology as a way to track, document and catch criminals in rural areas where normal LPR solutions can't be used. Privacy proponents like the EFF are against mass surveillance techniques such as LPR as they capture images of the driver and the data collected can be used to used to create a detailed profile of members of society.

We offer not only radar signs and VMS signs, but also Data Collection, Video Capture, Installation Accessories, and Equipment Refits to assist our clients in using information collected to improve traffic flow by increasing the consistency of drivers speeds. Our data collection technology collects information on drivers speeds, as well as consistency between drivers and numbers of drivers. This information provides traffic engineers with valuable data for future roadway designs.

Meh. LPR are already all around us. Atlanta and some of the suburbs are using LPR provided by Georgia Power. The participating cities share the LPR systems and get notifications based on specific parameters (expired tags, expired licenses, stolen, AMBER alerts.....etc). The municipals don't maintain the system/databases, Georgia Power does, and I'm not sure how much data they keep.

This is nice, I am all in favor of this I mean there are so many ways this could be abused but honestly I don't believe the US government is organized enough to actually abuse it,I am not sure they are organized enough to properly use it. In the end I am pretty sure this will end up being an expensive endeavor that falls into ruin along with many other US infrastructure projects.

Meh. LPR are already all around us. Atlanta and some of the suburbs are using LPR provided by Georgia Power. The participating cities share the LPR systems and get notifications based on specific parameters (expired tags, expired licenses, stolen, AMBER alerts.....etc). The municipals don't maintain the system/databases, Georgia Power does, and I'm not sure how much data they keep.
prostitution is all around us, let's stop all effort to curtail it.

Jesus fuck... Speed cameras already get thrown out because they are flagrantly unconstitutional. What makes them think abou shit is going to fly? I am 100% opposed to crap like this. They aren't calibrated, they aren't accurate, the cities do in fact abuse then and they aren't constitutional.

This Orwellian bullcrap needs to go, this will no doubt be another data point in the government's "meta tagging" projects. More data without context that can be used against your standard US citizen. You can't give them an inch when it comes to your data, because they will take a mile.

Jokes on them. I cant drive 10 feet without a traffic light.

hahahahahahahaha

*cries*

This kind of BS was one of the reasons I moved away from the big city to a small rural town. You don't see this kind of crap and cops don't even write speeding tickets unless you are doing 20 over and the noise of your car going by wakes them up from their nap.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
I can't really tell from reading, but it seems more to me that the speed limit part of the news is actually not related to what the DEA wants to do. It seems to me they want to collect license data and other forms of data for surveilance in general. The speed signs are convenient places to mount their systems. Not sure they actually care to capture speeders. Although certainly local highway patrol would probably love to get some of that license data and coorelate it to the speeds.

I can't really tell from reading, but it seems more to me that the speed limit part of the news is actually not related to what the DEA wants to do. It seems to me they want to collect license data and other forms of data for surveilance in general. The speed signs are convenient places to mount their systems. Not sure they actually care to capture speeders. Although certainly local highway patrol would probably love to get some of that license data and coorelate it to the speeds.

Yep. This is it exactly. They're not tracking the plates of speeders. They're tracking the plates of everyone who drives by, and storing it indefinitely.

Makes me want to just start pulling my plate off every time I drive.

I'm just gonna walk up to these and put some electrical tape on the lens. If they mount the camera high then I'll just throw a rock at it until it breaks. Don't need the stress of having to worry about getting a speeding ticket in the mail.

I'm just gonna walk up to these and put some electrical tape on the lens. If they mount the camera high then I'll just throw a rock at it until it breaks. Don't need the stress of having to worry about getting a speeding ticket in the mail.

You do that. Take a picture and post it here, 'cause otherwise you're talking out of your ass.

First deployment planned around Nov 6 near schools, fire stations and such.

The answer isn't more laws, regulations, or speed bumps. The answer is automated driving if you want to save lives. Anything else is just fucking ignorance.

In the case of this - or anything from law enforcement - It's really just revenue generating for the state. They give 0 fucks about your safety or anyone else's

Holy shit, so many people in this thread who's head is so far up the anti-gov ass is unbelievable. Big data tracking of your driving habits and commute are worth way more to your local politician than some bullshit speeding ticket to your corrupt ass PD.

You're not sure how much data they keep? When has anyone involved in mass surveillance of a population just been like "eh, fuck it let's dump all the mass surveillance data we have accumulated and not ues it for anything?"

. . . We offer not only radar signs and VMS signs, but also Data Collection, Video Capture, Installation Accessories, and Equipment Refits to assist our clients in using information collected to improve traffic flow by increasing the consistency of drivers speeds. Our data collection technology collects information on drivers speeds, as well as consistency between drivers and numbers of drivers. This information provides traffic engineers with valuable data for future roadway designs.

The sad thing is the reasons given for collecting data as stated in this excerpt from the OP don't need any of the extra data being collected. You don't need license plate #'s to figure traffic flow patterns. Or the driver's picture. A simple picture of the vehicle to know the type, say semi vs full size PU vs smart car, speed of each vehicle, and time of event. The rest of the data is for some other purpose.

I have passed several of those speed flashing gizmos in OK on the Turner Turnpike. After passing one, I know my speed was somewhere between 60 and 85 as the silly things can't ever show a consistent number. Even when I am the only vehicle for several hundred yards either way.

Guess I will have to start driving with the tailgate down on my PU. OK doesn't require front plates.

The answer isn't more laws, regulations, or speed bumps. The answer is automated driving if you want to save lives. Anything else is just fucking ignorance.

In the case of this - or anything from law enforcement - It's really just revenue generating for the state. They give 0 fucks about your safety or anyone else's
exactly, and worse of all that extra revenue isn't going to go back to the people. it'll go to some politician or the war chest. If the revenue was used to fix the streets, make the community better then why not. sadly it's just a dream

You do that. Take a picture and post it here, 'cause otherwise you're talking out of your ass.

You must have been a goodie two shoes growing up. Yea, people do fuck with this stuff a lot. Some adults even do. Definitely not talking out their ass. Of course, we tax payers pay to repair it. But, there are a lot of rebellious people out there that wouldn't think twice about destroying these things.

I'd be fine if they were for amber/silver alerts. Check license plates against the known alerts, no storage of data. If it's a match, pass it on. If not, drop it. I really don't think that would happen, though. I was thinking of seeing if a RaspPi could do something like that (read and compare license plates). I just don't trust any government entity to keep it legit.

Jesus fuck... Speed cameras already get thrown out because they are flagrantly unconstitutional. What makes them think abou shit is going to fly? I am 100% opposed to crap like this. They aren't calibrated, they aren't accurate, the cities do in fact abuse then and they aren't constitutional.

Come to Australia, we have speed cameras at most intersections and freeways. Police never give you a warning and will do you for 3km/h over. Instant loss of license for 24km/h over. You guys have it easy.

This is just another step towards complete surveillance. Some people like it, others are against it. Good luck changing either ones opinion on it.

This is nice, I am all in favor of this I mean there are so many ways this could be abused but honestly I don't believe the US government is organized enough to actually abuse it,I am not sure they are organized enough to properly use it. In the end I am pretty sure this will end up being an expensive endeavor that falls into ruin along with many other US infrastructure projects.

tisk tisk tisk if only you knew the truth about your foreign owned and controlled government.

this Democrat vs Republican charade is a scam since all parties serve the same Masters.

.... I was going..... *ahem*80*ahem* in a 45, and the thing said i was going 45.....

I don't support this one goddamn bit. (and no its not because i speed) Its because the fucking things are not calibrated once they leave the factory. EVER
At least here those things stop showing your real speed and flash the limit instead if you go way too fast, to avoid people from testing their top speed with them.

This kind of BS was one of the reasons I moved away from the big city to a small rural town. You don't see this kind of crap and cops don't even write speeding tickets unless you are doing 20 over ...
Here in Sweden it's those who live in rural areas that want speeding surveillance the most.
You don't want other drivers to habitually pass your home at 100 mph, do you?

Here LPR is used in two instances:
1. Collecting road tolls/taxes (in the few places where it's in use), All traffic passing is photographed, and
2. Automatic speed surveillance, which can be done by stationary or mobile radar/camera. Only those speeding (above some safety margin) get their picture taken.

All pictures taken are automatically cropped to show only the license plate and the driver's face before being transmitted from the camera for evaluation/action and storage.

Come to Australia, we have speed cameras at most intersections and freeways. Police never give you a warning and will do you for 3km/h over. Instant loss of license for 24km/h over. You guys have it easy.
I don't live there and have zero desire to do so.

You got everything but one little mistake. If they automate your driving they are monitoring that; and that means they can actually prevent you from going to anywhere. That is the real reason for automated. Do not let the bullshit reason(s) for why automated is needed or wanted. As if the real reason is not wanting to control you including where you can and cannot go.

But note, here is a true example of things to come. They do not even call it a GPS tracker-its called "the device:" http://www.myorego.org/

Yeah that makes sense. You'll just have the stress of an added felony for malicious destruction of property.

Back